Rumor: 'iPhone 12' will look like a slimmer, taller iPhone 11

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 56
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,446member
    emoeller said:
    Nope, no cable connector, wireless charging only....

eliminates a dust/water problem
    further reduces jail breaks
    increases internal space, for larger battery and improves options for internal layouts
    bluetooth 5.x

Smartconnector -just dots on the case.

Now Apple/Intel have basically bent the USB alliance to their will, I wonder if they'll launch a new joint proprietary connector.
    A flush magnetically aligned optical and electrical connector would suit both of them, model on the smart connector only used on iPad to date. with doughnut dots with optical in the middle.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 42 of 56
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

increases internal space, for larger battery and improves options for internal layouts
    bluetooth 5.x
    Smart connector -just dots on the case.
    I’m in favor of it, but I don’t think we are there yet. I believe inductive chanting will need to become considerably more common, especially in automobiles, before it’s a viable option for Apple.

I’ve also been vocal about wanting Apple to stop including the PSU, and reasoned that: 1) far too many people tend to have plenty of 5W chargers that it’s adding unnecessary waste to supply them with every device purchase, 2) they could market how they are being more green by not including the PSU that doesn’t easily go bad all while being able to use smaller boxes that would allow them to store and ship more iPhones within a given area, and 3) and then could easily charge a nominal fee at checkout for those that do need one. With inductive chargers I am no longer having PVC-free Lightning cables wear out on me so I could even do without the cable, but that’s still just a wish and not some thing I expect to happen anytime soon.
    edited January 2020
  • Reply 43 of 56
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,339member
    ausmac said:
    ... And justifiably so...
    The general, non-technical public doesn't give a damn about technology or trying to keep up with it.   It is only concerned with:  "What does this thing do for me?".   Not only does USB-C do nothing for them but instead means they have to buy a bunch of new charging cords.  So no, they won't be happy. 

Non-technical public:  What does this do for us?

Techies: You can use just one charger and cable to charge your MacBook whatever and your iPhone, and iPad Pro if you have one.

Non-technical public:  Just one cable and charger for all my devices?  I'm sold.
    What if the macs and windows machines that you currently use aren't usb-c?  I think that is true for a lot of the non tech public. If multiple USB-C devices were common in as many households as USB-A I would agree with the switch... that simply isn't the case.

Even if you educated all of these folks they would still have a bunch of lightning cables laying around the they would prefer to use. I would actually say that there are more people using a combination of a wireless charging pads and lightning cable to charge and connect than USB-C at this point IMHO.
  • Reply 44 of 56
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,997member
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

bluetooth 5.x
    I’m in favor of it, but I don’t think we are there yet. I believe inductive chanting will need to become considerably more common, especially in automobiles, before it’s a viable option for Apple.

I’ve also been vocal about wanting Apple to stop including the PSU, and reasoned that: 1) far too many people tend to have plenty of 5W chargers that it’s adding unnecessary waste to supply them with every device purchase, 2) they could market how they are being more green by not including the PSU that doesn’t easily go bad all while being able to use smaller boxes that would allow them to store and ship more iPhones within a given area, and 3) and then could easily charge a nominal fee at checkout for those that do need one. With inductive chargers I am no longer having PVC-free Lightning cables wear out on me so I could even do without the cable, but that’s still just a wish and not some thing I expect to happen anytime soon.
    A big reason we will continue to need some sort of a cable is CarPlay. CarPlay does have a wireless spec but it's incredibly uncommon. When I replaced the radio in our minivan last summer it would have been at least an extra $300 to get one that included wireless CarPlay. Not to mention all of the cars on the road with wired CarPlay installed. 

As far as wireless charging goes, it is marginally more convenient not to plug your phone in (seriously, are people that lazy?) but it also suffers from several significant drawbacks. It's slower. It's significantly less efficient. If you have the LifeProof case in you can barely charge. If you have a pop socket on you can't charge. you can't use a wireless charger while you're holding your phone. It is very particular about positioning (I tried using my son's wireless charger for a couple weeks and twice I woke up to a phone that wasn't charged because it wasn't on the charging mat just right.

