2020 iPad Pro renders show triple-camera bump and glass back

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,930member
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:
    Ladies and gentlemen the new heaviest ever and most likely to need repair iPad Pro 2020!
    That was my thought - not that Apple hasn’t done anything stupid in the past, but what use is there for a glass back on an ipad? on the iphone it allows for wireless charging. Are they seriously expecting people to use wireless charging for an ipad? Beyond that, the aluminum back is so much more durable and less prone to breakage. I got my wife a new iPad Air for christmas with a Brydge keyboard. The back is fully exposed, but that’s just fine. A glass back would almost mandate a case.

As for the camera, there are a lot of businesses who use iPads (think contractors doing quotes, insurance adjusters, etc) the camera is very useful for these people, and the ability to zoom in with a better telephoto lens as well as zoom out would be useful for these cases.
    Actually that's one of my only complaints about the iPad Pro — I wish I could get a Smart Cover that attaches on the side and leaves the back exposed. Those don't exist due to the magnet setup in the Pro, so you can only find cases that cover the back and front which makes it significantly thicker. Hoping they add magnets back to the side in a future revision.
    Yeah, for some reason Apple decided to move the smart connector from the long edge to the short edge, mandating that any keyboard using it covers the entire back. Unfortunately, almost no one uses the smart connector, instead opting for BT keyboards that have to be paired and charged separately. 

There should be a version without camera at all. That’d be so great and it’d be cheaper at that. 
    Maybe, maybe not. The actual cost of the camera module itself is not that much, so it wouldn’t save that much off production costs and likely nothing off the price, then Apple would have to deal with a bunch of different models without the camera. I suspect the end result would be nothing. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 31
    Dear idiots, if you put a bump on the iPad, you won't be able to lay it flat to type on it. Apple makes some truly stupid mistakes, but this would be stupid on scale I've not seen before. 
    Update yourself on current facts before mouthing off in public. The current iPad Pro already has a camera bump. But this doesn't matter since basically everyone has a case on it, rendering the back flat again.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 23 of 31
    davgreg said:
    I have owned and enjoyed the iPad Pro and really do not see the value or need for a glass back or a fancy camera.

It is a rare thing where I would be using my iPad Pro and not have the iPhone 11 Pro along, so exactly why would I want a duplicative camera set up on the iPad Pro? As to a glass back for wireless charging, I do just fine with USB C charging. The Anker charger sold in the Apple Store does a good job with both my iPad Pro and my MacBook Air.

My only complaints with the current Pro are battery life could be better and the clunky two button shutdown method.

I would love to see Apple completely switch over to USB C on iOS/iPad OS devices.
    Clunky? They’re right next to each other. Also I think I’ve shut mine down maybe once or twice if ever? Why would you?
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 24 of 31
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:
    Ladies and gentlemen the new heaviest ever and most likely to need repair iPad Pro 2020!
    That was my thought - not that Apple hasn’t done anything stupid in the past, but what use is there for a glass back on an ipad? on the iphone it allows for wireless charging. Are they seriously expecting people to use wireless charging for an ipad? Beyond that, the aluminum back is so much more durable and less prone to breakage. I got my wife a new iPad Air for christmas with a Brydge keyboard. The back is fully exposed, but that’s just fine. A glass back would almost mandate a case.

As for the camera, there are a lot of businesses who use iPads (think contractors doing quotes, insurance adjusters, etc) the camera is very useful for these people, and the ability to zoom in with a better telephoto lens as well as zoom out would be useful for these cases.
    Actually that's one of my only complaints about the iPad Pro — I wish I could get a Smart Cover that attaches on the side and leaves the back exposed. Those don't exist due to the magnet setup in the Pro, so you can only find cases that cover the back and front which makes it significantly thicker. Hoping they add magnets back to the side in a future revision.
    Yeah, for some reason Apple decided to move the smart connector from the long edge to the short edge, mandating that any keyboard using it covers the entire back. Unfortunately, almost no one uses the smart connector, instead opting for BT keyboards that have to be paired and charged separately. 

There should be a version without camera at all. That’d be so great and it’d be cheaper at that. 
    Maybe, maybe not. The actual cost of the camera module itself is not that much, so it wouldn’t save that much off production costs and likely nothing off the price, then Apple would have to deal with a bunch of different models without the camera. I suspect the end result would be nothing. 
    I don’t use a keyboard of any sort with mine. I just want a cover for the screen that acts as a stand when folded and leave the back bare. Not sure why they moved the smart connector to the bottom, they got the pencil charger on the other long side so not sure why they couldn’t do magnets and smart connector on the opposite side. 
  • Reply 25 of 31
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    lkrupp said:
    Some might ask who takes pictures with their iPad and why does an iPad need a fancy camera anyway. I see this at every public sporting event I attend, people standing there with their iPads hoisted up in front of their faces to take a picture of their son, daughter, grandchild , whatever. Just saying.

