Coronavirus forces 'Plague Inc' game off the China App Store

Posted:
in iOS
The ongoing coronavirus outbreak in China has led to popular game "Plague Inc" to be pulled from the country's App Store after China decided it was illegal -- despite having been available for eight years.

In a statement, Plague Inc developer Ndemic Creations claims it was informed the game "includes content that is illegal in China as determined by the Cyberspace Administration of China," and has been removed from sale in the App Store covering China.

"This situation is completely out of our control," said Ndemic Creations.

"Plague Inc" is a strategy game where players must create a fictional pathogen and try to spread the plague as far as possible around the world. As with a real-world virus like the coronavirus, part of the game involves countries cutting off access to nations enduring infections, with border controls and the development of a cure causing players to thing strategically about how to improve how the virus infects and spreads.

"It's not clear to us if this removal is linked to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak that China is facing," the studio suggests. "We have a huge amount of respect for our Chinese players and are devastated that they are no longer able to access and play Plague, Inc."

Despite the dark subject matter, the game has been recognized for its educational importance, including by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, as a way to encourage players to learn about serious public health issues.

While the game is blocked in China, it is still available to download and play in other markets. The developers are attempting to contact the Chinese regulator to understand why the ban has taken place.

This is not the first statement Ndemic has released concerning the coronavirus. In late January, it acknowledged the rise in player numbers it sees after an outbreak of a disease, and took a moment to remind players of its limitations.

"We specifically designed the game to be realistic and informative, while not sensationalizing serious real-world issues," wrote the team. "Please remember that Plague Inc. is a game, not a scientific model, and that the current coronavirus outbreak is a very real situation which is impacting a huge number of people. We would always recommend that players get their information directly from local and global health authorities."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,759member
    If the Chinese government hadn't tried to hush-up the doctor that originally discovered the virus, this wouldn't have become a global issue at all, not even regional. But nope got to keep flailing around attacking things that're irrelevant incase there's a minuscule hint to the Chinese populace that the government is losing its grip on power.
    StrangeDayscornchipgilly33ravnorodomkestralols
  • Reply 2 of 15
    JWSCJWSC Posts: 1,203member
    elijahg said:
    If the Chinese government hadn't tried to hush-up the doctor that originally discovered the virus, this wouldn't have become a global issue at all, not even regional. But nope got to keep flailing around attacking things that're irrelevant incase there's a minuscule hint to the Chinese populace that the government is losing its grip on power.
    This is why, eventually, the revolution will come.  They can censor all they want.  But Government ineptitude is visible on the inside - and there are a lot of people on the inside to see it all in it’s spectacular stupidity.  When Chinese citizens travel they are exposed to information not seen in the Middle Kingdom.  Word will get around in many forms.  No way to stop it,
    StrangeDayscornchipgilly33kestralols
  • Reply 3 of 15
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    JWSC said:
    elijahg said:
    This is why, eventually, the revolution will come.  They can censor all they want.  But Government ineptitude is visible on the inside - and there are a lot of people on the inside to see it all in it’s spectacular stupidity.  When Chinese citizens travel they are exposed to information not seen in the Middle Kingdom.  Word will get around in many forms.  No way to stop it,
    in school I ate breakfast sometimes with a Chinese foreign exchange student. One time he was telling me what a nightmare it was just getting the student visa because of China's "burrsheet parrcies". I'm guessing there's a pretty sizable portion of the population that feels the same.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    Like this is helpful in any way. It’s been out for Mac/PC for even longer as well, pretty sure like the virus, the cat’s out of the bag. 
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Maybe the Chinese government used the game to develop a strategy for this virus, and doesn't want anyone else to notice...

I better go get my tin foil hat.  I think it's in the closet.

• Reply 6 of 15
    elijahg said:
    The arrest was going way overboard, but attempting to stop panic wasn’t.  People aren’t rational when they, and their loved ones are a risk.  If people managed to flee Wuhan before the quarantine was set up, it could have been much much worse.  As it is, the situation is bad but fairly stable (within China).

Even with the rest of the world warned about the coronavirus it’s still spreading out of control.  Could China done better? Absolutely, but it’s easy to criticize when we’re not at ground zero.  Do you honest think we could have done better?  

The President came out yesterday saying we’re good, we’re prepared, and everything is fine.  Why?  Because he’s concerned about politics, re-elections, and the stock markets.  He also, like China, throws out misinformation... blaming the market panic on Democrats (for example) when it’s obvious that companies are concerned about earnings.

If you want to know about the coronavirus, don’t listen to a politician (any politician), see what the CDC is saying because they’re the best in the world at what they do.  The CDC is on Facebook and Twitter.
    CloudTalkindtb200
  • Reply 7 of 15
    JWSC said:
    elijahg said:
    yeah nah, if that is all it took to get a revolution then the usa would have had one more recently than it has.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    Unless the Chinese people join together and say “enough is enough” to the Chinese government, the status quo will continue.  I don’t think the fall of the Chinese government will happen in my lifetime, but I think one day it will. 

Until then, it’s all in the hands of the Chinese people.  Every day nothing happens, they’re accepting it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Does anyone honestly think that the young doctor whistleblower really died from his coronovirus, or is that just the party line?  Pretty much all deaths have been the vulnerable: elderly and those with existing or immune-compromising conditions.  He was 34; otherwise fit; and would've had access to the best medical care available.

He was clearly murdered/assassinated because of his potential to reveal critical flaws in the government's early response, and his ability to undermine the party.  Because that's what fascist governments do.  His last message was a call for greater openness.  Sadly, that might've been the nail in his coffin; but he's since become a martyr of sorts.  One can only hope the Chinese people can see and remember facts like this.
    edited February 2020 elijahgdarkvader
  • Reply 10 of 15
    COVID-19 = Chinese Operational Virus Infection Deployment?
  • Reply 11 of 15
    well ... problem solved then. good job, everyone. see you next virus.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    sflocal said:
    Unless the Chinese people join together and say “enough is enough” to the Chinese government, the status quo will continue.  I don’t think the fall of the Chinese government will happen in my lifetime, but I think one day it will. 

Until then, it’s all in the hands of the Chinese people.  Every day nothing happens, they’re accepting it.
    The Chinese government is fairly popular as it happens. It's the economy. So is Modi in India and Putin, and the polish and Hungarian governments. Democratic liberalism may have peaked. 

• Reply 13 of 15
    The Chinese think the US did it. I would say its more likely that it was natural.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    asdasd said:
    The Chinese think the US did it. I would say its more likely that it was natural.
    Thanks for commenting on my post. It took me at least 30 minutes to come up with that.
    asdasd
  • Reply 15 of 15
    asdasd said:
    Thanks for commenting on my post. It took me at least 30 minutes to come up with that.
    Not a second wasted.