How Apple has designed the iPhone 11 for everybody

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    Soli said:
    ivanh said:
    On behalf of many retirees, I would say that we do not want new hardware. We want to continue using the existing hardware that are in good or fair condition.  But we hear the bad news that iOS 13 will not support older hardware, e.g. iPhone 6 Plus.  

It’s not fair because many of use just paid $30 to replace the faulty battery, or near a hundred for a broken glass.
    What?! Is a joke I'm not getting?
    It's not a joke, it's a lament.  Many retirees are on fixed incomes, and upgrading a phone every few years is not something they generally want to do.  But Apple stops supporting phones after a period of time, so one must either continue using the phone with no support, get a new one, or stop using their favorite phone.

Apple's desire to not support ancient (in computer years) hardware makes perfect sense, but it does have ramifications for people who like what they have and have limited ability to upgrade.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    ivanh said:
    On behalf of many retirees, I would say that we do not want new hardware. We want to continue using the existing hardware that are in good or fair condition.  But we hear the bad news that iOS 13 will not support older hardware, e.g. iPhone 6 Plus.  

It’s not fair because many of use just paid $30 to replace the faulty battery, or near a hundred for a broken glass.
    And what about new iPhones & new iOS releases are preventing you from using your existing hardware?  Your existing hardware will continue to work exactly the same after the release of the new iPhones & new iOS.
    StrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 38

It isn't for everybody. To me, that is a rash statement.
    I'm sticking with my iPhone 8 simply because for my use case, removing TouchID is a huge backwards step.

Try using FaceID when wearing a full face crash helmet which btw has a BT speaker and microphone installed. I even took my helmet into an Apple store to try it out. It didn't work with a non flip-front helmet.
    To use the phone I'd either have to remove the helmet or enter my passcode every time I wanted to do something on the phone other than receive calls.
    To me that is a clear step back in usability.
    If Apple as rumoured is working on under display fingerprint (or other non FaceID )sensors then I'll be right there in line to get the new phone.
    I'm not sure why one would consider it a "failure" when a feature like FaceID is inoperative when it can't detect one's face.  

For reasons I've stated before, I'm never going to enable FaceID for unlocking my phone anyway, nor do I use TouchID for that purpose on my 7.  But you know you can disable FaceID and just use a passcode, right?  Not ideal if you're driving but then, you shouldn't be mucking with your phone while driving anyway, right?
    AppleExposed
  • Reply 24 of 38
    Does anyone know if somebody makes a 2x or 3x clip on lens for the 11? I think being able to close in on a subject would be handy for me on occasion, but not enough to pay ~$300 more for the phone. 
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Madtiger said:
    Question.......on both 11 and 11 Pro, i do NOT see "sapphire crystal" in their camera specs anymore!  I remember XS and prior iPhones, the camera specs stated such.  Has Apple moved away from sapphire for camera?
    Apple is investing $ in Corning glass. Maybe they are using Gorilla glass?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Soli said:
    ivanh said:

It's not a joke, it's a lament.  Many retirees are on fixed incomes, and upgrading a phone every few years is not something they generally want to do.  But Apple stops supporting phones after a period of time, so one must either continue using the phone with no support, get a new one, or stop using their favorite phone.

Apple's desire to not support ancient (in computer years) hardware makes perfect sense, but it does have ramifications for people who like what they have and have limited ability to upgrade.
    1) The iPhone 6 came out in 2014. That's 5 years with having the latest version of iOS. What other vendor does better? Why should Apple keep lowering the bar for future OSes so they can still support devices that are over half a decade old for a small group of entitled people?

2) People should be aware that your device doesn't stop working once you can no longer get the latest OS. If they want the latest OS then get a newer device. If you can't afford why should Apple be required to hinder their entire business model when they already go well above what is accepted and reasonable for OS updates?
    edited September 2019 StrangeDaysAppleExposedkevin keewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    ivanh said:

1) The iPhone 6 came out in 2014. That's 5 years with having the latest version of iOS. What other vendor does better? Why should Apple keeping lowering the bar for future Ones so they can still support devices that are over half a decade old for a small group of entitled people?

