Samsung trying to fight iMessage chat elitists with response graphic gallery

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    Obviously being left out bothers poor Android users....lol.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 39
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    entropys said:
    Other than how regrettably lame these are, the green bubble is unpopular for good reason: it means the text wasn’t free, and that the recipient can’t engage an array of fun features like piling up stickers, text effects or use features like facetime. That’s nothing to celebrate or have some bizarre arbitrary pride. 
    It also isn’t secure.

I can't believe it took 16 comments before someone even mentioned this. 

The tackiness of the graphics is something to poke fun at, sure.  And the questionable decision to actively point out that your competitor has a better product, well, that's something to laugh at as well.

But the biggest reason the non-iPhone messages are in a different color is that they're not secure and they're not private!  Green colored messages are colored that way as a Warning Label.  There's nothing samsung can do to fix that problem!
    edited August 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 39
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    Fatman said:
    I can't stand when an Android user is in a group chat and it defaults to the awfully outdated SMS protocol - it restricts what you can do (for example if you want to drop out or exclude a member, can't control that) . My daughter who uses an iPhone would text a group of her friends, one of which had an Android, so the whole thread becomes SMS based. I really could care less, until you realize that now all pictures & data sent within the group text count against your data plan - believe me it adds up quickly. I told my daughter I'd buy her friend an iPhone just to avoid my data getting hosed every month. Most Android users don't realize the flexibility of iMessage. It truly is a "killer app" that Apple should market more.
    The main issue is not that her friend is having an Android phone, but that Apple decided to revert back to SMS if a  non Apple device is added in the group.  Communication apps and especially group chat apps are preferably device agnostic.The goal of an communication app is to exchange ideas and thoughts within a group of people, the devices are just a technical detail.

In a country where iOS has 20% marketshare,  the chances that two random persons can communicate with iMessage is 4%, for 3 random persons it drops to 0.8%. This is one of the reasons why in countries with a lower iOS marketshare, iMessage is nothing more than the SMS app for iOS and Facetime is barely used. 

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 24 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    Fatman said:
    I can't stand when an Android user is in a group chat and it defaults to the awfully outdated SMS protocol - it restricts what you can do (for example if you want to drop out or exclude a member, can't control that) . My daughter who uses an iPhone would text a group of her friends, one of which had an Android, so the whole thread becomes SMS based. I really could care less, until you realize that now all pictures & data sent within the group text count against your data plan - believe me it adds up quickly. I told my daughter I'd buy her friend an iPhone just to avoid my data getting hosed every month. Most Android users don't realize the flexibility of iMessage. It truly is a "killer app" that Apple should market more.
    There is nothing killer about Messages and the fact that it isn't cross platform is detrimental to it virtually everywhere.

I wasn't aware of the problems you have suffered because no one I know uses it. The last time my wife received something conversational (not a simple SMS) via Messages was in 2014. No one I know on iOS uses it except as a SMS inbox (delivery notifications, bank transaction codes etc)

WhatsApp and Telegram rule the roost here and in most other places except perhaps the U.S and of course China where (WeChat and the like dominate) and even in the U.S WhatsApp is probably more widely used.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 39
    The Saturn V navigational computers was a 14KB computer. I'm pretty sure these developers will find a way to do it without infringing on users privacy. There are a lot of smart people out there. It's just a matter of time. Caveat: I'm not a developer. But, some of the apps out there are just awesome given the constraints of the medium.
    Yeesh. If I didn't already have an iPhone, these sad illustrations would make me want to do whatever it took to get one. They also make me appreciate how difficult it must be for Samsung to compete with Apple in the U.S. culture-wise.

Swing-and-a-miss.

So petty. They're always envious of Apples products and services.

If they make such a deal about them maybe Sammy should have invented the iPhone.
    Be careful of what you ask for...Sammy may just make that claim a la Al Gore.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    dysamoria said:
    It’s funny that, if I remember correctly from a story posted here, Apple tried to get the cell companies to take iMessage as an SMS replacement. Companies said no. Apple turned it into an Apple-unique, and apparently desirable, feature.

The notion of any marketing that points out the envy or whatever this is supposed to be... it’s so wrongheaded.

