Apple gets FCC approval for Mac Pro tower, and rack-mount version

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited December 2019
The Federal Communication Commission has given the all-clear for the Mac Pro, with both the tower and rack-mounted version of the Mac workstation clearing regulatory checks for radio frequency emissions.

A rack-mount Mac Pro undergoing FCC-mandated testing

Initially revealed at WWDC 2019 alongside the new Mac Pro for conventional usage at a desk, little has been heard about the version that is intended to be mounted in a rack and used as a server. However, FCC regulatory filings about the device have surfaced, confirming it is on the way and could arrive soon.

The filing for model number A2304 offer no real major details about the model other than what is already known or expected, such as its appearance. A photograph showing the test setup for the rack-mount Mac Pro shows it to look very close to the version briefly displayed in an image on the WWDC stage, complete with the signature metal lattice and two handles in the front.

Other than the alternate enclosure, it is highly probable the internals will be the same as for the regular Mac Pro, complete with all of the possible upgrade options.

One detail from the filing is that the unit measures 8.58 inches thick. In terms of a typical 19-inch-wide server cabinet, this means the rackable Mac Pro takes up 4.9U of space at 1.75 inches per "U", equating to a 5U enclosure.

Apple is anticipated to start taking orders for the Mac Pro on Tuesday, but it remains to be seen whether the rack-mountable variant will be offered at the same time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    Does it have 2 power supplies? Though, that type of redundancy probably isn’t needed anymore when these cloud computing providers have tens to hundreds of machines, and one going down isn’t a big deal, and this is on top of power supplies likely being much more reliable now.

The top of the enclosure (not the vented side with the handles, but the solid side) supposedly is a door to make servicing easier.
    cy_starkmanwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 17
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Definitely going to get a dozen rack mounted ones and run them in parallel.  ;)
    philboogiewilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    MacPro said:
    I saw the wink but if you did, what software would you use to parallel process? Any if you applications handle this automatically?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    MacPro said:
    Can you please split up that order? This way we also get the good stuff on day 1 :-)
    SoliJWSCwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    What would one be doing when rack mounting it?  It doesn't have a true server operating system, but a server app (with minimal functionality at that) which runs on top of macOS.

With racks typically down the hall and in a secure room, how would one use one of these?
    williamlondon
  • Reply 6 of 17
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    What would one be doing when rack mounting it?  It doesn't have a true server operating system, but a server app (with minimal functionality at that) which runs on top of macOS.

With racks typically down the hall and in a secure room, how would one use one of these?
    Rack mounted hardware doesn’t have to be in a computer room it’s simply an easier way to mount a powerful computer in furniture that leaves the desk open for multiple monitors and other devices. I’m talking about a studio setup. 
    cy_starkmanITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,242member
    ITGUYINSD said:

Incorrect. The Server app was merely for management of built-in services. macOS is true, certified UNIX, which means you can install any number of easily-available services onto it. Everything can be installed via Terminal, you don't need a fancy interface to get things installed and configured.

I run a full web server setup on my MacBook Air for my web development. Nearly identical setup to what I run on my 20+ production servers (all Ubuntu Linux-based). Same software.

cy_starkmanITGUYINSDcornchipJWSCFileMakerFellerneo-techwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    So when will the new Mac Pro be on display at the Apple Store?

I want to see one before ordering, but am ready to get a BTO model.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 17
    ITGUYINSD said:

Some of the Mac-centric Hosting/Co-Lo facilities run VMware / HyperV / etc. on the old trash can Mac Pro, and I am sure they will want to do the same with the new Mac Pro ... one example - https://www.macstadium.com/vmware
    edited December 2019 ITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 17
    ITGUYINSD said:

None ever said (other then this articole) that it was proposed as a server; it is just a new Mac Pro with a rack mountable enclosure. In place where racks are used, it may be convenient to have three or four of them mounted in a rack, may be with video equipement, huge raids, and so on.
    edited December 2019 cy_starkmanITGUYINSDneo-techwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 17
    MacPro said:
    Get the wheel mounted option—then you can run them in true parallel... (no software needed 👀)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 17
    ITGUYINSD said:

If used as a media playback device to drive large videowall, multi-projection mapping, or LED screens, rack mounting is usually preferred.
    ITGUYINSDwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 17

Hey, is that an old Mighty Mouse I see there?
    cornchipwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 17
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    davgreg said:
    So when will the new Mac Pro be on display at the Apple Store?

I want to see one before ordering, but am ready to get a BTO model.
    Don’t tell me you’re going to inspect the metal grate and base your purchasing decision on the quality of the machining...  😉
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 17
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    JWSC said:
    Don’t tell me you’re going to inspect the metal grate and base your purchasing decision on the quality of the machining...  😉
    No, but I do not buy anything blindly. You test drive cars before you buy them, right?

I want one because I want a unit that will have a longer shelf life than the sealed up models, can be upgraded/repaired and such. It is one thing to read ad copy, but another to see it in person.

I had a PowerMac G4, G5 and a couple of generations of Intel Mac Pro and all served me well. I expect this one will as well.
    mobirdneo-techwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 17
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    davgreg said:
    JWSC said:
    Don’t tell me you’re going to inspect the metal grate and base your purchasing decision on the quality of the machining...  ߘ馬t;/div>
    No, but I do not buy anything blindly. You test drive cars before you buy them, right?

I want one because I want a unit that will have a longer shelf life than the sealed up models, can be upgraded/repaired and such. It is one thing to read ad copy, but another to see it in person.

I had a PowerMac G4, G5 and a couple of generations of Intel Mac Pro and all served me well. I expect this one will as well.
    Well, I’m envious.  Would like one but just can’t justify it as a personal machine.  But my new 27” iMac ain’t too shabby for my needs.

Are you using Apple Pay, 3% cash back?
    edited December 2019 watto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 17

Hey, is that an old Mighty Mouse I see there?

It's there to save the day!
    neo-techroundaboutnowwatto_cobra