Rumor: 'iPhone 12' will look like a slimmer, taller iPhone 11

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sflocal said:
    lkrupp said:
    Come on Apple...let's do USB-C this year too. Fingers crossed.
    Why? Because it’s the current “standard”? Because everybody else uses it? What makes it a must-do-or-else for you?
    Exactly - the obsession with a switch to USB-C is just another manifestation of “I want it because it’s new”, while not actually spending any time thinking thinking of the ramifications (or why USB-C would be a terrible choice for iPhone, aside from bringing about zero benefits).
    While I prefer the durability of the lightning connector, it’s generally known that the reason Apple went to lightning is because USBc was not out yet and they had to get off that horrible 30-pin adapter.

well it’s out now and truth be told, it’s time for USBc to be the de facto connector.  It’s already in the iPad, it’s on Macs now.  It just makes sense.  Sure, people will complain like they did the old connectors, but in the end it will be better.

So Apple should chase after the latest fad connector?
    From serial to parallel to USB-A to USB-mini ... and now ...  drum roll ...  USB-C ....

I would suggest instead of chasing after the latest "standard" that Apple continue basing their choice on that which best serves the needs of its general consumer base -- who doesn't much care what the latest standard is...   But they do have a bunch of lightening connectors laying around their home and automobile.

Perhaps the question should be:   How much longer till wireless charging and headphones are cost effective and pervasive and does Apple need to introduce an intermediary connector till then?
  • Reply 22 of 56
    Just upgraded from iPhone 6s Plus to iPhone 11 Pro Max. OOOOOO MMMMMM GGGGGG !!! Best decision EVER :) 
    👍
  • Reply 23 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    bageljoey said:
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 
    Because you know the complaining from the general public will be front page news for two weeks...

... And justifiably so...
    The general, non-technical public doesn't give a damn about technology or trying to keep up with it.   It is only concerned with:  "What does this thing do for me?".   Not only does USB-C do nothing for them but instead means they have to buy a bunch of new charging cords.  So no, they won't be happy.  
    sflocal said:
    lkrupp said:
    Why? Because it’s the current “standard”? Because everybody else uses it? What makes it a must-do-or-else for you?
    Exactly - the obsession with a switch to USB-C is just another manifestation of “I want it because it’s new”, while not actually spending any time thinking thinking of the ramifications (or why USB-C would be a terrible choice for iPhone, aside from bringing about zero benefits).
    While I prefer the durability of the lightning connector, it’s generally known that the reason Apple went to lightning is because USBc was not out yet and they had to get off that horrible 30-pin adapter.

well it’s out now and truth be told, it’s time for USBc to be the de facto connector.  It’s already in the iPad, it’s on Macs now.  It just makes sense.  Sure, people will complain like they did the old connectors, but in the end it will be better.

From serial to parallel to USB-A to USB-mini ... and now ...  drum roll ...  USB-C ....

I would suggest instead of chasing after the latest "standard" that Apple continue basing their choice on that which best serves the needs of its general consumer base -- who doesn't much care what the latest standard is...   But they do have a bunch of lightening connectors laying around their home and automobile.

Perhaps the question should be:   How much longer till wireless charging and headphones are cost effective and pervasive and does Apple need to introduce an intermediary connector till then?
    It amazes me how unapologetically wrong you always are. Others have actually made some valid points against USB-C, albeit a myopic view that isn't looking at the whole picture, the industry, or its benefits, but you always go off in some other direction that misses the point entirely. It's almost like you're actively trying to make the stupidist comments on every forum thread. This is some sort of bad version of Brewster's Millions?
    edited January 2020 tmayMplsPmuthuk_vanalingamfastasleep
  • Reply 24 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,323member

Why? Personally, I have Lightning cables everywhere that I'd rather not replace for absolutely no benefit whatsoever.
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 25 of 56
    lkrupp said:
    In a word...compatibility. Period.

Compatibility with what, exactly?
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 26 of 56
    All of what we need is USB C! 
  • Reply 27 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:

With the rest of the smartphone market, as well as the rest of Apple’s product line.

As mentioned above the lightning connector had *many* clear advantages over the old 30pin connector. While a bit painful, the switch was necessary and good. A switch from lightning to USB C is much less clear cut. Apple has clearly said ‘USB C is the future.’ They have switched the iPad Pro to USB C, so it would make a lot of sense to switch the rest of their iOS products to USB C. (Of course, there’s more than a bit of hypocrisy in the fact that they continue to keep a USB A connector for their iPhones and iPads 4 years after they claimed USB A connectors were obsolete and removed them from the MacBooks.)  Switching would allow a universal adaptor and cable for all ios devices, allow charging with MacBooks without an adaptor and also make charging cables compatible across the industry. 

