Apple Watch alerts Florida man of A-fib, a condition he didn't know existed

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited December 2019
A 74-year-old man from Lake Worth in Palm Beach County, Fla., credits Apple Watch with saving his life after the device alerted him to an atrial fibrillation event during a trip to Baltimore.

Apple Watch A-fib
Roy Robinson was alerted to an A-fib event by his Apple Watch. | Source: WPBF

Roy Robinson told ABC News affiliate WPBF that he was on a trip to visit family when a notification reading, "You're in A-fib," popped up on his Apple Watch. Alerts continued to sound about once an hour.

Atrial fibrillation is an irregular heart rate often characterized by rapid beats that can lead to heart failure or stroke.

The first warning was triggered when Robinson found himself out of breath after walking up three flights of stairs at his granddaughter's school, an unusual occurrence as he considers himself fairly fit. Notifications persisted throughout the day, but it was only when Apple Watch sounded an A-fib alarm while he was laying on the couch that he and his family decided to investigate.

"I had no idea what A-fib was," he said.

Following the sixth alert, Robinson conducted a Google search for "A-fib" and, after finishing Thanksgiving dinner, headed to Johns Hopkins Hospital.

"We showed up at the hospital and they said, 'Why are you here?' I says, [. . .] 'My watch says that I'm in A-fib,'" Robinson said. "So he hooks me up to the electrocardiogram and after about 30 seconds of looking at the electrocardiogram, says, 'We're admitting you.'"

A number of doctors, interns, residents and nurses visited Robinson during his time at the facility, saying they wanted to see the "guy that was saved by the Apple Watch."

"I'm not sure if it saved my life, but it sure as hell helped," he said.

Apple Watch has been credited with saving multiple lives since automatic A-fib detection was added to the device's feature set in 2018. The system works by regularly monitoring a user's heart rate data, which is collected by a specialized sensor embedded in the wearable's backside.

Apple continues to build out Apple Watch's suite of health tools, with current iterations of the device boasting a single-lead ECG to better detect irregular heart rhythms.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    Just a few days ago two men were saved from drowning by their "smartwatch" All reports just mention a "smartwatch" and it's SOS feature. I am guessing it is an Apple Watch. They were Kayaking on the coast of Ocean Park in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The watch alerted the authorities and within 3 minutes the US Coast Guard helicopter was on the scene. Impressive response! Again, they always mention a "smartwatch" but I have not heard of any other smartwatches on the industry to have a life saving SOS call feature. It was all over the local news, but did not see it anywhere else. https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/USDHSCG/bulletins/26f4e45 ... Nevermind, just saw it also on 9to5. Apparently the USCG did finally say it was an Apple Watch.
    danhchaickaGeorgeBMackuduwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 35
    That’s not the sort of headline we’ve become accustomed to attributing to Florida Man. 
    SoliCarnageStrangeDaysHeliBumviclauyycmontrosemacswatto_cobraentropysjstaggie
  • Reply 3 of 35
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    The scary think is that an iKnockoff shop like Samsung may try imitating this feature and end up killing someone.
    macseekermacplusplusmatrix077chaickalkruppHeliBumravnorodomwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 35
    Before buying an Apple Watch for this feature, you might want to listen to real cardiologists on YouTube.

Unfortunately, the people (population) that would benefit the most are the people least likely to buy one... (elderly)
  • Reply 5 of 35
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Before buying an Apple Watch for this feature, you might want to listen to real cardiologists on YouTube.
    What does this mean?
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayswatto_cobratmay
  • Reply 6 of 35
    riverkoriverko Posts: 222member
    Unfortunately, the people (population) that would benefit the most are the people least likely to buy one... (elderly)
    Well, probably in this case it is time for the kids to pay back the care they got from parents and get them Apple Watch as a gift... i am doing the same with my mother
    chasmchaickaStrangeDayslordjohnwhorfinviclauyychcrefugeeravnorodomwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 7 of 35
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,296member
    It doesn't mean anything, it's Seanismorris spouting BS again. Yes, there are videos of "cardiologists" who apparently have time to make YouTube videos (they must be really good cardiologist then!) spouting FUD either because they've been paid to say so or they're just out-of-touch old men who can't believe a single-point ECG can indicate anything. And then there are the ACTUAL HOSPITAL CARDIOLOGISTS I've interviewed and the doctors in the articles AI has quoted and the many, many, many, many stories news sites have run about patients who discover a heart problem before they die of it thanks to the Apple Watch. But yeah, believe some rando on YouTube over actual doctors and patients who credit the Watch with saving lives. Sure.
    matrix077chaickasteven n.Rayz2016lkruppStrangeDaysviclauyychcrefugeejony0
  • Reply 8 of 35
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member

