Supposed leaked Apple document reveals 'iPhone 11' branding, OS release dates, new iPads i...

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    This rumor perfectly fits to what I am expecting. New iOS features that were kept in secret as they may work only with new iPhones, their co-processors and cameras so they have to be in special build of iOS 13.1 that was sent to wild in version that is still stripped of most of them. But just Apple and God knows :-)
  • Reply 22 of 35
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,347member
    frantisek said:
    This rumor perfectly fits to what I am expecting. New iOS features that were kept in secret as they may work only with new iPhones, their co-processors and cameras so they have to be in special build of iOS 13.1 that was sent to wild in version that is still stripped of most of them. But just Apple and God knows :-)
    I'm actually kind of interested in replacing my first generation iPad Pro 12.9 before I replace my iPhone 7 Plus, assuming I get the same triple camera as the iPhone Pro. I'm old and my eyesight sans glasses sucks, and an iPad would actually be a great setup for a lot of video and photography, especially tethered to a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera. 
    lolliver
  • Reply 23 of 35
    payeco said:
    The name of the bigger iPhone 11 is awful. “11 Pro Max” is some serious 2000s era Microsoft branding.

There are two different size MacBook Pros without having a differentiating name. Same with the iPad Pros. Why can’t the iPhone be the same? When are they going to dump the numbered naming like they finally have for iPads? iPhone and iPhone Pro with the Pro having two screen sizes would be so much better. This would have been the perfect time to do it too considering about 75% of people had already disassociated numbers from the iPhone name with the last two phones anyway. Most people called them the iPhone “ex” and then “ex s” and “ex r”.

If you really need some differentiation for marketing purposes then just follow the car industry’s example. Call it the “2019 iPhone Pro”, the “2020 iPhone”, etc.
    You should assume there might be people at Apple who have more marketing experience than you.
    king editor the gratelolliver
  • Reply 24 of 35
    jgojcaj said:
    LAME. No iPhone 11 SE?! This "innovation" certainly has its limits I see... This whole event is going to be a total bust, sorry to say. 
    Get over it.  The SE was a flop.  It sold 3M units compared to all other models selling 60M units.  Figure it out. Apple isn’t going to offer a phone that caters to .1% of consumers.  Buy an iPhone 8, which is only 1/2” bigger.  I am sure that will fit in your skinny jeans.  
    This post isn't going to age well.  :D
    https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/09/04/apple-again-reportedly-planning-a-new-but-larger-iphone-se-2
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 25 of 35
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,375member
    Product naming, and naming in general, is too often (imho) an arbitrary and tricky thing that seems to defy logic and reason. I thought that iPhone X naming thing was kind of hideous but marginally justified by the product being a "special" 10th anniversary edition that senior executives wanted to label with a Roman numeral because - who knows why, maybe Romans were considered universally special along with their crazy numerals. Roman numerals didn't save the Romans from an ultimate demise of their society, which should probably serve as a warning to product and event organizers of today.

Apple using the "X" with iPhone was crass but at least it would soon pass when the 10th anniversary celebration faded into obscurity. But it didn't, and we were blessed with excess, maximum excess, and best of all, pirate excess. So here's hoping that some degree of naming normalcy returns with the next yearly iteration of iPhones and the Roman numerals get burned down and out. Once was enough, and that chip was cashed in with OS X.

