tvOS 13.4 developer beta code hints at new Apple TV 4K hardware

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2020
A reference spotted in the tvOS developer beta released on Wednesday suggests that there may be new Apple TV 4K hardware on the horizon.

Apple released developer betas on February 5, offering developer testers the first beta builds of iOS 13.4, iPadOS 13.4, tvOS 13.4, watchOS 6.2, and macOS 10.15.4. Inside those betas were a reference to new Apple TV hardware, tagged as "T1125."

The current Apple TV 4K is named J105a, and the Apple TV HD model number is "J42d." A report on Thursday by 9to5 Mac suggests that the letter T at the beginning implies that it is an internal model -- a prototype that isn't finished yet.

Currently, it's hard to say whether or not a new Apple TV is on the way, or what features it may have. It has been over two years since the fifth generation Apple TV launched, and an upgrade could see improved performance for Apple Arcade games.

While a new Apple TV could be released at a spring event, it remains to be seen whether or not Apple will be able to hold a spring event this year. The coronavirus outbreak has significantly slowed down product production.

As a general rule, Apple starts device production about 60 days before a Mac or iPad event, and three to four months before the September iPhone release event. With most of its major factories located in mainland China, an outbreak is potentially a threat to nearly every upcoming product release in 2020.

If Apple is planning on a March event, the production of new devices expected at that event would have needed to begin immediately after the Chinese New Year. Depending on the severity of the outbreak, the fall announcement could be threatened as production for the iPhone 12 would need to be in full swing by July.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Let’s hope any “new” TV 4K includes a redesigned remote that normal people can feel comfortable using.
    edited February 2020 king editor the grated_2beowulfschmidtbsimpsenITGUYINSDredgeminipagregoriusmunbeliever2Japheyzroger73
  • Reply 2 of 22
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Sold my last Apple TV today. 

Once LG got the Apple TV app there was no point. Anyway, there has been multiple discussions in AVS Forums that the Apple TV 4K hasn't implemented HDR10 and Dolby Vision properly (it's been wrong since release and Apple hasn't fixed it). The absolute black is actually gray.
    edited February 2020 unbeliever2
  • Reply 3 of 22
    The Apple TV box has a much better interface than any TV interface I have used to date. The Siri voice control, search for movie, actor, etc are quite easy to use on Apple box. Also the box as a Homekit hub, and can run other apps such as games, music, etc. Generally similar functionality on TV sets isn't comparable. If the only reason for Apple TV box is to watch movies, TV shows, then likely the LG/Samsung, etc can suffice.
    redgeminipaminicoffeeunbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 22
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    smaffei said:

Once LG got the Apple TV app there was no point. Anyway, there has been multiple discussions in AVS Forums that the Apple TV 4K hasn't implemented HDR10 and Dolby Vision properly (it's been wrong since release and Apple hasn't fixed it). The absolute black is actually gray.
    I’ll have to disagree. “It’s the UI, stupid.” I have not seen a  smartTV operating system with any kind of UI that makes any sense at all. Slower than molasses in January, busier than a one-legged man in an ass kicking contest. 
    edited February 2020 razorpitking editor the grateredgeminipaunbeliever2zroger73pscooter63DancingMonkeyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 22
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    Yeah definitely not a fan of the shape of the remote. I love the touchpad for swiping and rewind/forward scrubbing, and feel it's a better interface than the normal click buttons on most remotes, but the the shape of this thing is awful. I had to put a big rubberized sleeve on it to prevent slipping out of the hand, sliding under the cushions, etc.
    gregoriusmminicoffeepscooter63unbeliever2zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 22
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    lkrupp said:
    Let’s hope any “new” TV 4K includes a redesigned remote that normal people can feel comfortable using.

When setting up my TV 4K, I was pleasantly surprised to see that my Sony TV remote (with traditional buttons) now controls 99% of the Apple TV functionality. Ironically, the only thing it won't do is take it out of standby. For that I use the Control Center remote function on my phone.
    minicoffeeunbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 22
    FatmanFatman Posts: 513member
    A new remote would be very welcome - more ergonomic with a find me feature and dedicated mute and back buttons! And if the processor is updated, Apple would be smart to team with major developers to launch some ‘console quality’ titles. A couple of modern first person shooters would help them sell a lot more units.
    unbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 22
    In my house the Apple TV interface is more then worth the price of admission. With the Apple TV every television from the 19" in the kitchen to the 108" projector in the home theater has the same interface. No confusion about how to watch or search on the Samsung vs Sony vs LG vs Panasonic. They all have same Apple TV interface without the distraction of ads or attempts to get you to sign up for a new free trial of whatever. I have other family members who use the smart TV Aps and various flavors of streaming players and while they sometimes do a decent job of displaying the content, the noise it takes to get to the content is excessive. My mother has a post it note containing the steps it takes to watch her streaming service on the television in her bedroom. That IMO is a technology fail. I look forward to the next AppleTV hardware upgrade. Most of all, I hope they rethink the remote. I'd love to see a couple of additional dedicated keys to improve usability and a speaker that could be used to find the stupid things when they get lost in the furniture.
    redgeminipaunbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 22
    thttht Posts: 5,421member
    For the remote, I hope they just all the way and have a game controller like remote with a 2.5” touchscreen, and either joysticks or D-pads. A lot of the streaming apps and services have search functions, basically one of the primary ways to find shows, passwords, usernames, even messaging. The touchscreen could have a software keyboard on it, plus other UI things depending on apps. I would really appreciate it if that was made easier. It will be $100 more expensive, but I’d pay it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 22
    "...suggests that there may be new Apple TV 4K hardware on the horizon." 

