US lawmaker asks Apple if it requires apps like TikTok to disclose foreign affiliation

Posted:
in General Discussion edited December 2019
As the U.S. government scrutinizes big tech over potential data security concerns involving China and Russia, the chair of a congressional panel on Friday asked Apple and Google if they require mobile app developers to disclose foreign ties.

China Apple Store

Rep. Stephen Lynch in letters to Apple and Google requested the companies inform Congress of any policies that require app makers to divulge investment from or association with non-U.S. entities, reports Reuters.

The appeal arrives amid growing suspicions that foreign companies, particularly those affiliated with China, are leaking sensitive information about U.S. users to government agencies. In some cases, Chinese tech companies are backed by the state or benefit from government investments, a situation that further muddies the water.

"Recent press reports have shed light on allegations that certain foreign companies and developers may be providing sensitive data on U.S. citizens via their mobile applications to their host governments, thereby creating significant national security risks," Lynch wrote in similar letters to Google CEO Sundar Pichai and Apple CEO Tim Cook, according to the report.

Lynch, who is a chairman of a subcommittee of the House of Representatives Oversight Committee, aired concerns over the amount data aggregated by social media apps, writing, "U.S. laws permit mobile applications to collect massive amounts of personal information about their users."

Seemingly at the center of Lynch's concerns are TikTok and Grindr, both of which are owned by Chinese companies. TikTok, owned by ByteDance, is under investigation by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), which has sought assurances that data be held in the U.S. and not compromised by Chinese authorities, the report said. Beijing Kunlun Tech Co Ltd., owner of gay dating app Grindr, said it plans to sell the mobile property by June 2020 due to increased scrutiny.

In a related matter, U.S. Sen. Josh Hawley in November introduced a bill that seeks to protect American interests by prohibiting companies from transferring user data or encryption keys to China. The bill, which cited an investigation of TikTok, is critical of companies that store user data on servers outside of U.S. purview.

As it applies to Apple's business, Hawley's legislation bans the transfer of encryption keys to non-U.S. servers. Apple migrated encryption keys of its Chinese iCloud operation to Chinese-run servers in 2018 to comply with that country's laws.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    Interesting that members of Congress are specifically concerned about gay dating apps leaking information. 
    edited December 2019 MisterKitwatto_cobraEsquireCatsviclauyycGeorgeBMactokyojimukurai_kage
  • Reply 2 of 25
    I always cringe when I read “national security” it seems to be a catch-all phrase for when the government wants to bypass constitutional protections.  

Most countries require company’s to save data in the country the data was created.  I.e. Chinese data saved in China (etc)

Ultimately, it’s up the users to trust the company in question is a acting responsibly.  For example, I don’t trust Facebook so I don’t use their apps/services.  TikTok is no different than Facebook, they’re going to sell ads & user data.

The question is, what does the government want?  Do they want to ban TikTok because it’s a foreign company?  That seems to be a “cut off the nose to spite the face” approach.  Ultimately that’s going to result in less business opportunities for US companies as other countries retaliate.

I suspect the the US wants the data and back doors into everything.  Got to watch them closely, otherwise “democracy” will be fiction, and China and the US will be the same.
    watto_cobraGeorgeBMacviclauyycdesignrmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 25
    I suspect the the US wants the data and back doors into everything.  Got to watch them closely, otherwise “democracy” will be fiction, and China and the US will be the same.
    No need to suspect. The government is very open about wanting back doors into everything.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/ag-barr-will-reportedly-ask-facebook-to-postpone-encrypted-messaging-plans.html
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/10/apple-facebook-senators-encryption-regulation/
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/30/five-eyes-backdoor-access-whatsapp-encryption
    edited December 2019 watto_cobrahydrogenEsquireCatsGeorgeBMacviclauyycdesignrcy_starkmanmuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 4 of 25
    texfla said:
    No need to suspect. The government is very open about wanting back doors into everything.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/03/ag-barr-will-reportedly-ask-facebook-to-postpone-encrypted-messaging-plans.html
    https://www.macrumors.com/2019/12/10/apple-facebook-senators-encryption-regulation/
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/jul/30/five-eyes-backdoor-access-whatsapp-encryption
    Seemingly lost on US law makers: If they can succeed in these demands, then other countries will demand the same. (i.e. China, Russia, EU nations.)
    edited December 2019 GeorgeBMacviclauyycwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    jd_in_sb said:
    Interesting that members of Congress are specifically concerned about gay dating apps leaking information. 
    TikTok isn’t a gay dating app It’s a video app comparable to Vine from a few years back.  So it seems they are concerned specifically with apps owned by Chinese companies, which both of the apps mentioned happen to be. 
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Always warms the cockles of your heart to witness liberals and conservatives sharing the same values: bigotry, opportunism, hypocrisy.
    viclauyycwatto_cobracy_starkmantokyojimubeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 7 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    TikTok isn’t a gay dating app It’s a video app comparable to Vine from a few years back.  So it seems they are concerned specifically with apps owned by Chinese companies, which both of the apps mentioned happen to be. 
    He’s referring to Grindr, which is mentioned in the article. 
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 25
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    jcs2305 said:
    The article also says Congress is concerned about the Grindr app
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 25
    jd_in_sb said:
    Dont be surprised, some in Congress are Gays, 😸laughing out loud😆 
    jd_in_sbwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 25
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    So why, without a shred of evidence, is congress trying to initiate a [cold] war with China?
    ...  Shades of the build-up & selling of the Iraq War.   We're still looking for those WMDs and atomic bombs -- I'm sure they will turn up eventually.

