New iPad Pro, 'iPhone SE 2' and more -- what to expect from Apple in 2020

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Apple looks like it's going to have a busy year, with updates to nearly its entire product line. Here's what we're expecting Apple to release -- or at least announce -- in 2020.

Tim Cook on stage at WWDC in 2019
Tim Cook on stage at WWDC in 2019

Last year was just peculiar. Pretty much all the usual hardware announcements were pushed out as press releases, while Apple concentrated on its year of services. Now we've got everything from television to a credit card, though, the rest of 2020 is shaping up to be a more familiar year.

There are no more entirely new services to come in 2020, and we're unlikely to see the Apple Car. But in between services and the car, there is an entire range of products and hardware updates that you can reasonably expect Apple to bring out.

Certain

It is as certain as it possibly can be that September is going to see the launch of the "iPhone 12," but actually even that isn't entirely as clear cut as usual.

There are strong rumors that while Apple will do a September show, it might keep back one of its new iPhones to December or even into early 2021. That would be less Apple's desire to build suspense, and more its inability to build enough iPhones with the faster mmWave version of 5G.

The big feature of the 2020 "iPhone 12" will be 5G

Then, too, we're so used to there being three iPhones announced - a so-called cheap one, a regular iPhone and an extra large-screen one - that any deviation from that is surprising. We may well be surprised. Analyst Ming-Chi Kuo expects there to be four new iPhones instead.

He specifically claimed that the four would launch at the end of this year, and that all four would feature 5G.

While Apple has yet to say it will include 5G in this year's iPhones, it will. Qualcomm all but admitted it, and every reliable source is certain. There was also the issue that Apple would be coming late to the 5G party, though now that we're into 2020, it doesn't seem as if anyone else is really having giant success.

That's because the technology is new, but also because you can have the best 5G phone in the world and its extra speed is useless without a 5G network. Cell firms are rolling out 5G to various parts of the country, and in various forms, so maybe Apple's picking its moment well.

Apple Watch

You can expect an Apple Watch Series 6 to be revealed at the September iPhone event.

It's likely to be faster and some reports say it will have improved water resistance.
Recent Apple patents have included ones where the Digital Crown has been replaced by a small, flat, touch-sensitive panel, and that would surely increase the water proofing, but there's every chance that this is some years away.

In 2019, Kevin Lynch announced watchOS 6
In 2019, Kevin Lynch announced watchOS 6

For now, it'll be interesting to see if any further progress has been made with the always-on feature that debuted with the Apple Watch Series 5. There have been mixed reports of how it's affected battery life, so improvements and refinements here would be welcomed.

Then, too, there is the Apple Watch App Store. That was also introduced in September 2019, and is a clear sign of Apple's moves to ultimately make the Watch entirely independent of the iPhone. Perhaps it's too early to tell, but the Watch's App Store doesn't appear to have ignited the developer world yet.

We may not have to wait until September for some new Apple Watch hardware, though. Apple is reportedly planning a PRODUCT(RED) version of the Apple Watch Series 5.

A new iPad Pro

This is the one that we've been talking about the longest.

There will be a new iPad Pro, but it won't have 5G, not this year. Kuo does expect that a 5G model will follow in 2021.

The 2020 versions of the 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models are expected to look very much like their predecessors on the outside, but they will feature improved internal antennae. They're believed to employ an "LCP Soft Board," too, which is a flexible way of connecting components.

While the iPhone has been released in September for many years, there's no such traditional spot for the iPad Pro. The original 12.9-inch model from 2015 came out in November, as did the 2018 edition. Beyond that, we've seen models arrive in both March (2016) and June (2017).

Kuo reported late last year that he believed the next iPad Pro would be entering production by either the fourth quarter of 2019 or the first quarter of 2020.

Apple is expert in picking the right time to release a product and get it maximum attention -- it'll never release both a new iPhone and the Apple Car at the same event -- but it also chooses that time early. There's no benefit to keeping a product under wraps when it's finished and manufactured, so it's a decent bet that the new iPad Pro will be released in the first half of 2020.

A new low-cost iPhone

It's expected that this first half of the year will also see Apple release an "iPhone SE 2," although here it's less certainty, more very strong rumors that have been repeated for the last two years, and a dash of hope generated by Kuo's usually reliable reports.

