Samsung launches Galaxy Fold with new materials, tweaked design

Comments

• Reply 41 of 97
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member

avon b7 said:
    There's no getting away from it. This is cutting edge technology and it doesn't matter how it plays out - today - from a technology perspective. This is first generation. A necessary first step. If there are to be more steps in this area, it will be thanks to these phones, both in terms of technology improvements and for price.
    Not really. If, say, Apple were to release a folding device, I very much doubt it will be based on this crap, and instead on their own internal R&D. But nice attempt at claiming are future products are beholden to your knockoffs. 

And you people would blow your gaskets if Apple releases a $2,000 working prototype—I mean, first generation phone.
    So you’re trying to say that Apple is not looking at the Samsung Fold to see how Samsung implemented the technology, what works and what didn’t work? 

If you’re right, than Apple is incredibly stupid. Fortunately I think Apple’s smarter than you are. 

The original iPhone wasn’t revolutionary from a technology standpoint - there was nothing in it that hadn’t been done before. It was revolutionary in how it integrated the technology with the operating system to make it seem less and easy to use in a way no one had done before. The fact that Samsung was first (or among the first) to market with a folding phone is great. I don’t care about new, I care about good, well-designed and useful. 
    muthuk_vanalingamGeorgeBMacchemengin1gatorguy
  • Reply 42 of 97
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,027member
    apple ][ said:
    ivanh said:
    Disappointed by Apple in the last few years for minor tech improvement as “upgrades” each year but at total lost “replacement” costs, I’ll take a glimpse at this new Samsung device and consider to jump over to an Android machine.
    You should. Android is an awesome OS, it’s highly efficient and all of the best apps and games are found on Android, with no malware to be found at all. Android is for the expert pro user and people who do very important things on their phones such as customizing icons and other tasks which are reserved for rocket scientists. I run into these sorts of Android users all of the time on public transportation. I envy their hardware and their vast intellect.

I too am considering this $2000 foldable Samsung phone. 

Modern Phones have become too thin and I miss the bulkiness of older phones like Nokias and others that were around a few decades ago.

This Samsung foldable phone is likely to be a huge success and I can see many Android users getting one, especially in the third world, which is one of their main markets.
     :D  Genius.   Nail, meet head.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 97
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,898moderator
    MplsP said:

avon b7 said:
    There's no getting away from it. This is cutting edge technology and it doesn't matter how it plays out - today - from a technology perspective. This is first generation. A necessary first step. If there are to be more steps in this area, it will be thanks to these phones, both in terms of technology improvements and for price.
    Not really. If, say, Apple were to release a folding device, I very much doubt it will be based on this crap, and instead on their own internal R&D. But nice attempt at claiming are future products are beholden to your knockoffs. 

And you people would blow your gaskets if Apple releases a $2,000 working prototype—I mean, first generation phone.
    So you’re trying to say that Apple is not looking at the Samsung Fold to see how Samsung implemented the technology, what works and what didn’t work? 

If you’re right, than Apple is incredibly stupid. Fortunately I think Apple’s smarter than you are. 

The original iPhone wasn’t revolutionary from a technology standpoint - there was nothing in it that hadn’t been done before. It was revolutionary in how it integrated the technology with the operating system to make it seem less and easy to use in a way no one had done before. The fact that Samsung was first (or among the first) to market with a folding phone is great. I don’t care about new, I care about good, well-designed and useful. 
    Seriously?  You don't think computer operating systems are technology?  Show me where the iPhone's original operating system was 'done before.'
    StrangeDayswatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 44 of 97
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

If you believe that last sentence, then you must hate this product. Even if it weren’t faulty, it received some bad reviews. Operationally, it’s bad.

i do believe that someday, someone, whether it’s Apple, or someone else, will figure this out. But that’s likely when the screens get better at folding. So probably requiring a new generation of screen rather that a slight iteration of the current ones. Either that, or something that’s not now expected. Rolling screens are dead out of the gate. Nobody wants to have to roll out a screen.
    StrangeDaysSpamSandwichMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 97
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,965member
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

Lessons will be learnt and we will all benefit. 

Right now, these phones are only for those who have $2,000 of readily disposable income and I mean truly disposable. I very much doubt that any of the first gen Fold buyers are looking at a two year upgrade. They will upgrade as soon as there is a new one.

Many of the people in this thread are almost willing it to fail. I prefer to at least give the thing a chance. I think we all should.