I'd be fine if Apple didn't include the charger but let you get one for free or for a nominal cost with the purchase of an iPhone. If you needed one you could get it but it would save a lot of extra waste. 
  • Reply 45 of 56
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    jcs2305 said:
    ausmac said:
    The general, non-technical public doesn't give a damn about technology or trying to keep up with it.   It is only concerned with:  "What does this thing do for me?".   Not only does USB-C do nothing for them but instead means they have to buy a bunch of new charging cords.  So no, they won't be happy. 

Techies: You can use just one charger and cable to charge your MacBook whatever and your iPhone, and iPad Pro if you have one.

Non-technical public:  Just one cable and charger for all my devices?  I'm sold.
    What if the macs and windows machines that you currently use aren't usb-c?  I think that is true for a lot of the non tech public. If multiple USB-C devices were common in as many households as USB-A I would agree with the switch... that simply isn't the case.

Even if you educated all of these folks they would still have a bunch of lightning cables laying around the they would prefer to use. I would actually say that there are more people using a combination of a wireless charging pads and lightning cable to charge and connect than USB-C at this point IMHO.
    MacBooks have been USB-C for nearly four years now, MagSafe will rapidly disappear over the next few years. Don't most Windows laptops use USB-C for charging as well these days? Android devices? It's not like any of those devices old or new can use Lightning.

Old cables "laying around" is a poor argument for anything. They can always get Lightning to USB-C adapters for those cables if that's really a big deal.
    Soli
  • Reply 46 of 56
    MplsP said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

bluetooth 5.x

A big reason we will continue to need some sort of a cable is CarPlay. CarPlay does have a wireless spec but it's incredibly uncommon. When I replaced the radio in our minivan last summer it would have been at least an extra $300 to get one that included wireless CarPlay. Not to mention all of the cars on the road with wired CarPlay installed. 

As far as wireless charging goes, it is marginally more convenient not to plug your phone in (seriously, are people that lazy?) but it also suffers from several significant drawbacks. It's slower. It's significantly less efficient. If you have the LifeProof case in you can barely charge. If you have a pop socket on you can't charge. you can't use a wireless charger while you're holding your phone. It is very particular about positioning (I tried using my son's wireless charger for a couple weeks and twice I woke up to a phone that wasn't charged because it wasn't on the charging mat just right.

I'd be fine if Apple didn't include the charger but let you get one for free or for a nominal cost with the purchase of an iPhone. If you needed one you could get it but it would save a lot of extra waste. 
    1) I rented a mid-level car last year that came with CarPlay (and Android Auto). really no other extras you'd typically see with those additions, like power seats. I think a lot of that is because of the requirement for the built-in backup camera which means a display in the dash which means that an infotainment center is probably pretty simple, even if it's an older and/or cheaper HW system, but I was still happy to see it included.

2) it's not a big effort to plug in the cable every time, but there are countless things you can say are "marginally more convenient" that are prefer. I like being able to drop my Watch onto a charger during my daily ablutions instead of having to fiddle with a small Lightning or micro-USB port to charge it—and that's something I do only once or twice. day unlike when I'm using my car around town. Of course, I don't necessarily have to charge every time I get in and out so having wireless CarPlay so it could stay in my pocket would be great. My current vehicle was chosen around by first eliminating trucks without CarPlay, and my next one will be around vehicles that have wireless CarPlay (save for the Tesla CyberTruck I put a deposit on).

3) Cases can be a pain, but since I don't use a case I don't mind it. Plus, I use an Anker combo-charger for my iPhone and Watch that will charge my iPhone at 7.5W (even though I don't need it as it sits there at night), which is 50% higher than the dinky 5W charger iPhones come with.
  • Reply 47 of 56
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,446member
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

bluetooth 5.x

Given the whole reason for the USB-connector mandate was to avoid e-waste from charger brick it is nuts they are still included with every phone. Getting worse as we are now building USB-C ports into workplaces and homes some times even direct DC from Solar/Battery. As you say Wireless Charging is getting close to tipping point availability.  Certainly seeing were ever there are young people.

