Remembering Steve Jobs on his 68th birthday

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    lkrupp said:
    I’ll always remember Gil Amelio announcing the return of Steve Jobs, and shortly later he became Apple’s “interim” CEO.

What is ironic is Apple’s board of directors both fired Steve years ago and rehired him to become interim CEO. 
    They didn't fire him though, they sidelined him and he quit.
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Fascinating life ... The two companies he invested in, or created, after his departure from Apple (Next and Pixar) were very close to be a total failure ... An expert interviewed shortly after he issued the Next Cube said something like : "Normally, I don't give this machine the slightest chance to succeed, but considering it's SJ's baby, I am more cautious ..."
    JP234
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Steve Jobs was a misfit, with good looks and the gift of the gab who wanted to get rich quick. Wozniak was his initial vehicle. So was born Apple Computer. His discerning tastes came, along his his arrogance and bad manners, later, with his extreme wealth. There are many very intelligent people on this planet doing amazing work in all fields of life but do not set out to be rich or exploit friends in order to achieve their ambitions. Toss the coin and Steve Jobs could have remained a dropout, misfit and mentally unwell. 
  • Reply 24 of 29
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,338member
    I suppose one could argue that celebrating the birthdays of the DEAD have meaning because that day compiles us to consider their life.  But technically speaking, birthdays were concocted by the living to celebrate the ongoing life of the said person, showing them that another year has passed and celebrating the fact that they still remain with us.  Need further convincing? How many of you literary lovers celebrated Shakespeare's 458th "birthday"?  While one could counter-argue the Christmas serves as the greatest example of celebrating the BIRTH of a man, it can also be said by those who are believers, that He is still alive today, which rather nullifies the counterargument.

I am alive (obviously), but I prefer to not spend all my time reading birthday wishes on FaceBook or being forced to respond to them when they inevitably come my way.  Interestingly enough, today is my birthday, and FaceBook is overflowing!  It may brighten the day of some, but to me it is an annoyance.  I am no longer a child who really cares about such things like cake and presents.  As another interesting twist, I need to attend a funeral today.  

I would prefer that people recognize me for who I am today and what I still have to contribute, putting a lesser eye on the past.  

But with the dead, we only have the past for them.  And while we could IMAGINE what Steve Jobs would do at Apple today, it is the realm of fantasy.  Steve didn't want Apple to constantly think: "what would Steve do?"  He considered death the best invention of life insofar as it demands CHANGE.  So it is with our thinking on celebrating "birth" days of the dead.  Perhaps we would do well to CHANGE that aspect of our culture, and instead just glean the best of Steve Jobs and mix that with our own ideas for making a better future.  Steve won't be mad.  "Great artists steal" was his personal philosophy.  

So we reflect on Steve Jobs, not as a morbid celebration of the birth of dead man, but as a daily reflection on how we need to motivate ourselves like Steve did to accomplish something insanely great.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    JP234 said:
    timmillea said:
    Steve Jobs was a misfit, with good looks and the gift of the gab who wanted to get rich quick. Wozniak was his initial vehicle. So was born Apple Computer. His discerning tastes came, along his his arrogance and bad manners, later, with his extreme wealth. There are many very intelligent people on this planet doing amazing work in all fields of life but do not set out to be rich or exploit friends in order to achieve their ambitions. Toss the coin and Steve Jobs could have remained a dropout, misfit and mentally unwell. 
    No argument that Jobs was a deeply flawed man, and true, without Wozniak there would be no Apple empire. But you ignore the indisputable fact that without Jobs, there would be no Apple empire. Genius Woz was only interested in giving away everything he did. Jobs' genius was in his ability to monetize Woz' creations, and make them more appealing to customers, with his relentless drive for perfection in design, and his enthusiastic and charismatic ability to generate demand.