Then, just as the company did when it launched the iPod touch, Apple knows the value of a cheaper iOS device for getting new customers into its ecosystem. The iPhone SE from 2016 still runs the latest iOS 13, but it's right on the edge of even Apple's commitment to support old devices. The 2015 iPhone 6 won't, for instance.

There's also a difference between able to run this year's iOS 14 and being able to run it well. It's not a leap to think that Apple will be thinking of a new device that can deliver Apple TV+, Apple Arcade, and Apple News+ well to people who can't or won't buy a regular new iPhone.

MacBook Pro

Put this under "certain" and "probably soon," too. At least one new updated model of MacBook Pro is coming, as evidenced by Apple filing an entry about it in the EEC.

That filing is a regulatory requirement so while the entry doesn't tell us any details, it does tell us for sure that a new model is coming.

A typically sombre, dour Craig Federighi at WWDC 2019
A typically sombre, dour Craig Federighi at WWDC 2019

There's no shortage of speculation over what it will be, though. The most likely -- backed up by Ming-Chi Kuo -- is that it will be a revision to the existing MacBook Pro 13-inch model.

If it is, the odds are strong that the major part of the revision will be that this machine will get the new keyboard that was introduced with the latest MacBook Pro 16-inch.

It's possible that the new model will also follow how that 16-inch machine replaced a 15-inch one. By reducing the bezels around the display and only fractionally increasing the size of the chassis, Apple was able to fit a 16-inch display into practically the same casing as the previous 15-inch one.

Kuo says that the 13-inch revision will debut in the first half of the year, and various other industry sources appear to back that up.

Other new Macs

We're heading deep into speculation, but Apple does now have four desktop Macs.

The Mac Pro is brand-new and we're not expecting any updates to the product for at least the first half of the year. If we get anything at all, it will likely be very late in 2020.

Similarly, the iMac 5K got what looked to be a small update on the surface in 2019, with a speed bump that proved to be much more significant than it seemed.

However, the Mac mini hasn't been updated since October 2018 -- and the iMac Pro since 2017. While there are no giant rumors about both, we'd put more stock in a Mac mini update than an iMac Pro one at this point. But, there are newer Intel processors suitable for both.

Apple may not be so reliant on Intel processors for much longer, though. It's so clear that Apple will move to ARM processors that even Intel expects it.

Reportedly, Intel executives think the ARM move may begin this year, and Ming-Chi Kuo has said the same thing.

Apple has of course said precisely nothing whatsoever about leaving Intel for ARM processors, so we can't know for sure what's happening or whether it really will happen in 2020.

Except we did get macOS Catalina last year. Its requirement for apps to be 64-bit has caused some problems and meant some firms left the Mac. Apple can argue that 64-bit apps are just generally better than 32-bit ones, but the mandate may be the first concrete sign that it is preparing the way for an ARM Mac which will be 64-bit with literally no option to run 32-bit legacy code -- and soon.

Apple Tags and an AirPower redux?

We do know that Apple has been working on what it's believed to call "Apple Tags." This is a device that is meant to help you track your devices, and is in every way like the existing third-party Tile system.

Evidence for that was found within the code for iOS 13, so the fact that it didn't come out at the same time as that operating system update was a surprise.

AirPower
Apple's defunct AirPower charging mat.

More of a surprise is the possibility that Apple is returning to the idea of producing its own wireless charging mat. Following the demise of the promised AirPower mat that would charge three devices, Apple does appear to be planning a smaller one to release in the first half of 2020.

We surely got all the variations of AirPods that we possibly could in 2019, but all the signs are that Apple isn't stopping with those. It's unlikely that we will see another update in 2020 given that Apple can't keep up with demand now, but there are certainly more in the pipeline.

More certainties

If that mat appears strongly likely, and the Tags sound like they're ready, still the most certain of all Apple's 2020 updates are in software.

Apple has unveiled an updated Mac operating system in June and shipped it around September or October, ever year since Mac OS X Snow Leopard in 2009.

Similarly, it has announced an updated iOS release in June, and shipped around September or October, every year since iOS 4 in 2010.

So anything is possible, but you know Apple will show off -- and name -- macOS 10.16 at WWDC in June. It will show iOS 14 then, too, and also iPadOS 14 too.

Foresight and 20/20 hindsight

There's no equivalent this year of the Mac Pro, the Mac that everyone was waiting to see -- even if few people could really afford or justify.

