Foxconn telling iPhone assembly staff to stay home because of coronavirus

Posted:
in General Discussion edited February 2020
Key Apple supplier Foxconn has told its Shenzhen staff not to return to work after the current and extended holiday just yet, because of continuing coronavirus concerns.

Foxconn staff are currently on a break because of the Lunar New Year, but had been due to return to work on February 10 -- a return date that Foxconn has emphasized in recent days.

According to Bloomberg, Hon Hai Precision Industry Company, owner of Foxconn, has issued a text message specifically to workers in the Shenzhen plant.

"To safeguard everyone's health and safety and comply with government virus prevention measures, we urge you not to return to Shenzhen," says the text message. "We'll update you on the situation in the city. The company will protect everyone's work-related rights and interests in the duration. As for the happy reunion date in Shenzhen, please wait for further notice."

Tens of thousands of people work at Foxconn's Shenzhen plant, but the majority of the company's iPhone assembly takes place at the Zhengzhou facility. It's not clear whether the same message was sent to workers there.

However, Bloomberg also says that workers returning to Zhengzhou from outside the province will be sequestered for 14 days.

"As a matter of policy and for reasons of commercial sensitivity, we do not comment on our specific production facilities," Foxconn said in a statement in response to Bloomberg's queries. "We have been closely monitoring the current public health challenge linked to the coronavirus and we are applying all recommended health and hygiene practices to all aspects of our operations in the affected markets."

Foxconn has recently reported that the coronavirus will affect production. The outbreak is also affecting Apple's AirPods production.

As of February 6, the World Health Organization reports that there have been 28,276 confirmed cases of the coronavirus worldwide, and 564 deaths. These figures are up from the previous day, with a further 3,722 cases and 73 deaths. However, WHO says that no new countries reported any cases in the 24 hours before February 6.

Separately, BBC News reports that Foxconn is switching part of its production facilities to make surgical masks. Reportedly, Foxconn aims to produce two million masks per day by the end of February.

Test production has already begun at the Shenzhen plant, and Foxconn announced the news with a posting on WeChat social media.

"In this war against the epidemic, every second counts," it said. "The earlier we take precautionary actions, the earlier we can prevent the virus, the earlier we can save lives, the sooner we can overcome this."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Here's a link to a counter that's refreshed multiple times daily.

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

I've watched the numbers and it looks like similar to the flu, the virus runs its course in about two weeks.  So that means the recovery number is just starting to significantly ramp this week (it's gone from about 500 on Sunday to over 1700 today.  As its slope points upward and matches the slope of the confirmed cases graph, we will see a leveling off in the number of active cases, I'm calculating around 60,000-90,000, with just as may people recovering daily as are contracting the virus.  That should occur in about two weeks.  After that, efforts to control the outbreak should begin to yield positive results, reducing the growth rate of new infections, now about about 16%/day and eventually seeing it die down as the weather turns warm,  

chaickaSoli
  • Reply 2 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/85320e2ea5424dfaaa75ae62e5c06e61

I've watched the numbers and it looks like similar to the flu, the virus runs its course in about two weeks.  So that means the recovery number is just starting to significantly ramp this week (it's gone from about 500 on Sunday to over 1700 today.  As its slope points upward and matches the slope of the confirmed cases graph, we will see a leveling off in the number of active cases, I'm calculating around 60,000-90,000, with just as may people recovering daily as are contracting the virus.  That should occur in about two weeks.  After that, efforts to control the outbreak should begin to yield positive results, reducing the growth rate of new infections, now about about 16%/day and eventually seeing it die down as the weather turns warm,  

The first Coronavirus infection was early December, with recoveries taking 30+ days. I am hoping for the same, but I don't think your math quite works out. We'll see.
    edited February 2020 tmaychaickamuthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 3 of 19
    chaickachaicka Posts: 257member

The first Coronavirus infection was early December, with recoveries taking 30+ days. I am hoping for the same, but I don't think your math quite works out. We'll see.
    Recent data suggesting much shorter recovery duration both in China as well as other Asia countries. There is now commonly shared and known medications (Arbidol and another HIV drug) which seems effective to cure for most cases (those without pre-existing conditions that complicate treatment).
  • Reply 4 of 19
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member