2) People should be aware that your device doesn't stop working once you can no longer get the latest OS. If they want the latest OS then get a newer device. If you can't afford why should Apple be required to hinder their entire business model when they already go well above what is accepted and reasonable for OS updates?

You would have been better off checking his (ivanh's) posting history before choosing to respond to him. He is a TROLL. Just a bit muted these days, after the threat of ban by Admins.
    SoliStrangeDaysAppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 38
    I'm sticking with my iPhone 8 simply because for my use case, removing TouchID is a huge backwards step.

Try using FaceID when wearing a full face crash helmet which btw has a BT speaker and microphone installed. I even took my helmet into an Apple store to try it out. It didn't work with a non flip-front helmet.
    To use the phone I'd either have to remove the helmet or enter my passcode every time I wanted to do something on the phone other than receive calls.
    If Apple as rumoured is working on under display fingerprint (or other non FaceID )sensors then I'll be right there in line to get the new phone.
    Interesting point.  However, don't you wear gloves when riding?  So how do you interact with your phone at all, let alone unlock it?
    edited September 2019 AppleExposedwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 38
    You had me until the last line of the article:  "Need the device right now? For fast delivery from third-party sellers, be sure to check out eBay for listings with expedited shipping."

How about: "Try buying from some random third-party in eBay so we can get a tiny kickback to support this site!"
    philboogie
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Soli said:
    ivanh said:

I would wager most consumers don't purchase Apple Care and thus don't have phone "support" after the initial short period. The rest of support for an older device is software updates, whether major versions or security updates. iOS 13 supports 6S, which came out four years ago. The 6 came out five years ago, one can continue to use it without major platform increments, and it may even get critical software updates.

There is little to complain about here.
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 31 of 38
    The iPhone 11 is not ‘far faster’ than the Xr. It is only 20% faster and in real world tests, no one will notice any significant differences.  
    Allegedly, the 11 is slower than the XS. Though I do think the narrative is right in saying that this is running 13.0 and needs polishing. Also, developers should take advantage of the new API's

• Reply 32 of 38
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    avon b7 said:
    I agree with pretty much all of this. Massive improvement in many areas over last year's phone and in areas that are useful. Lower price, too.

Major gripe is the 5W charger if that is what ships in the box but overall there is a lot to like over the XR which I got last year for the wife.

In my case there is no point upgrading due to the lack of 5G and typically my wife upgrades every three years.

Are you one of those "Fast charger" fetishists who are ignorant to the fact the technology is not ready and is burning batteries and shortening battery lifespans?

Not being mean, it just gets old that people ignore the long lists of negatives and sh** on Apple for not rushing crap to the market.

ivanh said:

You're complaining that your 5 year old iPhones STILL work and had updates for years and new batteries?

HUH?!!?

You DO KNOW Apple still sells iPhone 8 which supports iOS 13. Or you guys can upgrade to iPhone 6s (same design) for cheap which supports iOS 13. You guys are making up reasons to complain.

Reminds me of the people who would bi*** that iPhones were too expensive and quoted the price of the maxed out iPhone XS Max, conveniently ignoring all other models.

The grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

Interesting point.  However, don't you wear gloves when riding?  So how do you interact with your phone at all, let alone unlock it?

Of course he wears gloves. He's citing a rare case scenario (does this guy live on his motorcycle?)

And when Apple introduces in-screen TouchID like he wants, he'll complain that he can't unlock it while riding his motorcycle because he wears gloves!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 38
    The iPhone 11 is not ‘far faster’ than the Xr. It is only 20% faster and in real world tests, no one will notice any significant differences.  
    Allegedly, the 11 is slower than the XS. Though I do think the narrative is right in saying that this is running 13.0 and needs polishing. Also, developers should take advantage of the new API's

Shouldn't we compare non flagship with non flagship?