Well, as sons and daughters of elderlies, it’s our responsibilities to use tech to help them. Isn’t it?

Hell, I even bought one for my brother cause I know he is too stingy towards himself to get one (always put his children and wife above his own well-being). Told him it is all the more important that he stays healthy and gets help at earliest possible moment should anything happens so that he doesn’t becomes a burden to them. Thank god he didn’t reject the gift and hopefully that helps.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member
    chasm said:
    It doesn't mean anything, it's Seanismorris spouting BS again. Yes, there are videos of "cardiologists" who apparently have time to make YouTube videos (they must be really good cardiologist then!) spouting FUD either because they've been paid to say so or they're just out-of-touch old men who can't believe a single-point ECG can indicate anything. And then there are the ACTUAL HOSPITAL CARDIOLOGISTS I've interviewed and the doctors in the articles AI has quoted and the many, many, many, many stories news sites have run about patients who discover a heart problem before they die of it thanks to the Apple Watch. But yeah, believe some rando on YouTube over actual doctors and patients who credit the Watch with saving lives. Sure.
    Spot on. I had Doctors (pardon me for not knowing exact terminology - doctors who treat spinal issues, 4 types - Orthoxxxx, Neurologists, Physiologist, Chiropractors) giving me those ‘don’t bullshit’ attitude or total disregard of Apple Watch when I told them ever since I started with first gen Apple Watch, my spinal problems seem to have improved and greatly reduced relapses. Now 4 or 5 years later, I dare to say with confidence Apple Watch saved my lifestyle and perhaps even my job. Several years ago, I was almost frequently getting bed-ridden due to budged discs pressing onto my nerves on the lower back (L5-S1 area). It was so frequent such as twice a month for few days or every two months once (random pattern) that I have ran out of medical leaves, affected ability to deliver for my job, etc. Now, I haven’t have a relapse for 1+ year now. Slight discomfort at times, yes but bed-ridden, no. It’s all thanks to the annoying (at the beginning) alerts to stand up hourly. Now, it’s a habit that comes naturally to do so without the alerts, most of the time.
    GeorgeBMacStrangeDayskuduhcrefugeesteveaujony0
  • Reply 10 of 35
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    “A 74-year-old man from Lake Worth in Palm Beach County, Fla., credits Apple Watch with saving his life”

“"I'm not sure if it saved my life, but it sure as hell helped," he said.”

So which is it?
    Soli
  • Reply 11 of 35
    this is so cool to get a heads up. I was watching an intense part of a movie at the pictures and my watch alerted me that I have had an elevated heart rate for over 15 minutes without moving.
    jony0
  • Reply 12 of 35
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    hentaiboy said:
    “A 74-year-old man from Lake Worth in Palm Beach County, Fla., credits Apple Watch with saving his life”

So which is it?
    Does everything have to be bifurcated into black and white, either/or?   The universe is mostly grey -- it has extremes, but mostly it is comprised of the grey in the middle. 
  • Reply 13 of 35
    hentaiboy said:

So which is it?
    Does everything have to be bifurcated into black and white, either/or?   The universe is mostly grey -- it has extremes, but mostly it is comprised of the grey in the middle. 
    Read the quote from the Florida man. He says that he doesn't know if the Watch saved his life, while the article says the man credits the Watch with saving his life. It can't be both if that's the only source of data. You can say he credits the Watch for helping save his life, you can say that he doesn't know if it saved his life, and you can say that you believe that the Watch is or isn't responsible, but the line written in the article isn't accurate given the data supplied.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 14 of 35
    Soli said:
    What does this mean?
    It means “You could have an arrhythmia even if your heart is healthy” webmd.

