Apple expects to sell over 100M 5G iPhones in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2020
An unconfirmed report in Digitimes claims that Apple is advising its suppliers that it will be producing in excess of 100 million of the next iPhone, a rise of around a fifth over 2019's estimates.

Apple has previously been reported to be expecting to sell 80 million 5G iPhones in 2020. However,, Apple has allegedly advised its supply chain that it is forecasting a sharp rise in demand for the 5G iPhones that it is due to release in September 2020.

Specifically, Digitimes says that sources within the Taiwanese supply chain, have been told to expect Apple will sell 100 million of the new iPhones.

Also according to Digitimes, Apple has been expecting to sell between 70 and 80 million of the 2019 range of the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max.

It's true that the iPhone 11, in particular, has been selling well. However, Digitimes has a particularly mixed track record when it comes to hardware sources.

Recently, it claimed that Apple had abandoned its AR glasses project and then had to walk that back.

Apple has yet to officially reveal that 5G will be included in the 2020 iPhones, although Qualcomm has hinted at it. The technology is expected to impact the manufacturing cost of the iPhones, but it's expected that despite being late to 5G, these next iPhones will become market leaders.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    At least 3 kinds of iPhone buyers. First say I need to upgrade to iPhone because I need it now and until wide spread 5G is available in place I live, work and commute, don’t care to wait 5G iPhone. 2nd kind of people says I waited for 5G iPhone so I will upgrade to soon as 5G iPhone is available and if 5G not available than hopefully in next year or two 5G will be available in my area. Just future proof purchase. And I am among such people. So, 100M 5G iPhone buyers world wide is possible.
    And 3rd kind says stick to current 4G LTE long as possible and keep upgrading to non-5G iPhones.
    GeorgeBMacwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 21
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    Perhaps a cheap 4.5G SE early next year followed by a 5G refresh. It's not unreasonable to think some people are holding off now for the new design and 5G.

llamamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 21
    More reliable LTE is plenty. 
    MplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 21
    despite being late to 5G” 😹
    StrangeDaysMplsPFileMakerFellerfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    As I sit here, I am dealign with my second service outage from AT&T in two work days.  I have nearly zero connectivity, and AT&T tells us nothing is wrong.  It affects all AT&T customers at my workplace.  On Friday, we were out for 5 hours.  This started a few hours ago.  Regardless of what Apple releases, I don't have much hope for true 5G anytime int he next several years.  They can't even manage their fake 5Ge network.  
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    seankill said:
    Totally agree.  Will 5G somehow help the terrible LTE reception I have at my home since switching to TMobile? I have tried booster options that either use my home wifi network or try and extend a terribly weak LTE signal. Neither work and I am in eye shot of a tower. 
    sdw2001watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 21
    I don't really particularly care exactly when Apple adopts 5G, but you know what I am looking forward to? Apple not lying 2-3 times in a row about whether what they are releasing is actually 5G and making up all kinds of magical "alternate" kinds of 5G which are not actually 5G, and pretending they are 5G, and making up special logos that take up double the space in your phone's menubar for said logos. Like AT&T has. Definitely looking forward to that. When Apple releases 5G, it will a) actually adhere to the 5G standard and b) be called "5G", not "5G Enhanced" or "5G with an annoying small-cap E after it, following a doubly-annoying space" or "5G+" or any other made up thing.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    seankill said:
    Free Tip:   Don't hold your breath!
      Who would do that and why?   If it were profitable, it would have been done already.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:
    seankill said:
    Totally agree.  Will 5G somehow help the terrible LTE reception I have at my home since switching to TMobile? I have tried booster options that either use my home wifi network or try and extend a terribly weak LTE signal. Neither work and I am in eye shot of a tower. 
    Doubtful:  Each carrier determines the profit in providing service to each area.   No profit.  No service.  And I see no reason to think that, if 4G is unprofitable that 5G would be.
    You might be saved because, eventually, 5G will be used for more than just cell phones which might provide the incentive to provide service in your area.  But, that will be somewhere down the road.  Likely the most promising there would be 5G to the home as well as interactions with self or partially self driving cars.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    “despite being late to 5G” 😹
    I know, this techie narrative is a joke when compared to reality. My major market (several pro sports teams, etc) isn’t close to having 5G so it’s impossible that Apple is late. It’s just not important right now. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 21
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,925member
    Last week we had a report saying the 5G antenna suppliers couldn’t supply adequate numbers, so taking that rumor with this rumor - we’ll have 5G phones but no antennas which actually won’t matter because there’s virtually no 5G coverage anyway. 