Soli
  • Reply 48 of 56
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

bluetooth 5.x

Given the whole reason for the USB-connector mandate was to avoid e-waste from charger brick it is nuts they are still included with every phone. Getting worse as we are now building USB-C ports into workplaces and homes some times even direct DC from Solar/Battery. As you say Wireless Charging is getting close to tipping point availability.  Certainly seeing were ever there are young people. 
    Speaking of direct DC, I've tried to look into how designing a home with solar and batteries and then DC power through the home might work. We waste too much energy with converting from AC to DC, but it's understandable on a typical power grid, but with energy-sufficient homes as standard we could avoid the DC to AC to DC with direct DC plugs. I wonder if a 100W USB-C PD would be enough for something like a vacuum cleaner, but a new outlet type specifically for DC may happen down the road.

In the car it's ridiculous that the only way I can charge my MBP is by using an investor from DC to AC just to use a large PSU to convert it back to DC. Recently—and I'm a little embarrassed by how long it took—I realized that I can order a longer USB-C cable and avoid the thick AC cable and the awkward PSU in the middle of the chain. I was institutionalized by Apple not making the DC end pluggable until USB-C.

I think this will take decades to work out and I suspect that it will be a DC power-only connector with no data, which is a reason why I avoid any unknown USB ports of any kind.
  • Reply 49 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:
    ausmac said:

MacBooks have been USB-C for nearly four years now, MagSafe will rapidly disappear over the next few years. Don't most Windows laptops use USB-C for charging as well these days? Android devices? It's not like any of those devices old or new can use Lightning.

Old cables "laying around" is a poor argument for anything. They can always get Lightning to USB-C adapters for those cables if that's really a big deal.

Not to the people who have them laying around --- but would now have to buy new ones.  A geek might happily throw them in the box with their old parallel cables and take joy in moving on.   But most people would say:   "Damned Apple -- always looking for ways to get money out of me!" (Or something else derogatory about Apple). 

There was outrage when Apple went to the lightening connector.  But there it wasn't just to stay current with technology but to add functional improvements.  There is no such justification for swapping Lightening for USB-C.   (Although I heard a rumor somewhere that pending European rules could force everybody to a common connector -- such as USB-C).

Personally, I think Apple is best off staying with Lightening until Wireless charging, headphones/Airpods and wireless CarPlay are pervasive enough to make the port unnecessary.  But then, as a systems analyst, it was drilled into me that form always follows function.  That function drives everything,.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    yuck9yuck9 Posts: 112member
    lkrupp said:
    Come on Apple...let's do USB-C this year too. Fingers crossed.
    Why? Because it’s the current “standard”? Because everybody else uses it? What makes it a must-do-or-else for you?
    Exactly - the obsession with a switch to USB-C is just another manifestation of “I want it because it’s new”, while not actually spending any time thinking thinking of the ramifications (or why USB-C would be a terrible choice for iPhone, aside from bringing about zero benefits).
    Yes it would. No more 40.00 lightning cable.  can't have that. No money to be made using usb c.
  • Reply 50 of 56
    mike1 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Come on Apple...let's do USB-C this year too. Fingers crossed.
    Why? Because it’s the current “standard”? Because everybody else uses it? What makes it a must-do-or-else for you?
    In a word...compatibility. Period.

Compatibility with what, exactly?
    If you have to ask then obviously you've been living under a rock. One day you'll figure it out...maybe.
  • Reply 52 of 56
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,450member
    jcs2305 said:
    ausmac said:

Not to the people who have them laying around --- but would now have to buy new ones.  A geek might happily throw them in the box with their old parallel cables and take joy in moving on.   But most people would say:   "Damned Apple -- always looking for ways to get money out of me!" (Or something else derogatory about Apple). 

There was outrage when Apple went to the lightening connector.  But there it wasn't just to stay current with technology but to add functional improvements.  There is no such justification for swapping Lightening for USB-C.   (Although I heard a rumor somewhere that pending European rules could force everybody to a common connector -- such as USB-C).