It’s not a necessary first step. There has been almost no call for a large folding phone. This is simply a matter of prestige for Samsung, Huawei and others. They believe, wrongly, that whoever gets to be first will be on the historical record for that. But, in reality, what will happen is that the record will be talking instead about how the technology wasn’t ready, and how rash those companies were in their race for marketing purposes. These companies could have easily done more R&D to iron out these problems.

If indeed these “fixes” improve the reliability and performance of this phone, it just shows that Samsung should have waited before attempting the first release. If, after some time, they do begin to fail again, it will show that they shouldn’t have released it at all, and should instead have continued R&D until these problems were completely resolved. If they found that they couldn’t completely resolve the issues, then they could have just not released the phone at all, and not embarrassed themselves for a second time since the first major blunder with the Note 7.

while you continue to say that Huawei didn’t hold back their introduction in order to redesign some aspects of their phone, you’re just wrong. You’re not even thinking clearly on this. If their phone was spic and span, as you keep saying it is, without holding, or using one, of course, then Huawei would have had no reason to back out of their launch. But they did. They had the chance to be second, since another phone was at least shown, by, who was it again, Xiaomi? It doesn’t matter really, as all of them will fail in the marketplace, if not in your hand.

and it’s not a matter of us giving it a chance. None of us here will be buying one, and that includes you. Giving it a chance means buying one.

maybe some time from now, someone will get it right.
    This is where it all fell apart:

"you’re just wrong. You’re not even thinking clearly on this"

With hindsight we learn.

The Mate X was delayed for these reasons:

5G carrier calibration.
    Internal upgrades (as a result of the delay).

Try as you might you cannot ignore these facts as they are straight from Huawei at an executive level.

Also from an executive level was the affirmation that the time resulting from the delay would be used to improve some aspects of the initial model (mostly software related). The internal hardware upgrade was simply due to the model being released on a different point of the roadmap. Not due to 'problems'.

On another level, Trump's interference also probably played a part.

Now, I have already broken down your previous (completely unsubstantiated) claims in a previous thread where you went out on a limb to mention 'all' the problems the phone had had.

How could you even possibly back that claim up for a phone that:

1. Wasn't on the market
    2. Had had been subject to numerous hands on with zero problems reported.
    3. Has been the daily driver for numerous executives and engineers for the whole year.
    4. Has been in development for years.
    5. For which Richard Yu went on record as saying was market ready (if the market had been ready as planned - it wasn't due to carrier issues)

I provided links for everything I said.

You provided nothing.

From 'all' the problems to zero problems. There's a big gap between those two.

Huawei has no pressing desire to be first or second or third. It has a roadmap.

The original roadmap was for an MWC reveal and a summer release. That couldn't happen as the carrier side wasn't ready. Then Trump waded in (some carriers weren't sure they would even be able to sell the phone) and with the resulting delay Huawei decided to majorly upgrade the internals of the phone (hence the tentative November release).

I hope you can see that it is you who is wrong and not just a little wrong but utterly and soundly wrong.

The Kirin 990 (the chip the phone will carry) will be presented tomorrow. At least one version of that chip will have an on-SoC 5G modem. This is major news. If all versions of the Kirin 990 have an on-board Balong 5G chip it will be even bigger news. We already know that the Huawei sub brand Honor will be launching a Kirin 990 5G chip before year end. That is going to represent A LOT of 5G equipped phones before year end from just one company. TSMC's 7mn/EUV output (Kirin 980/990/Ascend 910 etc plus A12/13 etc) may be a little stretched for a time.

QC, MediaTek and Samsung will also be providing their own 5G solutions (QC has an IFA presentation just after Huawei) very soon (year end or shortly after).

Right around these numerous 5G announcements Apple will present the iPhone 11 which (according to rumours) will not have a 5G capacity in any variant. 

There are going to be a lot of marketing headwinds for Apple this year end and having not one but two foldable 5G phones released around the iPhone launch will simply serve to highlight Apple's lack of 5G options (if true, of course). Now if you were a regular iPhone purchaser on a three year upgrade cycle, looking at phones this Christmas, you would legitimately have some doubts. Just knowing that Apple is going to have an on SoC 5G in twelve of those 36 months (it is unthinkable they won't) will surely curb your desire to upgrade.

I've said it before and will repeat it here. You can expect a marketing blitz for 5G that will make even the most fervent '5G meh!' proclaimers doubt. If the area where you live is earmarked for 5G, many will simply skip this upgrade.

'Giving them a chance' has nothing to do with me or you in a market sense. On the hand and in a criticism sense it has everything to do with literally everyone. It means waiting for the phones to actually ship before proclaiming them "massive failures".

