Apple's AirPods versus AirPods Pro - which is the best for your money?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
From the original that seemed so revolutionary back in 2016, through the declining battery, and on to the new AirPods in 2019 and now the AirPods Pro. Here's how Apple's wireless earbuds started great and became superb.

L-R: AirPods, AirPods 2, AirPods Pro
L-R: AirPods, AirPods 2, AirPods Pro

You can still buy the original Apple AirPods, but don't. They turn up on eBay and perhaps it's sometimes true when the listings say they're new. But usually they're used, and if there is one thing we don't like about AirPods, it's that they have zero resale value after a couple of years.

To be clear, the excellent sound quality remains the same, but over time the battery life drops from about five hours to about one and a half.

The original AirPods were a marvel, but they're gone. While thinking of them as disposable items makes us miss the $159 we spent, we don't miss those AirPods because we now have ones that are much better.

Now we have two models of AirPods that are much better. This is not a case of trying to decide whether you want AirPods or the AirPods Pro at all, because you do. It is a case of deciding which one, and justifying paying between $159 and $249 for them -- perhaps plus $29 for AppleCare+.

And if you still have the original AirPods, it is a case of deciding whether you can conscience replacing them when they still sound good.

AirPods versus AirPods 2

Just give those original AirPods to someone. As long as you tell them the battery life is seriously declined, and you don't try gift-wrapping them as a new Christmas present, you'll be a mensch.

AirPods Pro (left earbud) and AirPods (right earbud)
AirPods Pro (left earbud) and AirPods (right earbud)

You could keep them as a spare set and that's what we did with ours. However, that spare set has sat on a shelf all year, not used since we tried comparing it to the then-new AirPods 2.

That's partly because the battery life on the AirPods 2 is five hours -- it's not that it's longer than the original AirPods were, it's that they're new so the battery hasn't worn down -- but that's not all.

There is also the fact that, optionally, AirPods 2 come with a wireless charging case and that proves to be so much more than a gimmick. As with all Qi charging, you know that you could just plug in a wire, you know that it's hardly inconvenient and you know it's faster, but once you've used wireless charging, you're hooked.

The ability to just pop the AirPods down on to a wireless mat and know they'll be charged when you pick them up later, it makes AirPods 2 far more convenient than AirPods 1.

You can buy AirPods 2 without a wireless charging case, and you can buy a wireless case to charge your original AirPods. There isn't that choice with the new AirPods Pro, though. Your only option is a wireless charging case.

You can tell that we come to praise AirPods Pro, but charging is one thing that does give us pause.

While you do have to have this wireless charging case, you can't get AirPods Pro without it, you can of course also charge that case up using an old-fashioned cable.

AirPods Pro on wireless charging pad
AirPods Pro on wireless charging pad

Except it isn't that old-fashioned. AirPods Pro come with a Lightning to USB-C charging cable, just as the new iPhones do, and just as last year's iPads Pro did. But unlike the phone or the iPad, AirPods Pro do not come with a plug.

To charge up your AirPods Pro using the cable provided, you have to provide a USB-C plug or have a Mac that has a USB-C port.

Fit and finish

Apple's including a USB-C to Lightning cable won't concern many or perhaps even most people, but if it affects you, it's a clear issue. You can't charge your AirPods Pro using just what's in the box.

Whereas the one criticism of the original and 2019 AirPods is much less straightforward, much more open to interpretation.

It's to do with how the AirPods fit in your ear.

There are people who can't wear them because they do not fit. Apple talks a good game about how the AirPods fit everybody, and it's remarkable how many they do, but it isn't everyone.

AirPods 2 on sale in an Apple Store
AirPods 2 on sale in an Apple Store

In retrospect, though, we're now wondering if AirPods fit fewer people than we thought. Specifically, we're thinking about whether they really fit us.

We've never had our AirPods fall out by themselves, not once in all the years we've had them. We have knocked them out, certainly, but they've never dropped and we've been happy with them.

