Corellium exploits iOS jailbreak to install Android on iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2020
Cybersecurity startup Corellium, which is being sued by Apple over alleged copyright infringement, on Wednesday revealed Project Sandcastle, a beta product that leverages the checkra1n jailbreak to launch a version of Android on older iPhone models.

Project Sandcastle
Project Sandcastle lets users run a limited version of Android on older iPhone models. | Source: Forbes

Shown off to Forbes, the Android-on-iPhone beta is designed as a type of proof of concept that demonstrates Apple's walled garden can -- to some extent -- be compromised.

"Apple restricts iPhone users to operate inside a sandbox, but users own that hardware, and they should be able to use that hardware the way they want. So where sandboxes create limits and boundaries on the hardware that users own, sandcastles provide an opportunity to create something new and wonderful from the limitless bounds of your imagination," Corellium said in a statement.

Corellium built Project Sandcastle with first-party tools, specifically virtualization software capable of creating an "ephemeral" phone within an iPhone. Because it relies on the checkra1n jailbreak, Corellium's beta product can infiltrate the latest iOS 13, but is restricted to iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus and iPod Touch. Support for other iPhone versions is in the works, though the jailbreak is unable to penetrate iPhone 11 and above.

If a new jailbreak is discovered, however, Project Sandcastle could use the exploit to run Android on current generation iPhones.

The new initiative is salt in the wound for Apple, which last year sued Corellium for allegedly infringing on iOS copyrights by selling iOS and device virtualization software. According to the lawsuit, the product portfolio includes virtual versions of iOS devices running what Apple calls unauthorized copies of iOS.

"Apple has, for years, attempted to lock down the iPhone and iPad under the guise of security when, in reality, it sought to exclude competition," David Hecht, partner at Pierce Bainbridge and Corellium's counsel told Forbes. "Apple's dominance allows it to decide everything from what apps will be allowed in the market to the commission it charges developers. Corellium's solution to run Android on iPhone will finally provide customers with a viable alternative to Apple's App Store and iOS."

Most recently, Apple roped Santander Bank and L3Harris Technologies into the legal fray with subpoenas demanding the companies turn over information detailing how they use Corellium's software. Apple also requested all communication between the firms and Corellium, as well as contracts and information about Corellium founder Chris Wade.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    i would think a viable alternative would be to buy an android phone.

seems a lot simpler
    Anilu_777qwwerahucom2000olsmike1lkruppStrangeDaysMplsPjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    carnegiecarnegie Posts: 1,078member
    That seems like it would be a violation of 17 USC §1201(a)(2) and/or 17 USC §1201(b).
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 25
    i would think a viable alternative would be to buy an android phone.

seems a lot simpler
    But how would that help Corellium provide a proof of concept that they could breach Apple's software?  Having an Android phone wasn't their goal.
    muthuk_vanalingambeowulfschmidt
  • Reply 4 of 25
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    If there is one indication of someone that has way too much time on their hand (and doesn't value that time), this is the perfect example of that.  

I suppose its to say they did it, but really.
    dewmeiHyAndy.HardwakeolsStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 25
    DAalsethDAalseth Posts: 2,783member
    ☘️So whataya be wanten to do a damn fool ting like dat der? ☘️
    Seriously this is like having an older Lexus so you decide to replace the motor with one from Daihatsu. As Carnegie said above, It would be a lot easer and likely cheaper to just get an Android phone. As it's designed to run Android it likely would work better.
    Anilu_777StrangeDaysMplsPwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Anilu_777Anilu_777 Posts: 526member
    It’s like a kid saying hey he can play truant. Ok. So he can. And next? Buy an Android if you want one. Black hat hackers like this aren’t wanted. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    ivanhivanh Posts: 597member
    When I buy an iPhone, I don’t see a clause about “planned obsolescence”.  But in fact, after a few years, the new iOS versions and apps can’t be installed in the older iPhones. Virtually, Apple has disabled older iPhones from functioning. It is planned obsolescence.

If the current IP laws don’t allow installation of an Android to current iPhone versions that I respect. But it’s also a monopolistic practice that law makers should protect the consumer rights. 
    spice-boy
  • Reply 8 of 25
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,252member
    ivanh said:
    When I buy an iPhone, I don’t see a clause about “planned obsolescence”.  But in fact, after a few years, the new iOS versions and apps can’t be installed in the older iPhones. Virtually, Apple has disabled older iPhones from functioning. It is planned obsolescence.

If the current IP laws don’t allow installation of an Android to current iPhone versions that I respect. But it’s also a monopolistic practice that law makers should protect the consumer rights. 
    It would be planned obsolescence if hardware never evolved. Computer hardware improves and software improves. Eventually my old computer won’t run the newest Photoshop or whatever. It’s always been like that, for every manufacturer. Phones are the same. Personally, I’m fine with trying to install foreign operating systems on old hardware. I’ve tried to install Linux on my old G4 but could never quite get it to work. 
    tmaydewmeAndy.HardwakeStrangeDaysFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 9 of 25
    sergiozsergioz Posts: 338member

checkra1n compatibility (supported devices):

• A5 - iPad 2, iPhone 4S, iPad Mini (1st generation)
    • A5X - iPad (3rd generation)
    • A6 - iPhone 5, iPhone 5C
    • A6X - iPad (4th generation)
    • A7 - iPhone 5S, iPad Air, iPad Mini 2, iPad Mini 3
    • A8 - Phone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPad mini 4
    • A8X - iPad Air 2
    • A9 - iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus, iPhone SE, iPad (2017) 5th Generation
    • A9X - iPad Pro (12.9 in.) 1st generation, iPad Pro (9.7 in.)
    • A10 - iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, iPad (2018, 6th generation), iPad (2019, 7th generation)
    • A10X - iPad Pro 10.5" (2017), iPad Pro 12.9" 2nd Gen (2017)
    • A11 - iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
    iHyjony0
  • Reply 10 of 25
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    ivanh said:

Really? I still have an iPhone 4s that functions quite well as a phone, iPod, Apple TV remote, and still very capable camera. If this is planned obsolescence I’d say that Apple is failing miserably at it. Samsung has already announced that their latest 2020 issue phones will only be supported with updates, other than security, for only two years. If you’re going to implement a planned obsolescence strategy I’d say Samsung’s approach puts Apple’s to shame. Heck, Samsung is basically telling you to start shopping for a casket to bury your brand spanking new sammy phone in as soon as you drive it out of the showroom.

