Mac Pro to ship with silver and black keyboard, Magic Trackpad

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2019
In a move reminiscent of the iMac Pro, owners of the new Mac Pro will be able to use a new color option of accessories with the workstation, with new images pulled from macOS revealing the peripherals.

An image from the launch of the Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR, which includes the new accessories nearby.
An image from the launch of the Mac Pro and Pro Display XDR, which includes the new accessories nearby.

An image found by developer Steve Troughton-Smith and published to Twitter reveals a total of three accessories for the new Mac Pro model. Troughton claims the accessories in the image are meant for the Mac Pro, but does not advise of whether they will be limited in availability or offered to all users.

The image depicts two keyboards, one with and one without the number pad, equipped with a light silver metal construction and black keys. As part of the same image is a Magic Trackpad 2, which again uses a light silver-colored metal enclosure, but with a black top layer.

I somehow missed the fact that the new Mac Pro has a line of silver and black accessories instead of the Space Gray of the iMac Pro pic.twitter.com/i8GkDv8Kut

-- Steve Troughton-Smith (@stroughtonsmith)

Given Troughton-Smith's track record of finding details in Apple's software, including images, it is quite likely that the image depicts real products Apple will be shipping.

The surfacing of Troughton-Smith's discovery raises the fact that these accessories were seen before, but underreported at the time of the Mac Pro Launch in June. The Mighty Mouse, keyboard, and Magic Trackpad were on full display near to the Mac Pro and the Pro Display XDR at Apple's event.

The production of accessories with a different color scheme to what is normally available for specific hardware is something Apple has pulled before, namely for the iMac Pro. For that model of Mac, Apple provided a Space Gray version of the Magic Keyboard, Magic Mouse 2, and Magic TrackPad that could only be bought at the time of the original purchase or as a service replacement, though four months later they were available on general sale.

It is likely that Apple will make a similar move to limit the availability of the color combination just to those buying the Mac Pro, though again the company can easily make it more widely available to other consumers without paying for the workstation down the line.

Apple is tipped to be imminently releasing the new Mac Pro, starting from $5,999.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 32
    This really makes little to no difference for people who are buying or considering buying this workstation.  We need to see BTO pricing options.
    Majuscy_starkmand_2OkiRun
  • Reply 2 of 32
    I wish all macs (really just the iMac Pro now) offered a clear (anodized?) option for sustainability, aesthetic coordination and to minimize physical damage visibility through any coloration...
  • Reply 3 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    bsbeamer said:
    This really makes little to no difference for people who are buying or considering buying this workstation.  We need to see BTO pricing options.
    Which won’t happen unless and until the rumored machine is announced. Remember, it’s all rumor at this point. 

UPDATE: I’m a moron, but then you all know that already. Mac Pro, not the rumored 16” MacBook Pro.
    edited October 2019 OkiRunwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 32
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    lkrupp said:
    bsbeamer said:
    Which won’t happen unless and until the rumored machine is announced. Remember, it’s all rumor at this point. 
    Lol what? The Mac Pro is a rumor again?
    StrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 32
    I just need the pricing structure. I’m hoping the fully loaded 28-core won’t cost more than my car. I can get a keyboard on eBay, but buying this beast will take planning.
    OkiRunwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    lkrupp said:
    bsbeamer said:
    You do know this machine has been officially announced by Apple and is even on their website, right?
    fastasleepStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 32
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:
    bsbeamer said:
    You do know this machine has been officially announced by Apple and is even on their website, right?
    You got me. I was thinking about the rumored 16” MacBook Pro and this article is about the officially announced the Mac Pro. All this Pro stuff has become confusing. But yeah, I’m an idiot on this one.
    fastasleepwatto_cobragatorguy
  • Reply 8 of 32
    I just need the pricing structure. I’m hoping the fully loaded 28-core won’t cost more than my car. I can get a keyboard on eBay, but buying this beast will take planning.
    Depends on what kind of car you’re driving and if you’re in the kind of profession that needs this much horsepower, you’ll be making that money back in short order.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 32
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,020member
    lkrupp said:
    JinTech said:
    lkrupp said:
    bsbeamer said:
    You got me. I was thinking about the rumored 16” MacBook Pro and this article is about the officially announced the Mac Pro. All this Pro stuff has become confusing. But yeah, I’m an idiot on this one.
    Okay I was going to say, I know you know this haha You're not an idiot, easy to get confused!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 32
    And now we know that Jony is gone - entirely too busy looking.
  • Reply 11 of 32
    Holy crap! I want that black and silver keyboard damnit! It would actually match my MacBook Pro and Thunderbolt Monitors! Now maybe we can get a black Apple Pencil?!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 32
    draenar said:
    Wut... You do know the MP has been in development for years, right?
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 32
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I think the Black on Silver keyboard looks better than the usual Apple white on silver keyboard which is kind of boring these days, but I think that the Magic keyboard in Space Grey is the best looking of all, imo, but it's all a matter of taste. It's not like any of them functions better than the others.
    edited October 2019 watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 14 of 32
    draenar said:
    OMG the "Obviously Jony is gone because..." are the new "Steve Jobs would never let this happen" posts!
    Japheywatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 32

apple ][ said:
    I think the Black on Silver keyboard looks better than the usual Apple white on silver keyboard which is kind of boring these days, but I think that the Magic keyboard in Space Grey is the best looking of all, imo, but it's all a matter of taste. It's not like any of them functions better than the others.
    Agreed, though I'd want to see these in person to be sure. I really like the look of the Space Grey keyboard/mouse.
    watto_cobracgWerks
  • Reply 16 of 32
    draenar said:
    That's like saying that the silver MacBook Pros look too busy. It's just silver and black, it looks like it matches the monitors. Frankly the whole white keyboard with silver and black computer thing was a much weirder look.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 32
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Screw the colour options; I just want a wired keyboard.
  • Reply 18 of 32
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    draenar said:
    OMG the "Obviously Jony is gone because..." are the new "Steve Jobs would never let this happen" posts!
    Haha, you took the words right out my mouth.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 32
    I would love a back lit keyboard.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 32
    Wow! I think this what is wrong with Apple, People excited about a color change of a Keyboard...Really ? Emoji, memoji... wow! innovations! AppleTv+, New Apple watch bracelet woohoo ! Apple Credit Card, Magic mouse 2 can't use it while charging ? I just change the batteries in mine. I just want a Mac Pro, like the hackintosh I'm using. Full featured, all the ports I want, upgradeable. Instead they are focussing on trivial shit, all the time.  Catalina, yeah, take away all my investments in 32bit softwares over the years my openGL games  and dumb down my mac to an Ipad level please ! Woohoo!