Production of Apple's 16-inch MacBook Pro has supposedly begun

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited February 2020
The 16-inch version of the MacBook Pro has reportedly entered production, with the new model being constructed by Quanta right now, with the potential to be launched by the end of October or very early November.

Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.
Rendering of Apple's rumored 16-inch MacBook Pro.

Rumored since early 2019, the 16-inch MacBook Pro would be a return to offering bigger notebooks for Apple, with it offering a larger screen than the 15-inch and 13-inch models currently offered by the company. Talk from the supply chain indicates it is on the way, with its launch happening shortly.

According to sources of DigiTimes, Taiwanese assembly partner Quanta Computer has commenced production and is shipping the 16-inch MacBook Pro at volume. The model will apparently be equipped with Intel's "Coffee Lake" or "Ice Lake" processors, and will feature an "ultra-thin bezel design" with a scissor keyboard mechanism.

It is unclear how accurate the report is, as DigiTimes has a mixed history when it comes to rumors. While the publication does well with supply chain shipments and timings, product feature pronouncements aren't its strongest suit.

In August, an IHS Markit analyst suggested production for the model would start in September, with a target volume of 39,000 units per month.

On Friday, references to a "MacBook Pro 16,1" and images were discovered in the macOS Catalina 10.15.1, which is usually a good indicator of a product's imminent arrival. The images show a slightly different bezel size for the model compared to the 15-inch model, along with changes in the space usage around the speakers.

Other rumor reports have also touched upon the use of Coffee Lake-H mobile processors and the scissor-switch mechanism, and a 96-Watt USB-C power adapter. It is expected the 16-inch MacBook Pro will cost more than $3,000 per unit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,911member
    It would be very odd that Apple's that far along that they're beginning production but they haven't announced it yet
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 2 of 36
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Come on enough with the Mac Books already Apple start production on the Mac Pro will ya! 
    lkrupp
  • Reply 3 of 36
    jimh2jimh2 Posts: 611member
    MplsP said:
    It would be very odd that Apple's that far along that they're beginning production but they haven't announced it yet
    Unlike other companies they usually like to wait until it they have confirmed ship dates. This may also be a silent announcement where it just shows up on the website as another MacBook Pro configuration.
  • Reply 4 of 36
    Will it be thicker with the new (old) keyboard and better airflow to keep the CPU cooking higher though? :D 
    baconstangbigpics
  • Reply 5 of 36
    MplsP said:
    Every now and then you can hear Apple say during a keynote “... and they’re available today!”
    stompychiamacgui
  • Reply 6 of 36
    jkdsteve said:
    Will it be thicker with the new (old) keyboard and better airflow to keep the CPU cooking higher though? :D 
    I hope for a USB-C charger plug in the back center so I can use the MacBook on my lap without having to constantly check if side plug is stressed or poking in my leg. Also bring a MagSafe USB-C already!
    razorpittenthousandthingsbaconstangoseame
  • Reply 7 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    jkdsteve said:
    I hope for a USB-C charger plug in the back center so I can use the MacBook on my lap without having to constantly check if side plug is stressed or poking in my leg. Also bring a MagSafe USB-C already!
    I hope you're not serious about these desires. The first is feasible in terms of engineering, but extremely unlikely to happen, and the second has been available for years for hardly any cost from countless other vendors.
    fastasleepchia
  • Reply 8 of 36
    mpantonempantone Posts: 2,033member
    MplsP said:
    It's called a production ramp or ramp-up. This certainly isn't the first time Apple has done this. For something that sells lots of units (like the iPhone), Apple's production ramp is likely six weeks prior to the availability date. Their manufacturing partners can't make ten million iPhones in a week.

Apple isn't the only one who does this. It's pretty common practice in the manufacturing industry. You want that new videogame console on Day 1? Well, it was probably built a month ago and sat in a warehouse up until a couple of days ago.

This is a very well known concept in economics and business.
    edited October 2019 fastasleepbigpics
  • Reply 9 of 36
    I'm buying this immediately, but I have a lot of reservations:

1. The only reason this is going to start at $2,999 or higher is because Apple is going to pull the same crap with this model as they did with the new Mac Pro and simply not offer a lower-spec model at launch. It will start with a high amount of storage and RAM (which Pro customers usually BTO anyway). Then after a year, I expect we'll see this model replace the 15" MBP with a lower-spec entry model.

2. This pisses me off because this means that after 3 years of an unusable keyboard, the first model to carry their solution to that problem will be the most expensive model. And this will be the only Apple laptop with a worthwhile keyboard for the next several months. That means every single MacBook customer will need to seriously consider (and many will bite) this very expensive model for the keyboard alone.

It just bothers me that Apple would do this, and it bothers me even more that I'm going to support this decision...because I'm in need of the biggest laptop they can offer (like, yesterday), and refuse to buy another one with the butterfly keyboard.
    docno42
  • Reply 10 of 36
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

1. The only reason this is going to start at $2,999 or higher is because Apple is going to pull the same crap with this model as they did with the new Mac Pro and simply not offer a lower-spec model at launch. It will start with a high amount of storage and RAM (which Pro customers usually BTO anyway). Then after a year, I expect we'll see this model replace the 15" MBP with a lower-spec entry model.

2. This pisses me off because this means that after 3 years of an unusable keyboard, the first model to carry their solution to that problem will be the most expensive model. And this will be the only Apple laptop with a worthwhile keyboard for the next several months. That means every single MacBook customer will need to seriously consider (and many will bite) this very expensive model for the keyboard alone.

It just bothers me that Apple would do this, and it bothers me even more that I'm going to support this decision...because I'm in need of the biggest laptop they can offer (like, yesterday), and refuse to buy another one with the butterfly keyboard.

