Review: Keychron K2 mechanical keyboard is a delight to type on and a joy to look at

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    For everyone there is something to chose from.
    This keyboard won't be my choice though.

I love my MacBook Pro Keyboard. Less travel distance is very important for me!

I touch type as well. So " I like the six-degree angle you can achieve by flipping the feet on the back of the keyboard out" is really good feature who do not touch type. And I get it - it's good for those people. But not for me. (I wisch apple had the keybeard without an angele.)

Even the backligtning on the laptop is not needed for me, as I don't look at the keyboard.

So as someone who touch types what I am looking in the keyboards:
    - flat and low profile
    - less travel distance
    - preferably curved keyboard

I like Apple Keyboard. If they wolud have done a curved version with front and back at the same level - a dream would have come true.

muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 22 of 36
    dmitry.pdmitry.p Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Backed this keyboard in May on Kickstarter, got it a couple of months ago. I use it to work in Xcode ~ 6-7 hours a day while the Macbook is on the stand.
    I haven't noticed any critical problems in these months, but I wouldn't call it perfect either.
    However, I am thinking about buying their K1 full-size keyboard.

As for the ugly orange button - it is better to replace it with a gray one (included with the keyboard):

edited November 2019 cgWerks
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    If you can't see your comment, re-read the commenting guidelines. It is ludicrous to throw around allegations because an AI staffer liked a product, and you did not.

AppleInsider does not take payola to review products or cover news items. This post is also not labeled as a sponsored one, so therefore, it is not.
    edited November 2019 tht
  • Reply 24 of 36
    Do they make a full size version, with numeric keypad and arrow keys?  Doesn't show on their website, so I presume the answer is no.

An absolute must have for me.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 25 of 36
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Can anyone recommend a good wired keyboard with UK layout for use with my iMac?
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 26 of 36
    Do they make a full size version, with numeric keypad and arrow keys?  Doesn't show on their website, so I presume the answer is no.

There is a 104-key version of the K1, it looks like.
  • Reply 27 of 36
    dmitry.pdmitry.p Posts: 2unconfirmed, member

They started a campaign on Kickstarter - model is K4. but I don't like the fact that there's no space between the key sections . it's all very tight.
  • Reply 28 of 36
    neilmneilm Posts: 985member
    Not a fan of the Tokyo-by-night lighting "feature," but at least it can be turned off.
    randominternetpersonSpamSandwich
  • Reply 29 of 36
    If a keyboard has any moving parts (which is every keyboard that isn't a pane of glass) is "mechanical."  I assume they term in used in this review is used to distinguish between long-travel and short-travel keys?
    cgWerks
  • Reply 30 of 36
    If a keyboard has any moving parts (which is every keyboard that isn't a pane of glass) is "mechanical."  I assume they term in used in this review is used to distinguish between long-travel and short-travel keys?
    No.

Mechanical in this context refers to a type of key switches, as opposed to rubber dome, butterfly, buckling spring, scissor, et al.
  • Reply 31 of 36
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I prefer keyboards that use Topre's non-contact electrostatic capacitive switches. Manufacturers of such keyboards include Realforce and Happy Hacking (Fujitsu). HHKBs are available in bluetooth models, too. I'm still disappointed that the Escape key is in the wrong location on almost all modern keyboards. (I get around it in vi/vim by remapping the string "jk" to ^[.)
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 32 of 36
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    I for one prefer 'most ''80s keyboards compared to what's offered today. It's sad that low-profile chicklet keyboards are the new traditional keyboards. 

I'd been typing on a typewriter for years when IBM brought out the Selectric and it was an incredible machine. I ditched the Royal and Underwood for one, and was saddened when the only nearby typewriter repair guy retired.

When my last Selectric (a III) failed it was just too heavy for me to ship to Parts, Unknown for repair.

So yeah, this keyboard isn't quite my cuppa but may be worth a look. I'm 90% a touch type but need to peek every now and again so illumination without the Saturday Night Fever setting, is appreciated.

As to unsupported accusations of dishonest reporting, I think AI has a buggy post that needs squashing.
  • Reply 33 of 36
    cgWerkscgWerks Posts: 2,952member
    urahara said:
    ... I love my MacBook Pro Keyboard. Less travel distance is very important for me!

I touch type as well. So " I like the six-degree angle you can achieve by flipping the feet on the back of the keyboard out" is really good feature who do not touch type. And I get it - it's good for those people. But not for me. (I wisch apple had the keybeard without an angele.)

Even the backligtning on the laptop is not needed for me, as I don't look at the keyboard. ...
    Backlighting makes sense, but what do the other two things have to do with touch-typing or not?\

Hmm, maybe they just added it, but I see one when I go there:
    https://www.keychron.com

While I like the compact nature of the K2, I'm not sure I'd like it THAT compact on that K4.

Heh, yeah, I was thinking that too. I see Mike W's response, but I guess that is more an industry-insider thing, as you're right that they are all ultimately mechanical.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    cgWerks said:
    Heh, yeah, I was thinking that too. I see Mike W's response, but I guess that is more an industry-insider thing, as you're right that they are all ultimately mechanical.
    Right.  I guess this article was targeted at industry-insiders who use the term "mechanical" in that (unusual) way.
  • Reply 35 of 36
    Huh, according to mechanicalkeyboards.com, it appears that Apple keyboards are mechanical keyboards, since they aren't rubber domed.

WHAT IS A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD?

A mechanical keyboard is a keyboard built with high quality, typically spring activated, key switches. These key switches vary based on the keyboard’s application or user preference.

While some of the first widely sold keyboards such as IBM’s Model M in the 1980’s utilized mechanical switches, the 1990’s brought on a wave of inexpensive rubber dome keyboards that flooded the keyboard market. Rubber dome keyboards represent over 90% of keyboards in use today and provide an inexpensive but dissatisfying feel and typing experience.

• Reply 36 of 36
    Huh, according to mechanicalkeyboards.com, it appears that Apple keyboards are mechanical keyboards, since they aren't rubber domed.

WHAT IS A MECHANICAL KEYBOARD?

A mechanical keyboard is a keyboard built with high quality, typically spring activated, key switches. These key switches vary based on the keyboard’s application or user preference.

While some of the first widely sold keyboards such as IBM’s Model M in the 1980’s utilized mechanical switches, the 1990’s brought on a wave of inexpensive rubber dome keyboards that flooded the keyboard market. Rubber dome keyboards represent over 90% of keyboards in use today and provide an inexpensive but dissatisfying feel and typing experience.

They're clearer about examples here. The Apple keyboard still has a dome, just not a rubber one.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/switches/
    edited November 2019 fastasleepcgWerks