2020 iPhone could kill the notch by moving Face ID to the bezel

Comments

• Reply 41 of 75
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    kimberly said:
    I have last years XS Max (I think that is what it is called) and I don't even notice the bloody notch. Then again, I'm not one of those who walk around in the CBD looking at the iPhone instead of where I'm walking.
    It's always been a weird a argument for people to want a forehead that has wasted space when that space can be used for the status bar. For those that complain about a fullscreen video being cut off, that's also bullshit because you can just window it and it's still a little bigger than what was possible with all previous iPhones.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 42 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Logical. The problem is, when Apple does this every phone will look even more like iPhone.

Even today it's embarrassing to see how close the knockoffs look to the real thing. We're gonna reach a point where the only difference in design is the Apple logo. That's sad.

gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I guess this means that other monkey see - monkey do companies will now have to follow suit and get rid of their notches too, if they are able to
    FWIW the Pixel 4 already did...

FWIW the original iPhone already did. (using your logic)
    LOL, you mean using YOUR logic. You have an odd way of looking at things but hey, that's what puts the you in unique. :)

This discussion is about moving all the essential FaceID sensors to the top bezel and dumping "the notch". That makes it relevant to only a very few smartphones. The Pixel 4 and 4XL being two, and recent iPhone models another.
    edited September 2019 Carnagemuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 43 of 75
    Please lose the stupid notch
    i hate it on my XS
  • Reply 44 of 75
    I’m not sure this will be Apple final design. Think about it, if the front is entirely screen what would differentiate it from Android copycats? What would be its signature? There must be something, little thing on the front. Originally we have Home button, then TouchID button (with gold rim on white iPhone). Now with FaceID we have the notch. So what will be the signature of iPhone in the future?
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 45 of 75
    This will just make it much harder to know the top from the bottom. Something should  distinguish IMO 
    Not sure why it needs to. iPad pro has indistinguishable top/bottom side and yet I have never had a problem as the screen reoriented itself depending on how I am holding it with an option to lock if one requires upside down screen for any reasons.
  • Reply 46 of 75
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member

Looks good at the top, but why does it have to mean thicker bezel's over the entire circumference of the phone?

This whole desire for "no bezels" is baffling. They serve a purpose! Small bezels are not a bad thing.

ben20 said:
    About time. Bezels are very ugly.
    we need to put you two in a design room together!
    designrmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 47 of 75
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    netmage said:
    Japhey said:
    This will just make it much harder to know the top from the bottom. Something should  distinguish IMO 
    Good point. Also, with all those components so close to the edge, I would be very nervous that even a slight drop would render the whole phone useless. AppleCare would be more necessary than ever.  Maybe that’s another reason they might bring back TouchID, as a backup way to unlock. Not to mention, most case designs would have to change as well. 
    Will dropping your phone cause your fingers to break, rendering you unable to enter a PIN or password?

I see no reason to distinguish top from bottom - ideally the phone would work equally well in both orientations.
    It might, you never know. To be honest, I haven’t used the passcode on my phone in so long that I actually forgot about it when writing this. So you’re right on that point. As far as the orientation goes, it COULD work equally well both ways, but it doesn’t. Not yet at least. Ever try talking on your phone while it’s upside down? Now, if Apple could could engineer one that made the direction held irrelevant, it would make for a pretty awesome upgrade. 
  • Reply 48 of 75
    Kuyangkoh said:
    My new ipad pro is already like that and looks so very good....so come on 

Um, no, your iPad Pro is nothing like that, not even close. The iPad Pro has about three times the bezel of the current iPhones.
  • Reply 49 of 75
    I don’t buy it. The forward facing lens won’t become less capable over time, so this makes no sense.
  • Reply 50 of 75
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    The notch doesn't bother anyone who actually HAS a phone with one. It disappears in almost all uses, and Apple's arrangement of icons up at the top means it is a non-issue even when it is visible, which is not most of the time.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 51 of 75
    This is just a render. Literally anyone with access to a computer could create this image. There’s no photographs, no supply chain info, nothing whatsoever to corroborate this supposed “exclusive”. Are Apple exploring ways to remove the notch and bury the sensor array into the bezel? Of course they are. They may well even have working prototypes. But this twitter post is neither a leak nor an “exclusive”. 

Did Geskin pay Appleinsider to link to this tweet?!

StrangeDays
  • Reply 52 of 75
    If this is true, then this will be the iPhone I buy. Also they must include touch ID under the screen. But mostly, just getting rid of that f%*&! notch, will please me and millions of others. 
  • Reply 53 of 75
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Looks good at the top, but why does it have to mean thicker bezel's over the entire circumference of the phone?
    To make the phone more proportional looking and easier to hold and use. And because the sides would be squared off, the effective bezel would be no wider than previously.
  • Reply 54 of 75
    TomE said:
    Perhaps no mechanical switches for volume, etc.

Don’t give them ideas.
  • Reply 55 of 75
    The apps and home screen are not vertically rotatable on iPhone.
  • Reply 56 of 75
    apple ][ said:
    I guess this means that other monkey see - monkey do companies will now have to follow suit and get rid of their notches too, if they are able to.

It's pretty hilarious that every time that Apple does something (implements notch, gets rid of headphone jack etc.),  then there is a huge outcry by the outrage crowd over Apple's "controversial" choices. You have other competitors mocking Apple. You have inbred haters and the mentally disabled whining all over the internet.

And then, not too long afterwards, many of the other companies and the rest of the industry begin to follow suit and many of their own products now feature a notch and no headphone jack on some models.

The worst offender has got to be Samsung, with their idiotic commercials, poking fun at Apple for not having a headphone jack, and then what does Samsung do?

They release their top model without a fucking headphone jack, and they delete and remove all prior evidence of the commercials showing that they're a bunch of hypocritical asshats, not to be believed or to be taken seriously in anything that they do, say or claim. They have no shame at all.
    This type of design is inevitable regardless of who copies who. Notches and hole punches are for now trade offs and necessary compromises.
    avon b7
  • Reply 57 of 75
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I guess this means that other monkey see - monkey do companies will now have to follow suit and get rid of their notches too, if they are able to
    Actually, the Pixel 4 just made the notch full width. This possible design is about miniaturisation we haven’t yet seen.
  • Reply 58 of 75
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I don't think that the Pixel 4 is solving the notch with a uniform bezel. Instead, a large forehead and a lesser chin.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/149503-every-angle-of-google-pixel-4-xl-revealed-in-hands-on-images
    They have the proportions of the display curves all wrong. Is this a mock-up or the real phone?
  • Reply 59 of 75
    I don’t buy it. The forward facing lens won’t become less capable over time, so this makes no sense.
    Sorry, what don’t you buy? How is miniaturising the notch sensor array into the bezel less capable?
    edited September 2019
  • Reply 60 of 75
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    ireland said:
    tmay said:
    gatorguy said:
    apple ][ said:
    I don't think that the Pixel 4 is solving the notch with a uniform bezel. Instead, a large forehead and a lesser chin.

https://www.pocket-lint.com/phones/news/google/149503-every-angle-of-google-pixel-4-xl-revealed-in-hands-on-images
    They have the proportions of the display curves all wrong. Is this a mock-up or the real phone?
    I think it's real but not entirely sure. I know as a designer myself I consider those corners an abomination.