Meanwhile, Russia continues its attacks unnoticed and unopposed.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    If t-shirts I buy are required to say, e.g., “Made in China” why shouldn’t my apps let me know their country of incorporation?
    watto_cobraivanhCarnage
  • Reply 12 of 25
    mr lizard said:
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    He’s referring to Grindr, which is mentioned in the article. 
    Yes I know they mention Grindr.. Op says congress is specifically interested in gay dating apps leaking info. I was pointing out that they both weren't gay dating apps, but the thing they have in common was being Chinese owned. 
  • Reply 13 of 25
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:
    I read the article thanks..  If you read the article my comment wouldn't be hard to understand.  I think it is being Chinese owned is the connection, not gay dating apps being targeted.  Which both Grindr and TickTok are..chinese owned..according to the article.

Seemingly at the center of Lynch's concerns are TikTok and Grindr, both of which are owned by Chinese companies.

• Reply 14 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:
    I read the article thanks..  If you read the article my comment wouldn't be hard to understand.  I think it is being Chinese owned is the connection, not gay dating apps being targeted.  Which both Grindr and TickTok are..chinese owned..according to the article.

Seemingly at the center of Lynch's concerns are TikTok and Grindr, both of which are owned by Chinese companies.

Yeh, and Trump has fingered China as the current bad guy to distract from the bad behavior of Russia, Saudi Arabia and Turkey and himself.  It seems to be working well for him.
    muthuk_vanalingamkurai_kage
  • Reply 15 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:

Yeh, and Trump has fingered China as the current bad guy to distract from the bad behavior of Russia, Saudi Arabia and Turkey and himself.  It seems to be working well for him.
    China has topped the human rights violators list for decades, long before Trump. They’re an awful authoritative regime that has no qualms about running dissidents over with tanks, imprisoning religious minorities, disappearances, forced organ harvesting, currency manipulation, surveillance, etc etc.

I studied with the Uyghurs in China in university in the late ‘90s and this isn’t new today or remotely related to the current administration. So why do you constantly defend and promote China? What’s your motivation?
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 16 of 25
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:

Be specific, it’s about companies controlled behind the scene by the Communist Party of China.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 17 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:

China has topped the human rights violators list for decades, long before Trump. They’re an awful authoritative regime that has no qualms about running dissidents over with tanks, imprisoning religious minorities, disappearances, forced organ harvesting, currency manipulation, surveillance, etc etc.

I studied with the Uyghurs in China in university in the late ‘90s and this isn’t new today or remotely related to the current administration. So why do you constantly defend and promote China? What’s your motivation?

Nah -- that was Trump who took kids away from their parents put them in cages and who calls Nazis "very fine people".  And its us who watch children gunned down in schools and do nothing...

And, why do you and Trump ignore all human rights violations around the world -- such as those in Russia, Saudi Arabia and the Phillipines -- and focus only on unsupported allegations against China?  Why did these supposed human rights violations only become an issue under Trump?   Could there be a political agenda masquerading as a do-gooder here?  You know -- like how Bush painted Iraq as the bad guys so he could justify his aggression against them?

Yes, we've seen these tactics before.

If you really cared about human rights you would be trying to get those kids out of their cages -- or at least get them a bar of soap, a toothbrush and toothpaste.  Those aren't allegations about something happening in another country half way around the world.   Those are happening right here -- but that doesn't seem to be a problem to all those trying to target China.
    muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 25
    ivanh said:
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:

Be specific, it’s about companies controlled behind the scene by the Communist Party of China.

Yeh -- that's the phony rumor started by Trump.  But then he's already told 13,000 lies not to mentions spreading a few Russian conspiracy theories.  But, oh wait!   Even he's backing off of that lie and shifting to:  "Well they MIGHT do something in the future!".  I guess he got caught.  Again.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:

I am guessing you don’t have any Uighurs or HK-ers in your family tree... not to mention Tibetans or Taiwanese or...

Geez, why bother with people who see no value in personal liberties. 
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jcs2305 said:
    jd_in_sb said:
    jcs2305 said:

I am guessing you don’t have any Uighurs or HK-ers in your family tree... not to mention Tibetans or Taiwanese or...

Geez, why bother with people who see no value in personal liberties. 

Why bother with people who (mis)use "personal liberties" to push political agendas?