Do we need "Pro" puffery? Not really, but people in charge of naming are uncontrollably compelled to commit these kind naming atrocities all the time. They just cannot help themselves. It's really rare to find a product line or series of "things" that have a well defined and consistently enforced naming scheme that adheres to some sort of defined taxonomy that always withstands the swirling whims and emotional pressures of those who were put in charge of naming. I believe the reason lies with the fact that people place a great deal of importance on the names of things just as the do with the names of people. Once the naming of a thing takes on such importance and conveys the aspirational goals of what the namers want the thing to be, rather than simply what it is, all logic and reason and rationale for the sake of convenience, categorization, ontological relationships, etc., fly out the window. The namers really think people want to drive a car named after a horse, and if it has a Roman numeral and a "Pro" or "GT" or "S" tacked on the end of name for embellishment, all the better. It's really just a joke we play on ourselves, but it's not a big deal.
    edited September 2019 MisterKit
  • Reply 26 of 35
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    topdrag said:
    I'm curious to know when it became a thing to launch a new iPhone on a Monday? Doesn't make sense to me at all. Nor does it make any sense to ship the new phone with an iOS version that just got seeded a first beta and expect that to be GM by launch? Yeah, sounds like someone should do a little fact checking before posting an article like this. Some fact might be right, but others are clearly wrong when thinking it through. 
    Where does this say the phone will be launched on a Monday? Breaking balls over a leaked document and fact checking..seriously? 

Wording in the publication hints at a Sept. 27 launch date for Apple's new iPhone 11 series, with users supposedly able to gain access to iOS 13 on Sept. 23.

Unless there was a correction made form last night to this morning.. ?

lolliver
  • Reply 27 of 35
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    dewme said:
    Product naming, and naming in general, is too often (imho) an arbitrary and tricky thing that seems to defy logic and reason. I thought that iPhone X naming thing was kind of hideous but marginally justified by the product being a "special" 10th anniversary edition that senior executives wanted to label with a Roman numeral because - who knows why, maybe Romans were considered universally special along with their crazy numerals. Roman numerals didn't save the Romans from an ultimate demise of their society, which should probably serve as a warning to product and event organizers of today.

Apple using the "X" with iPhone was crass but at least it would soon pass when the 10th anniversary celebration faded into obscurity. But it didn't, and we were blessed with excess, maximum excess, and best of all, pirate excess. So here's hoping that some degree of naming normalcy returns with the next yearly iteration of iPhones and the Roman numerals get burned down and out. Once was enough, and that chip was cashed in with OS X.

Do we need "Pro" puffery? Not really, but people in charge of naming are uncontrollably compelled to commit these kind naming atrocities all the time. They just cannot help themselves. It's really rare to find a product line or series of "things" that have a well defined and consistently enforced naming scheme that adheres to some sort of defined taxonomy that always withstands the swirling whims and emotional pressures of those who were put in charge of naming. I believe the reason lies with the fact that people place a great deal of importance on the names of things just as the do with the names of people. Once the naming of a thing takes on such importance and conveys the aspirational goals of what the namers want the thing to be, rather than simply what it is, all logic and reason and rationale for the sake of convenience, categorization, ontological relationships, etc., fly out the window. The namers really think people want to drive a car named after a horse, and if it has a Roman numeral and a "Pro" or "GT" or "S" tacked on the end of name for embellishment, all the better. It's really just a joke we play on ourselves, but it's not a big deal.
    Ultimately I think that the design and features/specs are more important than what the name of the phone is.    If they can minimize that massive notch and get it down to at least half the size then I think they would have many up-graders.   The Samsung S10 looks great because the camera cutout is so small.   
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 35
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member

Pro has to mean something for Apple for them to use that term, maybe the camera and/or photo software will be the justification for using the work Pro? I’m looking forward to the keynote even though I am probably sticking with my Xs Max for another year. Soon 5G and USB-C will demand a redesign. And with Ive gone, maybe the new design team will take the iPhone in a different direction. I think foldables are a few years away, Apple won’t put out a product before it’s ready. 
    Apple’s use of the word Pro is so they can dupe people and charge more.  There is nothing Pro about a Phone.  
    So there is no difference between the iPad and iPad pro?  Also who said that any of the phones were changing price? Please link sources with the pricing change info.
    roccodelgrecololliver
  • Reply 29 of 35
    We will all know a lot more in less than a week.
  • Reply 30 of 35
    payecopayeco Posts: 581member
    payeco said:
    The name of the bigger iPhone 11 is awful. “11 Pro Max” is some serious 2000s era Microsoft branding.