The downside is that the lightning cable is arguably a better connector - it’s a single flat plug rather than a coaxial type design, meaning it’s less likely to get debris stuck in it and easier to clean out when it does. It’s also more robust than the USB C connector, and Apple has never really cared about industry compatibility with things like charging cables. 
  • Reply 28 of 56
    The general, non-technical public doesn't give a damn about technology or trying to keep up with it.   It is only concerned with:  "What does this thing do for me?".   Not only does USB-C do nothing for them but instead means they have to buy a bunch of new charging cords.  So no, they won't be happy. 

Non-technical public:  What does this do for us?

Techies: You can use just one charger and cable to charge your MacBook whatever and your iPhone, and iPad Pro if you have one.

Non-technical public:  Just one cable and charger for all my devices?  I'm sold.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 29 of 56
    GeorgeBMac said:

My MacBook Air and iPad Pro are using USB-C, and you're going to call that a "fad connector"???

fastasleep
  • Reply 30 of 56
    jdb8167jdb8167 Posts: 626member
    bageljoey said:
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 
    Because you know the complaining from the general public will be front page news for two weeks...

It seems that no one remembers the outrage that lasted for months when Apple changed from the unwieldy 30-pin connector to lightning. Every technically inclined person could see the advantage of the new connector but the average user went out their minds. The accusations that Apple was only doing this to make some imaginary profits was pretty nuts. I think Apple learned a lesson from this and is very wary of switching again. They got away with it with the iPad Pro because the target user of those devices isn't the average consumer.

I suspect that the predictions of a port-less iPhone are more likely than a switch to USB-C despite how much I and other technically inclined users want it.

Edit: Another thought: The number of iPhone users now vs. 2012 when they moved away from the 30-pin connector is huge. According to Staista 44.5 million vs. 105.2 million in the US alone.
    edited January 2020 Soli
  • Reply 31 of 56
    Soli said:
    bageljoey said:
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 

sflocal said:
    lkrupp said:

It amazes me how unapologetically wrong you always are. Others have actually made some valid points against USB-C, albeit a myopic view that isn't looking at the whole picture, the industry, or its benefits, but you always go off in some other direction that misses the point entirely. It's almost like you're actively trying to make the stupidist comments on every forum thread. This is some sort of bad version of Brewster's Millions?

I you don't agree with something I said you should give your reasons (if you have any).  Your petulant whining makes you look stupid.
  • Reply 32 of 56
    ausmac said:

Techies: You can use just one charger and cable to charge your MacBook whatever and your iPhone, and iPad Pro if you have one.

Non-technical public:  Just one cable and charger for all my devices?  I'm sold.

Except most don't have a MacBook or iPad Pro.   All they have are iPhones and iPads in their family -- so an iPhone with USB-C connector is a pain in the butt that forces them to buy new cables but has no benefit.
    mike1
  • Reply 33 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    ausmac said:

Except most don't have a MacBook or iPad Pro.   All they have are iPhones and iPads in their family -- so an iPhone with USB-C connector is a pain in the butt that forces them to buy new cables but has no benefit.
    LOL This is exactly what Jdb8167 is talking about. “Most” didn’t have an iPhone 5 when the Lightning was introduced to replace the 30-pin iPod Dock Connecter in 2012, so silly people like you said that Apple is only making things worse for customers and claiming they’re only doing it to sell more adapters, as if that’s where Apple makes the bulk of their profits and that keeping a single connector for a decade across 3 product categories is some sort of “gotcha,” especially when cellphone vendors were notorious for changing up the charging plug on devices and including a permanently attached PSU.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 34 of 56
    Soli said:
    ausmac said:

LOL This is exactly what Jdb8167 is talking about. “Most” didn’t have an iPhone 5 when the Lightning was introduced to replace the 30-pin iPod Dock Connecter in 2012, so silly people like you said that Apple is only making things worse for customers and claiming they’re only doing it to sell more adapters, as if that’s where Apple makes the bulk of their profits and that keeping a single connector for a decade across 3 product categories is some sort of “gotcha,” especially when cellphone vendors were notorious for changing up the charging plug on devices and including a permanently attached PSU.

Actually silly people like you neglect to mention that Apple gave explicit reasons for replacing the 30 pin connector.   It was blocking them from moving forward with newer and much improved iPhone designs.   Or, did you not know that? 

