Early test suggests iPhone 11 Pro has 13% faster 4G LTE versus iPhone XS

Posted:
in iPhone
The iPhone 11 Pro may provide its owners with faster access to cellular networks, with one prerelease benchmark of the new model claiming that it offers roughly 13% faster connections to the internet over 4G LTE versus the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max.

iPhone 11 Pro
iPhone 11 Pro

Hours after Apple introduced the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max to the world, comparisons were made of their capabilities against previous models. While most can be determined simply by looking at specifications, one bandwidth speed monitoring app claims there has also been an improvement with its modem.

Posted shortly after its launch, the SpeedSmart app Twitter account displays a graph claiming to compare the 4G LTE connectivity of the iPhone 11 Pro against the iPhone xs and iPhone XS Max on the main four mobile networks in the United States. In each case, both the download and upload speeds achieved by the iPhone 11 Pro are higher than those of the previous generation.

The new #iPhone11 Pro and Pro Max include faster 4G LTE, how much faster? About 13% faster vs. iPhone Xs that's quite an improvement YoY. Looks like a faster better modem. #AppleEvent #SpeedSmart https://t.co/cHKHU5JZU4 pic.twitter.com/zRVaTKuuoD

-- SpeedSmart (@SpeedSmart)

It is worth taking the chart with caution, as short of being handed a prerelease version of the iPhone before the launch, the test may have simply involved someone at the Apple launch event installing the app and running tests using a variety of different SIM cards. The chart mentions the data was collected from August 9 until September 9, before Apple's launch event, and based on its "Nationwide Result Data," suggesting this period pertains to just the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max result.

If the results are true, it is likely the use of a new modem is the reason behind the speed increase. It is likely that, with the introduction of Qualcomm modems instead of Intel versions for the 2020 model, as well as the use of 5G, further improvements will be seen in the next generation.

Until the iPhone 11 Pro is released or has undertaken multiple benchmarks, readers should be wary of such small-scale results. Also, as the results also rely on geography and the phone networks, it is unlikely that everyone will see the same set of results in their own personal trials.

Apple did not mention any 4G LTE improvements during the event, but its product page advises the iPhone 11 Pro supports up to 30 LTE bands and "Gigabit-class LTE," with its press release adding it can connect at up to 1.6Gbps over LTE.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10

IPhone 8
    Yes, I’d take the supplied chart with a good deal of caution. The above is pretty standard at my home when using cell settings. 
    As the auto industry used to say, “your mileage may vary”. Lol
  • Reply 2 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    fh-ace said:

IPhone 8
    Yes, I’d take the supplied chart with a good deal of caution. The above is pretty standard at my home when using cell settings. 
    As the auto industry used to say, “your mileage may vary”. Lol
    Yeah, but that's not a fair comparison - you're using 5GE!
    CloudTalkinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    I wish my phone was the limiting factor in my cell data speed. Hah!
    sdw2001cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    This is from this summer while I was riding the Skytrain to work.

5G won’t make any difference to smartphone users.
    MplsPlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Apple released two models of each phone one is GSM and the other is CDMA. I would assume one is Qualcomm modem and the other Intel. Or both models have Intel modems and Qualcomm modem is coming in 2020? My guess is, we’ll see soon! 
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    I'd give up a little speed for better reception. Live in Seattle and use T-Mobile which has its headquarters here and so often can't get reception. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Cool.  Now all I have to do is figure out when the hell I have *actual* 4G LTE on the AT&T network.     Pretty sure it's "5Ge" and not "LTE."   Of course, then there is "4G" which is really their 3.5G.   
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 10
    As many an XS owner will attest, its cell radio system wasn't the best.

Even after many firmware updates, simultaneous comparisons with other phones in the same location showed that it was either slower, didn't have the same reception, or both..

Most have put that down to the Intel modem, especially with the ongoing Qualcomm quarrel, but overlook that the switch to a MIMO antenna array probably wasn't completely successful.  The Intel modem was fine when it was supplied with a good signal, or under lab tests like those performed by PC World, but could struggle under other conditions.

The result of a not-quite-as-polished Intel modem, and mediocre antenna performance lead to some real world frustration for some users.
    cornchipWMontomuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 9 of 10
    More likely? The data is from iPhones everywhere, even when service is spotty. The new iPhone was at Apple, probably directly underneath a cell phone module, while the rest of the convention was on WiFi.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    WMontoWMonto Posts: 3unconfirmed, member
    I’ll be happy when the iPhone Modem is just as good as my old iPhone 7 Plus.  My XS Max was a noticeable downgrade in range, signal strength, and speed in less than perfect conditions.  
    appleexpatwatto_cobra