Apple Pay overtakes Starbucks for in-store mobile payments

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    lkrupp said:
    chaicka said:
    Guess the Americans should travel to China and other parts of Asia where mobile payment is a norm.
    Americans have been historically opposed to change of any kind. Some retailers in my area still require you to swipe your credit card and have taped over the slot for inserting the chip side. NFC is anathema to them. Customers, especially older ones, think Apple Pay is a gimmick designed to steal their money. 
    Glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

I'm a geezer who would prefer to use Apple Pay for anything I purchase in a physical store. I sincerely feel that Apple Pay is the best new technology Apple has introduced since the original iPhone.
    AppleExposedlkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 29

JFC_PA said:

[snip]

Public transportation systems are mostly recent in either planning (Phila) or implementing (NYC, D. C. has for a few years) contactless. 

The DC Metro uses contactless SmarTrip cards, but does not even accept Apple Pay for purchasing those cards or adding fare to existing ones.

See: https://www.apple.com/apple-pay/where-to-use/ , about 3/4 of the way down, for the US transit systems and apps where Apple Pay can be used.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 29
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    crowley said:
    How do Starbucks payments work, does the app display a barcode or QR code or something?
    To add to that question, if someone had a compatible iPhone why would they use the Starbucks app at Starbucks when they could use Apple Pay instead? Is it easier? I don't know but doesn't using the app require that you "reload" the virtual card every so often?

lkrupp said:
    chaicka said:
    Guess the Americans should travel to China and other parts of Asia where mobile payment is a norm.
    Customers, especially older ones, think Apple Pay is a gimmick designed to steal their money. 
    I can't tell you how many people have told me they thought using Apple Pay would require them to pay more for whatever they were buying. The other excuse I have heard against using Apple Pay is that it's "too easy" and would thus lead the user to spend more money.
    To answer, the app displays a barcode, yes. And the have special scanners that make it quite easy, but the main reason I use it is that they don’t accept Apple Pay in the store. They do through the app, though. So I load my Starbucks card with Apple Pay, and use it in the store. 
    I've used ApplePay in multiple Starbucks stores across the US for years. You need to use a different pay terminal device (different from the scanner used by the Starbucks app). I've even successfully used ApplePay in a Starbucks in Taiwan.

Clarification: I do not have the Starbucks app; I pay directly via ApplePay.
    edited October 2019 stompywatto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 29
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    Not sure if I should be amazed that Starbucks has achieved more market penetration that Google/Samsung or embarrassed for Goog/Sammy.

On another note, Apple should make a deal with Starbucks and allow their rewards via Apple Pay. Take their marketshare and handle Starbucks mobile development for free.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 29
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    razorpit said:
    I think Apple has in a way botched this launch. Yes it is becoming available in more areas. Yes it is my preferred method of payment. But I can’t tell you how many times I ask if a business takes ApplePay and I get the deer in the headlights stare.
    Well if Apple botched it then so did Google and Samsung. NFC is NFC is NFC. It has nothing to do with Apple Pay and the others, and everything to do with retailers not wanting to change as well as poor training of frontline sales clerks. Almost all of my bad experiences with Apple Pay have been because of the clerk in front of me not knowing what the hell was happening. They often look amazed the sale went through. I’ve also been told by a few clerks that only Samsung Pay works. That, of course, is because Samsung Pay can mimic a credit card swipe, has nothing to do with NFC, and is not as secure as a real NFC transaction.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    lkrupp said:
    chaicka said:
    Americans have been historically opposed to change of any kind. Some retailers in my area still require you to swipe your credit card and have taped over the slot for inserting the chip side. NFC is anathema to them. Customers, especially older ones, think Apple Pay is a gimmick designed to steal their money. 
    Americans love their untraceable/untrackable cash.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 29
    Meanwhile in China… almost no NFC-terminals anywhere. Have to unlock phone, open app, scan a QR code everywhere. A pain compared to Apple Pay.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    razorpit said:
    I think Apple has in a way botched this launch. Yes it is becoming available in more areas. Yes it is my preferred method of payment. But I can’t tell you how many times I ask if a business takes ApplePay and I get the deer in the headlights stare.

crowley said:
    How do Starbucks payments work, does the app display a barcode or QR code or something?
    To add to that question, if someone had a compatible iPhone why would they use the Starbucks app at Starbucks when they could use Apple Pay instead? Is it easier? I don't know but doesn't using the app require that you "reload" the virtual card every so often?

lkrupp said:
    chaicka said:
    Customers, especially older ones, think Apple Pay is a gimmick designed to steal their money. 
    I can't tell you how many people have told me they thought using Apple Pay would require them to pay more for whatever they were buying. The other excuse I have heard against using Apple Pay is that it's "too easy" and would thus lead the user to spend more money.
    To answer, the app displays a barcode, yes. And the have special scanners that make it quite easy, but the main reason I use it is that they don’t accept Apple Pay in the store. They do through the app, though. So I load my Starbucks card with Apple Pay, and use it in the store. 
    They absolutely accept Apple Pay in the store. You just don't get rewards credit as it doesn't tie in with your rewards account.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 29
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    razorpit said:
    Nothing to do with Apple at all. Issue is with merchants and the back office providers not supporting or training employees to accept electronic (cardless) payments of any sort. Never, ever once has Apple Pay not worked for me when another electronic payment did work.
    watto_cobra