Equally, there's no big Apple Card or Apple TV+ launch coming, that we know of anyway.

Yet Apple does have profit forecasts to maintain, and it does have areas in its lineup that need refreshing. So we're pretty certain to see a new iPad Pro, new MacBook Pro, new Apple Watch and undoubtedly the new 5G iPhones.

The question is just what else Apple is going to bring out for 2020.

Keep up with AppleInsider by downloading the AppleInsider app for iOS, and follow us on YouTube, Twitter @appleinsider and Facebook for live, late-breaking coverage. You can also check out our official Instagram account for exclusive photos.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I keep asking if 'slave' and portable rechargable HomePods make sense, along with some kind of Dolby Surround implementation for AppleTV/AirPlay2, as 5.1 and multiple airport express wifi audio connections now seem supported...? I might hope for an external analogue minijack input as well...
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 2 of 9
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,168member
    It’s depressing what got relegated to “Other new macs”.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    thttht Posts: 5,450member
    Hardware I’m interested in buying in 2020:

1. Rumored iPad Pro glass back design. Hoping for miniLED, 8 GB RAM and overlapping windows in an iPadOS update myself.
    2. Size of notch in Fall lineup (prefer no notch) and the new industrial design. My 6S Plus is getting hitchy and the race is on between getting too tired of it and waiting for October.
    3. New iMac industrial design. They did a minimal update last year, without even a T2, hoping this means new industrial design in 2020.
    4. New Apple TV. Just updated to a set of AirPort disks and I’m ready to watch some movies from them. An Apple TV + FileBrowser.app looks like a nice combo.

Hardware I’m super curious about:
    1. ARM clamshells and desktops. A 16 core, evolved Lightning cores, at 4 GHz and 25 W has the potential to crush all other personal computer systems, in both single core and multi core performance. Apple being able to use iPad sized logic boards in personal computers could mean some crazy things: laptops with 4 mm keyboard travel, laptops with 20 hour runtimes, 64 to 128 core desktops, etc.
    2. Around-the-ear tin-can headphones. Haven’t used one since the Sony MDR-V600 in the 90s.
    3. AR glasses. I have zero interest in VR headsets, but AR glasses? I can see myself buying a $1000 pair if it has a wide field of view, status information (time, temperature), maps, so on and so forth.

Other things:
    1. Apple matches and exceeds MS’ recent goal of going carbon negative, removing all of their carbon emissions since the 70s.
    2. Onsite service for more and more Apple products
    3. Continuing ownership of recycling their own products, and using recycled products in their own products
    4. Entering the energy business
    5. Entering the vehicle business

• Reply 4 of 9
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    tht said:
    Hardware I’m interested in buying in 2020:

1. Rumored iPad Pro glass back design. Hoping for miniLED, 8 GB RAM and overlapping windows in an iPadOS update myself.
    2. Size of notch in Fall lineup (prefer no notch) and the new industrial design. My 6S Plus is getting hitchy and the race is on between getting too tired of it and waiting for October.
    3. New iMac industrial design. They did a minimal update last year, without even a T2, hoping this means new industrial design in 2020.
    4. New Apple TV. Just updated to a set of AirPort disks and I’m ready to watch some movies from them. An Apple TV + FileBrowser.app looks like a nice combo.

Hardware I’m super curious about:
    1. ARM clamshells and desktops. A 16 core, evolved Lightning cores, at 4 GHz and 25 W has the potential to crush all other personal computer systems, in both single core and multi core performance. Apple being able to use iPad sized logic boards in personal computers could mean some crazy things: laptops with 4 mm keyboard travel, laptops with 20 hour runtimes, 64 to 128 core desktops, etc.
    2. Around-the-ear tin-can headphones. Haven’t used one since the Sony MDR-V600 in the 90s.
    3. AR glasses. I have zero interest in VR headsets, but AR glasses? I can see myself buying a $1000 pair if it has a wide field of view, status information (time, temperature), maps, so on and so forth.