I guess Apple could just do what AT&T does - slap a new 5G label on and call it good. 
  • Reply 12 of 21

I don't really particularly care exactly when Apple adopts 5G, but you know what I am looking forward to? Apple not lying 2-3 times in a row about whether what they are releasing is actually 5G and making up all kinds of magical "alternate" kinds of 5G which are not actually 5G, and pretending they are 5G, and making up special logos that take up double the space in your phone's menubar for said logos. Like AT&T has. Definitely looking forward to that. When Apple releases 5G, it will a) actually adhere to the 5G standard and b) be called "5G", not "5G Enhanced" or "5G with an annoying small-cap E after it, following a doubly-annoying space" or "5G+" or any other made up thing.
    Apple hasn’t lied about anything. That is all AT&T. Your iPhone is simply displaying what the carrier sends it. 
    edited November 2019 FileMakerFellerfastasleepsocalbrianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 21

jcs2305 said:
    seankill said:
    This is the single possible benefit to 5G that I can come up with and I haven’t been able to determine from the readings I’ve done what, if any difference the switch to 5G will make on 4G reception/service. 
  • Reply 14 of 21
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    “despite being late to 5G” ߘ馬t;/div>
    I know, this techie narrative is a joke when compared to reality. My major market (several pro sports teams, etc) isn’t close to having 5G so it’s impossible that Apple is late. It’s just not important right now. 
    But the headline is OK with you? After all it IS just a rumor.
    /s :wink: 
    edited November 2019 MplsP
  • Reply 15 of 21
    That’s all on AT&T with their fake 5Ge icon.  Apple had nothing to do with that. 
    socalbrianwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 21
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    sdw2001 said:
    As I sit here, I am dealign with my second service outage from AT&T in two work days.  I have nearly zero connectivity, and AT&T tells us nothing is wrong.  It affects all AT&T customers at my workplace.  On Friday, we were out for 5 hours.  This started a few hours ago.  Regardless of what Apple releases, I don't have much hope for true 5G anytime int he next several years.  They can't even manage their fake 5Ge network.  
    Did you try shutting off the LTE option in the settings for cellular and just use 4G?  I usually get more bars by doing that.  But LTE does give better voice quality on calls
  • Reply 17 of 21
    M68000M68000 Posts: 725member
    MplsP said:

Apple hasn’t lied about anything. That is all AT&T. Your iPhone is simply displaying what the carrier sends it. 
    Yeah but you can be sure Apple knows about his misleading and deceptive marketing ploy.  I think I recall you had to have a certain iOS version that enabled this fun.  For Apple to allow this is troubling.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    When has Apple lied about anything related to 5G? Rumors are not fact and do not come from Apple directly. That 5GE nonsense has all to do with AT&T. I remember they did the same thing when 4G LTE was rolling out.  I was with AT&T at that time and my phone displayed 4GE for moths until the full cut over took place.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    M68000 said:
    MplsP said:

Yeah but you can be sure Apple knows about his misleading and deceptive marketing ploy.  I think I recall you had to have a certain iOS version that enabled this fun.  For Apple to allow this is troubling.
    According to AT&T, customers who upgrade to iOS 12.2 will see the "5GE" icon when connected to what AT&T is calling a 5GE network. This is an AT&T-only thing, so it's limited to AT&T customers.

It's also only showing up on iOS devices running iOS 12.2 or later, but the 5GE icon has also previously rolled out to some Android devices.

I don't think you are correct.  Explain how this is a marketing ploy in any way having to do with Apple.  I am curious how you came to that conclusion?

• Reply 20 of 21
    DigiTimes = Nope!