Apple gets FCC approval for Mac Pro, release imminent

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,936member
    Wgkrueger said:
    davgreg said:
    Many people don't seem to realize how good the standard 5K iMacs are now. Those machines will run the majority of what is commonly considered to be "pro software" without breaking a sweat. iMac Pro and Mac Pro are for workflows that require maximum brute force. 
    If you buy any version of the iMac you are buying planned obsolescence and no real upgrade path. I would rather buy a unit less frequently and update it rather than Apple’s throwaway model. The dirty truth is most Macs are not recycled- they end up as e-waste just like a Dell.

I will take internal expansion and a discrete display over the all in one consumer model any day.
    Just to set the record straight, you are manufacturing BS. I’ve got a 2011 iMac still running. Apple takes in and recycles their hardware. I expect my new generation iMacs to run for many many years. 

As far as upgradability, i found that when I wanted to upgrade my home built machines the newer cpus were not compatible and memory had advanced to where they wouldn’t fit my motherboard.
    Agreed. After decades of DIY boxes I switched to AIO iMacs. My 2011 lasted until 2019 — eight years is awesome longevity, by that point even the display was outdated. Apple happily accepted it for recycling.

This guy is an apparent axe-grinder, I blocked him long ago. 
    roundaboutnowfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 27
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,936member
    lkrupp said:
    How about a late 2019 iMac 5K refresh? 
    While it’s still late 2019? What would they call it, the even later 2019 iMac?
    roundaboutnowwatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 27
    YP101YP101 Posts: 162member
    I would like to see new iMac Pro redesign case as Pro display XDR.
    Lots of hole in back side provide better cooling and 32 inch 5K display.
    iMac can be remain 5K 27inch.

If Apple redesign iMac Pro case with little thicker case can provide user upgrade ability. RAM, CPU, SSD.
    Maybe Apple can add discrete graphic card as well.

Apple should design PRO machine like PRO in mind, not just price hike.
    cornchip
  • Reply 24 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,444member
    dysamoria said:
    This matters not at all to me because Apple has decided I’m no longer part of the market for their workstations.
    You never were. 
    Solichiawatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 27
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,039member
    Agreed. After decades of DIY boxes I switched to AIO iMacs. My 2011 lasted until 2019 — eight years is awesome longevity, by that point even the display was outdated. Apple happily accepted it for recycling.

Axe Grinder? 
    Most Apple desktops and laptops are not returned to Apple and end up as e-waste.

My point regarding upgradeability was that my 2010 Mac Pro was able to keep up with things like USB 3 and better graphics because of the internal expansion. An all in one either cannot be upgraded or requires an expensive external box and jumble of cables. When the power supply died, I was able to easily replace it. If I wanted to upgrade the CPU, OWC has swap out kits that can upgrade in mere minutes. Adding memory, BluRay drives, SSDs and such did not take an arduous process like the iMac Pro.

That is not axe grinding- that is the simple truth.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,444member
    davgreg said:

Axe Grinder? 
    Most Apple desktops and laptops are not returned to Apple and end up as e-waste.

My point regarding upgradeability was that my 2010 Mac Pro was able to keep up with things like USB 3 and better graphics because of the internal expansion. An all in one either cannot be upgraded or requires an expensive external box and jumble of cables. When the power supply died, I was able to easily replace it. If I wanted to upgrade the CPU, OWC has swap out kits that can upgrade in mere minutes. Adding memory, BluRay drives, SSDs and such did not take an arduous process like the iMac Pro.

That is not axe grinding- that is the simple truth.
    Steps to add a BluRay drive (why though) or SSD:

1) Buy one 
    2) Plug it in

There’s a reason people don’t take these kinds of complaints seriously. 
    Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 27
    YP101 said:
    I would like to see new iMac Pro redesign case as Pro display XDR.
    Lots of hole in back side provide better cooling and 32 inch 5K display.
    iMac can be remain 5K 27inch.

If Apple redesign iMac Pro case with little thicker case can provide user upgrade ability. RAM, CPU, SSD.
    Maybe Apple can add discrete graphic card as well.

Apple should design PRO machine like PRO in mind, not just price hike.
    Weird criticisms. This new machine is a beast and would shred nearly anything you can throw at it.
    watto_cobra