Other things:
    1. Apple matches and exceeds MS’ recent goal of going carbon negative, removing all of their carbon emissions since the 70s.
    2. Onsite service for more and more Apple products
    3. Continuing ownership of recycling their own products, and using recycled products in their own products
    4. Entering the energy business
    5. Entering the vehicle business

2020 HW
    1) fine, hope ya get the HW. Overlapping windows? I don't see that EVER happening on iOS. Now what I can see happening is next-gen split-view allowing three vertical apps in landscape or perhaps two apps to the left and one vertically to the other side and maybe even a quad app setup. But overlapping? Less likely than a touch-screen iMac  
    2) my SE seems fine, but whatever. No notch would be cool, but not happening
    3) you know as well as anyone Apple doesn't just update ID just to update ID. I don't see that happening, however there was the rumor a while back about removing the "chin" and going full glass front. Unlikely, but who knows.
    4) you're not actually counting on that are you?

the rest? no comment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I haven't bought a MBP since the 17" 2011 model. If Apple releases an ARM (w/ Rosetta) or dual ARM/X86 model, I'll pick it up. Have been running w/ MBPs at work for a few years now. It's good that Apple is making inroads in the Wintel environment.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 9
    cornchip said:
    2020 HW
    1) fine, hope ya get the HW. Overlapping windows? I don't see that EVER happening on iOS. Now what I can see happening is next-gen split-view allowing three vertical apps in landscape or perhaps two apps to the left and one vertically to the other side and maybe even a quad app setup. But overlapping? Less likely than a touch-screen iMac  
    2) my SE seems fine, but whatever. No notch would be cool, but not happening
    3) you know as well as anyone Apple doesn't just update ID just to update ID. I don't see that happening, however there was the rumor a while back about removing the "chin" and going full glass front. Unlikely, but who knows.
    4) you're not actually counting on that are you?
    1. Yes, doubtful that Apple will implement an overlapping window UI on the iPad. But, tiling UI systems have generally been not successful on the market, so biding my time. If Apple sells more 12.9” models, there will be ever more pressure from users to do it. For a 15” iPad, they’d almost have to do it. If they do external monitor support with extended display (instead of per app support), they’d have to do it. 

2. I was actually hopeful for no-notch as there was a rumor that the Apple had miniaturized the Face ID and front cam sensor cluster to a little bit bigger than a 4 mm bezel, but not looking likely at all any more. Thought I was going to skip over the haptic home button and notch era, but looking like notch it will be. My 6S Plus is fine too, basically the same hardware as an SE, but, VR apps, some modern apps, are really beginning to tax it. 

3. My biggest requirement or desire for replacing my 2013 iMac 27 is a 32” to 35” display. If the new iMac doesn’t have that, I’ll settle for a hopefully updated Mac mini with 10nm Intel desktop chip and a flat 21:9 34” 4.5k monitor or so. A new iMac 27” ID could convince me to go with that, but it basically has to be a new ID. I do hope they bump up the iMac monitor sizes to 24” and 32” if they do have a new ID. 

4. Counting on a A12X Apple TV? No. I have a 3rd gen Apple TV from what feels like 2013. Obviously long in the tooth. Apple has updated the Apple TV every 2 to 3 years. 2020 is the 3rd since the Apple TV 4K with the A10X. So an A12X or even A13X with 4 GB of RAM would be a nice to have. It’s cheap enough that it really doesn’t matter to me much though. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 9
    entropys said:
    Exactly.
    I have money allocated for a new iMac.
    I want all SSD and twice the resolution.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Ooh, a rumor for a new Apple TV. If there is 4 GB of RAM, sold!

https://9to5mac.com/2020/02/06/new-apple-tv-4k-hardware-appears-closer-to-launching-based-on-tvos-13-4-beta-code/
    New Apple TV 4K hardware appears closer to launching based on tvOS 13.4 beta code
    The codes reveal a new Apple TV with the codename “T1125”, while the current Apple TV 4K is named “J105a” and the HD model is “J42d”. The letter “T” at the beginning suggests that it’s an internal model, probably a prototype that hasn’t been completely finished yet.

We don’t know what exactly are the new features of this Apple TV, but the internal files of tvOS 13.4 suggest that the hardware is based on the arm64e architecture, the same used in both A12 and A13 Bionic chips — the current generation runs with the A10 Fusion chip. The maximum resolution supported will remain 4K with HDR support.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 9
    entropys said:
    Exactly.
    I have money allocated for a new iMac.
    I want all SSD and twice the resolution.
    Twice the resolution?

You mean 7241 x 4073, which has 2x the pixels? If the PPI is 220, it would make for a 38” monitor! Impressive. I think I’d take it. High resolution external monitors are very few and to non-existent. 
    watto_cobra