Plugable Thunderbolt 3 NVMe SSD review: Just as fast as your MacBook Pro storage

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    spodspod Posts: 30member
    Cable not detachable? Eek! Me no buy.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 25
    I have the TekQ Rapide 960GB. 
    Just as fast as this one. 
    Aluminum enclosure with good heat dissipation. 
    And a detachable cable. 
    forgot usernamewatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator

I recently bought OWC's Envoy ProEx, and it appears to be a close match. When I bought an iMac 2 years ago, it was a stretch to get a 1 TB SSD, so I'm super happy to have an additional 2 TB with the OWC model. Interestingly, it doesn't have a detachable cable either. For me, that's OK, because I leave it plugged in as expansion storage. As for clutter, it sits behind my iMac and isn't really visible. It's a bit cheaper than the Plugable.
    It's also half the speed of this model. That's not a bad thing, mind you, because not everything demands this kind of speed.
    Are you looking at the Thunderbolt 3 model?  According to OWC, "Up to 2500MB/s sustained performance".  The article above says ". Plugable says the drive can deliver more than 2400 megabytes per second for read speed, and 1800 megabytes per second of write speed."

The only one I've used is the (now) USB 3.2 type C one. I'll look closer at the line.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 25
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,922administrator

MacPro said:
    Mike have you tried this connected this to a VMWare Fusion 11.5.0  VM running Windows 10?  None of my external USB 3/USB-c  SSDs mount in Windows since Catalina on a new iMac 27" 5K.  The Windows Control Panel Device Manager sees the SSDs attached drives and Windows does its splash sound when connecting and disconnecting as usual but the Windows Explorer doesn't see them.  Nor do utilities such as Partition Wizard.  I am running the latest developer Catalina on the host but I also tried in an earlier version and I saw the same issue.
    I have not. I'm going on vacation after work on Friday, but I'll try to get this done before I go.
    Have a great, well deserved vacation Mike!  (But don't forget to come back!)
    I'll be back on the 26th, don't worry :D
    roundaboutnowGeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 25
    I use this instead of building in a faster  harddrive in my iMac.