That's just common sense. They mail fail or they may succeed but we just don't (can't) know until they hit the market.

edited September 2019 GeorgeBMacchemengin1FileMakerFeller
  • Reply 46 of 97
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

avon b7 said:
    Not really. If, say, Apple were to release a folding device, I very much doubt it will be based on this crap, and instead on their own internal R&D. But nice attempt at claiming Apple future products are beholden to your knockoffs. 

For many things, but screens in particular, Apple relies on Samsung for R&D.  Then they use their money for hand outs to shareholders.  
    chemengin1
  • Reply 47 of 97
    MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Seriously?  You don't think computer operating systems are technology?  Show me where the iPhone's original operating system was 'done before.'
    Palm -- which in many ways was superior.  The only thing iOS introduced was using your finger in place of a stylus.
    chemengin1
  • Reply 48 of 97
    MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Somebody’s touchy this morning. 

I mean what I said — Apple does its own R&D, has already filed patents, and if they find a reason to build such a device it will leverage their own work process and won’t owe a lick to the first failers who rush to market with junk. Just like the Watch doesn’t owe a thing to Samsung’s god awful first failures. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 49 of 97
    sflocal said:
    At best, what's going to happen is that these devices will start having problems within 30-60 days of use, and most will suffer major failures on the 13th month after the 12 month warranty expires.  By then, Samsung will have moved on with wheels screeching and tell everyone it was a "success".
    So true.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 97

MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Palm -- which in many ways was superior.  The only thing iOS introduced was using your finger in place of a stylus.
    Oh yes, that’s all Apple did. And not sucking. Yes, it’s almost as if in your worldview software designs itself and code writes itself. All Apple did was issue a “use finger not stylus” command to the compiler, and presto, a smash success OS and platform complete with its own design language and touch use metaphors popped out. 

It’s like you guys have never read the articles or interviews with the folks in the room, who described all the work that went into building their multitouch hardware & software, OS software, UI, UX, etc. It’s running a paired down version of UNIX-based OS X, on a phone. There was a time people said that was impossible. 

But yep, just replaced stylus with finger. So easy. No innovation. /s

smdh
    edited September 2019 tmayjdb8167fastasleepwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 51 of 97
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Uhm, that Apple created the operating system to do just that in an elegant way was in fact the innovation that became the disruption of all phones prior.

edited September 2019 muthuk_vanalingamfastasleepFileMakerFellerwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 52 of 97

avon b7 said:
    melgross said:
    avon b7 said:

Lessons will be learnt and we will all benefit. 

Right now, these phones are only for those who have $2,000 of readily disposable income and I mean truly disposable. I very much doubt that any of the first gen Fold buyers are looking at a two year upgrade. They will upgrade as soon as there is a new one.

Many of the people in this thread are almost willing it to fail. I prefer to at least give the thing a chance. I think we all should.

It’s not a necessary first step. There has been almost no call for a large folding phone. This is simply a matter of prestige for Samsung, Huawei and others. They believe, wrongly, that whoever gets to be first will be on the historical record for that. But, in reality, what will happen is that the record will be talking instead about how the technology wasn’t ready, and how rash those companies were in their race for marketing purposes. These companies could have easily done more R&D to iron out these problems.

If indeed these “fixes” improve the reliability and performance of this phone, it just shows that Samsung should have waited before attempting the first release. If, after some time, they do begin to fail again, it will show that they shouldn’t have released it at all, and should instead have continued R&D until these problems were completely resolved. If they found that they couldn’t completely resolve the issues, then they could have just not released the phone at all, and not embarrassed themselves for a second time since the first major blunder with the Note 7.

while you continue to say that Huawei didn’t hold back their introduction in order to redesign some aspects of their phone, you’re just wrong. You’re not even thinking clearly on this. If their phone was spic and span, as you keep saying it is, without holding, or using one, of course, then Huawei would have had no reason to back out of their launch. But they did. They had the chance to be second, since another phone was at least shown, by, who was it again, Xiaomi? It doesn’t matter really, as all of them will fail in the marketplace, if not in your hand.

and it’s not a matter of us giving it a chance. None of us here will be buying one, and that includes you. Giving it a chance means buying one.

maybe some time from now, someone will get it right.
    This is where it all fell apart:

"you’re just wrong. You’re not even thinking clearly on this"

With hindsight we learn.

The Mate X was delayed for these reasons:

5G carrier calibration.
    Internal upgrades (as a result of the delay).

