Apple releases first betas for iOS 13.3, iPadOS 13.3, tvOS 13.3, watchOS 6.1.1

Posted:
in iOS edited November 2019
Apple has restarted the beta process once more with builds of iOS 13.3, iPadOS 13.3, tvOS 13.3, and watchOS 6.1.1 now available for testing by developers.

iOS 13

The latest builds can be acquired from the Apple Developer Center for participants in the Developer Beta program, as well as via the usual over-the-air update for hardware already used for testing beta software. Public beta versions of the developer builds are usually issued a short time after their developer counterparts, and can be downloaded from the Apple Beta Software Program site when made available.

The new first builds follow after Apple released final public versions of iOS 13.2, iPadOS 13.2, and tvOS 13.2 on October 28.

Released after going through four beta cycles, iOS 13.2 and iPadOS 13.2 introduced Deep Fusion photography, Siri improvement program opt-in options, over 70 new emoji, HomeKits Secure Video, and a number of other improvements.

At present, it isn't clear what new features are arriving with the new beta versions.

Both AppleInsider and Apple strongly suggest users don't install beta software onto "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the slim possibility for data loss or other issues. The recommendation instead is to install betas onto secondary or inessential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of any important data before making major changes or updates.

Find any changes in the new betas? Reach out to us on Twitter at @AppleInsider or @Andrew_OSU, or send Andrew an email at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    ednlednl Posts: 61member
    I hope they let the i(Pad)OS memory manager ease up a little. Multitasking sucks, app states get lost so quick.
    edited November 2019 fastasleep
  • Reply 2 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Both AppleInsider and Apple strongly suggest users don't install beta software onto "mission-critical" or primary devices, due to the slim possibility for data loss or other issues. The recommendation instead is to install betas onto secondary or inessential devices, and to make sure there are sufficient backups of any important data before making major changes or updates. 

Then why offer public betas when we (and Apple) know for a fact that tons of people will do the exact opposite, install the betas on their primary (and usually only) device and then rage loudly when bad things happen and their data is lost. In my opinion public betas only temp those who want bragging rights about having something no one else has yet. Then consider that public betas apparently do little to ward off show stopping bugs. After six or more developer and public betas the final releases are still unstable many times. So either developers and the public are not reporting things or Apple is ignoring them or a mix of both. As for myself I never participate in beta testing for Apple or anyone else because all of my devices are primary ones and I don’t have spare iPhones or Macs to test with. Again ,my personal opinion and use strategy. I wait until the actual release and STILL get burned sometimes (not many but sometimes).
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 3 of 12
    netmagenetmage Posts: 314member
    Other more in depth sites are reporting that multitasking is improved in 13.3 beta. 
    fastasleep
  • Reply 4 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    lkrupp said:

Then why offer public betas when we (and Apple) know for a fact that tons of people will do the exact opposite, install the betas on their primary (and usually only) device and then rage loudly when bad things happen and their data is lost. In my opinion public betas only temp those who want bragging rights about having something no one else has yet. Then consider that public betas apparently do little to ward off show stopping bugs. After six or more developer and public betas the final releases are still unstable many times. So either developers and the public are not reporting things or Apple is ignoring them or a mix of both. As for myself I never participate in beta testing for Apple or anyone else because all of my devices are primary ones and I don’t have spare iPhones or Macs to test with. Again ,my personal opinion and use strategy. I wait until the actual release and STILL get burned sometimes (not many but sometimes).
    Because it’s helpful. Nobody can account for idiots who type First!. We really don’t know how many bugs are prevented with people reporting within these betas. I’ve been in a number of beta programs over the decades, and it does help.
    llamachia
  • Reply 5 of 12
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    netmage said:
    Other more in depth sites are reporting that multitasking is improved in 13.3 beta. 
    Hooray! I was losing my place on two long pages just switching between two Safari tabs while voting last night, it was maddening. Definitely the most annoying bug I’ve run into this cycle so far. 
    caladanian
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Hope they sort the email delay issue (unless it’s just me??). I only use iCloud mail and will see a notification for a new email or have a tag on the icon with a number of emails... open up mail only to have to wait while it fetches the emails and updates.  This never used to happen?? Is it just me or are others noticing it too??
    mbenz1962
  • Reply 7 of 12
    Hope they sort the email delay issue (unless it’s just me??). I only use iCloud mail and will see a notification for a new email or have a tag on the icon with a number of emails... open up mail only to have to wait while it fetches the emails and updates.  This never used to happen?? Is it just me or are others noticing it too??
    I have noticed and it is the single most irritating thing about iOS 13 for me.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    netmage said:
    Other sites didn't bother to test, and jumped to conclusions. The real answer is complicated.

https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/11/05/everything-new-in-ios-133----changes-and-performance
    edited November 2019 dewmefastasleepchia
  • Reply 9 of 12
    Haven’t we learned recently I will pass for months that these consistent, periodic, rapid development cycles which shoehorn results into find out text periods of development have caused an extreme problem in quality control? Software is fluid, amorphous and highly variable which leads to challenges in scoping out requirements and meeting them in fixed amount of time.

in other words, Apple please understand that a weekly cycle is far too short for anything significant. You can’t be working on multiple releases at the same time either because things cannot overlap as each thing is built upon the last. It’s not that modular and layered yet in my opinion. I would certainly love to learn that I’m wrong or figure out how to do that or at least be educated enough to help you.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    tstump said:
    Haven’t we learned recently I will pass for months that these consistent, periodic, rapid development cycles which shoehorn results into find out text periods of development have caused an extreme problem in quality control? Software is fluid, amorphous and highly variable which leads to challenges in scoping out requirements and meeting them in fixed amount of time.

in other words, Apple please understand that a weekly cycle is far too short for anything significant. You can’t be working on multiple releases at the same time either because things cannot overlap as each thing is built upon the last. It’s not that modular and layered yet in my opinion. I would certainly love to learn that I’m wrong or figure out how to do that or at least be educated enough to help you.
    It is indeed fairly modularized. If Apple couldn’t do this, technically, do you think they would? A little knowledge goes a long way.
    edited November 2019
  • Reply 11 of 12
    Public beta is now available for 13.3beta1
  • Reply 12 of 12
    tstump said:

In other words: In your opinion, they're doing everything wrong, but you also have no idea what you're talking about. I'm sure they'll jot that down.