History repeats.

I do wish android/Windows users can get FaceTime/iMessage for a monthly fee.
    I remember when they were going to make FaceTime an open standard and said so on a big presentation. I don’t remember if they ever explained why they changed their mind.

Also, iMessage is handy for seeing ‘read’ notifications and seeing if the other parties are responding. Most messaging platforms seem to have that though. It’s just that plain old SMS doesn’t.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Haha, I enjoy a bit of petty corporate throwing shade.  All good fun.
  • Reply 28 of 39
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    JWSC said:
    viclauyyc said:
    For the love of god, can’t Sammy pay for a decent graphic designer? I think they just ask a random employee to do it. 
    Are the graphics effective for their intended audience?  Who can say.  They’re Android people just like me after all.
    Obviously being left out bothers poor Android users....lol.

Dehumanizing is not an effective marketing plan.

"Android people" and "iOS people" and "Mac people" and "Windows people" and "Samsung people" and "Xiaomi people" and "Ford people" and "Chevy people" and "Walmart people" and "Nordstrom people" are all... People. 

Classifying people, and worse ascribing human value as some are wont to do,  based on device or brand choices? Silliness on display IMO. 

Samsung's iMessage emoji's are equally as silly. Just not as harmful. 
    edited August 2019 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 29 of 39
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    And I thought Clippy looked bad.
    FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 30 of 39
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    mjtomlin said:
    That's great marketing... Bring attention to your main competitor with obvious envy.

#obviousenvy

entropys said:

• I was not aware there was such a thing as people actually getting consciously* excluded cause they have a green bubble. What sort of a tool would you be to do that to someone?

Yep. It’s a thing. I have group of 9 very close friends (including myself). We all have iPhones. Except one. The other guy that had a blackberry finally caved to Blue Bubble pressure. It’s just better. It’s faster, more secure, you can name your chats (we have several “clubs” like “music club” and “old car club”) add to & leave chats as others have mentioned and all the other good stuff. We have a main chat with everyone in it including android guy but it’s reserved only for official group memos about group meetups, birthday wishes and the like. If he’d just give in to good sense and switch to iPhone he’d instantly be added to a number of the “clubs”. Simple as that.

Edit: forgot to mention texting with androids always seems to screw up group threads splintering them into a half a dozen different chats which is of course, infuriating.

edited August 2019 tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 39
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Apple's iMessage makes things Simple for iPhone users. When it's each other (iPhones), it's using DATA and Apple's own message format. For everyone else, Android, whatever else, it's back to SMS (Cell) which everyone supports. At least SMS these days is free. The 20 cents each way or however much, like $20 for Unlimited was crazy.

Really, Google should be blamed because they can't seem to settle on any type of Message standard. it keeps changing. You need the Green and Blue Bubbles because imessage features are a ton more than SMS which is basally basic text only. Some people still PAY for SMS messages.

Personally, I don't care what bubble you are. I generally don't do any of the fancy stuff. I text Android users all the time. Personally I thing Apple really needs to put iMessage on Android!!! I think that could be HUGE and maybe become the default for everyone, at least in the U.S. Because again, Google can't seem to settle on anything. The people there get bored and want to move onto something new and exciting. Not keep working on something that's done to them. Look what happened to BBM. (Blackberry Messaging). It used to be HUGE, but it also was only on their phones for the longest time. It wasn't until Blackberry was already dying that they tried to put their messaging format onto iPhone and Android. They should have done that YEARS ago. It could have been the default for everyone by now, even to this day, even though their phones are gone.

I just don't think it's such a big thing to get people to buy a iPhone. I think it would be a much bigger deal to have iMessage on Android. SMS can just then fade away into history.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 39
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    I find the images completely unattractive. But there's a whole generation of cartoon art that uses that same stylized form. And it's very popular among younger readers and some older ones.

Just like not everybody like impressionism or cubism (I still have my Cube!) not everyone likes this style of drawing.

I had no idea I was an elitist though. One of my friends still uses an old pre-paid flip phone with a lot of money 'on the books'. One say I'll have to see if his carrier supports an iPhone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 39
    "You know what it’s like to be the green bubble. We made a whole gallery of green GIFs so you can message your blue bubble friends and show them it’s good to be green. 