"Meanwhile, in other headlines from the world of the obvious, we've also confirmed reports which suggest that there may be new [INSERT ANY APPLE PRODUCT NAME HERE] hardware on the horizon. But, as with the Apple TV 4K hardware, we have no idea what might be released or when."
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 22
    I initially scoffed at Siri remote detractors (really, you can't remember which way is up?) but I've run into three main problems:

1: Pressing on right side of the touchpad to skip ahead on TV programming results in pausing instead, probably at a 3:1 ratio; this is generally followed by trying to discern whether it's actually paused or the video is buffering;

2: Apple reversed sides for the menu/play buttons from the previous metal design. (Metal!) This has meant that when I use the metal one, which is generally used by the wife, I often return to the menu rather than playing/pausing, unless I concentrate on my mission;

3: I frequently move remote from one chair arm to the other, often for reasons related to the infamous syndrome of Chihuahua Slobber Hand. Probably once or twice per session, this results in moronically pushing the wrong button(s), sullying the viewing experience and causing me to exclaim, "Aaa! It's upside down!"
    zroger73watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 22
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    Besides update to Apple TV Box, may be Apple should offer lower cost 4K Apple TV stick, like fire/chrome stick. Isn't Apple wants to expand customer base for AppleTV+ streaming service ? Someone may argue that current TVs support Apple TV app and built-in Airplay 2 that indirectly takes care of streaming.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 13 of 22
    I actually like the Apple remote. I kicked out my TV remote and control everything through the ATV’s one. Turn on both, turn off both (or both through Siri Shortcuts including light settings). Changing volume etc.  I like minimalism and here I got it. Ok, I don’t watch _actual_ TV. just off the library on the ATV Plus pictures. Fair use of using it to play music. 
    The only thing I don’t like is looking for the darn thing when it has again been misplaced and slipped into/under whatever. A “find my remote” or having it beep like on the iPhone and AirPods would be more than welcome. 
    unbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 22
    The remote is fine, but I like using my phone better as there's additional functionality depending on the app.  For example, there's often a dedicated caption on/off button,  no multi-gesture or Siri hoops to jump through.  Searches automatically default to direct typing, using iOS's native keyboard.

My venerable SE is also far more comfortable in the hand, and less likely to get lost/misplaced under something on the coffee table... or in bed... or even in the laundry. About that: the TV remote mostly survived the washer AND dryer, only the microphone was permanently toasted.  I doubt any conventional remote would survive such an ordeal.

The only TV OS usability glitches I've noticed are in the older HD hardware (I own a 4K also).  Hulu's app is annoying unstable on the older device, necessitating almost daily reboots to escape app freezing.  It's the only app I've seen fall down like this, but again, it's fine on the 4K.
    edited February 2020 unbeliever2watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 22
    smaffei said:

Of course there is a point. The point is the AppleTV works as a smart hub, a video library system for content, games, etc. The upcoming system will have far better Audio support codecs than any SmartTV.
    unbeliever2Beatspscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 22
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,275member
    The remote could use some design refinement, I certainly agree, but I'm pretty happy with its actual functionality. Apart from that, possibly a beefier graphics chipset and a new form factor, I'm not sure what the Apple TV 4K Mk II could offer that would make it compelling enough to buy compared to the present version -- unless the Apple TBV 4K Mk II is actually the Apple TV 8K.

As for those commenting above who are like "eh, the smart TV itself does all that stuff now" ... you clearly have ZERO idea how much data you are giving the TV companies when you use their "smart" features over the Apple TV's "smart" features.
    pscooter63Panamaniakwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 22
    JapheyJaphey Posts: 1,767member
    Fatman said:
    A new remote would be very welcome - more ergonomic with a find me feature and dedicated mute and back buttons! And if the processor is updated, Apple would be smart to team with major developers to launch some ‘console quality’ titles. A couple of modern first person shooters would help them sell a lot more units.
    YES! A mute button would be so welcome. It’s my biggest complaint of the current remote design. Also on my wish list...make it Qi wireless, maybe add TouchID, and throw in haptic feedback (why not?).
    mbenz1962Beats
  • Reply 18 of 22
    smaffei said:

I wouldn't make the same decision. I have an LG C9 OLED and even if it does get a firmware update for the Apple TV app, I'm going to stick to the Apple TV hardware.

The main reason is privacy. I have not, and will not, connect my TV to the Internet. My TV is only going to be a dumb 4K screen and all the smarts are in my Apple TV.

Semi-related, I'm getting a modded Sony 4K player from 220 Electronics that plays Blu-rays and DVDs from all regions, which is especially helpful when I buy Criterion discs.

The Player also supports SA-CD, which is incredible.

pscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 22
    After four years with four Apple TV 4's I still HATE the remotes. Putting them in rubber cases helped and the button change to the latest version was a minor improvement, but they need a MAJOR overhaul.
  • Reply 20 of 22
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    Gamer version with AAA gaming houses onboard via Arcade? or Wifi6 Airport hybrid with onboard storage for iCloud content caching? Or ATV-on-stick to slot into new LG/Sony TVs.
    edited February 2020