macOS Catalina 10.15.1 is now available with opt-in Siri review, support for AirPods Pro

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 44
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 5,619member
    Downloaded and installed.  So far so good.  Putting it through the wringer and everything is running fine. 
    caladanianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,151member
    I wonder if they fixed the incredibly buggy Finder in 10.15.0. It's completely unusable.
    You know, when you post something like that people kind of chuckle and snicker. If it’s "completely unusable“ then how in the world are you managing to use your Mac at all?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 44
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 9,151member
    sflocal said:
    Downloaded and installed.  So far so good.  Putting it through the wringer and everything is running fine. 
    I think that’s the case for most users. The internet always exaggerates the negative and people with issues are quick to complain and condemn loudly on tech blog comment sections. If you’ve been around long enough you know that every version of Mac OS, starting  before and with 10.0 Cheetah has been solemnly declared to be the worst software ever foisted on users by Apple. It’s like death and taxes, you know it’s coming.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 44
    I must be the timing or whatever server you’ve been connected to. My download took around 20 minutes
    mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 44
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,028member
    lkrupp said:
    I wonder if they fixed the incredibly buggy Finder in 10.15.0. It's completely unusable.
    You know, when you post something like that people kind of chuckle and snicker. If it’s "completely unusable“ then how in the world are you managing to use your Mac at all?
    Right?! If something is completely unusable you'd expect some additional information. If "it's" refers to Catalina then I'd expect something to back that up (see anecdote below) or if "it's" refers to just Finder I'd expect to see some workaround, like using Terminal, a 3rd-party file system app, or some other method to get around not having a usable Finder app.

    Over the weekend I deleted some files pertaining to TeamViewer on my 2013 MBP with 16 GiB RAM (which I'm now using as a headless Mac to replace my aging Mac mini with only 4 GiB RAM). Whatever I deleted ended causing an issue which is not allowing macOS to get to a login window, even when holding down Shift to get into Safe Mode, or after reinstalling macOS after using Command-R. That Mac is now completely unusable as my headless Mac. If I can't find another solution I'll see if the Apple Genius Bar can resolve the issue.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 26 of 44
    Installed in about an hour, is working fine. What am I doing wrong, guys?? Should I re-install? /s
    edited October 2019 mwhitewatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 44
    I would recommend waiting.  I have two desktops here, both are having problems.  I'm writing this on my laptop since I cannot connect to the internet on either either of the two desktops.  I first updated my iMac Pro, did a quick check everything seemed ok.  Then silly me I updated my wife's 21" iMac. Came back to my iMac Pro and discovered I could no longer connect to the internet.  It really spotty, you may connect to the first web site, then when trying to go to another one it just stalls.  Watching the network traffic for safari it just stops.  I tried switching to Firefox with the same results.  Neither Safari, or Firefox will connect to local admin web pages on my router or NAS units.  I can connect to the shares on then NAS units over the Ethernet cable.  Another item that seems odd is if I have my second 27" monitor connected to my iMac Pro on a restart both monitors are set to maximum brightness a bit blinding.  I have to go to the display preference and turn them down to a normal setting.  I can see how this is going.  My wife has been overseas for the last 4 weeks.  I'm picking her up at the airport tomorrow.  I can hear the conversation now "Hi dear welcome home by the way I bricked your computer last night."

    Mike
    AlexNCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 44
    Wow! Aperture-style controls in Photos. That's great.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 44
    ... in sync with other recent announcements might it be time for a more bare bones and bulletproof macOS Pro install option...?
  • Reply 30 of 44
    mdirvin said:
    I would recommend waiting.  I have two desktops here, both are having problems.  I'm writing this on my laptop since I cannot connect to the internet on either either of the two desktops.  I first updated my iMac Pro, did a quick check everything seemed ok.  Then silly me I updated my wife's 21" iMac. Came back to my iMac Pro and discovered I could no longer connect to the internet.  It really spotty, you may connect to the first web site, then when trying to go to another one it just stalls.  Watching the network traffic for safari it just stops.  I tried switching to Firefox with the same results.  Neither Safari, or Firefox will connect to local admin web pages on my router or NAS units.  I can connect to the shares on then NAS units over the Ethernet cable.  Another item that seems odd is if I have my second 27" monitor connected to my iMac Pro on a restart both monitors are set to maximum brightness a bit blinding.  I have to go to the display preference and turn them down to a normal setting.  I can see how this is going.  My wife has been overseas for the last 4 weeks.  I'm picking her up at the airport tomorrow.  I can hear the conversation now "Hi dear welcome home by the way I bricked your computer last night."

    Mike

    I have the exact same Internet issue on my MacBook Pro 2018 after updating it to MacOS Catalina 10.15.1!