#GreenDontCare 

The official Pithy on Giphy page of Samsung Mobile USA.

Such a lot of expended 
    energy and wasted time to let Samsung customers demonstrate that #GreensDoCare.
    edited August 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 39
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,728member
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:
    There is nothing killer about Messages and the fact that it isn't cross platform is detrimental to it virtually everywhere.
    And it's also the reason why Apple has been able to add new features very quickly.  Having to make decisions by committee (consortium of companies with competing interests) is tedious.

I wasn't aware of the problems you have suffered because no one I know uses it. The last time my wife received something conversational (not a simple SMS) via Messages was in 2014. No one I know on iOS uses it except as a SMS inbox (delivery notifications, bank transaction codes etc)
    That's so interesting.  Please tell me more about your little corner of the world which is nothing like mine.

WhatsApp and Telegram rule the roost here and in most other places except perhaps the U.S and of course China where (WeChat and the like dominate) and even in the U.S WhatsApp is probably more widely used.
    Yup, I've had people try to strong-arm me onto WhatsApp and I still refuse to have my private messages go through free services which can change how they monetize my data whenever it fits their shareholders' interests.  If/when Facebook/WhatsApp give a legally binding statement about how they use my personal data today and in the future, I'll reconsider.   But for now I'll stick with Messages thanks.
    tmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 35 of 39
    jeffdm said:
    dysamoria said:
    It’s funny that, if I remember correctly from a story posted here, Apple tried to get the cell companies to take iMessage as an SMS replacement. Companies said no. Apple turned it into an Apple-unique, and apparently desirable, feature.

The notion of any marketing that points out the envy or whatever this is supposed to be... it’s so wrongheaded.

History repeats.

I do wish android/Windows users can get FaceTime/iMessage for a monthly fee.
    I remember when they were going to make FaceTime an open standard and said so on a big presentation. I don’t remember if they ever explained why they changed their mind.

Also, iMessage is handy for seeing ‘read’ notifications and seeing if the other parties are responding. Most messaging platforms seem to have that though. It’s just that plain old SMS doesn’t.
    FaceTime is apparently in violation of patents that Apple doesn't own: https://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/211942/virnetx-reverses-ruling-invalidating-patents-used-against-apple/p1
  • Reply 36 of 39
    Maybe Samsung should have gone with this instead:
    https://i.pinimg.com/originals/3f/ed/5a/3fed5a554e37f138ef4efd3d2e92dc3f.gif
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 39
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Green bubbles (SMS) are inherently insecure, full stop. People with green bubbles don’t care about their own privacy and they sure as hell don’t care about yours. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 39
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    These are objectively terrible, and Samsung is actively shooting themselves in the foot with this.

Kudos to Random for noting the quality craftsmanship of Samsung's hands icon. This is the sort of attention to detail that really marks out the difference between Samsung and Apple.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 39
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,695member
    auxio said:
    avon b7 said:
    Fatman said:
    And it's also the reason why Apple has been able to add new features very quickly.  Having to make decisions by committee (consortium of companies with competing interests) is tedious.

That's so interesting.  Please tell me more about your little corner of the world which is nothing like mine.

Yup, I've had people try to strong-arm me onto WhatsApp and I still refuse to have my private messages go through free services which can change how they monetize my data whenever it fits their shareholders' interests.  If/when Facebook/WhatsApp give a legally binding statement about how they use my personal data today and in the future, I'll reconsider.   But for now I'll stick with Messages thanks.
    There are no consortiums involved in developing the roadmaps of WhatsApp, Telegram, WeChat. They add features how they see fit.

My 'little corner of the world' is actually representative of most of the world. The U.S possibly is not (in terms of pure WhatsApp) because FaceBook (WhatsApp parent company) is the preferred messaging client there according to the last digital study I saw (2019).

No one can ever strong arm you into using one option or another. That is your choice (but always based on your needs). If you can manage your IM needs using Messages that's great but it isn't representative of what the rest of the world does. Cross platform solutions are the key to success for obvious reasons and that is where Messages cannot compete and that is why my wife hasn't used it for IM for literally years. That isn't going change any time soon.