There are two different size MacBook Pros without having a differentiating name. Same with the iPad Pros. Why can’t the iPhone be the same? When are they going to dump the numbered naming like they finally have for iPads? iPhone and iPhone Pro with the Pro having two screen sizes would be so much better. This would have been the perfect time to do it too considering about 75% of people had already disassociated numbers from the iPhone name with the last two phones anyway. Most people called them the iPhone “ex” and then “ex s” and “ex r”.

If you really need some differentiation for marketing purposes then just follow the car industry’s example. Call it the “2019 iPhone Pro”, the “2020 iPhone”, etc.
    You should assume there might be people at Apple who have more marketing experience than you.
    It’s about taste, not marketing.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Not one comment here about the new WATCH Series 5? That’s the new model Apple product I’m excited about. Glad to see confirmation the S5 processor’s 4 new models will be part of Tuesday’s reveal: 40mm GPS, 40mm GPS+LTE, 44mm GPS and 44mm GPS+LTE with various cases and bands. I’m one of many WATCH Series 0-3 owners who’ve been holding out to skip Series 4 for various reasons. We didn’t wait this past year to not see a new S5 processor inside the Series 4 S4, screen and body makeover. I went from Series 0 on day one to buy a Series 3 model so I could get in on the since ended Apple-Stanford Heart Study two years ago. Last year I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to the Xs Max. I don’t foresee giving up this iPhone any time soon. And I think there are a lot of A12 iPhone owners who feel the same. It’s plenty fast and faster is not going to matter much.

I believe the Series 5 WATCH is a lot more important, highly anticipated and affordable to a large population of iPhone owners than these new iPhones.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 32 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Not one comment here about the new WATCH Series 5? That’s the new model Apple product I’m excited about. Glad to see confirmation the S5 processor’s 4 new models will be part of Tuesday’s reveal: 40mm GPS, 40mm GPS+LTE, 44mm GPS and 44mm GPS+LTE with various cases and bands. I one of many WATCH Series 0-3 owners who’ve been holding out to skip Series 4 for various reasons. We didn’t wait this past year to not see a new S5 processor inside the Series 4 S4, screen and body makeover. I went from Series 0 on day one to buy a Series 3 model so I could get in on the since ended Apple-Stanford Heart Study two years ago. Last year I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to the Xs Max. I don’t foresee giving up this iPhone any time soon. Any I think there are a lot of A12 iPhone owners who feel the same. It’s plenty fast and faster is not going to matter much.

So the Series 5 WATCH is a lot more important, highly anticipated and affordable to a large population of iPhone owners than these new iPhones.
    I'm not convinced that there is a series 5 this year. We'll see.

New materials != series 5.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 33 of 35
    Not one comment here about the new WATCH Series 5? That’s the new model Apple product I’m excited about. Glad to see confirmation the S5 processor’s 4 new models will be part of Tuesday’s reveal: 40mm GPS, 40mm GPS+LTE, 44mm GPS and 44mm GPS+LTE with various cases and bands. I one of many WATCH Series 0-3 owners who’ve been holding out to skip Series 4 for various reasons. We didn’t wait this past year to not see a new S5 processor inside the Series 4 S4, screen and body makeover. I went from Series 0 on day one to buy a Series 3 model so I could get in on the since ended Apple-Stanford Heart Study two years ago. Last year I went from an iPhone 7 Plus to the Xs Max. I don’t foresee giving up this iPhone any time soon. Any I think there are a lot of A12 iPhone owners who feel the same. It’s plenty fast and faster is not going to matter much.

So the Series 5 WATCH is a lot more important, highly anticipated and affordable to a large population of iPhone owners than these new iPhones.

If it’s not coming then how do you explain the 4 new model numbers? The new cases and bands don’t have anything to do with new model numbers do they?
  • Reply 34 of 35
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

If it’s not coming then how do you explain the 4 new model numbers? The new cases and bands don’t have anything to do with new model numbers do they?
    The new materials in 40 and 44mm do, though. Two new materials, two sizes.
  • Reply 35 of 35

I’m pretty certain they will introduce new models and with new materials. But there’s always the possibility one of us will be wrong. ;)