Rumor: Apple developing 'iPhone SE 2' variant with Face ID, 5.4-inch screen

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Ahhh!  Now, unlike previous rumors (an iPhone 8 chassis with a state of the art processor) this makes sense.

The greatest limitation of both the current SE and the 8 is that the screen size is constrained by the bezels.   Remove the bezels and you get a modern phone.   Keep the bezels and you have an "older, old fashioned" phone.

Contrarily, for the vast majority of buyers, their phones are not constrained by the processor.  So there is room to let an older processor drive the new SE.   Or, alternatively, they could do like what they did with the original SE back in the day: 
    Start with a modern form factor and a (semi)modern processor and then allow them to age in place over the next several years.

As this starts to take shape, the SE2 is starting to sound like a very viable phone for a lot of people:
    -- Smaller form factor (which is much needed in their line-up!)
    -- Lower price (Apple could follow their newest practices and offer multiple discounts as the phone ages)
    -- Modern features (or modern enough for most people)
    -- Potential for an SE+ that provides a larger (LED) screen in a lower priced phone.

Nice going Apple!   That could fill in some holes that will make a lot of people happy over the next several years!

But, as somebody asked previously:   What about 5G?  Currently that is not an issue, but over the life of any phone purchased in 2020 it will be.
    One answer is to do what they've been doing in the Mac Lines and provide incremental improvements (such as 5G) as available and needed without creating a whole new model and a lot of hoopla...
    I don’t see an entry level iPhone having Face ID.  Seems to me this is all about reusing design/parts and just updating the internals. The 8 definitely looks outdated but some people might not care if they prefer Touch ID,
    The entry-level iPhone currently has 2 cameras when just a few years ago that wasn't only for the top-end iPhone, but only for the Plus-sized option.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member

Ahhh!  Now, unlike previous rumors (an iPhone 8 chassis with a state of the art processor) this makes sense.

The greatest limitation of both the current SE and the 8 is that the screen size is constrained by the bezels.   Remove the bezels and you get a modern phone.   Keep the bezels and you have an "older, old fashioned" phone.

Contrarily, for the vast majority of buyers, their phones are not constrained by the processor.  So there is room to let an older processor drive the new SE.   Or, alternatively, they could do like what they did with the original SE back in the day: 
    Start with a modern form factor and a (semi)modern processor and then allow them to age in place over the next several years.

As this starts to take shape, the SE2 is starting to sound like a very viable phone for a lot of people:
    -- Smaller form factor (which is much needed in their line-up!)
    -- Lower price (Apple could follow their newest practices and offer multiple discounts as the phone ages)
    -- Modern features (or modern enough for most people)
    -- Potential for an SE+ that provides a larger (LED) screen in a lower priced phone.

Nice going Apple!   That could fill in some holes that will make a lot of people happy over the next several years!

But, as somebody asked previously:   What about 5G?  Currently that is not an issue, but over the life of any phone purchased in 2020 it will be.
    One answer is to do what they've been doing in the Mac Lines and provide incremental improvements (such as 5G) as available and needed without creating a whole new model and a lot of hoopla...
    I don’t see an entry level iPhone having Face ID.  Seems to me this is all about reusing design/parts and just updating the internals. The 8 definitely looks outdated but some people might not care if they prefer Touch ID,

It's not about having Face-ID.   It's about maximizing screen size in small form factor phone.
    And, Face ID is not a new technology to Apple.
    And, it could be argued that Apple already put Face ID in an "entry level phone" when they came out with the Xr in 2018.  The Xr was the entry level version beside the Xs Max,
    baconstangguscat
  • Reply 23 of 40
    The actual 5.4 inch iPhone 12 should be smaller in physical size than the iPhone 8, and just a bit larger than the (old) iPhone SE. That should satisfy the small phone crowd. The entry level iPhone Classic is simply to offer a decent phone at the $399 price point. There are plenty of folks who will find that attractive.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    IMO - Apple should offer four screen sizes, with even the smallest supporting 1080 native resolution, and NONE with a notch.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    mjtomlin said:
    Umm, the SE was a very clear answer to a hole in their iPhone line-up... a smaller phone.

This “SE 2” everyone talks about doesn’t offer anything that’s not already offered in another product. These rumors keep mentioning the iPhone 8... Why make the SE the new iPhone 8? That makes no sense at all. If they’re going to update the 8, just call it the iPhone 9, and continue to offer Touch ID for those that want it.

The point of the SE model was to offer something different that was not offered in another model. What I expect is an iPhone with 4.7 inch display and Face ID... Basically a smaller iPhone X, but with an LCD screen.
    The SE had another advantage than size, it also had a price advantage of $400 compared to the 6S $650. I could see it being a smaller screen iPhone 11, possibly lacking something like the second camera that Apple is aiming at a $500 price point.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Fatman said:
    IMO - Apple should offer four screen sizes, with even the smallest supporting 1080 native resolution, and NONE with a notch.
    If that means no Face ID or adding a chin then my opinion is NO!
    guscat
  • Reply 27 of 40
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    The actual 5.4 inch iPhone 12 should be smaller in physical size than the iPhone 8, and just a bit larger than the (old) iPhone SE. That should satisfy the small phone crowd. The entry level iPhone Classic is simply to offer a decent phone at the $399 price point. There are plenty of folks who will find that attractive.

So you think Apple will design a brand new phone because the size you mention doesn't exist, and still charge $399.00?

Using an older chassis ( SE was the same size as the 5 & 5s ) design is what made the SE possible at the price point. If you recall the SE had the same camera and processor as the 6s which was the flagship at that time. Using an existing design was the trade off to allow them to offer the SE at the low price.
    guscat
  • Reply 28 of 40
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,271member
    mattinoz said:
    mjtomlin said:
    Umm, the SE was a very clear answer to a hole in their iPhone line-up... a smaller phone.

