Apple's Tile-like tracking device named 'AirTag' in iOS 13.2

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Code within the new iOS 13.2 release includes the name 'AirTag' for Apple's rumored tracking devices, which are expected to be locatable through the Find My app.

Apple's Find My app is to be extended to include tracking AirTags
Apple's Find My app is to be extended to include tracking AirTags

Changes within the latest iOS 13.2 release include a folder whose name appears to say that Apple will call its forthcoming tracking devices "AirTags." The Tile-like devices are intended to help users locate missing items using Apple's Find My app.

The folder within iOS 13.2 is a container for assets including images and videos. While the folder itself is called AirTag1-1-CL-0.devicebundle, the current contents consist solely of item such as HomePod images.

According to 9to5mac, the contents do include a video asset named "BatterySwap." This at least implies that AirTags will have a replaceable battery.

The fact that the folder is included in the current release of iOS 13.2 suggests that AirTags could be coming soon, but it is not proof that they will. Back in September, the usually reliable analyst Ming-Chi Kuo believed they would be released imminently.

The AirTag folder contents within iOS 13.2 (Source: 9to5mac)
The AirTag folder contents within iOS 13.2 (Source: 9to5mac)

The new discovery backs up a previous report of iOS code containing a device named "Tag1,1" within a beta of Find My. The name and two-digit suffix fits Apple's typical internal hardware naming scheme.

Previously, it's been speculated that the motion coprocessor in the 2019 iPhone range will be used to help utilize the Tile-like tracker.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 31
    I wonder how expensive these tiles will be; I bet it'll be a subscription of sorts.
  • Reply 2 of 31
    gutengel said:
    I wonder how expensive these tiles will be; I bet it'll be a subscription of sorts.
    Good question.  I doubt the "subscription" part though.

From an earlier AI article we can get a sense of the market price for these types of things:

Tile Stickers run $39.99 for a two-pack and $59.99 for a four-pack. Tile Slim will run $29.99, the Tile Mate comes in at $24.99, while the Tile Pro is $10 more at $34.99. Multi-packs are available as well such as two Tile Stickers, a Tile Slim, and a Tile Mate for $69.99, a four-pack of Pros for $99.99, a four-pack of Mates for $69.99, or two Mates/two Slims for $74.99.

That pricing is about what I'd expect.  Hopefully it will be on the lower end.  Now I just have to figure out what I'd actually want to stick them on.  I always hang my car keys up and carry my phone with me.  My remotes don't sneak off.  Oh, maybe my car?

razorpitlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 31
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    They should integrate this into Maps also. Parents would appreciate seeing their kids walk to school, etc.
  • Reply 4 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    They should integrate this into Maps also. Parents would appreciate seeing their kids walk to school, etc.
    Some will like knowing where their "significants" are. :)
    cy_starkman
  • Reply 5 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Have you never used Find My Friends?
    randominternetpersonairnerdlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 31
    They just need to bring it out so I can buy it. 
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gutengel said:

From an earlier AI article we can get a sense of the market price for these types of things:

Tile Stickers run $39.99 for a two-pack and $59.99 for a four-pack. Tile Slim will run $29.99, the Tile Mate comes in at $24.99, while the Tile Pro is $10 more at $34.99. Multi-packs are available as well such as two Tile Stickers, a Tile Slim, and a Tile Mate for $69.99, a four-pack of Pros for $99.99, a four-pack of Mates for $69.99, or two Mates/two Slims for $74.99.

That pricing is about what I'd expect.  Hopefully it will be on the lower end.  Now I just have to figure out what I'd actually want to stick them on.  I always hang my car keys up and carry my phone with me.  My remotes don't sneak off.  Oh, maybe my car?

Have them inserted in your children.
    StrangeDayshmurchisonairnerdlolliver
  • Reply 8 of 31
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I have to say that I love my Tile Pro and Slim devices so Apple will have to do me one better to really get my attention. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 31
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Pretty cool it’s a replaceable battery 
    airnerdlolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 31
    This company owns the AirTag.com domain name, so Apple will have to make a deal with these guys:  https://www.idemia.com/
  • Reply 11 of 31
    "...  Now I just have to figure out what I'd actually want to stick them on.  I always hang my car keys up and carry my phone with me.  My remotes don't sneak off.  Oh, maybe my car?..."

I've used Tile since it came out and it's been a lifesaver. Dropped my keys at a farmers market and only realized it when I got to my car. Went on my iPhone and tracked tile as it showed my route, which I retraced a half-block to store where owner was standing in door with my keys.  The beeps helped locate keys buried under papers, clothes and normal kid things. No battery, about two year + life.
    They have a new button sized stick-on ersion, good for me for sunglasses at the beach, which I lose consistently. 

randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 31
    I bet they come out this week without a press event.  Apple released new or updated products earlier this year, Monday - Thursday.  And since the AirPod Pros came out today without an event, I bet they release “Air Tags” one day this week.

Just a hypothesis.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 31
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I bet they come out this week without a press event.  Apple released new or updated products earlier this year, Monday - Thursday.  And since the AirPod Pros came out today without an event, I bet they release “Air Tags” one day this week.

Just a hypothesis.
    Since it's a new product category for Apple I'd expect an event (which doesn't seem likely now), but being in iOS 13.2 definitely seems like it's going to drop shortly. The only other reason I can think for putting it in a shipping version of iOS without being ready to launch them is because they want to test them using the crowd-sourcing feature—which is now used for major Apple gear in the Find My app. Meaning, if they just did testing with a handful of engineers using an Apple device with a specialized internal beta they wouldn't get much useful data about how well AirTags work or any issues that would need to be resolved for a global scale release.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 31
    I hope they drop soon - all my Tiles have now died. Either I get the AirTags or more Tiles. I use them to find my keys when I put them somewhere random lol
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 31
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    This company owns the AirTag.com domain name, so Apple will have to make a deal with these guys:  https://www.idemia.com/
    AirTag in that case is a company name rather than a product.

Apple doesn't own airpods.com or ipad.com either.
    edited October 2019 StrangeDayslukeilolliver
  • Reply 16 of 31
    gutengel said:
    @gutengel ;

i doubt from apple’s viewpoint they need to sub you in to make the monies. this is simply leveraging the existing find my service and will make users even more integrated with Apple, ensuring recurring purchases.

simply said, does apple need to make you sub to a tile when it is making you sub to recurring iphones and macs. we will lose the tiles over time, that will be sub enough.
    lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 31
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,571member
    Apple couldn't get hold of the trademark iTV so they went with Apple TV and it worked out fine.

Apple couldn't get hold of the trademark iPhone but they settled with the trademark holder.

They might make an offer to the AirTag domain holder or trademark holder. But they don't need it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 31
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Soli said:
    gutengel said:

Joking aside, if Apple ever comes out with a subcutaneous version I'd be all for that!  After all, Apple now is heavily into the medical side of things, why not?  
    edited October 2019 lolliverwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 31
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    MacPro said:
    Soli said:
    gutengel said:

Joking aside, if Apple ever comes out with a subcutaneous version I'd be all for that!  After all, Apple now is heavily into the medical side of things, why not?  
    True...
    We're getting old enough our families can never be sure we haven't wandered off. :)

On a more serious note I can see in the relatively near future where kids would be tagged at birth, health monitored as well as tracking their personal when and where's.
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 20 of 31
    Can the Air Tags get a radar like display on my watch that shows the relative location of the tag?  I could imagine some pretty cool games to play with my son doing a "treasure hunt" if he has to use the watch to find the tag.  

Yeah, I'm a big kid...always looking with how to have fun with tech.  :)

lolliverwatto_cobra