Don't ever forget that. He was probably the most transformational figure in 20th century life. More so than even towering figures like Albert Einstein, the Wright Brothers or even Henry Ford. He was responsible for the Information Age we all live in now. Billions of people don't fly, don't drive, and know nothing of quantum theory. But it was his idea that everyone should have access to easy to use digital tech, instead of "Big Brother" controlling our lives with ignorance and fear through government control of all information, that influences every single activity of daily life as we know it. Including researching, writing, reading and responding to this article.
    The Second Lord War err World War did leave deep scars on most children of that period; Steve was no exception. 
    edited February 2023
  • Reply 26 of 29
    JP234 said:
    jdw said:
    I suppose one could argue that celebrating the birthdays of the DEAD have meaning because that day compiles us to consider their life.  But technically speaking, birthdays were concocted by the living to celebrate the ongoing life of the said person, showing them that another year has passed and celebrating the fact that they still remain with us.  Need further convincing? How many of you literary lovers celebrated Shakespeare's 458th "birthday"?  While one could counter-argue the Christmas serves as the greatest example of celebrating the BIRTH of a man, it can also be said by those who are believers, that He is still alive today, which rather nullifies the counterargument.

I am alive (obviously), but I prefer to not spend all my time reading birthday wishes on FaceBook or being forced to respond to them when they inevitably come my way.  Interestingly enough, today is my birthday, and FaceBook is overflowing!  It may brighten the day of some, but to me it is an annoyance.  I am no longer a child who really cares about such things like cake and presents.  As another interesting twist, I need to attend a funeral today.  

I would prefer that people recognize me for who I am today and what I still have to contribute, putting a lesser eye on the past.  

But with the dead, we only have the past for them.  And while we could IMAGINE what Steve Jobs would do at Apple today, it is the realm of fantasy.  Steve didn't want Apple to constantly think: "what would Steve do?"  He considered death the best invention of life insofar as it demands CHANGE.  So it is with our thinking on celebrating "birth" days of the dead.  Perhaps we would do well to CHANGE that aspect of our culture, and instead just glean the best of Steve Jobs and mix that with our own ideas for making a better future.  Steve won't be mad.  "Great artists steal" was his personal philosophy.  

So we reflect on Steve Jobs, not as a morbid celebration of the birth of dead man, but as a daily reflection on how we need to motivate ourselves like Steve did to accomplish something insanely great.
    If you prefer not to spend time reading your birthday wishes on Facebook, why not deactivate your account?
    You appear to be someone not privy to the existence of interesting vintage Mac Facebook groups!

:-)
  • Reply 27 of 29
    JP234 said:
    jdw said:
    JP234 said:
    jdw said:

If you prefer not to spend time reading your birthday wishes on Facebook, why not deactivate your account?
    You appear to be someone not privy to the existence of interesting vintage Mac Facebook groups!

:-)
    I'm aware of them. And they're all time sucks.
    Only someone who is not a vintage Mac fan would say what you did.  Quite a shame. But perhaps not surprising.  

My first home computer was the Mac when I was 13 in 1984.  Many Mac users I came to know in later years were converts from Windoze.  None of them had the same appreciating and respect for the Mac that I did.  Indeed, my love for vintage Macs often transcends my love for modern Macs.  I also have a great appreciation for those in the vintage Mac community, regardless of whether they be on the 68kMLA, TinkerDifferent or in the FaceBook groups you sadly have chosen to despise.

Regardless of your own likes and dislikes, my choice to remain on FaceBook is sound.  Not only do I enjoy the aforementioned FB groups, but I live outside my home country and FB is a way for me to keep in touch with many people I otherwise would not.

And there you have it.
    edited February 2023 muthuk_vanalingam
  • Reply 28 of 29
    JP234 said:
    JP234 said:
    timmillea said:
    No argument that Jobs was a deeply flawed man, and true, without Wozniak there would be no Apple empire. But you ignore the indisputable fact that without Jobs, there would be no Apple empire. Genius Woz was only interested in giving away everything he did. Jobs' genius was in his ability to monetize Woz' creations, and make them more appealing to customers, with his relentless drive for perfection in design, and his enthusiastic and charismatic ability to generate demand.

Don't ever forget that. He was probably the most transformational figure in 20th century life. More so than even towering figures like Albert Einstein, the Wright Brothers or even Henry Ford. He was responsible for the Information Age we all live in now. Billions of people don't fly, don't drive, and know nothing of quantum theory. But it was his idea that everyone should have access to easy to use digital tech, instead of "Big Brother" controlling our lives with ignorance and fear through government control of all information, that influences every single activity of daily life as we know it. Including researching, writing, reading and responding to this article.
    The Second Lord War err World War did leave deep scars on most children of that period; Steve was no exception. 
    Uh, Steve was born 10 years after WWII ended. He wasn't even old enough to serve in Vietnam. He was 18 when that war mercifully ended.
    That’s Steve jobs the second not the first neither the third. 😝