This “SE 2” everyone talks about doesn’t offer anything that’s not already offered in another product. These rumors keep mentioning the iPhone 8... Why make the SE the new iPhone 8? That makes no sense at all. If they’re going to update the 8, just call it the iPhone 9, and continue to offer Touch ID for those that want it.

The point of the SE model was to offer something different that was not offered in another model. What I expect is an iPhone with 4.7 inch display and Face ID... Basically a smaller iPhone X, but with an LCD screen.
    When did Apple ever say the point of the SE was to offer a smaller phone in the lineup? Sure some people might want that but Apple never said that’s why it existed. At the time the SE was released Apple was still selling the 5S. The SE replaced that. The oldest phone Apple is selling right now is the iPhone 8. The rumors are an updated 8 style phone with new internals. That would follow what they did with the SE which is take the oldest phone in the lineup and refresh it.
    Pretty sure the SE introduction mentioned a couple of times people really love the small size of the iPhone 5s. 
    Easy to confirm if you post that link.

Ok then here is in the first 30 seconds.
    Number 1 reason "Some people <3 small phones" 
    Next reason it was the first iPhone for 40% so 60% of the 30miil sold the year before were people wanting pocketable phones.
    Hank2.0
  • Reply 29 of 40
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,942member
    mjtomlin said:

That... would be nice, but sadly, I doubt it's what they'll do.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    mattinoz said:
    mattinoz said:
    mjtomlin said:

When did Apple ever say the point of the SE was to offer a smaller phone in the lineup? Sure some people might want that but Apple never said that’s why it existed. At the time the SE was released Apple was still selling the 5S. The SE replaced that. The oldest phone Apple is selling right now is the iPhone 8. The rumors are an updated 8 style phone with new internals. That would follow what they did with the SE which is take the oldest phone in the lineup and refresh it.
    Pretty sure the SE introduction mentioned a couple of times people really love the small size of the iPhone 5s. 
    Next reason it was the first iPhone for 40% so 60% of the 30miil sold the year before were people wanting pocketable phones.
    Thanks. Good to know. 
  • Reply 31 of 40
    mattinoz said:
    mattinoz said:
    mjtomlin said:

Are you implying that iPhones no longer fit in pockets?
  • Reply 32 of 40
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    mattinoz said:
    mjtomlin said:

Are you implying that iPhones no longer fit in pockets?
    Well, I guess which is clearly hyperbola no my part but they did reach peak pocketability with the iPhone 5,5s,SE and have been going backwards on that front since.

GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 33 of 40
    Hank2.0Hank2.0 Posts: 151member
    A switch to Face ID and, presumably, the deletion of iPhone 8's top and bottom bezels -- affectionately referred to as its "forehead" and "chin" -- will free up space for the larger display, the sources said. 
    What happened to the idea of having Touch ID right on the screen? If memory serves I believe Apple even had a patent for that.
  • Reply 34 of 40
    mattinoz said:
    mjtomlin said:

I’m sure they did.  Marketing speak. I remember with the 5 or maybe it was the 5S Apple ran an ad about how great the phone was for one handed use (true). None of their current flagships are easy to use one handed. Again that was marketing speak to sell that particular product.
    You can watch the intro here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv9ybFJEIrs

They talk about how the small screen is important part of the marketing and they were particularly popular in China. So, you can dismiss it as marketing speak but the most certainly said the entire point was to keep the smaller phone in the line up. 

• Reply 35 of 40
    Hank2.0 said:
    A switch to Face ID and, presumably, the deletion of iPhone 8's top and bottom bezels -- affectionately referred to as its "forehead" and "chin" -- will free up space for the larger display, the sources said. 
    What happened to the idea of having Touch ID right on the screen? If memory serves I believe Apple even had a patent for that.
    I don't think they have found the tech that will allow it to be produced at iPhone scale as yet. I mean the new models sell +15mil in launch quarter sure each variation might only be 1-2mill each but screen tech, cameras, face ID needs be consistent across the same branded product.

Make me wonder why Apple doesn't have a product specifically with low volume solid-profit margin to run in test technology. iPhone SE could be iPhone LE say there will only be 1mill units a month. Then the 8 based SE could be the high volume lower margin production streamlined product until the XR can get into the same price point.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Dear Apple, I already have 3 computers at home. Just give me a damn phone already!!
  • Reply 37 of 40
    BTW: How long before Humans revolt against the price-gouging of these Pocket PC's?
  • Reply 38 of 40
    mandoist said:
    Dear Apple, I already have 3 computers at home. Just give me a damn phone already!!
    I have more than 3 at home and I already have a phone. What's stopping you?
  • Reply 39 of 40
    mandoist said:
    BTW: How long before Humans revolt against the price-gouging of these Pocket PC's?
    I don't think you know what that term means:
    Price gouging is a term referring to when a seller spikes the prices of goods, services or commodities to a level much higher than is considered reasonable or fair, and is considered exploitative, potentially to an unethical extent. Usually this event occurs after a demand or supply shock. Common examples include price increases of basic necessities after hurricanes or other natural disasters. In precise, legal usage, it is the name of a crime that applies in some jurisdictions of the United States during civil emergencies. In less precise usage, it can refer either to prices obtained by practices inconsistent with a competitive free market, or to windfall profits. 

If you think that Apple is operating in a free market and is somehow forcing you to pay more than you need to then I implore you to hire an attorney and file an injunction against Apple with the Feds.