AirPods Pro firmware update sacrifices noise cancellation quality for bass

Posted:
in General Discussion
A recent firmware update to AirPods Pro was was meant to improve the audio quality overall, but seems to have reduced the ability to block some ambient noise at lower frequencies.

Apple AirPods Pro uses ANC to block outside noise
Apple AirPods Pro uses ANC to block outside noise

Apple released the affected firmware update on December 16, 2019, which may have reduced audio isolation performance. Audio review site Rtings performed a new round of tests to evaluate the AirPods Pro ANC while running the 2C54 update, and found that user complaints were accurate.

"After updating to Firmware [2C54], we retested the headphones and our results showed a fairly significant drop in isolation performance, primarily in the bass-range," discovered Rtings. "This means that with ANC turned on, these headphones won't do nearly as good a job blocking out the low engine rumbles of planes or buses as they did before this update. This review reflects these changes."

The reduction in isolation has been directly attributed in Apple's attempt to increase audio quality, and more specifically bass accuracy. Rtings also reflected this change saying that the result "showed a fairly significant improvement to bass accuracy."

The 2C54 update was pulled shortly after release for reasons not entirely clear, but users were already complaining about a difference in the active noise cancellation system (ANC). Also unclear, is how many users ultimately were affected by this update.

Apple's AirPods Pro are the high end version of Apple's truly wireless earphones. Released in September 2019, they debuted as an upgrade path from the existing second generation AirPods, rather than acting as a replacement. AirPods Pro offered Active Noise Cancelling and changeable ear tips for a premium $250 price tag. Check out AppleInsider's Price Guide for more purchasing information and deals.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    Crap! I updated immediately. Any indication they’re going to fix this? I’ve noticed the drop in ANC noise reduction. It was much better out of the box months ago. 
    fred1
  • Reply 2 of 21
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    Anilu_777 said:
    Crap! I updated immediately. Any indication they’re going to fix this? I’ve noticed the drop in ANC noise reduction. It was much better out of the box months ago. 
    I also updated immediately and I'd also like to know when a fix will be issued, though I doubt that anyone who contributes to this site or comments has this information.  Given the choice between noise cancelling and bass tones, I go for noise cancelling.  

On a different note, what are "truly wireless" earphones??  Uh, either they're connected by wire or they aren't, no?
    geekmeeelijahgpslice
  • Reply 3 of 21
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I wasn’t happy with the sound quality of the AirPod Pros I got for Christmas. In addition, they gave me a severe allergic reaction which made the insides of my ears itchy throughout the holidays which was awful!
  • Reply 4 of 21
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    jkichline said:
    I wasn’t happy with the sound quality of the AirPod Pros I got for Christmas. In addition, they gave me a severe allergic reaction which made the insides of my ears itchy throughout the holidays which was awful!
    Sorry to hear that... It’s the only allergic reaction I have heard. I am sure if you contact Apple Support they would give you some refund options. I am not Apple affiliated in any way, but me and everyone I’ve known who contacted Apple Support has come away with a solution that was pleasing and relevant to them.
    if you posted to this group, I think you owe it to yourself to make Apple Support aware of the problem.
    edited January 2020 StrangeDaysurahara
  • Reply 5 of 21
    I am sure Apple will figure it out and make it right, looking their history.
    I am reminded of airline flights who are off-track 98% of the time. It’s the constant little self-corrections that get them their safely and on-time.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 6 of 21
    The thought that struck me spontaneously was: ok, so I buy a product with certain a set of “performance parameters”, one of them being sound quality and another being the ANC. Now an update changes these performance parameters significantly - so I don’t have the product I paid for, and maybe I would not have bought them / kept them had this been the performance from the start. I wonder to what extent that would allow you to return them after such a change, and in how far this may constitute an unauthorized modification of your property and have legal implications. 
    If you look at the VW Diesel scandal, eg obviously owners are entitled to return the car/damages already based on the fact that the software update required to comply with the standards lead to a performance decrease. 

No. I don’t own them. No I’m not an ambulance chaser. I’m just curious since my subjective perception is that such things happen more and more often (Apple and this case being just one example). 
  • Reply 7 of 21
    The thought that struck me spontaneously was: ok, so I buy a product with certain a set of “performance parameters”, one of them being sound quality and another being the ANC. Now an update changes these performance parameters significantly - so I don’t have the product I paid for, and maybe I would not have bought them / kept them had this been the performance from the start. I wonder to what extent that would allow you to return them after such a change, and in how far this may constitute an unauthorized modification of your property and have legal implications. 
    If you look at the VW Diesel scandal, eg obviously owners are entitled to return the car/damages already based on the fact that the software update required to comply with the standards lead to a performance decrease. 

