How to use Apple's new Reminders app in iOS 13, iPadOS 13, and macOS Catalina

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member

dewme said:
    dysamoria said:
    delete said:
    Maybe you should mention that if you upgrade to this new version on your iOS device, you won't be pleased that your desktop version will no longer be synced since it requires Catalina (which hasn't been released). And yes you can use the iCloud website, but the Reminders there are a truncated version.
    WTF??? I can’t upgrade to Catalina. Apple cut off my two Macs at Sierra and High Sierra. So now I cannot update iOS (I WANT DARK MODE!!!) because it will break my (already half broken) Apple ecosystem???

I’ve specifically mailed Tim Cook about this forced upgrade bullshit doing exactly this to people who aren’t financially able to buy new computers (just to please Apple’s desire to sell more computers to people that already own Apple computers).

This completely defeats the whole point of having all Apple devices! Why am I with this company???? It used to be “because the product is superior”, then it changed to “because the product is less irritating”, and now it’s “because... Wait, what?”
    I feel your pain, but as a software developer I’ve seen the other side of the coin too.  Having to support legacy hardware can be very challenging, expensive, and crippling for launching new software features. No matter where you draw the line there’s going to be something that you just can’t make work correctly on the old hardware. Anecdotally I think Windows tends to support older hardware longer than macOS, but it’s also somewhat of a hot mess to support, and not just for the OS maker but for app developers, driver developers, and IT support folks. 

Having been on the other side I simply cannot subscribe to the theory that Apple is trying to force people to buy a new device by bumping older models off the list of supported devices receiving software upgrades. They simply don’t want to take on the support burden, extra costs, and limitations that are involved with supporting older hardware beyond a certain point. It’s like having a ball & chain around your neck when you’re trying to swim forward. It sucks. 

As an Apple customer, I absolutely feel the pain of being left behind with an older device. It sucks. But truth be told, Apple made no promises up-front about how long they would continue to support my shiny new device with software upgrades when I bought it. It was and still is pretty much a WYSIWYG deal. Perhaps having an explicit guarantee defined up-front would make us feel better. Because there is no explicit contract in-place, we are all left to assume our own acceptance criteria. You’ve obviously chosen a set of criteria that involves writing a letter to Tim Cook. 

Perhaps as part of the deal, and maybe before you reach out to Tim the next time, you should think about the value that your old Mac has already delivered to you over its many years of ownership. Can you ignore all that your old Mac has already given you, and will continue to give you for years to come? Yeah it’s going to stay at its current level of capability forever, but you’ve already gotten your money’s worth out of it and it probably has some residual resale value left in it too. In my book this ain’t something I’d associate with any form of bullshit, it’s the reality of most everything we purchase. Nothing and nobody lasts forever. 
    I say again: I cannot AFFORD to keep buying new Apple hardware when Apple wants me to. My existing equipment has almost no resale value (what would you pay me for a MacBook Pro 5,5, or an iMac 12,2 that was damaged by the guy who sold it to me used?).

As for contracts: If I want to keep one device up-to-date (for security or, in desperation, hope of bug fixes!!!), I have to let Apple take away existing functionality that originally sold the product at me.

[EDIT: Note that after posting this, I now have seen that I will have an option to NOT upgrade the format of Reminders, to maintain some backward compatibility.]

It’s a false dichotomy to say that Apple HAS to either do THIS, or be the disaster Microsoft Windows has been. I left Windows for the Apple ecosystem and now Apple is making it impossible for me to stick with it because they want me to buy new hardware. It’s not the first time we’ve seen them hold off functionality from older devices with no proof of necessity. It won’t be the last. Is this absolutely a plot of planned obsolescence? I find it VERY hard and irrational to dismiss that it’s not at least a conscious motive that they act on.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 22 of 28

dysamoria said:

Also, trying to show off “natural language parsing” when “...doesn't work when you want to write ‘last day of the month,’” is pretty embarrassing for Apple. How hard is it to parse the last day of the month? There is a set number of days in each month, and a single every-four-years exception. What’s the lazy programmer excuse here? Who’s going to pop up here to defend software as being “inherently complex” (but never when someone questions the sanity in trusting software when it IS now actually inherently unpredictable) and aggressively remind us that we who dare criticize “simply don’t understand software development” to mindlessly defend these flaws and holes in functionality? Anyone? 

As someone who does understand software development, having done it for 40 years, the inability to parse "the last day of the month" is somewhat more complicated than you make it appear.  If people always used that exact phrase and never anything else, it would be dead simple because, as you pointed out, the last day of the month can be calculated exactly for any month of any year, past or future.  It's the parsing of "natural language" that is the kicker, and that's not always easy at all.