So far, only 1,500 people are listed as recovered with 600+ people listed as dead. With the official numbers of over 30,000 sick, the percentage of recovered is about 5%. That's not an encouraging number. The recent case with the Chinese ophthalmologist who was the first to sound the alarm about this virus back in late December/early January, who then contracted the virus in early January and died yesterday points to the fact that those who die may hang onto their lives for up to a month. We won't know if the bulk of the infected are going to recover or to die yet. There hasn't been enough time yet to tell which way their illness is progressing. The fact that the Chinese government is mum on the fate of most of the infected tells me that they are hiding what is really going on.
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 5 of 19
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sirozha said:

So far, only 1,500 people are listed as recovered with 600+ people listed as dead. With the official numbers of over 30,000 sick, the percentage of recovered is about 5%. That's not an encouraging number. The recent case with the Chinese ophthalmologist who was the first to sound the alarm about this virus back in late December/early January, who then contracted the virus in early January and died yesterday points to the fact that those who die may hang onto their lives for up to a month. We won't know if the bulk of the infected are going to recover or to die yet. There hasn't been enough time yet to tell which way their illness is progressing. The fact that the Chinese government is mum on the fate of most of the infected tells me that they are hiding what is really going on.

1) You need to consider what recovered means here. With any virus or disease they do not classify someone as recovered until there the statically likely is so incredibly low that they feel there is absolutely no residual effects and no way that the it could reflate and infect anyone. With a nascent virus that we know so little about they are keeping people under observation, doing considerably more testing, and taking additional precautions when dealing with them (ii.e.: not just wearing gloves) to help make the best of not just the current case but all future cases. I'd say it's more important to look at the likelihood of death from this virus, and of the people that are dying their health, habits, and age. This is how learn about and get ahead of these issues.

2) They might be hiding something—there's certainly a long history of that—but they are certainly being more transparent than they were with SARS. I seem to recall reading that The Who and CDC have commanded China for their efforts with 2019-nCoV.
  • Reply 6 of 19
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    chaicka said:

Recent data suggesting much shorter recovery duration both in China as well as other Asia countries. There is now commonly shared and known medications (Arbidol and another HIV drug) which seems effective to cure for most cases (those without pre-existing conditions that complicate treatment).
    You should provide a link as I have found nothing that supports your post.

Posted yesterday;

https://www.livescience.com/possible-treatments-new-coronavirus.html

"As the coronavirus outbreak in China continues to spread, having infected over 24,000 people so far, scientists around the world are racing to find a treatment. Most of the people infected with the new coronavirus, dubbed 2019-nCov, have not received a treatment specific to that virus — because there isn't one. 

In fact, none of the handful of coronaviruses known to infect humans has an approved treatment, and people who are infected typically receive care mainly to help relieve symptoms, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). However, a handful of repurposed drugs, from drugs targeting Ebola to HIV, have already shown promise, according to new findings.

That's a long way from a cure for most cases, and "much shorter recovery duration" is wishful thinking based on the available data that I have seen.

• Reply 7 of 19
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

1) You need to consider what recovered means here. With any virus or disease they do not classify someone as recovered until there the statically likely is so incredibly low that they feel there is absolutely no residual effects and no way that the it could reflate and infect anyone. With a nascent virus that we know so little about they are keeping people under observation, doing considerably more testing, and taking additional precautions when dealing with them (ii.e.: not just wearing gloves) to help make the best of not just the current case but all future cases. I'd say it's more important to look at the likelihood of death from this virus, and of the people that are dying their health, habits, and age. This is how learn about and get ahead of these issues.

2) They might be hiding something—there's certainly a long history of that—but they are certainly being more transparent than they were with SARS. I seem to recall reading that The Who and CDC have commanded China for their efforts with 2019-nCoV.
    With all due respect, I disagree. China has so many new cases every day that they can’t handle the daily volume of new cases. People get turned back until they are so sick they can’t stand up. 

I seriously doubt that those who feel like they are recovered would be held in hospitals and not be listed as recovered. 

With the seasonal flu, doctors tell kids to go back to school if they haven’t had a fever for 24 hours, which means that in the US, the absence of fever for 24 hours is considered to be a good enough sign that the person is no longer contagious. When I get the flu, I still feel sick a week after my temperature returns to normal, so i know I’m not well, yet the American Public Heath system considers me not to be a threat to others. Most people return to work after the flu well before they feel healthy. 