Except now that we have AirPods Pro with their different fit, we remember regularly touching our old AirPods to make sure they were in. To give them a slight push and how that improved the sound because, presumably, they had begun to work their way out of our ears.

It wasn't ever a conscious thing, but it became a bit of a reflex and we are startlingly aware of it now that this is over. Once we put the AirPods Pro in, that was all gone. They fit thoroughly, they fit very securely.

Handling AirPods and AirPods Pro

If the new AirPods Pro fit our ears better, they're more fiddly to get out of the case first. Doubtlessly this is just because they're new to us, but it is harder to get these things out of their case than we're used to. Their different shape means they don't quite snap in to the case as clearly and easily as before.

We've never been unsure which AirPod goes in which side of the case, for instance, but with AirPods Pro we have got it wrong a couple of times.

Maybe because of that, or maybe just because they do fit our ears so well, we tend to leave the AirPods Pro in much more. That's unless we're talking to people, when it's rather rude to have these in your ears, although sometimes rather handy to be able to turn on noise cancelling and drown them out.

Siri

Even though the AirPods Pro are new, we're already also seeing that we talk to them more. If you have the original AirPods then the real reasons to upgrade are the better sound quality in the newer models and their longer battery life than you've become used to. But there is also Siri.

You will feel peculiar at first, walking down the street saying to empty air, "Hey, Siri, play Francisca Valenzuela Essentials," but you'll get used to it.

Unfortunately, you'll also get used to saying it several times in a row. There's a knack with AirPods 2, you need to say the "Hey, Siri" part and then give a slight pause, like you're deciding on just the right witty comment to make, then say what you want.

AirPods Pro don't entirely remove the need for that artistic breath between "Hey, Siri," and your command, but it's better. The improved microphones mean Siri hears us and responds much more often. And that means it starts to feel increasingly natural to just say "Hey, Siri, skip" or "previous track."

Hey, Siri, turn on noise cancelling. And remind me to shave.
Hey, Siri, turn on noise cancelling. And remind me to shave.

So you do. You use Siri more and more.

Noise-cancelling

There is one Siri command that is exclusive to the AirPods Pro. You can say "Hey, Siri, turn on noise cancelling," and it does. Equally you can have Siri turn it off. There are other ways, including holding the stem of an AirPod Pro for a moment, or using your iPhone, but Siri has you covered too.

Our sole wish with the noise-cancelling feature of the new AirPods Pro is that it would've been great if someone had cancelled the noise we made when we first tried it. We're not going to say that we turned it on and muttered a rude word in surprise, because this is a family website.

But, seriously, the noise cancelling is amazing.

It's a nail in the idea that we will keep our AirPods 2 as a spare. We just won't. Tim Cook seemed to suggest on the latest financial earnings call that Apple imagines people will have AirPods 2 and keep AirPods Pro for those specific times when they need noise-cancelling, but no.

We're not going to keep nearly half a grand's worth of AirPod equipment on us, we're going to use AirPods Pro and probably even leave noise cancelling on all the time.

Sound quality

When we first tried AirPods 2, it seemed to us that the sound quality was noticeably better than in the original AirPods. We were more aware of instruments far down in the mix than before, we were noticing the breathing of singers more.

We had the same thing with AirPods Pro. It seemed we were hearing more, but then when we went back to try the same music on AirPods 2, we were hearing the same things.

Working through the specifications, and just to our ears, the new AirPods Pro sound the same as AirPods 2.

Until you turn on noise cancelling.

You can control Noise Cancelling in Control Center. Notice the middle image, though: there's a note at the bottom saying you can only have noise cancelling on if you're wearing both AirPods. We managed it with one, by accident, and it is extremely disorie
You can control Noise Cancelling in Control Center.

This is what we were noticing. With the sounds of the real world mostly stripped away from you, music does sound better on AirPods Pro.

Note that you can only switch on noise cancelling when you are wearing both AirPods. The Control Center display will even tell you to put the other one in before it will switch this on.

