US lawmakers urge Apple CEO Tim Cook to reinstate HKmap Live app

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 72
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    A few hours ago I learnt that a 60 year old women, a friend of mine, suffering cancer and  leukaemia , among the 350,000 protesters, finished a peaceful demonstration today, which was claimed by the police as illegal, has been going nowhere because the police has closed the railway. The police were using tear gas and water cannon tank towards the protesters.  No further news from her since then.
  • Reply 62 of 72
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    tzeshan said:
    spice-boy said:
    steven n. said:
    cat52 said:
    sflocal said:
    These politicians are only making a ruckus to ensure their re-election.  Nothing more.
    I bet the protestors in HK would beg to differ.

While politicians do like to grandstand regarding all sorts of trivial matters, this is one example where speaking out can make a difference. So if Apple decides to swallow its moral compass, there is no harm in others reminding them to do the right thing. And if you really would like to see China's govt topple, then remaining silent and preserving the status quo isn't going to get it done.  

Do you believe there is a single moral compass and anyone deviating from it is “immoral”?
    Chinese society has a long history of authoritarianism and the vast majority of their people don’t seem to mind this arrangement. If the Chinese people have thoughts about overthrowing their government, it’s not reflected in current attitudes.
    "Chinese society has a long history of authoritarianism and the vast majority of their people don’t seem to mind this arrangement. If the Chinese people have thoughts about overthrowing their government, it’s not reflected in current attitudes."

HOW on earth could you possibly know this?
    How is it that you DON'T know it?
    China is a one party political system. Nothing more, nothing less. 
    So, what's your point?
    Calling China authoritarian is misleading. Any governing party in the world is authoritarian. This is the nature of politics. Otherwise how you govern? 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 63 of 72
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    ivanh said:
    A few hours ago I learnt that a 60 year old women, a friend of mine, suffering cancer and  leukaemia , among the 350,000 protesters, finished a peaceful demonstration today, which was claimed by the police as illegal, has been going nowhere because the police has closed the railway. The police were using tear gas and water cannon tank towards the protesters.  No further news from her since then.
    You are trying to mislead Americans. You said this is a peaceful demonstration. But you omit the fact that some protesters are vandalizing. And this is the reason why Hong Kong police using tear gas and water cannon tank.. They are not aimed at peaceful protesters but some violent protesters. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 64 of 72
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    tzeshan said:
    ivanh said:
    You are trying to mislead Americans. You said this is a peaceful demonstration. But you omit the fact that some protesters are vandalizing. And this is the reason why Hong Kong police using tear gas and water cannon tank.. They are not aimed at peaceful protesters but some violent protesters. 
    They are doing FAR more than vandalizing.  Aside from attacking and shutting down public agencies such as the airport, transit systems and government agencies -- and generally disrupting Hong Kong's society and businesses such that Hong Kong has gone from stable prosperity to approaching recession -- they are regularly attacking police with Molotov cocktails.  

Hong Kong police have been incredibly patient and tolerant.  The U.S. would have had the National Guard shutting these protest down long ago because these are not "peaceful protestors" -- to call them rioters is far accurate.  But, as one expresses it (below) they are calling themselves 'fighters' now.

As I said, the U.S. would not tolerate this.  

An excerpt from today's Reuters:
    “You can see Hong Kongers won’t easily give up their right to demonstrate... today’s turnout is more than I expected,” said Daniel Yeung, an unemployed protester  “You can see that as long as people keep coming out in large numbers we are safe and can keep fighting,” he said.

Hong Kong has been battered by months of often massive and violent protests over concerns that Beijing is tightening its grip on the city, the worst political crisis since Britain handed the city back to China in 1997.

Protesters threw petrol bombs at the Tsim Sha Tsui police station on Kowloon peninsula after police inside fired volleys of tear gas to disperse demonstrators on the street."

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hongkong-protests/hong-kong-protesters-stage-major-rally-tear-gas-petrol-bombs-shatter-calm-idUSKBN1WZ019

• Reply 65 of 72
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    The thuggish and madness police were attacking a girl with pepper water hose. They were crazy.

https://youtu.be/ybVvWcLUH9U
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 66 of 72
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Google just announced that Google maps will now reports police locations and various law enforcement groups and government officials are demanding Google remove the feature. They are arguing it allows gangs and various criminals groups can use it to avoid police. I wonder if same people demanding Apple to reinstate the HK apps will stand up for US citizens and tell local governments and police they do not have right to tell Google to remove the feature.