Personally, I think Apple is best off staying with Lightening until Wireless charging, headphones/Airpods and wireless CarPlay are pervasive enough to make the port unnecessary.  But then, as a systems analyst, it was drilled into me that form always follows function.  That function drives everything,.
    Blah blah blah... you skipped the part right after the part you bolted where I said you can get adapters for all those cables, and cheap. You can get several for a buck or two a piece in a pack on Amazon. I just got one to convert a lightning plug for some wireless headphones that use micro-USB. IT WORKS FINE.

Yes, people that don’t know any better may think Apple is doing it to rip them off. But in this case it’s the opposite, as USB-C is standard and requires no MFi or anything else. If Apple held stuff back because of potential outrage from ignorant customers, we would literally get nothing done. 
    Soli
  • Reply 53 of 56
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    jcs2305 said:
    ausmac said:

Blah blah blah... you skipped the part right after the part you bolted where I said you can get adapters for all those cables, and cheap. You can get several for a buck or two a piece in a pack on Amazon. I just got one to convert a lightning plug for some wireless headphones that use micro-USB. IT WORKS FINE.

Yes, people that don’t know any better may think Apple is doing it to rip them off. But in this case it’s the opposite, as USB-C is standard and requires no MFi or anything else. If Apple held stuff back because of potential outrage from ignorant customers, we would literally get nothing done. 

No, I didn't skip it -- I ignored it.  Few non-technical people are going to be any happier over being forced to buy a converter than are happy over being forced to buy a new cord.

And, why are they being forced to buy it?   Simply so that you can have the latest & the greatest?   I doubt they will be persuaded.
  • Reply 54 of 56
    GG1GG1 Posts: 483member
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

bluetooth 5.x

Speaking of direct DC, I've tried to look into how designing a home with solar and batteries and then DC power through the home might work. We waste too much energy with converting from AC to DC, but it's understandable on a typical power grid, but with energy-sufficient homes as standard we could avoid the DC to AC to DC with direct DC plugs. I wonder if a 100W USB-C PD would be enough for something like a vacuum cleaner, but a new outlet type specifically for DC may happen down the road.

In the car it's ridiculous that the only way I can charge my MBP is by using an investor from DC to AC just to use a large PSU to convert it back to DC. Recently—and I'm a little embarrassed by how long it took—I realized that I can order a longer USB-C cable and avoid the thick AC cable and the awkward PSU in the middle of the chain. I was institutionalized by Apple not making the DC end pluggable until USB-C.

I think this will take decades to work out and I suspect that it will be a DC power-only connector with no data, which is a reason why I avoid any unknown USB ports of any kind.
    I looked into this for a future off-the-grid house about 10 years ago. Not many DC appliances existed back then, but I discovered that boat/yacht technology uses DC power distribution (12/24 V), so there are DC lighting and appliances available. A quick check for "DC refrigerator" turned up a lot more companies than I expected, including some marketed for DC solar applications (http://www.geinnovations.net/solarrefrigerator.html).
    Soli
  • Reply 55 of 56
    GG1 said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    Soli said:
    mattinoz said:
    emoeller said:

bluetooth 5.x

I looked into this for a future off-the-grid house about 10 years ago. Not many DC appliances existed back then, but I discovered that boat/yacht technology uses DC power distribution (12/24 V), so there are DC lighting and appliances available. A quick check for "DC refrigerator" turned up a lot more companies than I expected, including some marketed for DC solar applications (http://www.geinnovations.net/solarrefrigerator.html).
    Nice point about looking at products made for boats. ✌️
  • Reply 56 of 56
    ausmac said:
    I would like a slightly smaller screen and a thicker body (more battery capacity).  This obsession with trying to be as slim as possible is driving me nuts 
    Actually I believe iPhones have been getting slightly thicker since the iPhone 7. I know the 11 pro is slightly thicker and heavier than the XS was, and my 11 is noticeably thicker than my wife's 7 Plus.