What to expect at Apple's new iPhone 11 event today - and what not to

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 86
    Soli said:
    1983 said:
    I wonder if the rumored titanium Watch will be part of the Edition series or a replacement for the current stainless steel Watches? I still wish Apple would use something more exotic than plain ceramic for its Edition series, something like Ceratanium...providing the strength and light weight of titanium with the supreme scratch resistance of ceramic, but without the brittleness and fragility of said ceramic. I suppose Liquidmetal (the once wonder material) has reached a developmental dead end. As I haven’t heard anything about it in years, except that it’s still used for the numerals in bezels of some of the Swatch group’s high-end watch brands. 
    didn't care about how it looked over how it functioned
    Nope, you bought them because they're cheap. How it "functioned"? How the aluminum models function is they scratch and crack easy and look like shit once scratched. Stainless steel is ideal for worn jewelry because it holds up to real world abuse, and looks better over time instead of worse.
  • Reply 82 of 86

If a phone with the name “iPhone Pro” is introduced, I’ll eat my hat... or my iPad.
    Given how much Apple continues to depart from reality, I'd say it's likely.
  • Reply 83 of 86
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    1983 said:
    I wonder if the rumored titanium Watch will be part of the Edition series or a replacement for the current stainless steel Watches? I still wish Apple would use something more exotic than plain ceramic for its Edition series, something like Ceratanium...providing the strength and light weight of titanium with the supreme scratch resistance of ceramic, but without the brittleness and fragility of said ceramic. I suppose Liquidmetal (the once wonder material) has reached a developmental dead end. As I haven’t heard anything about it in years, except that it’s still used for the numerals in bezels of some of the Swatch group’s high-end watch brands. 
    didn't care about how it looked over how it functioned
    Nope, you bought them because they're cheap. How it "functioned"? How the aluminum models function is they scratch and crack easy and look like shit once scratched. Stainless steel is ideal for worn jewelry because it holds up to real world abuse, and looks better over time instead of worse.
    1) The Apple Watch is "cheap" now. Remember that the next time you bitch about them being too expensive.

2) I did a cost-benefit analysis and decided that aluminium had better utility and sufficient durability. I've yet to have one be easily scratched. I'd only now consider a titanium option if there were additional benefits over the aluminium model, like being lighter because the casing can be thinner, which could allow for additional components or larger ones, like a bigger battery, etc.

3) If you think aluminium is a shit material over steel you must despise the automotive industry this century, although I'm sure are are still plenty of clunky vehicles from lesser manufactures that will still having moved to an aluminium unibody.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 84 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    lkrupp said:
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:
    “All of this presumes that Apple only intends to reveal updates to existing products”.

“If we sound like we think little is likely to be shown at the September event, it's because we are”.

I see more iteration than innovation.
    Yeah, I love how tech wannabes are always arguing about innovation vs iteration and how they use the terms to spin their own ideas of which is which and who is doing what. In here it’s usually to trash Apple and make fun of Phil Schiller. Oh, and fire Tim Cook too while you’re at it.
    hentaiboy said:
    “All of this presumes that Apple only intends to reveal updates to existing products”.

“If we sound like we think little is likely to be shown at the September event, it's because we are”.

Errnnnt! Another guy who doesn’t get Apple. Iteration is innovation. These things don’t fall off trees massively improved by themselves. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up:

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.
    Innovation to me means change and disruption. Like the first iPhone, the Tesla automobile, Uber.

I guess tomorrow will tell what it means to the Apple Marketing Team.
    Would love for Apple to get ahead of their competition and make their mark NOW with the long-rumored “Apple Transit™“ vehicle (or whatever they end up calling it). Since Tesla is already selling their $35,000 Model 3 and VW just today announced their ID.3 electric vehicle, Apple’s opportunity for making a big splash is being diminished every day they delay.
    Gosh, if only the most successful company in history knew what they were doing. They need our help! Don’t they know they are squandering opportunity! Sheesh. 
    Companies only 'know what they're doing' until they don't.

It seems you don't have that point very clear. Sony knew what is was doing until it didn't, and fell from grace. Ironically, Apple too. Kodak, RIM ...

In many areas of life, 'knowing what you are doing' is only part of the story and even then, sometimes a small part.

