802.11ay Wi-Fi rumored for 'iPhone 12,' wireless charging for 'AirTag'

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2020
The "iPhone 12" could have extremely fast wireless networking with support for 802.11ay networking potentially allowing it to connect at gigabit speeds with home appliances and other hardware, and the long-rumored "AirTag" tracking device may use wireless charging.

As part of the potential improvements in this year's "iPhone 12" refresh, Apple could be taking advantage of a near field communication Wi-Fi standard called IEEE 802.11ay. Still in its fifth draft version, 802.11ay is believed to be getting close to completion, and may have a final specification issued by the end of 2020.

The use of the technology, claimed by sources of Macotakara would center on the iPhone being able to connect directly with other network-enabled items in an ad-hoc network, rather than using more standard and structured Wi-Fi network. Connecting at gigabit WI-Fi speeds, the direct connection to nearby devices would allow for both high transfer speeds and high reliability, due to not requiring intermediary networking hardware.

Aside from networking, the iPhone 12 is said by the sources to include OLED displays, with the possibility of an LCD display model as well. This could mean Apple could be going down a similar route to the current iPhone 11 generation and earlier models, where one variant had an LCD screen alongside premium alternatives equipped with OLED.

The iPhone 12 is predicted to be offered in at least four discrete models, including a 5.4-inch model with a rear dual camera, 6.1-inch OLED with dual cameras, 6.1-inch OLED with a rear triple-camera setup and time-of-flight sensors, and a 6.7-inch OLED with triple cameras and ToF sensors, which are used for 3D depth sensing. There has also been the suggestion of a resurgence of Touch ID by using acoustic fingerprint reading across the entire display, and the inclusion of 5G connectivity.

Macotakara also touches upon the "AirTags" rumors, for an accessory that would allow the Find My service to find other items, such as bunches of keys. The small Ultra-Wideband devices, which are tipped to go on sale in the fall, are suggested to incorporate wireless charging capabilities.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I thought we were ditching this ac/ay impenetrable nonsense and it was now going to be Wi-Fi 6 (or 7, I forget where we’re up to)?
    caladanian
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    crowley said:
    I thought we were ditching this ac/ay impenetrable nonsense and it was now going to be Wi-Fi 6 (or 7, I forget where we’re up to)?
    Wi-Fi 6e is what we're up to.

802.11ay is still a draft spec, and as such, is still called 802.11ay.
    edited February 2020 caladaniankurai_kagewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    I see the good old apple product cycle also applies to iPhones.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Maybe, but with iPhones supporting 802.11ax/WiFi6, relatively few users using WiFi6 routers, and Macs still without WiFi6, I don't see 802.11ay happening this year so close to the draft.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 13
    I wonder why? It's not like Wifi6 / 802.11ax isn't plenty fast enough - and then some, by orders of magnitude - for a phone.

802.11ay isn't finished yet (note: This is not the successor to Wifi 6), and while it is even faster, it also has severe limitations - e.g. don't expect it to penetrate walls/people. It would be perfect for things like replacing HDMI (less cables to your TV hanging on the wall),  wireless VR etc... but I don't see a good reason to add support for a draft version to a phone.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 13
    Soli said:
    Maybe, but with iPhones supporting 802.11ax/WiFi6, relatively few users using WiFi6 routers, and Macs still without WiFi6, I don't see 802.11ay happening this year so close to the draft.
    Remember that 802.11ay is the new version of Wi-Gig (basically the sister spec to 802.11ax), so it really isn’t intended or ideal for routers.  However it may get some use in routers intended to be used outdoors.  It uses a different frequency band that can travel through water vapor better, but is very poor at traveling through walls, glass, or human bodies.  It generally requires line-of-sight to the device.  It is really designed for direct device-to-device communication for things that need orders of magnitude higher bandwidth (up to 400 gigabit) then bluetooth.  Think AirPlay, AirDrop, and Apple’s rumored AR headset. 
    edited February 2020 Soliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 13
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    esummers said:
    Soli said:
    Remember that 802.11ay is the new version of Wi-Gig (basically the sister spec to 802.11ax), so it really isn’t intended or ideal for routers.  However it may get some use in routers intended to be used outdoors.  It uses a different frequency band that can travel through water vapor better, but is very poor at traveling through walls, glass, or human bodies.  It generally requires line-of-sight to the device.  It is really designed for direct device-to-device communication for things that need orders of magnitude higher bandwidth (up to 400 gigabit) then bluetooth.  Think AirPlay, AirDrop, and Apple’s rumored AR headset. 
    When you put it that way maybe Apple will want to include a spec option.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    xyzzy01 said:
    I wonder why? It's not like Wifi6 / 802.11ax isn't plenty fast enough - and then some, by orders of magnitude - for a phone.

802.11ay isn't finished yet (note: This is not the successor to Wifi 6), and while it is even faster, it also has severe limitations - e.g. don't expect it to penetrate walls/people. It would be perfect for things like replacing HDMI (less cables to your TV hanging on the wall),  wireless VR etc... but I don't see a good reason to add support for a draft version to a phone.
    It makes sense to me to add it.  The draft version would at least work across Apple devices.  For a protocol designed for accessories, that is fine.  Although I don’t know, there is a good chance it is software upgradeable to final spec since everything that requires hardware support has probably already been agreed upon.  Beyond strategic value in Apple’s dev pipeline, it is probably close to the ax implementation, so why not implement it.
    edited February 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Sounds cool. I wonder what developers could do with the new spec if iOS had an actual WiFi SDK? I guess we will never know.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    Please give us AirTags already! I've been holding off on buying tile waiting for this. I keep losing stuff in the meanwhile!
    SpamSandwichwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 13
    Apple being different just to be different. Just go 5G already...sheesh.
  • Reply 12 of 13
    Sounds cool. I wonder what developers could do with the new spec if iOS had an actual WiFi SDK? I guess we will never know.
    Err. They do have an API for 802.11ay it would be the NSNetService and MultipeerConnectivity SDKs.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 13
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    I guess it's good that the AirTags can be wirelessly charged, but I hope that's not indicative that they will need to be charged often.  I don't have much interest in them if I have to charge them any more than once in a while; I believe Tiles last for over a year.