I believe:
    XR -> 11
    XS -> 11 Pro
    XS+ -> 11 Pro Max
    watto_cobraphilboogie
  • Reply 34 of 38
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,664member
    avon b7 said:
    I agree with pretty much all of this. Massive improvement in many areas over last year's phone and in areas that are useful. Lower price, too.

Major gripe is the 5W charger if that is what ships in the box but overall there is a lot to like over the XR which I got last year for the wife.

In my case there is no point upgrading due to the lack of 5G and typically my wife upgrades every three years.

Are you one of those "Fast charger" fetishists who are ignorant to the fact the technology is not ready and is burning batteries and shortening battery lifespans?

Not being mean, it just gets old that people ignore the long lists of negatives and sh** on Apple for not rushing crap to the market.

ivanh said:

You're complaining that your 5 year old iPhones STILL work and had updates for years and new batteries?

HUH?!!?

You DO KNOW Apple still sells iPhone 8 which supports iOS 13. Or you guys can upgrade to iPhone 6s (same design) for cheap which supports iOS 13. You guys are making up reasons to complain.

Reminds me of the people who would bi*** that iPhones were too expensive and quoted the price of the maxed out iPhone XS Max, conveniently ignoring all other models.

The grass is always greener on the other side I guess.

Of course he wears gloves. He's citing a rare case scenario (does this guy live on his motorcycle?)

And when Apple introduces in-screen TouchID like he wants, he'll complain that he can't unlock it while riding his motorcycle because he wears gloves!

People trot this out a lot. It is false.

My lowly Honor fast charging phone left my wife's iPhone 6 battery in the dust. Fast charging every night and with better battery performance during the day and with far more usage, it was her battery that needed replacing, not mine.

I am not ignorant of this and nor is it a fetish.

The key factor here is the technology behind the charging itself. Better chemistry. Better charging. Better cooling. I don't think that is beyond Apple. Do you?

Believe me the technology is ready and it has been in use for years. There are even some technologies that are also ready but just not brought to market yet.

This is from 2016!

https://news.metal.com/newscontent/100848461/report:-huawei-launches-lithium-silicon-battery/

https://pokde.net/gadget/smartphone/huawei-mate-20-x-graphene-film-cooling/

https://www.huawei.com/en/press-events/news/2016/12/Graphene-Assisted-Li-ion-Batteries

More than ready. 

Then there is Oppo, Samsung etc

In spite of all that perhaps is easiest way to answer your claim is to respond with Apple itself has been using fast charging for years now, too. Just not in the box (until two weeks ago of course).

Do you think Apple is using a technology that isn't ready?

My major (yes, it's major) gripe is that after shipping the same paltry charger out of the box for years and years, they finally upgrade it on the 'Pro' models but leave the 11 sitting there with 5W. 

It is penny pinching at best and upsell at worst.

Instead of defending the move with false claims you could say nothing, or criticise it.

It may be Apple's cheapest new model but it is still a flagship and a 5W charger even in the best of cases absolutely isn't a flagship feature.

Here's a suggestion.

Ship these things without chargers. Reduce the price. Let users BTO their charger of choice or better still let them take their old chargers to an Apple Store and get a new faster charger in exchange - for free.

I guarantee you that 5W charger would instantly disappear from manufacturing.

In the meantime, existing Apple users just accumulate the things which does no one any good at all.

'Crazy', I hear you say but remember several manufacturers stopped shipping cables with there devices (Apple even stopped shipping the extension cables).