That makes sense of course, but we did accidentally manage to get noise cancelling working with a single AirPod Pro in our ear. And it is extraordinarily disorientating. We did it so you don't have to.

Making a choice

Apple has now made three versions of AirPods, and currently sells two of them of them at three different price points. That could be confusing, but it isn't.

Your choice comes down to money. If you can afford to buy AirPods Pro, just go buy them. And pick up a compatible wireless charging mat while you're at it.

If you can't justify spending $249, go for the $159 AirPods 2. That's the most economical price, and while it doesn't get you the wireless charging case, it does get you the excellent AirPods 2.

AirPods, in all their versions, are excellent. We sound like evangelising fans, but there is a reason for that.

It's because we've used them.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    How do they compare to the Beats though?
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Beats are only really better if your use case involves working out - if you're not taking them to the gym or running then the AirPod Pros are your better bet...that is until they bring noise canceling to the Beats Pro (if they ever)
  • Reply 3 of 25
    BxBorn said:
    Beats are only really better if your use case involves working out - if you're not taking them to the gym or running then the AirPod Pros are your better bet...that is until they bring noise canceling to the Beats Pro (if they ever)
    Beats are bulky and cheaply built. I've been using my Pros at the gym. They do a great job.
    forgot username
  • Reply 4 of 25
    Bought the Pros, and they worth every euro!

Absolutely godsent to all the cyclists, now we can enjoy music riding along the highway or downtown.
    forgot username
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    Appleish said:
    BxBorn said:
    Beats are bulky and cheaply built. I've been using my Pros at the gym. They do a great job.
    That's odd.. I have seen and read many reviews for the Powerbeats Pro and have never heard anyone refer to them as bulky or cheaply made?  Powerbeats Pro's would be the only earbud by Apple that is directly comparable to the Airpod Pro's I would think?  I also own the Beats X which are actually the only Beats product I have ever bought for myself and they have held up pretty well since 2017...

Maybe you are referring to beats products from the past or in general and I was mistaken to assume you were talking about Powerbeats.  I thought those ( Powerbeats )  were what  the OP was referring to when they asked how do the AP Pro's compare to the Beats?
  • Reply 6 of 25
    sflagelsflagel Posts: 805member
    BxBorn said:
    That and an off switch. Powerbeats Pro don’t have an off switch so unless you put them back in their very bulky case after using them, they stay connected to your iPhone forever. The lack of noise cancelling and an off switch make them unusable for commuting on the tube or subway. Sadly. 
    forgot username
  • Reply 7 of 25
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Isn’t there supposed to be another AirPod upgrade coming soon? Kuo predicted one pair at the end of 2019 and another in early 2020, if I remember correctly. Has anyone heard any rumors about those yet? I’m hoping for some health features, although other than that, what else could they possibly cram into such a tiny device?
    caladanian
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Are you saying they don’t actually sound better without the ANC? I thought the bass was better. Did someone else also notice this?
  • Reply 9 of 25
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,523member
    Can’t help but feel that the AirPod Pro is what the AirPod 2’s should have been, a significant improvement over the first generation.

There shouldn’t be an AirPod Pro and an AirPod 2, just AirPod.
    forgot username
  • Reply 10 of 25
    I have to say that I am impressed with the AirPod Pros. I have several different sets of earphones, to include B&O E8's version 2, Shure SE-846's with custom ear inserts and Double Helix OFC cable. For reference I use a pair or B&W P9 studio monitors. Sound wise, I am pretty much set up but today with the inclusion of the Pros into my sound listening devices, I am quite impressed. The bass is a bit heavy but right at the edge of heavy and not really boomy. The separation and sound stage is quite nice and rich. I have to say the Shures blow just about all other earphones out of the water but I would highly recommend the AirPod Pros. 
    dewme
  • Reply 11 of 25
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    not_anton said:
    Absolutely godsent to all the cyclists, now we can enjoy music riding along the highway or downtown.
    And yet, please don't!

