Kuo: 2020 iPhone will borrow from iPhone 4 metal frame design

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Finally say hello to USB-C in an iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    mike54 said:
    If next year would be iPhone 4/4S design that will be super and I hope they would make it the same thickness too.
    They won't. Ive said specifically they didn't do big phones when the devices were as thick as the 4 series because they were too unwieldy, thus they continued developing the hardware thinner.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    avon b7 said:
    mike1 said:
    avon b7 said:
    The iPhone 4 design was one of the best IMO. Might be different on a larger format device so some rounding on the edges might be in order.

Either way the current design is stale so a change is necessary. However, changes that dramatically increase the cost of manufacturing don't sound so good.
    Boy, we've gone full circle couple of times.
    iPhone 4/4S/5/5S design is stale. Apple needs a change.
    iPhone 6/6S/7/8 design is stale. Apple needs a change.
    iPhone X/XS11Pro design is stale. Apple needs a change.

With the screen taking up the entire front of the phone, there's not really much room for design variations.

You are right but that doesn't mean there is no room for change. There is.

That is why are seeing all kinds of colours, finish, textures and lens arrangements.

The current iPhone designs are more than stale but at least come with some basic colour options. Better than nothing but if change is coming next year, it's because the current design is past its prime.
    You're under the mistaken impression that Apple does change for change's sake (ie, to alleviate techie forum-goer boredom). They don't. They've said this many times.

The designs aren't stale. Unlike you, I actually own iPhones and just got the 11 (had the X). It's an excellent device, and has a classic, solid design as an object. 

Tho I find it rich to hear this comments from the top cheerleader for the Chinese knockoff brand responsible for the KFC phone:

...Design!
    edited September 2019 cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Eric_WVGG said:
    The iPhone 4 was the Porsche 911 of iPhones. 

The notch is gonna be around for a long time folks.
    Yes, but more like the 993 model 911 of 911s...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Funny thing is, when the 4 famously leaked, the techie forum-goers flipped their lids and called the all new industrial design "ugly", noting especially the visible screws. People said no way would this be the finished product, had to be a prototype. Nope. It was.

Now the consensus from techie forum-goers is it was the best design ever. To me this says the techie forum-goer opinion is not to be trusted -- either they were wrong then, or they're wrong now.
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 29
    mubaili said:
    Just switched from iPhone X to iPhone 11. I am in love with the form fact, the size, and the weight, and the beautifully done camera bump. I cannot come up with any idea to improve it further. I also like the weird characters the notch/horn brings to the table. Perfect iPhone. Next year for iPhone 12, I wish they continue improve the camera like adding a third lens etc.

X: 2436-by-1125-pixel resolution (428 ppi), 6.14 ounces, 5.65 H x 2.79 W x 0.30 D inches
    11: 
    1792-by-828-pixel resolution (326 ppi), 6.84 ounces, 5.94 H x 2.98 W x 0.33 D inches

It's incredibly easy to improve that further: switch back to the X.  Why in the world would you downgrade to a crappier screen in a larger size?  What is the A12 doing for you that the A11 wasn't already doing incredibly well?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    jpellino said:
    SE is still the sweet spot.  For a phone.  

For a pocket computer / cinema camera  not so much. 

And that’s likely why the rumors persist that Apple is looking into folding screen technology. Given the option, nobody wants to carry around a tablet-sized phone, but they sure do like tablet-sized access.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    From his lips to God's ears.  I have not been a fan of the curved edge displays since they were introduced with the iPhone 6.  I loved the flat design of the iPhone 4 and 5 and thought the 4 was the best looking iPhone ever made.

As long as they don't make it the same way where to get into the phone you removed the back panel and to replace the screen basically meant having to take all the innards of the phone completely out.
    leftoverbaconwatto_cobra