By "unusable" keyboard, you mean a keyboard that tens upon tens of millions of people have used without issue for the last few years, myself included? 

The trollish extremism is amazing. 
    Rayz2016caladanianfastasleepchiajohnbsiriusspheric
  • Reply 11 of 36
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

It's by far my least favorite Apple keyboard, and I've had some minor issues after debris got struck temporarily, and know people who have had been given nearly completely new Macs after a key stopped working, but to say it's "unusable" is too much hyperbole to take your issue seriously.

I'll likely be getting this MBP, especially if the keyboard is more like the old one, and I'll likely be shelling out $4k for it. I'm fine with that. If the benefit seems to be better than the expense I'll do it. That's it for me. I'm not bothered that they would put their newest stuff in their newest Mac.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 36
    Can we pump the brakes for a second?  Although this would be a nice surprise, this is Digitimes we're talking about here.  In less than 7 days they have claimed Quanta will
    1. Stop making the Apple Watch https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/16/quanta-may-stop-apple-watch-assembly-2020/
    2. Supply both Apple and Google with autonomous driving solutions https://www.macrumors.com/2019/10/18/quanta-apple-car/
    3. Started production on the 16" MB. - This article.

Just to throw dirt, cuz can, anybody remember this gem?https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/03/22/apples-airpower-charging-mat-launching-in-late-march-possibly-in-large-quantities 7days later.  AirPower cancelled.  

SoliRayz2016
  • Reply 13 of 36
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    mpantone said:
    MplsP said:
    It's called a production ramp or ramp-up. This certainly isn't the first time Apple has done this. For something that sells lots of units (like the iPhone), Apple's production ramp is likely six weeks prior to the availability date. Their manufacturing partners can't make ten million iPhones in a week.

Apple isn't the only one who does this. It's pretty common practice in the manufacturing industry. You want that new videogame console on Day 1? Well, it was probably built a month ago and sat in a warehouse up until a couple of days ago.

This is a very well known concept in economics and business.
    But producing a large number of them while keeping the details of it from leaking out before the official announcement is a difficult task. Apple does an amazingly good job at this, albeit not a perfect one since we are fairly certain about its existence.
  • Reply 14 of 36
    DaringFireball speculates it'll have a physical ESC key:  https://daringfireball.net/linked/2019/10/18/macbook-pro-16
  • Reply 15 of 36
    Soli said:
    jkdsteve said:
    I hope you're not serious about these desires. The first is feasible in terms of engineering, but extremely unlikely to happen, and the second has been available for years for hardly any cost from countless other vendors.
    I actually think about how Apple took a step back when it comes to charging, and how their usability team didn’t consider using it on a user’s lap. It constantly gets hot as vents get blocked, and the charging connector bares stress. I like USB-C and how it can do so many things at the same time, but do not like it’s location and hope they make a MagSafe version of it instead of having to buy the aftermarket stuff. I don’t like things sticking out of my laptop. MagSafe also had a super useful light indicator. 
    razorpitbaconstangd_2lmac
  • Reply 16 of 36
    slurpy said:

By "unusable" keyboard, you mean a keyboard that tens upon tens of millions of people have used without issue for the last few years, myself included? 

The trollish extremism is amazing. 
    Soli said:

It's by far my least favorite Apple keyboard, and I've had some minor issues after debris got struck temporarily, and know people who have had been given nearly completely new Macs after a key stopped working, but to say it's "unusable" is too much hyperbole to take your issue seriously.

I'll likely be getting this MBP, especially if the keyboard is more like the old one, and I'll likely be shelling out $4k for it. I'm fine with that. If the benefit seems to be better than the expense I'll do it. That's it for me. I'm not bothered that they would put their newest stuff in their newest Mac.
    The level of delusion you'd have to achieve to say anything remotely complimentary or defensive about the butterfly keyboard is, frankly, scary.

baconstangdocno42lmac
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Here’s a thought. This will be like the iMac (two sizes) and iMac Pro (one size).

So there will be a 13” MacBook (formerly Pro) and a 15” MacBook  (formerly Pro); and there will be the 16” MacBook Pro. 
  • Reply 18 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    Soli said:
    jkdsteve said:
    I actually think about how Apple took a step back when it comes to charging, and how their usability team didn’t consider using it on a user’s lap. It constantly gets hot as vents get blocked, and the charging connector bares stress. I like USB-C and how it can do so many things at the same time, but do not like it’s location and hope they make a MagSafe version of it instead of having to buy the aftermarket stuff. I don’t like things sticking out of my laptop. MagSafe also had a super useful light indicator. 
    Yep. USB-C is good. I like that fact you can charge with it if needed. For example when plugged in to a device such as a monitor that supports charging over USB, but when you think of the how the device is used, MagSafe is the best for mobile users.
    baconstang
  • Reply 19 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    MplsP said:
    How is doing what every manufacture on earth, serving customers in volume, does odd?    You have to ramp up production just to get the production bugs out.   Then you have to manufacture at volume to build inventory for launch.  This has been business practice since fairly early in the industrial revolution.  

• Reply 20 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    DaringFireball speculates it'll have a physical ESC key:  https://daringfireball.net/linked/2019/10/18/macbook-pro-16
    That would indeed be most useful if it is actually there.  As for this Mac Book I’m not certain I will be interested.   I’ve lost faith in Apples hardware quality, the extremely poor service I got from them for a repair and their unwillingness to turn away from China.  All of this adds up to me asking is Apple worth it anymore.  

It will be interesting to see if this new Laptop changes my mind.  The sad reality is that I can get much better performance out of Linux based solutions these days.   That says a lot because for years Linux was crap on laptops.  
    bigpics