    Anyone else?
  • Reply 31 of 44
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 262member
    For those who are having problems didn't you backup your computer before installing the update?
    I did the update and have had no problems what so ever but I did back it up first.....
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 44
    I haven’t, my bad!
    I’m preparing for a clean install of MacOS...
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 33 of 44
    mwhite said:
    For those who are having problems didn't you backup your computer before installing the update?
    I did the update and have had no problems what so ever but I did back it up first.....
    Of course it backed up, several time over with off site backups.  The problem is not data loss, but network connections. Yes I do have a bootable external HD where I can wipe my HD and reinstall 10.15. That is a PITA.  I have to deactivate software, format, install the OS, reinstall the software, active it.  Then set up everything from scratch. Not tomorrow I'm busy with other things.  If its not fixed by Thursday then that's how I'll end up spending my day.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    Multiple kernel panics, possibly bluetooth related, on my 2015 iMac since updating to 10.15.1.

    Combined with all the Music and TV app usability and USB syncing issues, it's time to roll back to Mojave.

    Wish I could revert my iPhone X back to iOS 12.2 as well.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    JanNL said:
    Better to wait a few days before updating?  ;)
    Even better, if you're on Mojave like me, wait for 10.15.2. I seriously doubt this has addressed all the instability issues of Catalina. No problem though, I'll continue to wait...
  • Reply 36 of 44
    trydtryd Posts: 142member
    Have they fixed the navigation problems in Music?
    edited October 2019
  • Reply 37 of 44
    dewmedewme Posts: 3,620member
    So far, after 2 installations of build 10.15.1 I am rather impressed. Everything about the install went well and no issues around my Music content or iCloud account. However, I do suspect there is a memory leak in there somewhere because I accidentally clicked on Download for my All Music smart playlist in Music, which kicked off a 100+ GB download of all my Music on my 2013 MacBook Pro, when I opened the machine in the morning there was an error saying I had exhausted all of my Application Memory. But - the download worked and everything was there from what I can tell. The system seemed stable but I rebooted anyway. So far, nothing obvious is wrong. The machines with 10.15.1 seem rather snappy and no problems at all with networking. All the little nits that were plaguing me in Music and Books are now resolved. If the first install of Catalina had put me where I'm at now I would have been thrilled, and it would have been worthy of at least a golf clap. I'm still guarded about Catalina but my optimism is improving.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 44
    Soli said:
    Over the weekend I deleted some files pertaining to TeamViewer on my 2013 MBP with 16 GiB RAM (which I'm now using as a headless Mac to replace my aging Mac mini with only 4 GiB RAM). Whatever I deleted ended causing an issue which is not allowing macOS to get to a login window, even when holding down Shift to get into Safe Mode, or after reinstalling macOS after using Command-R. That Mac is now completely unusable as my headless Mac. If I can't find another solution I'll see if the Apple Genius Bar can resolve the issue.
    Yeah, sometimes the Cmd-R won't even work. But...booting from a USB stick does work for a clean install. Although you wrote headless...is the screen kaput?
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

    watto_cobra
  • Reply 39 of 44
    JanNL said:
    Better to wait a few days before updating?  ;)
    Yeah, I'll probably update tomorrow just to be on the safe side.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 40 of 44
    AlexNC said:
    mdirvin said:
    I would recommend waiting.  I have two desktops here, both are having problems.  I'm writing this on my laptop since I cannot connect to the internet on either either of the two desktops.  I first updated my iMac Pro, did a quick check everything seemed ok.  Then silly me I updated my wife's 21" iMac. Came back to my iMac Pro and discovered I could no longer connect to the internet.  It really spotty, you may connect to the first web site, then when trying to go to another one it just stalls.  Watching the network traffic for safari it just stops.  I tried switching to Firefox with the same results.  Neither Safari, or Firefox will connect to local admin web pages on my router or NAS units.  I can connect to the shares on then NAS units over the Ethernet cable.  Another item that seems odd is if I have my second 27" monitor connected to my iMac Pro on a restart both monitors are set to maximum brightness a bit blinding.  I have to go to the display preference and turn them down to a normal setting.  I can see how this is going.  My wife has been overseas for the last 4 weeks.  I'm picking her up at the airport tomorrow.  I can hear the conversation now "Hi dear welcome home by the way I bricked your computer last night."

    Mike

    I have the exact same Internet issue on my MacBook Pro 2018 after updating it to MacOS Catalina 10.15.1!

    Anyone else?
    I have the same issue with my 2019 iMac 27 inch. (Core i5, 1 TB SSD, Radeon Pro Vega 48.) Safari and Firefox are glacial, can’t connect to some sites at all. Mail can’t connect to servers more than half the time. Eero router says everything is fine. Am re-installing OS from recovery partition as I write this. After the HomePods mess yesterday, I’m ready to throw in the towel. First time since the OS X first release that I’ve had this much aggravation with a Mac OS update. I hope somebody figures this out soon.
Sign In or Register to comment.