No. I don’t own them. No I’m not an ambulance chaser. I’m just curious since my subjective perception is that such things happen more and more often (Apple and this case being just one example). 
    “Maybe” is the operative word here.
    ”May constitute an unauthorized modification”
    I would go back to law school to take this case.
    Most of the complaints I hear about are from people who don’t own AirPods or AirPod Pros, which makes it pretty tough to show harm I or intent to cause harm.
    Can you say? FUD
    edited January 2020 StrangeDays
  • Reply 8 of 21
    I’m on a flight from London to Houston and wondered why my AirPods Pros were unusable. It’s like the noise cancelling wasn’t fully working. I had to turn volume up to max and gave up using them.

When I flew from London to Auckland late last November they worked just great. Mystery solved. Here’s hoping Apple fix it with and update soon.
    urahara
  • Reply 9 of 21
    fred1 said:
    Anilu_777 said:
    I also updated immediately and I'd also like to know when a fix will be issued, though I doubt that anyone who contributes to this site or comments has this information.  Given the choice between noise cancelling and bass tones, I go for noise cancelling.  

On a different note, what are "truly wireless" earphones??  Uh, either they're connected by wire or they aren't, no?

Truly wireless earphones are, truly wireless. They don't connect to the earphones with anything, think AirPods. Wireless earphones are bluetooth like truly wireless ones, but they connect to each other with a wire, think Beats X.
    uraharawatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 21
    geekmee said:

“Maybe” is the operative word here.
    ”May constitute an unauthorized modification”
    I would go back to law school to take this case.
    Most of the complaints I hear about are from people who don’t own AirPods or AirPod Pros, which makes it pretty tough to show harm I or intent to cause harm.
    Can you say? FUD
    Let me make it clear that I’m not complaining. I just observe a trend and a number of unanswered questions around software/firmware. From “to what extent is a manufacturer obliged to provide security updates, in particular when they would address a potential safety issue?  If yes, how long? What if the patch changes above me ruined performance of the product?” Regulations and laws are currently giving too many answers. Likewise, liability and performance rod connected products is not yet fully covered. Example: you buy a TV set with third party apps  on it. A year later the underlying API changes, the app does not get updated and seizes to work. How long are you entitled to use software ?

but you’re right, better discuss this in a legal forum I suppose. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 11 of 21
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    Bose pulled the same trick with the QC35.

although in its case the firmware update happened around the same time the more expensive 700s were released.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Anilu_777 said:
    I didn't know there was a way to force an airpod update.  Can you share how to do that?  I'd love to know so I can update as soon as they fix this (I assume they will fix this).
  • Reply 13 of 21
    fred1 said:
    Anilu_777 said:

I didn't know there was a way to force an airpod update.  Is there a setting or a trick to force an update?  I'd love to know so I can update as soon as they fix this (I assume they will fix this).
    meterestnz
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Well dang.  That's...unfortunate.  Guess I'll wait.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Well dang.  That's...unfortunate.  Guess I'll wait.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    fred1 said:
    Anilu_777 said:

I didn't know there was a way to force an airpod update.  Is there a setting or a trick to force an update?  I'd love to know so I can update as soon as they fix this (I assume they will fix this).
    I wouldn’t call it a forced update, but here’s how to update the firmware on the AirPods:

1. Plug your charging case in.

2. Make sure your AirPods are in the case.

3. Place the iPhone your AirPods are connected to near the charging case.

It might take a while, but it’ll happen.  

• Reply 17 of 21
    Anilu_777 said:
    My AirPods Pro automatically updated. Is there a separate setting to prevent this from happening again? EDIT: Just confirmed with Apple Support that "Both Beats and AirPods firmware versions are automatically updated when they’re paired with an audio device using iOS 10 or newer. If you’d like to see this change in the future, we encourage you to submit feedback to our engineering teams."
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 18 of 21
    fred1 said:
    fred1 said:
    Anilu_777 said:

I wouldn’t call it a forced update, but here’s how to update the firmware on the AirPods:

1. Plug your charging case in.

2. Make sure your AirPods are in the case.

3. Place the iPhone your AirPods are connected to near the charging case.

It might take a while, but it’ll happen.  

Just FYI, confirmed with Apple Support that "Both Beats and AirPods firmware versions are automatically updated when they’re paired with an audio device using iOS 10 or newer. If you’d like to see this change in the future, we encourage you to submit feedback to our engineering teamsteams here: http://apple.co/Feedback"
  • Reply 19 of 21
    dk49dk49 Posts: 267member
    I feel the noise cancellation isn't as good even with the older firmware. My Airpods Pro aren't able to block out even the ticking sound of a mechanical clock! In fact they aren't able to completely block out or reduce to a whisper ANY sound. I don't know if it's just me or everyone feels the same? I am running firmware version 2B588. Is there any firmware update after this (barring the 2C54)?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    I’m just grumpy that Apple have confirmed they are meant to hiss when using noise cancelling or transparent mode. I’m getting used to it, but switching to off to remove the hiss is tedious.