But, you might cut back on your lies about what I have said.   They make you look even sillier than you are because if you have to lie to make your point then you obviously don't have a point to make.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,121member
    ausmac said:
    I would like a slightly smaller screen and a thicker body (more battery capacity).  This obsession with trying to be as slim as possible is driving me nuts 
    What obsession? The iPhone 6 (released in 2014) was 6.9mm thick, and iPhones have been getting progressively thicker ever since. 

This article is just a rumor, but even if it turns out to be true, it would be the first time in years that new iPhones were thinner than the previous generation, and at 7.4mm they still wouldn’t be as thin as models from several years ago (6, 6s or 7). It would be .1mm thinner than an iPhone 8.

But I agree that a smaller screen would be preferable, and if the phone had to be thicker to facilitate that I’d accept that compromise. Taller screens are harder to use because your thumb can’t reach the top of the screen, and you only really benefit from the tallness when you use them in landscape mode, which I seldom do. For reading and typing in portrait mode, wider is better than taller.
  • Reply 36 of 56
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:

With the rest of the smartphone market, as well as the rest of Apple’s product line.

As mentioned above the lightning connector had *many* clear advantages over the old 30pin connector. While a bit painful, the switch was necessary and good. A switch from lightning to USB C is much less clear cut. Apple has clearly said ‘USB C is the future.’ They have switched the iPad Pro to USB C, so it would make a lot of sense to switch the rest of their iOS products to USB C. (Of course, there’s more than a bit of hypocrisy in the fact that they continue to keep a USB A connector for their iPhones and iPads 4 years after they claimed USB A connectors were obsolete and removed them from the MacBooks.)  Switching would allow a universal adaptor and cable for all ios devices, allow charging with MacBooks without an adaptor and also make charging cables compatible across the industry. 

The downside is that the lightning cable is arguably a better connector - it’s a single flat plug rather than a coaxial type design, meaning it’s less likely to get debris stuck in it and easier to clean out when it does. It’s also more robust than the USB C connector, and Apple has never really cared about industry compatibility with things like charging cables. 
    But what compatibility is necessary? If you're talking about the end that plugs into the power adaptor, I don't particularly care if or when that switch is made from USB A. If you're talking about the connector in the phone, I don't need it to be compatible with other smartphones or a Mac or an iPad. Those devices don't connect to each other. And USB C to Lightning cables already exist if I want to charge from a newer Mac.

As you said, the Lighting connector is a better connector.

• Reply 37 of 56
    jdb8167 said:
    bageljoey said:
    Yes, yes and yes !
    Why isn’t  it already ? 

It seems that no one remembers the outrage that lasted for months when Apple changed from the unwieldy 30-pin connector to lightning. Every technically inclined person could see the advantage of the new connector but the average user went out their minds. The accusations that Apple was only doing this to make some imaginary profits was pretty nuts. I think Apple learned a lesson from this and is very wary of switching again. They got away with it with the iPad Pro because the target user of those devices isn't the average consumer.

I suspect that the predictions of a port-less iPhone are more likely than a switch to USB-C despite how much I and other technically inclined users want it.

Edit: Another thought: The number of iPhone users now vs. 2012 when they moved away from the 30-pin connector is huge. According to Staista 44.5 million vs. 105.2 million in the US alone.

At least there were technical advantages in Lightning over 30-pin connectors. Digital audio, reversible, allowed waterproof to be added, higher transfer speed, faster charging. Just to name the few I can recall. Three were probably more. Nobody has explained what advantages the USB C connector has over Lightning.
    jcs2305GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 38 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,965member
    mike1 said:
    MplsP said:
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:

But what compatibility is necessary? If you're talking about the end that plugs into the power adaptor, I don't particularly care if or when that switch is made from USB A. If you're talking about the connector in the phone, I don't need it to be compatible with other smartphones or a Mac or an iPad. Those devices don't connect to each other. And USB C to Lightning cables already exist if I want to charge from a newer Mac.

As you said, the Lighting connector is a better connector.

Actually necessary? Probably none. It’s almost exclusively convenience - like I said, it’s much less clear cut. The big advantage to consumers is that as Android switches to USB C it would mean a single connector for all smart phones as well as a single connector for all iOS devices. This is an advantage of convenience, more than a technical one; for 99+% of consumers I’m not aware of any technical advantage of the USB C connector. 
  • Reply 39 of 56
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Apple rather not spend the money to re-tool for a new form factor, so the worst iPhone design will continue into the future and beyond...
  • Reply 40 of 56
    mandoist said:
    Dear Apple, I already have a computer at home; three of them in fact. So just give me a damn phone already!!
    Are you asking for a free iPhone because you bought some Macs? Wow.
    Soli