I agree that it is a strange sight, but I was a convert to iPad camera use when I did some eBay selling.  It was great to take a photograph of the item I was selling and than post it immediately to eBay with their iOS app (which works better than a standard web browser on a traditional computer).
  • Reply 26 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:

I don’t use a keyboard of any sort with mine. I just want a cover for the screen that acts as a stand when folded and leave the back bare. Not sure why they moved the smart connector to the bottom, they got the pencil charger on the other long side so not sure why they couldn’t do magnets and smart connector on the opposite side. 
    It’s amazing how much variation we want out of “simple” slate device, and there really aren’t that many great solutions. I’ve got a lot of things I’d like them to change to. It speaks to how different it is used by different people.

I think they moved the Smart Connector to the bottom back middle because they wanted to have multiple angles with the Smart Keyboard Folio. It’s too bad they only choose two as they could have had more. It didn’t prevent them from leaving the magnets on the side for magnetic Smart Covers though.

My list of wishes for the iPad include:
    1. 13.5” 5:4 aspect ratio. I only use the software keyboard and this would provide more space.
    2. Orient the large iPads for primarily landscape usage (logo would have to be turned).
    3. Put USBC ports on both the long edge and short edge. The Smart Connector is too limiting
    4. The power/sleep button should be recessed.
    5. Waiting on what the Pencil 2 charging solution feels like, but I think I’d rather have a USBC connector on the end.
    6. Add arrow and meta keys to the software keyboard.
    7. Overlapping app views.
  • Reply 27 of 31
    tht said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:

It’s amazing how much variation we want out of “simple” slate device, and there really aren’t that many great solutions. I’ve got a lot of things I’d like them to change to. It speaks to how different it is used by different people.

I think they moved the Smart Connector to the bottom back middle because they wanted to have multiple angles with the Smart Keyboard Folio. It’s too bad they only choose two as they could have had more. It didn’t prevent them from leaving the magnets on the side for magnetic Smart Covers though.

1. 13.5” 5:4 aspect ratio. I only use the software keyboard and this would provide more space.
    2. Orient the large iPads for primarily landscape usage (logo would have to be turned).
    3. Put USBC ports on both the long edge and short edge. The Smart Connector is too limiting
    5. Waiting on what the Pencil 2 charging solution feels like, but I think I’d rather have a USBC connector on the end.
    I’m just used to how the Smart Covers worked on my previous iPads and since I keep mine in a sleeve with my laptop, don’t really need to protect the back. Having options for both would be best really. 

The Smart Keyboard Folio can be used in both orientations? I didn’t realize that. Not sure how that works but ok. 

Pencil 2 magnetic charging is probably one of my favorite new things in recent Apple history.  I wouldn’t change that for anything. It’s dead simple and more reliable than even the Watch charger.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    thttht Posts: 5,447member
    tht said:
    MplsP said:
    MplsP said:
    spice-boy said:

I’m just used to how the Smart Covers worked on my previous iPads and since I keep mine in a sleeve with my laptop, don’t really need to protect the back. Having options for both would be best really. 

The Smart Keyboard Folio can be used in both orientations? I didn’t realize that. Not sure how that works but ok. 

Pencil 2 magnetic charging is probably one of my favorite new things in recent Apple history.  I wouldn’t change that for anything. It’s dead simple and more reliable than even the Watch charger.
    No, only two incline angles in landscape for the Smart Keyboard Folio.

They are better off with having 2 USBC ports, one on the long side and one on the short side. This type of port scenario made it all the way to prototype stage for the 1st iPad - they had a few built this way - where they were going to put 30 pin dock connectors on both the long and short sides. 

This idea will necessary if the iPad is to continue to extend its functionality.. The keyboard covers or docks can than have multiple ports and slots, more power can be provided to accessories, be used as a display as well as extending the display with one port still available. Just more flexibility, so on and so forth.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Apple just needs to strengthens the chassis on this iPad Pro to prevent bendgates. I seriously doubt the glass back and triple cameras when everybody takes pictures with their iPhones.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 30 of 31
    will the ipad have a usb c or lighting port?
  • Reply 31 of 31
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,418member
    will the ipad have a usb c or lighting port?
    The Pros have USB-C.