Try as you might you cannot ignore these facts as they are straight from Huawei at an executive level.

Also from an executive level was the affirmation that the time resulting from the delay would be used to improve some aspects of the initial model (mostly software related). The internal hardware upgrade was simply due to the model being released on a different point of the roadmap. Not due to 'problems'.

On another level, Trump's interference also probably played a part.

Now, I have already broken down your previous (completely unsubstantiated) claims in a previous thread where you went out on a limb to mention 'all' the problems the phone had had.

How could you even possibly back that claim up for a phone that:

1. Wasn't on the market
    2. Had had been subject to numerous hands on with zero problems reported.
    3. Has been the daily driver for numerous executives and engineers for the whole year.
    4. Has been in development for years.
    5. For which Richard Yu went on record as saying was market ready (if the market had been ready as planned - it wasn't due to carrier issues)

I provided links for everything I said.

You provided nothing.

From 'all' the problems to zero problems. There's a big gap between those two.

Huawei has no pressing desire to be first or second or third. It has a roadmap.

The original roadmap was for an MWC reveal and a summer release. That couldn't happen as the carrier side wasn't ready. Then Trump waded in (some carriers weren't sure they would even be able to sell the phone) and with the resulting delay Huawei decided to majorly upgrade the internals of the phone (hence the tentative November release).

I hope you can see that it is you who is wrong and not just a little wrong but utterly and soundly wrong.

The Kirin 990 (the chip the phone will carry) will be presented tomorrow. At least one version of that chip will have an on-SoC 5G modem. This is major news. If all versions of the Kirin 990 have an on-board Balong 5G chip it will be even bigger news. We already know that the Huawei sub brand Honor will be launching a Kirin 990 5G chip before year end. That is going to represent A LOT of 5G equipped phones before year end from just one company. TSMC's 7mn/EUV output (Kirin 980/990/Ascend 910 etc plus A12/13 etc) may be a little stretched for a time.

QC, MediaTek and Samsung will also be providing their own 5G solutions (QC has an IFA presentation just after Huawei) very soon (year end or shortly after).

Right around these numerous 5G announcements Apple will present the iPhone 11 which (according to rumours) will not have a 5G capacity in any variant. 

There are going to be a lot of marketing headwinds for Apple this year end and having not one but two foldable 5G phones released around the iPhone launch will simply serve to highlight Apple's lack of 5G options (if true, of course). Now if you were a regular iPhone purchaser on a three year upgrade cycle, looking at phones this Christmas, you would legitimately have some doubts. Just knowing that Apple is going to have an on SoC 5G in twelve of those 36 months (it is unthinkable they won't) will surely curb your desire to upgrade.

I've said it before and will repeat it here. You can expect a marketing blitz for 5G that will make even the most fervent '5G meh!' proclaimers doubt. If the area where you live is earmarked for 5G, many will simply skip this upgrade.

'Giving them a chance' has nothing to do with me or you in a market sense. On the hand and in a criticism sense it has everything to do with literally everyone. It means waiting for the phones to actually ship before proclaiming them "massive failures".

That's just common sense. They mail fail or they may succeed but we just don't (can't) know until they hit the market.

You really need to stop carrying water for Huawei and the CCP. All the Chinese Government had to do was make a few changes to how they dealt with foreign companies and intelectual property, and Trump would have likely had the trade deal in place months ago. 

Oh, and I'm thinking that you can't even afford to eat your own 5G dogfood, so you might want to tone your rant down a notch.

And for the record, there has been yet another delay;

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/huawei/148979-huawei-mate-x-delay-launch-date
    edited September 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 97
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    melgross said:
    spice-boy said:

danuff said:
    Samsung is so afraid of Apple and what the iPhone 11 may (or may not) bring to the table, that they made sure that the device hit the streets before the newest iPhone. Only time will tell if that was another mistake.
    Nobody is "afraid of Apple" since Apple stopped leading the way. It may take a few years but another company will break the mold ( I mean that in every way ) Apple created with the iPhone and change everything. 
    Maybe, since you feel that way, you should leave here, and stay on a Samsung forum, and site.
    Maybe you should not act as the AppleInsider gate keeper or fear an opinion you don't agree with. 
  • Reply 54 of 97

spice-boy said:
    It's easy to poke fun a Samsung for launching duds but at least they are trying to push things forward unlike Apple which uses the same iPhone 6 form to keep costs down and profits high. 
    Errnnt. Apple, of course, pushes things forward every year. The tech in these devices is not the shape of the handset’s shell. You are, in effect, asking for a Triangle Phone, which is ridiculous. The form factor is a flat rectangle. Deal. The tech is what goes inside that rectangle. 
    Your argument is the same one we heard before Jobs launched the iPhone, "mobile phones are good enough, Blackberry's even have email..." Incremental improvements are expected, better camera which is what a majority of iPhones owners really care about not the specs sites like this one celebrates. It is not my job to invent a new form factor of the iPhone that is either for Apple to do or a competitor to do. The iMac didn't get stuck with Biondi Blue and bubble shape, it evolved steadily until it got stuck in time as it is now. 
  • Reply 55 of 97

spice-boy said:

Massive failure.
    Yes they should stop innovating like Apple did after the iPhone 6
    What drugs are you on? Their A-series SoC are dramatically evolved since the 6. Computational photography, Low light video. TruTone. Underwater rated. OIS in the non-plus/max. Power efficiency. FaceID. Etc...

Oh but it’s still a rectangle. Uh huh. 
    I don't take drugs but a good friend overdosed and died when I was a teen so thanks for bringing that memory back.
    My point is a lot of people here are really focused on the minute changes which come with iPhone updates, in the real world most Americans can't name 3 states so don't expect them to care about what processor is inside the latest iPhone. People are fickle and sooner or later another device will get their attention and their money. The present iPhone form is probably the worst they ever produced. Glass back which shatters easily add nothing to function it is purely for fashion and a way for Apple to bilk it's customers out of some serious cash for a repair. The form factor is easy to drop yet hard to pickup from a table. The buttons are inserted into a curved side and finding them or operating them without looking at your phone is clumsy. Cook has made Apple heaps of profits but has stiffened it's industrial design severely, why do you thing Jon Ive left? 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 56 of 97
    tmay said:

spice-boy said:

Massive failure.
    What drugs are you on? Their A-series SoC are dramatically evolved since the 6. Computational photography, Low light video. TruTone. Underwater rated. OIS in the non-plus/max. Power efficiency. FaceID. Etc...

Completely missing from troll conversations is how Apple is the acknowledged leader in wearables, which are in fact, the alternatives to the current and future iPhone phone factor.
    Please identify who you are calling a "troll"?
  • Reply 57 of 97
    spice-boy said:
    tmay said:

spice-boy said:

Massive failure.

Completely missing from troll conversations is how Apple is the acknowledged leader in wearables, which are in fact, the alternatives to the current and future iPhone phone factor.
    Please identify who you are calling a "troll"?
    If you think that I am speaking of you specifically, then you might want to spend some time in self reflection, as to why I might think that.

fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 58 of 97
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Somebody’s touchy this morning. 

I mean what I said — Apple does its own R&D, has already filed patents, and if they find a reason to build such a device it will leverage their own work process and won’t owe a lick to the first failers who rush to market with junk. Just like the Watch doesn’t owe a thing to Samsung’s god awful first failures. 
    ...and I meant what I said. It doesn't matter if they are doing their own R&D, any company that ignores and fails to analyze competitors devices is stupid and blind. I don't think Apple is either - they will certainly be looking at the Fold to see how well it does or doesn't work. It doesn't matter if the competitors' devices are bad or good. You can learn from others' mistakes as well as their success.

I still think Apple is smarter than you are, just not as smart as you think they are.

MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Did you read my post? I was obviously referring to the physical device and its components. I even pointed out the operating system.
    gatorguy
  • Reply 59 of 97
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    People are going to be looking for faults now.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 60 of 97

MplsP said:

avon b7 said:

Oh yes, that’s all Apple did. And not sucking. Yes, it’s almost as if in your worldview software designs itself and code writes itself. All Apple did was issue a “use finger not stylus” command to the compiler, and presto, a smash success OS and platform complete with its own design language and touch use metaphors popped out. 

It’s like you guys have never read the articles or interviews with the folks in the room, who described all the work that went into building their multitouch hardware & software, OS software, UI, UX, etc. It’s running a paired down version of UNIX-based OS X, on a phone. There was a time people said that was impossible. 

But yep, just replaced stylus with finger. So easy. No innovation. /s

smdh
    Obviously Apple put a lot of work into its original OS.   Nobody disputes that.   Just like both Apple, Microsoft and IBM put lots of work into their PC OS's.   But, all three do / did roughly the same functions.   And likewise, except for replacing the stylus, Apple's original iOS did not do anything the Palm OS wasn't already doing.  Was it easy?  Probably not -- but that wasn't question was it?