Make enough fuss and Apple (and anyone who may be shipping similar chargers) will listen.

edited September 2019
  • Reply 35 of 38
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    frantisek said:
    Those longer on this world can remember original QuickTake, Apple attempt into digital cameras in around 1992-3. I had chance to probe it. Probably have few photos taken by it somewhere.
    Wow, yeah, memories. It's hard to believe where cameras are at now, but that thing was actually kind of bad. It's just that it was near the only game in town, so revolutionary. We had one at our office... and a few of the pics, I wish I'd used a film camera so I'd have a better shot I could scan.

nicholfd said:
    And what about new iPhones & new iOS releases are preventing you from using your existing hardware?  Your existing hardware will continue to work exactly the same after the release of the new iPhones & new iOS.
    That used to be the way things were, but not really anymore. The OSs and apps move so quickly now that (not to mention subscription based apps), that you really have to keep up in terms of OS and app updates, which means hardware updates. You can't just freeze in time anymore like many of us used to do (ie. skip several updates of some expensive app).

StrangeDays said:
    The 6 came out five years ago, one can continue to use it without major platform increments, and it may even get critical software updates.
    If you're older, you probably remember a time when relatively expensive tech equipment had a longer life than 5 years. This is kind of different, so it's not exactly apples-to-apples, but I can understand the sentiment to not try and upgrade $1000+ devices every other year or stuff like that.

avon b7 said:
    Believe me the technology is ready and it has been in use for years. There are even some technologies that are also ready but just not brought to market yet.
    This is from 2016!
    Is the argument that it can't be done, shouldn't be done, or that it might be best to leave it optional for the masses? Given the same battery, won't the slow-charged one last longer than the fast-charged one? Most people don't need fast charging, so it might be best to give them the slow version and they can add the fast one if they wish. Who knows if that is how Apple is thinking about it, but that would be how I'd look at it. For example, I have very near zero need for fast charging, so why do it?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 38
    avon b7 said:

Here's a suggestion.

Ship these things without chargers. Reduce the price. Let users BTO their charger of choice or better still let them take their old chargers to an Apple Store and get a new faster charger in exchange - for free.
    Fully agree. While they're at it, exclude the headphones as well. While it's used by many, I wonder what the percentage of people is who already have headphones and chargers. Some brands already exclude adapters, like Garmin, since 'everyone' likely has one. Or simply plug it into your PC(!) with the included USB cable. Yes, USB-A, since that's the gold standard  :)
  • Reply 37 of 38
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    avon b7 said:

Here's a suggestion.

Fully agree. While they're at it, exclude the headphones as well. While it's used by many, I wonder what the percentage of people is who already have headphones and chargers. Some brands already exclude adapters, like Garmin, since 'everyone' likely has one. Or simply plug it into your PC(!) with the included USB cable. Yes, USB-A, since that's the gold standard  :)
    I've had this desire for years… usually with people feeling personal affronted by the notion on this site.

PSUs aren't likely to wear out or break so they just keep collecting in a draw and I since I earbud-style headphone don't work for me, the only time I ever pull those out of the box is on the rare occasion that someone lost/broke a pair and needs a replacement.

Besides being able to lower the COGS for each iPhone, it would allow for the box to be considerably smaller. Those PSUs also have elements that should be recycled properly so being able to return to an Apple Store for some sort of rebate would be nice, but without a serial number I wonder how many knockoffs and stolen PSUs this cold push toward Apple.
  • Reply 38 of 38
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Soli said:
    avon b7 said:

Here's a suggestion.

I've had this desire for years… usually with people feeling personal affronted by the notion on this site.

PSUs aren't likely to wear out or break so they just keep collecting in a draw and I since I earbud-style headphone don't work for me, the only time I ever pull those out of the box is on the rare occasion that someone lost/broke a pair and needs a replacement.

Besides being able to lower the COGS for each iPhone, it would allow for the box to be considerably smaller. Those PSUs also have elements that should be recycled properly so being able to return to an Apple Store for some sort of rebate would be nice, but without a serial number I wonder how many knockoffs and stolen PSUs this cold push toward Apple.

What's strange is people think they're required to use the Apple provided accesories.