It will get better.
    All you did was say it was difficult. You didn’t explain why.
  • Reply 23 of 28

Wgkrueger said:
    dysamoria said:
    delete said:
    Maybe you should mention that if you upgrade to this new version on your iOS device, you won't be pleased that your desktop version will no longer be synced since it requires Catalina (which hasn't been released). And yes you can use the iCloud website, but the Reminders there are a truncated version.
    WTF??? I can’t upgrade to Catalina. Apple cut off my two Macs at Sierra and High Sierra. So now I cannot update iOS (I WANT DARK MODE!!!) because it will break my (already half broken) Apple ecosystem???

I’ve specifically mailed Tim Cook about this forced upgrade bullshit doing exactly this to people who aren’t financially able to buy new computers (just to please Apple’s desire to sell more computers to people that already own Apple computers).

This completely defeats the whole point of having all Apple devices! Why am I with this company???? It used to be “because the product is superior”, then it changed to “because the product is less irritating”, and now it’s “because... Wait, what?”
    After upgrading to iOS 13 and you open the reminders app you will be asked if you want to upgrade to the new reminders. I said yes but I think you can keep the old reminders format and use it in older Macs. 
    Thank you for this information! I will continue to keep abreast of this situation. I waited for a long time to be sure I wanted to break compatibility with Notes on iOS 6.x (every time I look at my iPhone 4, now serving as an iPod, I see how beautiful the GUI was before iOS 7 struck). I’m glad to hear that there is such an option with this new reminders format.

thanks!
  • Reply 24 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    MicDorsey said:
    seanj said:

I hold Apple to a higher standard. Do you know why? Because the Apple of 2007-2012 actually cared about that standard. 
    Looking at the Apple leadership team at https://www.apple.com/uk/leadership/
    and I think they are missing a role; Senior VP of Quality.
    Ideally a perfectionist like Steve who regardless of the financial cost to the company will slap down and say “no” to any VP wanting to release hardware/ software/ service that fails to meet Steve’s standards of quality and industry leading perfection. The standards that made Apple unique.
    Ultimately, Tim Cook is to be held accountable for Apple's fall from excellence. Mr. Cook is busy worrying about share price, public expectations, media rants, and SJW causes.
    As for Apple's VPs, they should be held accountable for making sure their personnel understand the Apple ecosystem and how the new product or service fits within it. A hands-on VP should never see a preliminary (much less a final) design that does not logically and aesthetically integrate with other Apple products.
    Mr. Cook has spent years scrambling to come up with the next big thing, while the loyal user stumbles along with poor Cloud services, indecipherable photo management, woefully inept customer support, and on and on.
    You must be new to Apple, they don’t manage to the share price. They have never done so, and Cook isn’t either. 

What SJW causes are you referring to? Equal civil rights for gays is problematic to you? If not that, what?

Youre also on drugs if you believe Apple customer support is poor. They’re among the very best and their consumer satisfaction rating reflects this. 

There hasn’t been a “fall from excellence”. They had bugs before, they have bugs now, they will have bugs in the future. But by becoming the most successful public company in history, there are more customers than ever and more media scrutiny. And even haters on websites (gasp). 
    fastasleeproundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 28
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member

Wgkrueger said:
    dysamoria said:
    delete said:

After upgrading to iOS 13 and you open the reminders app you will be asked if you want to upgrade to the new reminders. I said yes but I think you can keep the old reminders format and use it in older Macs. 
    Exactly — despite Dysamoria’s ignorant assertions and panic storm, he’s completely wrong. He is free to upgrade to iOS and then simply decline to upgrade Reminders. 

So. Much. FUD. 
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 28
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    dysamoria said:
    It’s not the first time we’ve seen them hold off functionality from older devices with no proof of necessity. It won’t be the last. Is this absolutely a plot of planned obsolescence? I find it VERY hard and irrational to dismiss that it’s not at least a conscious motive that they act on.
    It's not withholding functionality from older devices, it's the software that runs on those devices. Newer versions of macOS require Metal support, which is not possible with older Macs. They're under no obligation to go back and revise three year old software for you. As you've already learned, your ranting was completely unfounded since you can continue to use the Reminders as the functionality exists now.

The "planned obsolescence" thing is a lazy bullshit conspiracy theory. Technology moves forward with or without you, the latter especially if you choose to not keep up.
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 28
    The newest reminders update is horrendous - Apple should have just left it how it was. The worst part of the update is there is no autocorrect. How can an app not have autocorrect these days? That was a huge oversight on apple’s part. I also dislike that days and times are now separate because if you select a reminder just for the day, it never alerts you in any way. The app should at least give you a red bubble alert for reminders that day. Overall, poor update, Apple.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 28 of 28
    I'm WAY behind the previous commenters (NOT commentators). I just want to know how to set up reminders for the Messages I send or receive on my new iPad Pro 11" iPadOS 13.3. (Oh, and how to use the new cameras. Step by step. But that's another subject.)