Sometimes success comes from accidental discoveries. Sometimes success comes from timing.
    Another way of saying Apple’s existence is an accident. ROFLMAO
    Couldn't be further from the truth but I suspect you knew that anyway. However, what I said still stands.

• Reply 85 of 86
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,691member
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

Yeah, I love how tech wannabes are always arguing about innovation vs iteration and how they use the terms to spin their own ideas of which is which and who is doing what. In here it’s usually to trash Apple and make fun of Phil Schiller. Oh, and fire Tim Cook too while you’re at it.
    hentaiboy said:

Errnnnt! Another guy who doesn’t get Apple. Iteration is innovation. These things don’t fall off trees massively improved by themselves. Gruber wrote about this almost a decade ago. Read up:

...iterative product development is the name of the game. It’s how we got from the original iPhone/Mac/Watch/whatever to the current versions, or iterations.
    Innovation to me means change and disruption. Like the first iPhone, the Tesla automobile, Uber.

Would love for Apple to get ahead of their competition and make their mark NOW with the long-rumored “Apple Transit™“ vehicle (or whatever they end up calling it). Since Tesla is already selling their $35,000 Model 3 and VW just today announced their ID.3 electric vehicle, Apple’s opportunity for making a big splash is being diminished every day they delay.
    Gosh, if only the most successful company in history knew what they were doing. They need our help! Don’t they know they are squandering opportunity! Sheesh. 

It seems you don't have that point very clear. Sony knew what is was doing until it didn't, and fell from grace. Ironically, Apple too. Kodak, RIM ...

In many areas of life, 'knowing what you are doing' is only part of the story and even then, sometimes a small part.

Sometimes success comes from accidental discoveries. Sometimes success comes from timing.
    You should start like, a Hallmark, for distributing your wisdom.

Timing is perfect from this accidental discovery, and you could really cash in your success and buy a Mate 30.
    Where's the wisdom? These are facts Forged in Fire. Nothing out of the reach of anyone with a little common sense.

I could buy a Mate 30 Pro this month if I wanted too but I don't need one. A lot of the technology in it will quickly filter down the ranges, meaning that my next phone will have everything I need today plus a whole lot more.

We'll see if what gets announced this evening fits your upgrade cycle or not. You want tri-cameras. It looks like you'll get them. Or will you hold off and wait for the 5G iPhone that could appear in just twelve months (or less)?The same phone that is rumoured to finally change in design.

"These are facts Forged by Fire"

Now that should go on a Hallmark card...
    Still deflecting it seems. 

Will that Tri-camera still get you to upgrade or are those other factors making you re-think your original plans?
  • Reply 86 of 86
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,340member
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:
    tmay said:
    avon b7 said:

hentaiboy said:
    lkrupp said:

hentaiboy said:

hentaiboy said:

You should start like, a Hallmark, for distributing your wisdom.

Timing is perfect from this accidental discovery, and you could really cash in your success and buy a Mate 30.
    Where's the wisdom? These are facts Forged in Fire. Nothing out of the reach of anyone with a little common sense.

I could buy a Mate 30 Pro this month if I wanted too but I don't need one. A lot of the technology in it will quickly filter down the ranges, meaning that my next phone will have everything I need today plus a whole lot more.

We'll see if what gets announced this evening fits your upgrade cycle or not. You want tri-cameras. It looks like you'll get them. Or will you hold off and wait for the 5G iPhone that could appear in just twelve months (or less)?The same phone that is rumoured to finally change in design.

"These are facts Forged by Fire"

Now that should go on a Hallmark card...
    Still deflecting it seems. 

Will that Tri-camera still get you to upgrade or are those other factors making you re-think your original plans?
    Since I won't get 5G service where I am for years, I'm not concerned by lack of 5G, and I don't see the wireless charging of accessories from my iPhone as something I wouldn't use. I can easily see three years out of an iPhone 11 Pro Max.

So, yeah, the answer is that I will be getting the Pro Max. 

You, on the other hand, have been pushing 5G as a must have, yet are quite willing to wait until you can find a mid range device. Not really eating your own dogfood.

As for your "facts forged by fire", you do know that Apple has already survived a couple of major events in its history, and that culture is now built into the company's DNA. Good research and product development is a better bet for Apple that some accidental discovery, and they certainly have been successful with timing in the market with a number of products.
    edited September 2019