Mobile World Congress 2020 canceled due to coronavirus outbreak

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    mgfr said:
    vukasika said:
    LoL read btw the lines. Better to lose revenue than become next hot spot with tech companies like Hauwei (and staff)  visiting. Just more polite to cancel than to post a sign saying no Chinese tech companies allowed.
    There is a Huawei store in Madrid and spanish telephone companies use Huawei antennas to sell 5G. 5G has been available in Monaco for several months with 100% Huawei equipment.
    Yes. That Madrid store is the largest outside China. Another will open in Barcelona this year. They have more than 13,000 employees in the E.U (not all of them Chinese, of course) and have just announced plans to build manufacturing hubs in the EU (thousands more employees).
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 22 of 36
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

China needs to get its act together. 
    What do you propose they do on top of locking down 50 million people? Banning contact with animals? 
    I’ve read that wet markets may well be a disease vector in situations like this.
    Eating bats is probably not a good idea either. They had been suspected as one of the sources.

Neither is eating cows, pigs, chickens, french fries, donuts and CocaCola.   But we do it anyway.
    Difference being cows, pigs, chickens are part of a balanced diet. Bats are not. By the way you left off dirt, rocks, and tree bark on your list of things not to eat.
    George says a lot of things that aren’t very well thought out.
    tmayrazorpitanantksundaram
  • Reply 23 of 36
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

What do you propose they do on top of locking down 50 million people? Banning contact with animals? 
    I’ve read that wet markets may well be a disease vector in situations like this.
    Eating bats is probably not a good idea either. They had been suspected as one of the sources.

Neither is eating cows, pigs, chickens, french fries, donuts and CocaCola.   But we do it anyway.
    Difference being cows, pigs, chickens are part of a balanced diet. Bats are not. By the way you left off dirt, rocks, and tree bark on your list of things not to eat.

A dead animal is a dead animal.  And, yes, you could call eating dirt part of a "balanced diet" if it justifies it for you.
  • Reply 24 of 36
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

Because you are poorly informed it tends to distort your thinking.  But I do my best to straighten you out when I have the time.
  • Reply 25 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    apple ][ said:
    Who cares about the money lost?

Obviously safety and lives takes precedence over any garbage money lost, especially when there's a current virus spreading.

But don't worry, I'm sure the EU can simply hold a meeting next week and concoct some sort of BS tax to make up for any lost business. They can call it the Corona tax and fine China 500 million or so.
    Is there any country or area of the world, you don't hate?

I don't particularly worry about Barcelona, it is one of the world's most visited cities, and Spain gets more tourists than the US. Or pretty much anywhere else. 

The hotels will hurt for a week. 
    Carnage
  • Reply 26 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

A dead animal is a dead animal.  And, yes, you could call eating dirt part of a "balanced diet" if it justifies it for you.
    “A dead animal is a dead animal....” I’ll put that in my notebook. How about pencils, hammers, and shovels?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

😂 That’s a three course meal for his friends over in North Korea...
  • Reply 28 of 36
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

“A dead animal is a dead animal....” I’ll put that in my notebook. How about pencils, hammers, and shovels?
    Not animals, not really dead either, although not alive. 
  • Reply 29 of 36
    asdasd said:
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

Right, but are pencils, hammers, and shovels part of a balanced diet?  That's the burning question here, clearly.  Pencil me in for a "no," but I'm willing to be convinced.  I'm a picky eater so I don't expect to add them to my diet personally.  No bats either.
    razorpit
  • Reply 30 of 36
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    lolliver said:
    The outbreak, which has lasted about three months, 
    If the first case was diagnosed on the last day of December how is that 3 months? Even if it started mid December that's only 2 months ago...

Well, it was around for a while before it was identified as a coronavirus, notably when many in the Wuhan province came down with severe pneumonia-like symptoms that were thought to be just pneumonia (even Chinese docs see horses, not zebras). Just the reports that it was likely some sort of coronavirus came out in December. So the OP is more or less correct. 
    tmay
  • Reply 31 of 36
    razorpit said:

razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

😂 That’s a three course meal for his friends over in North Korea...

We had better comeback in first grade.
    asdasd
  • Reply 32 of 36
    asdasd said:
    razorpit said:
    razorpit said:
    apple ][ said:
    sflocal said:

Kinda chewy too...  
    asdasd
  • Reply 33 of 36
    1348513485 Posts: 347member
    Left unknown at this point:

Is this 2019-nCoV going to be as deadly as, say, the 1918 Spanish Influenza epidemic (50 million by some estimates), or only as deadly as the annual flu virus outbreaks (about 60,000)?

People seem prepared to panic before we know anything.
  • Reply 34 of 36
    13485 said:

Is this 2019-nCoV going to be as deadly as, say, the 1918 Spanish Influenza epidemic (50 million by some estimates), or only as deadly as the annual flu virus outbreaks (about 60,000)?

YES!
    I am perplexed that I have seen absolutely nothing comparing this virus to the standard flu --- even though the symptoms and the death rates are nearly identical*.  In fact the cause of death is even the same for both:  pneumonia.
    * And that is what makes China's new method of identifying those infected via clinical symptoms rather than an actual test for the virus perplexing:  it doesn't distinguish between this virus and the regular flu virus strains.   But then, from a clinical perspective it may not matter because, if the person has "a flu like virus" the treatment remains pretty much the same regardless of which virus it is.)

Instead, this is being billed as a brand new, never before seen illness when, in fact, it appears to be just a different strain of virus --which occurs every year anyway.  That's why the flu vaccine must be reformulated each year while they attempt to predict which strain will be prevalent (and their predictions tend to be even worse than the weatherman's!)

(I suspect the 1918 flu killed so many was because of lack of a lack of medical care which was partly due to the state of the art at the time as well as the fact that WW-I had very much disrupted normal medical care.  I have heard it said that more soldiers died of the flu (actually the resulting pneumonia) than from bullets.)
    edited February 2020
  • Reply 35 of 36
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    13485 said:

YES!
    I am perplexed that I have seen absolutely nothing comparing this virus to the standard flu --- even though the symptoms and the death rates are nearly identical*.  In fact the cause of death is even the same for both:  pneumonia.
    * And that is what makes China's new method of identifying those infected via clinical symptoms rather than an actual test for the virus perplexing:  it doesn't distinguish between this virus and the regular flu virus strains.   But then, from a clinical perspective it may not matter because, if the person has "a flu like virus" the treatment remains pretty much the same regardless of which virus it is.)

Instead, this is being billed as a brand new, never before seen illness when, in fact, it appears to be just a different strain of virus --which occurs every year anyway.  That's why the flu vaccine must be reformulated each year while they attempt to predict which strain will be prevalent (and their predictions tend to be even worse than the weatherman's!)

(I suspect the 1918 flu killed so many was because of lack of a lack of medical care which was partly due to the state of the art at the time as well as the fact that WW-I had very much disrupted normal medical care.  I have heard it said that more soldiers died of the flu (actually the resulting pneumonia) than from bullets.)