Back in 2009, my flu was so bad that I felt drained and devoid of energy for 4-5 months after it. Since then, I’ve been getting flu shots annually, but even with flu shots, the flu nocks me out for 2 weeks. My last bout with the flu in December resulted in me losing consciousness for the first time in my life, so flu is no joke either. 

With the epidemic of this size, those who feel healthy would be allowed to return home and would be listed as healthy so that their place in the hospitals could be given to the newly infected ones. In fact, I think they would be told to go home well before they feel completely recovered. No way that China is underreporting the number of recovered case. They are grossly underreporting the number of sickened and the number of dead. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 8 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    chaicka said:

There are a few Anti-viral and HIV drug cocktails being tested. Some folks have shown improvement, but I haven't seen anything that is a cure?

combination of antiviral drugs and medication for treating flu appear to be showing the most potential. Combination therapy is not a novel concept, as it’s being increasingly .

“As there is no proven cure for the new coronavirus yet, existing antiviral drugs such as Oseltamivir has been used to treat patients with the coronavirus besides influenza,” said UOB Kay Hian senior health care analyst Carol Dou.

https://www.scmp.com/business/companies/article/3048888/could-cocktail-therapies-hiv-and-flu-be-magic-cure-new

Please provide links to where you are getting info...

• Reply 9 of 19
    sirozha said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

With all due respect, I disagree. China has so many new cases every day that they can’t handle the daily volume of new cases. People get turned back until they are so sick they can’t stand up. 

I seriously doubt that those who feel like they are recovered would be held in hospitals and not be listed as recovered. 

With the seasonal flu, doctors tell kids to go back to school if they haven’t had a fever for 24 hours, which means that in the US, the absence of fever for 24 hours is considered to be a good enough sign that the person is no longer contagious. When I get the flu, I still feel sick a week after my temperature returns to normal, so i know I’m not well, yet the American Public Heath system considers me not to be a threat to others. Most people return to work after the flu well before they feel healthy. 

Back in 2009, my flu was so bad that I felt drained and devoid of energy for 4-5 months after it. Since then, I’ve been getting flu shots annually, but even with flu shots, the flu nocks me out for 2 weeks. My last bout with the flu in December resulted in me losing consciousness for the first time in my life, so flu is no joke either. 

With the epidemic of this size, those who feel healthy would be allowed to return home and would be listed as healthy so that their place in the hospitals could be given to the newly infected ones. In fact, I think they would be told to go home well before they feel completely recovered. No way that China is underreporting the number of recovered case. They are grossly underreporting the number of sickened and the number of dead. 

So they would send people home that "might' feel better, with no way of confirming if they are indeed actually 100% recovered and no longer contagious?  That seems like a dangerous game to play don't you think? There is no cure yet and no one that is 100% proven recovered. 

You can contract the flu every year even with the flu shot. Doctors try and predict the strain that will emerge year by year.. they aren't always right, and the flu shot isn't a 100% guarantee...
  • Reply 10 of 19
    They are claiming that their cocktail of antivirus drugs (with one not even being approved anywhere in the world yet) is effective for this Coronavirus. Take it with a sack of salt. They are grasping for straws. WHO said that there was no evidence that the cocktail is effective. 

In other news, in some Chinese cities they are administering cow manure as a remedy for the Coronavirus. You should understand their culture and not take any of their claims at the face value.  

One thing for sure. The Chinese government is in the trade war with the US, and they are desperately trying not to lose it. They want to be #1 economy by the end of this decade. There is no way they would halt their entire  economy if they thought this epidemic was not more serious for their future than idling the economy of the entire most populous country in the world (and second largest world economy). 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 11 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    sirozha said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

So they would send people home that "might' feel better, with no way of confirming if they are indeed actually 100% recovered and no longer contagious?  That seems like a dangerous game to play don't you think? There is no cure yet and no one that is 100% proven recovered. 

You can contract the flu every year even with the flu shot. Doctors try and predict the strain that will emerge year by year.. they aren't always right, and the flu shot isn't a 100% guarantee...
    No one has been proven 100% recovered yet? Why are the official numbers reporting more than 1500 recovered as of yesterday? 