• Reply 67 of 72
    steven n. said:
    cat52 said:
    sflocal said:
    These politicians are only making a ruckus to ensure their re-election.  Nothing more.

While politicians do like to grandstand regarding all sorts of trivial matters, this is one example where speaking out can make a difference. So if Apple decides to swallow its moral compass, there is no harm in others reminding them to do the right thing. And if you really would like to see China's govt topple, then remaining silent and preserving the status quo isn't going to get it done.  

Do you believe there is a single moral compass and anyone deviating from it is “immoral”?
    Chinese society has a long history of authoritarianism and the vast majority of their people don’t seem to mind this arrangement. If the Chinese people have thoughts about overthrowing their government, it’s not reflected in current attitudes.
    That'll be the Stockholm syndrome
  • Reply 68 of 72
    steven n. said:
    cat52 said:
    sflocal said:

No, it's the same syndrome that effects Trump supporters:   Self Interest   China has led the world for over a decade in economic growth (and not by a little but by 2, 3, 4 times that of any other major nation) and its people are immensely better off today than they were at any time in the past.
  • Reply 69 of 72
    steven n. said:
    cat52 said:
    sflocal said:

I do believe it is partly due to this, but China has long history or wars, and infighting and poverty. This is the first time since before WWII when the Japanese invaded China that Chain is not involved in wars and people are raising out of poverty. It appears for most Chinese as long as they do not care about things the government does not like they seem to be fine with the status quo. I speak with Chinese business people all the time, most appear to be very happy making lots of money and definitely avoid any discussion about how the government is run. You would see the same thing in the US, if a business person thinks speaking out about any specific topic will do harm to their business they keep their mouth shut. Our government tries to silence critics they just use different methods, like regulations, they are currently trying to breakup Google, Facebook, Apple and Amazon because they do not like the influence they have over the general public. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 70 of 72
    maestro64 said:
    steven n. said:
    cat52 said:
    sflocal said:

I do believe it is partly due to this, but China has long history or wars, and infighting and poverty. This is the first time since before WWII when the Japanese invaded China that Chain is not involved in wars and people are raising out of poverty. It appears for most Chinese as long as they do not care about things the government does not like they seem to be fine with the status quo. I speak with Chinese business people all the time, most appear to be very happy making lots of money and definitely avoid any discussion about how the government is run. You would see the same thing in the US, if a business person thinks speaking out about any specific topic will do harm to their business they keep their mouth shut. Our government tries to silence critics they just use different methods, like regulations, they are currently trying to breakup Google, Facebook, Apple and Amazon because they do not like the influence they have over the general public. 
    I think it is more accurate to say that China has long history of being conquered, colonized and ruled by others.  While, they have not given any indication that they want to return the favor, they give every indication that they will refuse to be dominated by others in the future.   And, as they are playing the long game, it means that they will bend but never break.

As for leadership:  their leaders may be tough, but they are not corrupt and they obviously put the country before themselves.   I wish we could say the same -- but we haven't had that for decades.   
  • Reply 71 of 72
    maestro64 said:
    steven n. said:
    cat52 said:
    sflocal said:

I think it is more accurate to say that China has long history of being conquered, colonized and ruled by others.  While, they have not given any indication that they want to return the favor, they give every indication that they will refuse to be dominated by others in the future.   And, as they are playing the long game, it means that they will bend but never break.

As for leadership:  their leaders may be tough, but they are not corrupt and they obviously put the country before themselves.   I wish we could say the same -- but we haven't had that for decades.   
    Oh corruption is ramped in China. What has change, in the past any US company trying to play in the Chinese sand box had to grease the palms, but those companies got in trouble in the US, since US has corruption laws which span the world. US citizen paying bribes in other countries still get you in trouble in the US. US companies no long have to pay to play in China, just the local companies that US companies deal with have to pay to play. The corruption is mostly hidden from people outside China.