13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    sirozha said:
    crosslad said:
    sirozha said:
    ralphie said:
    I can't wait for the asshats to come here that think the iPad is a personal computer.
    I will consider the iPad a personal computer when Apple starts supporting a mouse and a trackpad with it. 
    Guess you consider it a personal computer then, because it does have mouse support now. 
    Does every iPad support it? Does the iPad support the trackpad? 
    Yes, and yes.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    I’ll consider it a computer when it can run World of Warcraft in  4K ultra settings on a large display with a gaming keyboard and mouse. 

When it supports Xcode. 

When it has native, numerous usb-c ports

When I’m able to diagnose and repair external media and devices

And there’s more...

Everybody has their own potential criteria which shows the limitations of the iPad vs a full fledge desktop/laptop. 

I love LOVE my iPad Pro and I use it extensively daily and it has the ability to mimic some (not all) of my desktop and laptop use cases. But there are numerous use cases where I have to switch to my desktop or laptop. 

I find trying to lump in the iPad with traditional computers misleading and disingenuous to try to declare it some type of misplaced winner in PC market share. 

The potential is there, but there is no way an iPad could replace my desktop or laptop......yet. 
    Based on Xcode alone, the entire Windows PC industry doesn't count as a computer, then. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 50
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Can we quit with all the petty snark?  It's pretty obvious what people mean.
  • Reply 44 of 50
    For all of you that are arguing that the iPad is a PC, what is your excuse for not also counting the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Apple TV as "computers" too?  Every argument you're making applies to a very wide variety of devices across manufacturers, it becomes a slippery slope.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 45 of 50
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    For all of you that are arguing that the iPad is a PC, what is your excuse for not also counting the iPhone, iPod Touch, and Apple TV as "computers" too?  Every argument you're making applies to a very wide variety of devices across manufacturers, it becomes a slippery slope.
    My son-in-law is a new fan of a $35 computer he picked up, the Raspberry Pi, after a friend told him some of the fun projects he using them for. So yeah, "computer" is an extremely broad category.  Those Pi's, flash drives w/full OS'es, Micro Motes, automotive ECM/PCM's, desktop, smartphone, tablet, laptop, Chromebooks, etc are not all equally capable or adaptable nor are they intended to be.

So much stuff can be called "a computer" that the term itself is not terribly useful for determining fit for purpose. Personally I don't care how broadly someone wants to define a market segment, or why they do it. It doesn't make everything in it a match for MY computer needs and that's all that matters. 
    edited November 2019 muthuk_vanalingamwatto_cobra
  • Reply 46 of 50
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Do you know how much it matters if an individual considers an iPad or an iPhone to be a computer?  It doesn't.  Not at all.

Slippery slope :D 

• Reply 47 of 50
    peteopeteo Posts: 402member
    The never-PCers are too funny. Always new mental gymnastics to square the circle. 

I guess we’d have to insert the iPad into a boxy beige stand, place it on a desk, and connect a dummy cable from the wireless keyboard to the box stand, and live in the 1980s, for them to consider it a PC. 

Whacky logic, fellas. 
    If you are using your logic then all iPhones are also computers. They have the same internals as iPads, the os is 99% the same.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 50
    Phone sales may have some impact on PC demand, but it’s pretty clear that virtually every tablet sold kills a PC sale. Look at PC sales data next to the timeline of iPad sales [...]
    Past tense might be a better choice. Hasn’t the iPad sunk the netbook revolution at this point?

If a Chromebook is a PC then an iPad is a PC.
  • Reply 49 of 50
    peteo said:
    The never-PCers are too funny. Always new mental gymnastics to square the circle. 

I guess we’d have to insert the iPad into a boxy beige stand, place it on a desk, and connect a dummy cable from the wireless keyboard to the box stand, and live in the 1980s, for them to consider it a PC. 

Whacky logic, fellas. 
    If you are using your logic then all iPhones are also computers. They have the same internals as iPads, the os is 99% the same.
    It’s more about how people use them, and where people use them. I’m typing this short comment on an iPhone. But if I needed to edit a spreadsheet or write something, I wouldn’t do it on here even though I could. I’m not a masochist. I’d pull out my iPad, or I might go onto a Mac. Sitting on a train or a plane, it would be the iPad. At home, it could be either iPad or Mac, but never the iPhone.
    edited November 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 50 of 50
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    sflocal said:
    ralphie said:
    I can't wait for the asshats to come here that think the iPad is a personal computer.
    Your ignorance shows again.

Who are you to say an iPad isn't?  It may not do what you want it to do, but it certainly does the job for many others.  Are you one of "those people" that think and iPad is not a computer because it doesn't have user-accessible file-system?

Please... tell us so, simply to confirm the narrative about you.

What's strange is he italicized the word "personal" when iPad is much more personal that both a desktop and laptop.