Infectious disease specialists know when the person is no longer contagious based on many years of studying various viruses. They understand very well when the person who as sick with the virus is no longer contagious. It always blew my mind that a flu patient is told to go back to public after 24 hours of no fever. In my opinion, if the person still feels sick, he is contagious. However, Public Health experts say otherwise. 

The immune system fights all Coronaviruses the same way. So, the experts know when the person is no longer contagious. The problem is that only 5% of the officially reported cases have been reported as recovered. This means that the rest are in serious condition or dead. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 12 of 19
    Lord ZeddLord Zedd Posts: 6unconfirmed, member
    Apple and Foxconn are NOT telling them to stay home, the Chinese government is. The New Year holiday has been officially extended until monday. By Chinese law, Apple has to pay those workers for their weekdays off and 200% for the weekends.
  • Reply 13 of 19
    Lord Zedd said:
    Apple and Foxconn are NOT telling them to stay home, the Chinese government is. The New Year holiday has been officially extended until monday. By Chinese law, Apple has to pay those workers for their weekdays off and 200% for the weekends.
    Obviously, if Apple were allowed to reopen their stores and if Foxconn were allowed to reopen their  factories, they would do so next Monday. I doubt Tim Cook is concerned with the health of the Chinese employees he pays $5/hour, if that. 
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 14 of 19
    sirozha said:
    jcs2305 said:
    sirozha said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

No one has been proven 100% recovered yet? Why are the official numbers reporting more than 1500 recovered as of yesterday? 

Infectious disease specialists know when the person is no longer contagious based on many years of studying various viruses. They understand very well when the person who as sick with the virus is no longer contagious. It always blew my mind that a flu patient is told to go back to public after 24 hours of no fever. In my opinion, if the person still feels sick, he is contagious. However, Public Health experts say otherwise. 

The immune system fights all Coronaviruses the same way. So, the experts know when the person is no longer contagious. The problem is that only 5% of the officially reported cases have been reported as recovered. This means that the rest are in serious condition or dead. 
    Please post links to these #'s .. I am not arguing I want to know where you are pulling this info.  I was saying not 100% recovered as in back to 100% physically. So I apologize if you I was misleading.

What I will say is recovered doesn't mean immune necessarily. If you start pushing people out of the door before they are ready physically it could result in a lot more deaths from reinfection.

People could get the novel coronavirus more than once, health experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

• Reply 15 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    sirozha said:
    jcs2305 said:
    sirozha said:
    Soli said:
    sirozha said:

Please post links to these #'s .. I am not arguing I want to know where you are pulling this info.  I was saying not 100% recovered as in back to 100% physically. So I apologize if you I was misleading.

What I will say is recovered doesn't mean immune necessarily. If you start pushing people out of the door before they are ready physically it could result in a lot more deaths from reinfection.

People could get the novel coronavirus more than once, health experts warn — recovering does not necessarily make you immune

Read SCMP. All the information is there with the numbers updated every evening about 8:00 PM US Eastern time. All US media, including CNBC, simply reprint the news reported in SCMP. 
    You can see the stats of recovered and dead in this article, for instance:

China will succeed in coronavirus counter-attack, Donald Trump says; 73 new fatalities reported
    https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3049424/coronavirus-hubei-province-reports-69-deaths-and-2447-new
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 16 of 19
    CNN reports that the number of infected on the quarantined cruise ship docked in Japan increased from 20 to 60 overnight, and is now the largest epidemic of this Coronavirus in the world outside of China. 

edited February 2020
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    Lord Zedd said:
    Read it all again. 

"Foxconn staff are currently on a break because of the Lunar New Year, but had been due to return to work on February 10" - that would be Monday you speak of, and this is literally the first line of the second paragraph of the story.

This is Foxconn, yes Foxconn, telling folks to stay home AFTER the 10th.
    edited February 2020 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 18 of 19
    The number of daily deaths continues to climb. This is the latest stats published by the Chinese government for February 7, 2020. 

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/society/article/3049623/coronavirus-hubei-province-reports-81-new-deaths-and-2841
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 19 of 19
    This article shows the scale of the business closures in China and their effect on the supply chain in major world corporations, including Apple.