Apple's iOS 13.1 caps certain iPhone Qi chargers to 5W

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2019
The latest release of iOS 13 has introduced a new limitation to assorted wireless Qi chargers that sees them capped to 5W instead of their specified 7.5W.

Wireless Qi charging of an iPhone
Wireless Qi charging of an iPhone

As of iOS 13.1, certain Qi chargers that are rated to deliver 7.5W to wireless-chargeable iPhones have been capped to just 5W. This is affecting the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max plus last year's iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max models.

No official explanation has been issued. However, a source inside Apple corporate, not authorized to speak on behalf of the company, has confirmed the cap to AppleInsider. "Any vendors who are fully compliant with the Qi charging spec and all of our guidance will see 7.5W charging," said our source.

However, research by AppleInsider suggests that the issue is more complicated. Manufacturers, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said Apple has yet to give them any specific direction. Also, that they have discovered being fully compliant with Qi certification requirements does not appear to guarantee their products will avoid the 5W cap.

The issue was first reported by testing body ChargerLab. The company reports that 7.5W is still available using Qi charging pads from companies such as Belkin, Mophie, and Anker.

"Our analysis is that, in iOS 13.1, Apple only enables 7.5W charging for solutions using fixed-frequency voltage regulation (which is recommended by Apple)," says ChargerLab. "Products with all the other solutions will be limited to 5W charging only."

Apple itself does not make a Qi charger, following the cancellation of its proposed AirPower product. This has left the market open for very many alternatives.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    DeathDeath Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    Samsung: Burn 'em all !!
    razorpitchiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 28
    Well if Apple did not design iPhones to work with other charging standards, better wait a bit longer than burn your house.

Besides it makes no difference for overnight charging, and fast charging is faster with a cable...
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 28
    Sounds like Apple is trying to protect the Mobile from possibly burning up..
    edited October 2019 exceptionhandlerchaicka
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Can there be effect on battery health or signals reception or other hw functionality?
  • Reply 5 of 28
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I so prefer charging my iPhone the old fashioned way: wired.
    beowulfschmidt
  • Reply 6 of 28
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    Apple only enables 7.5W charging for solutions using fixed-frequency voltage regulation”

Interesting. Voltage is regulated by rapid switching, you either change the frequency of the switching (pulse frequency modulation) of you keep the frequency constant and change the length of each on-switch (pulse width modulation).

Pulse frequency modulation is more likely to cause interference as it moves through certain frequencies with changes in load.
    chasmbluefirexcaladaniann2itivguychaicka
  • Reply 7 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple needs to produce its own QI charger. That I would buy. I bought my wife the Belkin charger that is exclusive to the Apple Store. I wonder if it’s capped.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 28
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Yet another reason corded charging is better. 

BTW - Does anyone else think it looks like the phone in the picture is melting?

mbenz1962Alinschiopuwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 28
    lkrupp said:
    Apple needs to produce its own QI charger. That I would buy. I bought my wife the Belkin charger that is exclusive to the Apple Store. I wonder if it’s capped.
    FTA - "The company reports that 7.5W is still available using Qi charging pads from companies such as Belkin, Mophie, and Anker. "

If Apple had their own charger they would be accused of crippling the competition just to drive sales to their own charger.
    chasmcaladanianrazorpitchaickawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 28
    maltzmaltz Posts: 454member
    lkrupp said:
    From the article:
    The issue was first reported by testing body ChargerLab. The company reports that 7.5W is still available using Qi charging pads from companies such as Belkin, Mophie, and Anker.

chasmwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 28
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,358member
    lkrupp said:
    Reading the article would lead me to believe it's not. Plugging the charger into a Kill-A-Watt might indicate if and when the 7.5W rate is in use.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 28
    robjn said:
    “Apple only enables 7.5W charging for solutions using fixed-frequency voltage regulation”

Interesting. Voltage is regulated by rapid switching, you either change the frequency of the switching (pulse frequency modulation) of you keep the frequency constant and change the length of each on-switch (pulse width modulation).

Pulse frequency modulation is more likely to cause interference as it moves through certain frequencies with changes in load.
    I do t know why people are acting like they don’t know why. This is the exact reason why. Variable frequency chargers are 5W, fixed go to 7.5W.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 28
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,294member
    lkrupp said:
    I bought my wife the Belkin charger that is exclusive to the Apple Store. I wonder if it’s capped.
    I wonder if you’ll ever read a whole article before commenting.
    chemengin1caladanianrazorpitn2itivguyMplsPfastasleepmwhitemuthuk_vanalingamtoysandme
  • Reply 14 of 28
    bluefire1 said:
    For me I wore out my iPhone 7 Plus enough (admittedly I did not use best practices for having it plugged in/not using it) that the lighting port was starting to get fairly loose. I'm happy to have my newer iPhone sit on a 5W charger overnight to have 365 less port insertions a year (particularly with phones lasting longer than ever).
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 28
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    I smell lawsuits.
  • Reply 16 of 28
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    My wife has a RAV Power wireless charger on the bedside table for convenience.

No Idea what the power rating is as I never felt the need to check (not necessary really for an overnight charge) but periodically the XR will not charge when placed on the support. Luckily, the quickfix is simply to restart the phone.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    bluefire1 said:
    Have fun with those cords.  I prefer the new fashioned way and only do cords if traveling and need to.
  • Reply 18 of 28
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    lkrupp said:
    I purchased the Belkin (Watch +iPhone) in the Apple Store. The last thing I do before floating a few z's overnight is put the iPhone and Watch on the Belkin next to the bed. Whether it is 5W or 7.5W is a moot point for me as both Watch and iPhone are 100% in the morning. Use-case and expectations vary from person to person.
    muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 28
    Deelron said:
    bluefire1 said:
    For me I wore out my iPhone 7 Plus enough (admittedly I did not use best practices for having it plugged in/not using it) that the lighting port was starting to get fairly loose. I'm happy to have my newer iPhone sit on a 5W charger overnight to have 365 less port insertions a year (particularly with phones lasting longer than ever).
    In 10 years of owning iPhones I have had the port fail exactly 0 times. My wife had an iPhone 4s that was 5 years old when it finally just quit working. The port worked as good as the day we bought it. In one week of using a wireless charger I had my phone fail to charge twice. Qi is typically only 60-70% efficient at transmitting power and is slower than wired charging.

You tell me which one's better.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 28
    Good reporting - would like to learn more about this.
    watto_cobra