Apple quality pulled Jennifer Aniston back for 'The Morning Show'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Star of "The Morning Show" Jennifer Aniston believes that the quality of content on streaming services was a deciding factor on her return to the small screen for Apple.

"The Morning Show" is Apple TV+'s upcoming newsroom drama series centered on the world of morning news. It takes a look at the lives and ambitions of those involved in helping America wake up. Set to debut on November 1, the show features Jennifer Aniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carell.

Aniston plays Alex Levy who runs the show's titular news program. Her partner of 15 years, Mitch Kessler, played by Carell, is fired due to sexual misconduct. The series follows Alex as she attempts to retain her job as top newsreader amidst a rivalry with aspiring journalist Bradley Jackson, played by Witherspoon.

Jennifer Aniston sat down with Variety to discuss what it was like working on her first television series in well over a decade. In the interview, she discusses how the Me Too movement had shaped and changed the way "The Morning Show" was written. The show had originally been pitched prior to the height of the Me Too movement, which meant once The Today Show's Matt Lauer had been fired, the writers decided to take "The Morning Show" in a different direction.

"The show got picked up. We sold it to Apple with an outline. Then, about four months later, the whole s-- hit the fan and, basically, we had to start from scratch," she told Variety.

She discusses that while the characters and events in "The Morning Show" are meant to be fictional, they'd likely all be very familiar.

"[The characters are] highlighting aspects of the archetype of a charming narcissist, of a generation of men that didn't think that was bad behavior. That's just the way it works. And men are flirts and women are coy and find it flattering," said Aniston. "And thankfully, with the sacrifices of these women who have come forward, this isn't going to happen anymore. It's wonderful that you're accountable and you have to check yourself."

Aniston also delves into talking about the production of "The Morning Show." It was shot out of order, which made for long days, which she stated was a lot harder than filming something lighter, like Friends.

As it turns out, Jennifer Aniston's big return to the small screen was brought about by the advent of streaming services. She notes that she was surprised by the amount of quality content that was coming out for streaming services like Netflix.

She also expresses that she was worried about selling her show to Apple at first. The show was purchased when Apple "Didn't have walls yet or telephones," according to Aniston.

However, she goes on to state that she was excited to take part in the launch of Apple TV+.

"There was really something exciting about being the first at Apple. Apple is pretty awesome. They make cool stuff. Why wouldn't they maybe make cool television?" Aniston asked. "And they are all about quality, not quantity, so that was really appealing. And in spite of their comical secrecy, it's been worth it. Who doesn't want to be part of the Wild Wild West?"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    The show was purchased when Apple "Didn't have walls yet or telephones," according to Aniston. What does she mean by ‘walls’ ? And no telephones? If she means cellphones that Implies it must have been longer than 12 years ago. Her statement just does not make sense.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 2 of 10
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member
    The show was purchased when Apple "Didn't have walls yet or telephones," according to Aniston. What does she mean by ‘walls’ ? And no telephones? If she means cellphones that Implies it must have been longer than 12 years ago. Her statement just does not make sense.
    I think she meant the production arm. 
    fastasleeplollivercornchipwilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 10
    It means their efforts in TV didn’t even have offices yet. It was so early that the sale of their show even preceded them having offices, or proper channels for contacts, etc.
    fastasleeplolliverAppleExposedrazorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    So this show descended into yet more self-entitlement propaganda before it’s even launched.  Pass.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 5 of 10
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,945member
    mcdave said:
    So this show descended into yet more self-entitlement propaganda before it’s even launched.  Pass.

probably gonna b a hit then!
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Another public-male-figure-fired-for-sexual-misconduct ("MeToo") show on TV. What an original idea! Not... I'm bored with it already...pass.

I hope Apple has something better up it's sleeve so I can actually use my free 1 YR Apple TV+ subscription...
    edited October 2019 AppleExposedphilboogie
  • Reply 7 of 10
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    When I first heard about ti I thought it was an actual live morning show like Good Morning America. Brilliant idea! There's a huge audience that loves that stuff and it creates HYPE.

Then we get this:
    "And men are flirts"

Men aren't allowed to flirt. First world problems for sure.

ITGUYINSD said:
    Another public-male-figure-fired-for-sexual-misconduct ("MeToo") show on TV. What an original idea! Not... I'm bored with it already...pass.

I hope Apple has something better up it's sleeve so I can actually use my free 1 YR Apple TV+ subscription...

Oh now you've dunit!! The white knights are gonna hang you and claim you hate women. LOL.

You'll get killed and they'll have you laid! (too bad they won't be.)
    razorpit
  • Reply 8 of 10
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,621member
    mcdave said:
    I had the same sensation but it's all part of 'the sale'.

Apart from Amazon Prime Video, I don't subscribe to TV due to lack of sofa time but if the writing and performances are good, I can enjoy shows I would normally have passed on.

I also rolled my eyes over the quantity vs quality statement. That's impossible if you want to fill a streaming service as a subscription. Not to mention that the general public sometimes chooses crap over quality or that taste plays a major part too.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I'll watch it for two or three eps. If I like it I'll continue. If I don't I won't. But there's no judging until I see it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 10
    AppleishAppleish Posts: 687member
    Her big screen roles weren't exactly Oscar material. Most of them had her there for her name. Could have been any actress.

That being said, although I don't have a huge interest in this show (or any of the Apple+ shows*), she'll probably shine in it.

*I am glad that there aren't any reality shows. They are filled with dumb people making the world dumber.
    cornchipwatto_cobra