If you listen to a cardiologist they’ll tell you the Apple Watch has questionable value.  Just because a couple instances of the heart monitor gets a person in to see their doctor and there is a problem, that leaves out thousands (?) of unneeded visits and stress that results.  The cardiologist explains that the tests themselves can be harmful (it’s not just listening to the heart).  It’s a numbers game...

Now if you’re an older person or a person with a known problem, owning an Apple Watch makes a lot more sense (if you bought it for that reason).
  • Reply 15 of 35
    Soli said:
    What does this mean?

If you listen to a cardiologist they’ll tell you the Apple Watch has questionable value.  Just because a couple instances of the heart monitor gets a person in to see their doctor and there is a problem, that leaves out thousands (?) of unneeded visits and stress that results.  The cardiologist explains that the tests themselves can be harmful (it’s not just listening to the heart).  It’s a numbers game...

Now if you’re an older person or a person with a known problem, owning an Apple Watch makes a lot more sense (if you bought it for that reason).
    Oh, only a "couple instances" of AFib being detected that weren't false alarms?
    StrangeDaystmay
  • Reply 16 of 35
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Well, I HAVE listened to a cardiologist, MY cardiologist. He thinks the Apple Watch is just fine for what it does. It’s an early warning system. The health and activity monitoring is very useful for sedentary old guys like me. It tells me to get up off my ass and walk around.
    SoliStrangeDaysGeorgeBMacviclauyyctmayjony0
  • Reply 17 of 35
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Love the way he finished his dinner before going to the hospital to deal with a potentially fatal heart problem.

The guy's a legend!

king editor the grateStrangeDaysviclauyycjony0
  • Reply 18 of 35
    neilmneilm Posts: 987member
    Soli said:
    hentaiboy said:

So which is it?
    Read the quote from the Florida man. He says that he doesn't know if the Watch saved his life, while the article says the man credits the Watch with saving his life. It can't be both if that's the only source of data. You can say he credits the Watch for helping save his life, you can say that he doesn't know if it saved his life, and you can say that you believe that the Watch is or isn't responsible, but the line written in the article isn't accurate given the data supplied.
    You're so right.

My suggestion is that next time the guy's Apple Watch throws an A-fib alert he should discontinue any meds he may be taking for the condition, and proceed to ignore the alerts. That way we'll have a control case to help fill out the experimental data to determine whether he was saved or merely helped. Of course on that basis it may be a bit hard to recruit further subjects for study, but hey, you can't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Soli said:
    What does this mean?

AW a-fib detection needn't use the ECG testing feature, it does passive monitoring based on heart rate. The vast majority of the population will not have false positives. While it is possible a-fib could go undetected, so would it if not wearing AW. Thus, there is absolutely no reason to opt not to use AW for a-fib detection. Except general anti-Apple FUD, of course.

What else ya got?
    edited December 2019 tmay
  • Reply 20 of 35
    Soli said:
    What does this mean?

AW a-fib detection does not use the ECG testing feature, it's passive monitoring based on heart rate. The vast majority of the population will not have false positives. While it is possible a-fib could go undetected, so would it if not wearing AW. Thus, there is absolutely no reason to opt not to use AW for a-fib detection. Except general anti-Apple FUD, of course.

What else ya got?
    One might be under the impression that all causes where the Watch alerted the wearer to AFib are being reported by the Apple-focused tech media, but I know of two people who were alerted of AFib (in Series 3 Watches, not the models that included the single-lead ECG feature) repeatedly and eventually went to the doctor because they had also been feeling lethargic lately. Both cases found that AFib was not "a fib" and had emergency surgery to correct the issue. I wonder how many other cases have been detected and resolved but not reported on by the media.
    viclauyyc