All earbuds are dangerous when driving or cycling.  There is all kinds of research on this, it's undeniable.  The new Pro AirPods are even more troubling in this particular context, as they will isolate the user even more from sounds around them.

This isn't just me talking, 17 US states and 2 Canadian provinces already have laws on the books banning or limiting the use of headphones or earbuds while driving, and 3 states and 2 provinces have similarly explicit laws about use while bicycling.

If you're on a cycling path or other relatively safe environs, have at it - AirPods are awesome.  But if you're "on the highway or downtown" please just don't do this.  

In my city it seems like almost every week I read about another bicyclist that's dead and gone because they were riding in traffic.  I guarantee you that every one of these riders thought they were being safe and careful.  Some of them might have actually been doing a good job at being careful, but they're still dead.  Bicycles and cars are a poor mix, and when they tangle it's always the bicyclist that's going to pay.  Even if you're willing to take those risks, other people pay the price.  Family, friends, the other driver.  A friend of mine was driving (safely, as born out in court) when he was hit by a cyclist, who died.  He suffered serious trauma (nightmares and 'daymares') for years from the accident even though he was virtually unscathed, physically.

If you're going to ride on the streets in traffic, please do everything possible to be safe, and that means leaving the convenience of tunes in your pocket until you're off the road.  It seems like such an easy ask, and yet I can hear all the indignant pushback from cyclists who think they know better. :-(

edited November 2019 dewmeStrangeDays
  • Reply 12 of 25
    blah64blah64 Posts: 993member
    Aside from the above comment about use while driving/riding, the AirPods Pro sound awesome for my use cases (the Ws; walking, working out, waiting, working in loud cafes, etc.).  I'll be visiting my local Apple Store soon to see if there's any sanitary way to try them out in person. 

That said, I love my current AirPods (gen 1), they fit my ears just fine, and they still have plenty battery left, so unless I can find a good recipient for them, it'll probably be a while before I'm ready to upgrade.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    AppleExposedAppleExposed Posts: 1,805unconfirmed, member
    blah64 said:
    not_anton said:
    And yet, please don't!

All earbuds are dangerous when driving or cycling.  There is all kinds of research on this, it's undeniable.  The new Pro AirPods are even more troubling in this particular context, as they will isolate the user even more from sounds around them.

This isn't just me talking, 17 US states and 2 Canadian provinces already have laws on the books banning or limiting the use of headphones or earbuds while driving, and 3 states and 2 provinces have similarly explicit laws about use while bicycling.

If you're on a cycling path or other relatively safe environs, have at it - AirPods are awesome.  But if you're "on the highway or downtown" please just don't do this.  

In my city it seems like almost every week I read about another bicyclist that's dead and gone because they were riding in traffic.  I guarantee you that every one of these riders thought they were being safe and careful.  Some of them might have actually been doing a good job at being careful, but they're still dead.  Bicycles and cars are a poor mix, and when they tangle it's always the bicyclist that's going to pay.  Even if you're willing to take those risks, other people pay the price.  Family, friends, the other driver.  A friend of mine was driving (safely, as born out in court) when he was hit by a cyclist, who died.  He suffered serious trauma (nightmares and 'daymares') for years from the accident even though he was virtually unscathed, physically.

If you're going to ride on the streets in traffic, please do everything possible to be safe, and that means leaving the convenience of tunes in your pocket until you're off the road.  It seems like such an easy ask, and yet I can hear all the indignant pushback from cyclists who think they know better. :-(

