'iPhone SE 2' could sell up to 30M units in 2020, says Ming-Chi Kuo

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2020
Apple is set to ship between 20 million and 30 million units of the 'iPhone SE 2' in calendar year 2020 following its launch, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicts, with the successor to the iPhone SE thought to be using a motherboard similar to the SLP version used in the iPhone 11.

The original iPhone SE
The original iPhone SE

Rumors and speculation has Apple working to produce a follow-up to the popular iPhone SE. According to a research note from TF Securities' analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, the tentatively-titled 'iPhone SE 2' is expected to sell about the same volumes that the iPhone SE did at its launch.

Kuo believes the 'iPhone SE 2' will sell at least 20 million units in its first calendar year of availability. Given the potential popularity of the device, Kuo also offers an optimistic prediction of up to 30 million units, if all goes well for Apple, though this is if Apple does indeed launch the model in the first half of the year as anticipated.

The original iPhone SE sold in the region of 30 million units in the first year of availability, putting the second-generation version slightly behind the first. However, the 'iPhone SE 2' also has to compete against the iPhone 11 as the cheapest model of the current generation, as well as the iPhone XS and XR from last year, as well as a relatively mature iPhone market.

According to the note seen by AppleInsider, Kuo passed comment on some of the components expected to be used in the model. Kuo is expecting the use of a ten-layer Substrate-like PCB (SLP) for the motherboard, the same technology used by the iPhone 11's version, albeit a cheaper version. It is believed the choice of motherboard will help some existing iPhone supply chain companies, including Pending Holdings, AT&S, and Xinxing, due to the use of SLP.

Earlier notes from Kuo suggested the iPhone SE sibling will cost $399 when it ships at the end of March, with mass production expected to start in January.

The model is predicted to include the same 4.7-inch display as the iPhone 8, as well as take some of its physical design, but combine it with the A13 processor used in the iPhone 11 series, along with 3 gigabytes of application RAM. The model is also thought to use an updated antenna design that uses Liquid Crystal Polymer, but the need to keep the price down also makes Kuo believe it will continue to use Touch ID and not Face ID.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    I guess that's cool. would be cool to keep that 5/5s/SE form factor & cram a slightly bigger screen in it. oh well.
    JWSCcaladaniancoolfactorwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 2 of 14
    A $399 iPhone with up to date specs would give me a good reason to update from a still holding on 6s. 
    AI_liascornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 14
    If this is true is it going to replace the 8 and if not why would someone purchase that for $50 more with a 2 year old CPU? Are they just going to reduce the base storage?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 14
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,108member
    If only they could give it a unique feature that would put it in a class by itself...hmmm.

Maybe make it smaller than the other models?  Like, say, the size of the SE that it's supposedly "replacing"?
    cornchipcaladanianatomic101watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 14
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    cornchip said:
    I guess that's cool. would be cool to keep that 5/5s/SE form factor & cram a slightly bigger screen in it. oh well.
    Maintaining the current form factor with a larger screen would be preferred by the customer base.   But since when did Apple listen to its customers when making design decisions?

Well OK, they did listen to them with regard to the Mac Pro.  How many years did that take...?
    muthuk_vanalingamcaladaniancoolfactor
  • Reply 6 of 14
    If only they could give it a unique feature that would put it in a class by itself...hmmm.

Maybe make it smaller than the other models?  Like, say, the size of the SE that it's supposedly "replacing"?
    Isn't the differentiating factor for the SE its smaller size rather than price per se, as it appeals to those who don't want or like the larger sized iPhones. Sure,, price can be adjusted down by using older tech, but a current specs smaller iPhone would be very attractive. Whether they go with a shrunken version of the current form factor of iPhone 11 or use the SE template would be an interesting consideration. Plus we would be in the upgrade cycle for those who purchased SEs and are looking to upgrade to a new smaller sized iPhone. It's all about the size.
    caladaniantobianjust cruisinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    damn right it will. in fact, i will likely be contributing to that figure. i really prefer the designs of the bezeled phones of apple. the notch for me isn’t compelling. also, touch id is still just fine.
    MisterKit
  • Reply 8 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    Flat sides! Like the original 4/5/SE! Apple, listen to your customers please!

AI_liaswatto_cobramacguibaconstang
  • Reply 9 of 14
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member

litoloop said:
    damn right it will. in fact, i will likely be contributing to that figure. i really prefer the designs of the bezeled phones of apple. the notch for me isn’t compelling. also, touch id is still just fine.

Bezels do serve a purpose, especially when trying to use the phone one-handed. But I promise you that the notch is a non-issue. It does not interfere whatsoever. Maybe it would on a smaller screen, though? That could be valid. Face ID kicks butt over Touch ID, except when the phone is laying flat on the desk.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 14
    "Isn't the differentiating factor for the SE its smaller size rather than price per se" Yes yes and yes. Give me another phone that fits in my pocket.
    just cruisinwatto_cobrabaconstang
  • Reply 11 of 14
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    SE was smaller iPhone among iPhone 7,8, Plus. Same way SE2 is smaller when comparing with current larger iPhones. This 30 million SE2 is difficult to justify. Only strong argument is $399 price point.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,360member
    wood1208 said:
    SE was smaller iPhone among iPhone 7,8, Plus. Same way SE2 is smaller when comparing with current larger iPhones. This 30 million SE2 is difficult to justify. Only strong argument is $399 price point.

'You want a small phone? We'll give you a small phone. The SE8 is smaller than the X, Xs, Xr, 11, even the 11 Pro. So it's actually the same size as the SE, see? You're just realizing it wrong'. —Apple
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 14
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    This makes no sense to me -- none!
    He is predicting that Apple will stick iPhone 11 internal components (except the camera) into an iPhone 8 and sell it for $100 less than the iPhone 8.

This is not something Apple dreamed up since September -- so if true, why are they still selling the iPhone 8?  You would be paying $100 more for a 3 year old phone!

In addition, as I said previously -- it makes more sense for most users to use older components (CPU, etc) but in a no-bevel, full screen in a small sized phone.  That is, most users are using their phones for Facebook, messages, etc and don't need a state of the art processor -- but they do want a big screen in a small phone.

• Reply 14 of 14
    Great candidates to replace my parents’ 6s