Retroactive brings Aperture, iPhoto, iTunes back in macOS Catalina

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    ralphie said:
    Kudos to him!  Incredible piece of work.  Thankfully there are still smarter people outside of Apple than inside.
    Wait, what? So because Apple made a cognitive decision to migrate a very complex operating system to 64-bit only, and it upsets some people using obsolete software, that makes them not smart? That...that doesn’t make any sense.

Sorry the world doesn’t give you everything you want for reasons you’re not even aware of. Prepare yourself for a lifetime of disappointment. 
    The problem with your comment is that iTunes is not obsolete software.  It is 64-bit and currently updated by Apple, even today, for Windows.  Apple intentionally disabled it for their ridiculous stripped down versions of Music, TV, and Podcast apps.  Music has gotten better with Big Sur, having more iTunes features restored.  But the TV and Podcast apps are a complete joke.  The TV app has a stripped down version of the Store where you cannot find or buy movie bundles, box sets, or complete TV series.  The Podcast app does not even let you import your existing Podcast library from iTunes.

I just found this software from the iTunes Wikipedia page and re-installed iTunes 12.9 in Big Sur so I can access the full TV and Movies Store on the Mac and not have to resort to iOS or AppleTV to find items on sale to buy (or have to run Mojave as a VM).
  • Reply 22 of 25
    I have bought a second back-up older iMac specifically to run Aperture on El Capitan but now have a newer iMac running 11.5 which is great for Photoshop editing. Does anyone know if Aperture will work on 11.5 with Retroactive?
    rundhvid
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    kevthewev said:
    I have bought a second back-up older iMac specifically to run Aperture on El Capitan but now have a newer iMac running 11.5 which is great for Photoshop editing. Does anyone know if Aperture will work on 11.5 with Retroactive?
    No idea. This article is two years old.
  • Reply 24 of 25
    kevthewev said:
    No idea. This article is two years old.
    It does* on my Mac mini M1 👍

*Aperture seems a bit iffy when scrolling through a grid, which stalls rendering of thumbnails.
    And Aperture crashes periodically, although nothing that corrupts the database. Backup and restoration to/from Vault works fine.
  • Reply 25 of 25
    Does Retroactive work on Ventura ?