I think he was referring to the ambient sound pass-through which allows users to hear their surroundings. In that case these are great.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 14 of 25
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    AAppleInsider said:
    Note that you can only switch on noise cancelling when you are wearing both AirPods.
    Actually, that’s not entirely true. You can switch on this feature in the Accessibility tab under AirPods. 
  • Reply 15 of 25
    Tower72Tower72 Posts: 22unconfirmed, member
    I had the Airpods 2, and I was one of those that had the issue with them just not fitting right just sitting in my ear. This also affected the sound quality. What I did find, that helped improve the quality, was a 9.99 item off Amazon, that slipped over the Airpods and included the tip that fit into my ear canal. For me, that was a night and day difference, and a huge improvement. Then Powerbeats were released, so I sold my Airpod 2's , and go those. The sound was amazing, and I fell in love with the bass they put out. Soon after though, I starting having some minor issues. The case was too big to fit into my pocket (minor) and the ear hooks only allowed me an hour or so of wearing them, before they became uncomfortable. Another issue I had was with the Hey Siri command. The Airpod 2's, picked it up right away, and even at a softer level. The Powerbeats required me to say the command multiple times to register, which also prompted me to toss in a few selective curse words in the phrase as well. So now I have the Pros, and I LOVE them. They are also my first experience with ANC, and when I first put them in my ear and paired them, I didnt know wtf was going on. I was outside, and a semi truck was idling a few doors down from me (75-80 feet away maybe). I slid them in. paired them, and poof it became silent. At first I thought they guy shut off his truck, so I was shocked when I removed them and nope, it was still running. Put them back in again, and back to blissful silence. So smaller form factor, wireless charging, ANC, and the transparent feature seems to "enhance" my normal hearing, not to mention not needing a special attachment from Amazon, to achieve sound comparable to, and in some cases better, then the PowerBeats. For me, these are a purchase that I am VERY happy with.
    Japhey
  • Reply 16 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,361member
    That is an interesting observation about the constant, unconscious fiddling with the long stem AirPods to keep the sound quality just right. I find myself doing the same thing because the earpieces seem to rotate a little in my ear. When I’m stationary at my desk it’s not noticeable but if I’m moving my head around the things do move a little and sound quality suffers. I’m sure the Pros will be better by design. The long stem versions can be made much better with add-ons like silicone wings but at the expense of not fitting the charging case. Sometimes Apple’s insistence on aesthetic purity kills the MacGyver in all of us by blocking all reasonable hack arounds. 

Yeah, the first time you use a set of headphones with good ANC, like many of Bose's products, the effect is startling. Yes Max, the Cone of Silence is real. I have a pair of Bose QC20i earbud style headphones with ANC and I’ve sat in the window seat on a turboprop commuter flight where I could see the blades spinning outside my window. The QC20s silenced the engine and prop noise and allowed me to listen to music at a safe listening volume. If the AirPod Pros can do the same, I’m all in with buying a pair. The issue with the QC20 product, despite its superlative performance, it the serious collection of claptrap that using it entails. The design of the AirPods Pro is light years ahead of the QC20i and highlights just how far ahead of the competition Apple has advanced in such a short period of time. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    "...audio quality is better, but not as good as $20 wired headphones."
  • Reply 18 of 25
    mocseg said:
    "...audio quality is better, but not as good as $20 wired headphones."
    DOH!!!!!!!

• Reply 19 of 25
    sflagel said:
    BxBorn said:
    That and an off switch. Powerbeats Pro don’t have an off switch so unless you put them back in their very bulky case after using them, they stay connected to your iPhone forever. The lack of noise cancelling and an off switch make them unusable for commuting on the tube or subway. Sadly. 
    Seriously?? Why would you wear and it turn it off? When not in used put it in a charger. Its design for us that are working outs and fit, not for subway and getting fat....
  • Reply 20 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,876member
    saarek said:
    Can’t help but feel that the AirPod Pro is what the AirPod 2’s should have been, a significant improvement over the first generation.

There shouldn’t be an AirPod Pro and an AirPod 2, just AirPod.
    The article is wrong, there is no AirPods 2. It’s just the second generation of AirPods, which is improved over the first gen. On the Apple site they are sold simply as “AirPods”, whereas versioned iPhones are sold as “iPhone 11” etc. 
    edited November 2019