As far as putting Android on an iPhone, what’s the point? It’s like putting a monkey brain in a human. Sure, the resultant creature would still be an electable presidential candidate, but why subject us to this kind of cruel experimentation - again? 
    pscooter63Andy.HardwakealanhcincymacDAalsethDogpersonradarthekatronnmike1StrangeDays
  • Reply 11 of 25

Project Sandcastle
    So that's how you make an ugly iPhone!
    radarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    *yawn*

Jail breaking to install none-Apple-approved software. 

Nothing new. 

Oh, it’s an OS! I see...

but an OS is... software...

in other words, big whoop. 

You have to have your phone jail broken. 

In other words, all of the se unity benefits of the iPhone have already been thrown out the window. 

This is about as pointless a thing as can be. 

—-

people buy iPhone because it:

looks better, has a better UI, runs better, is more secure, etc. 

if you wanted an android phone, you’d get one. 

If you wanted a great phone, you’d get an iPhone. 

If you just want to tinker, then that’s what you do. 

I think this whole thing fits the latter description. 

To each their own. 

—-

does nothing to dispel the iPhone as a secure platform. 

A jail broken phone is purposely compromised and it’s newfound vulnerable state has nothing to do with Apple. Just a poor decision by the end user to purposely hurt their own security. 

Bravo. 
    edited March 2020 Andy.Hardwakeradarthekatwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    kimberlykimberly Posts: 429member
    Quote from the article .. "Android-on-iPhone beta is designed as a type of proof of concept that demonstrates Apple's walled garden can -- to some extent -- be compromised".

Have I missed some other stated design parameter/s that everyone else seems to have questioned?
    avon b7
  • Reply 14 of 25
    iHyiHy Posts: 7member
    for me, the interesting thing here is this being some possibly direct measurement of performance and level of optimizations done on the os/device vs device/generic os. Like why android devices tend to have better specifications to run almost as good -- ie how good the Apple hardware really is and how much of it is hardware/software integration/optimizations...

A quick check in the drawer - I will do the software crossgrade in a beat to repurpose some older and not used iphone for software not available on ios. 

watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 25
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,284member
    "Apple restricts iPhone users to operate inside a sandbox, but users own that hardware, and they should be able to use that hardware the way they want. So where sandboxes create limits and boundaries on the hardware that users own, sandcastles provide an opportunity to create something new and wonderful from the limitless bounds of your imagination," Corellium said in a statement."

I actually regurgitated a little bit of my breakfast.
    ronnjpellinowatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 25
    sjworldsjworld Posts: 94member
    sflocal said:
    If there is one indication of someone that has way too much time on their hand (and doesn't value that time), this is the perfect example of that.  

I suppose its to say they did it, but really.
    People should be able to do as they please with their time without being judged by hypercritical airheads such as yourself. Be gone, Mr. Perfect.
    darkvader
  • Reply 17 of 25
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    That’s like deliberately putting a two-stroke gas-powered engine inside a Tesla.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 18 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    ivanh said:

Wrong. You continually display your lack of understanding of what these terms mean. That older hardware devices are eventually outpaced by newer software requirements and can no longer run a new OS is not an example of planned obsolescence. It’s simply obsolescence. See computing. 

iPhones in particular have a long shelf life, arguably the most useful lifespan on the market, which is why they command such high resale prices. People don’t pay good money for bad hardware. 
    edited March 2020 FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 25
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,877member
    Apple restricts iPhone users to operate inside a sandbox, but users own that hardware, and they should be able to use that hardware the way they want.”

This supposed security expert completely ignores that the purpose of sandboxing is entirely rooted in device security. Without sandboxing, it’s much easier for malicious software authors to attack hardware and inflict damages to users. Dur. He’s pretending there’s a mustache-twirling villainous intent on Apple’s part when it’s obvious and clear this isn’t the case. They speak about their device security goals all the time. 
    FileMakerFellerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jpellinojpellino Posts: 698member
    This is for bragging rights first.  

If the proof-of-concept is that you can rip the OS out, root and stem, then, well, OK.  But having your phone suddenly run another OS is not the same as having malicious apps somehow make their way to the springboard or malicious processes running in the background.  

As for obsolescence, my 2017 iPhone SE is no more "obsolete" than my 2010 Toyota.  Can it do everything the new one can?  Nope.  Can it still do everything it used to?  Yes.  Do I wish it could do more?  Yes.  That's not so much nefarious as it is a matter of having spent some time.  

I did however, count up how many commerce and personal services apps I would need to have in order to have "an app for that" fo all the businesses I am involved with.  I stopped counting after 40.  Most of the push for apps and services is for commercial ventures that will make money from it.  It's a matter of perspective as to how whiz-bang you want your tech to be.  

Now, put a DSLR-worthy imaging setup in a phone and I'll be tempted to massively upgrade.  The three-camera 11s are that temptation.  The only non-phone objects my phone has supplanted are my dedicated GPS, and every-day carry camera.  
    watto_cobra