Sonos ends 'Recycle Mode' for legacy products after consumer backlash

Posted:
in General Discussion
Sonos' Trade Up program will continue to offer discounts to customers with older wireless speakers from the company, but won't require customers to brick their products to participate.

The first generation Sonos Play:5
The first generation Sonos Play:5

Sonos is ending support for some of its oldest products in May. In an attempt to keep customers, the company has been attempting to encourage legacy product owners to participate in its Trade Up program.

Initially, the Trade Up program required users to put their devices in "Recycle Mode," a mode that permanently bricked the devices so they could not connect to a home network or other Sonos gear.

Sonos has now changed the requirements for the program. Customers will no longer need to brick their devices and to participate in the Trade Up program, according to Engadget.

The company will continue to honor the 30% off discount for any customer who validates a legacy product's serial number. Afterward, they're free to do whatever they want with the devices, including keeping them for years to come.

Sonos had also announced that while legacy products won't be getting new features, the company would continue to provide bug fixing and security patches for "as long as possible."

The legacy products affected are the original Zone Players, Connect, and Connect:Amp (launched in 2006; includes versions sold until 2015), first-generation Play:5 (launched 2009), CR200 (launched 2009), and Bridge (launched 2007).

Sonos is also working on a solution to split user devices into two groups, "modern" and "legacy," so that both can coexist in the home. Modern products will work together and receive the latest software features, while older products are separated into their own group but remain "in their current state."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    Nice move. I hope they have learned something about PR from this. 

Honestly, offering a discount to replace truly obsolete product is kind of a brilliant idea that incentivizes Sonos to keep their product in the field compatible with the latest software while rewarding loyal customers who still love their Sonos gear after many years of use. 

It’s too bad the upgrade program was rolled out so awkwardly. They have squandered what could have been a lot of goodwill. 
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 25
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    polymnia said:

Honestly, offering a discount to replace truly obsolete product is kind of a brilliant idea that incentivizes Sonos to keep their product in the field compatible with the latest software while rewarding loyal customers who still love their Sonos gear after many years of use. 

It’s too bad the upgrade program was rolled out so awkwardly. They have squandered what could have been a lot of goodwill. 
    I have 4 "truly obsolete products" -- Zone Players and Connect units, and they work as well today as the day I bought them.  They stream music from the internet and play it through an existing, connected stereo system or just a pair of speakers (in the case of a ZonePlayer which is amplified).  Not sure why I would need to spend over a thousand dollars to replace them with new hardware that does basically the same thing.  
    Beatsseanismorrisdysamoria
  • Reply 3 of 25
    seanismorrisseanismorris Posts: 1,624member
    polymnia said:

Bricking perfectly good hardware is a good thing?  Perhaps car manufacturers should do that. /s

Sonos is a trash company.  
    dysamoria
  • Reply 4 of 25
    polymnia said:

Bricking perfectly good hardware is a good thing?  Perhaps car manufacturers should do that. /s

If you read the article, they ARE NOT bricking perfectly good hardware anymore. 
    mac_dog
  • Reply 5 of 25
    We call what they did... "Doing a Ratner"

The owner of a chain or Jewellers, Gerald Ratner said that the stuff his shops sold was mostly cr*p. They didin't last very long after that.
    Shoot self in foot with gun.

I wouldn't own any of their kit now even if it was free.
    Companies that deliberately brick kit that you have bought need to be sued out of existence. This will come and it won't be far away.
    dysamoriawatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 25
    Afganblues Afganblues Posts: 11unconfirmed, member
    Still won’t ever buy another Sonos product. Their support is flaky when it comes to airplay and their tech support never gets back to you when they say they will. And now this fiasco. I have 3 HomePods I bought at Best Buy, each bought separately when they knocked $100 off the price, and when they do that again, I’ll buy another one for the kitchen and sell my Sonos’s on eBay. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 25
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

I have 4 "truly obsolete products" -- Zone Players and Connect units, and they work as well today as the day I bought them.  They stream music from the internet and play it through an existing, connected stereo system or just a pair of speakers (in the case of a ZonePlayer which is amplified).  Not sure why I would need to spend over a thousand dollars to replace them with new hardware that does basically the same thing.  
    Because they want you to give them more money. No other reason. Computer industry abusive laissez-faire capitalism.
  • Reply 8 of 25

polymnia said:
    polymnia said:

The point is that they WERE demanding it of customers. The policy was made. Some executives at Sonos thought it was an acceptable policy. They’re paying some kind of negative PR price for this now, as they should. This kind of abusive capitalism needs to be regulated out of existence.
  • Reply 9 of 25

Initially, the Trade Up program required users to put their devices in "Recycle Mode," a mode that permanently bricked the devices so they could not connect to a home network or other Sonos gear.

An utterly environmentally offensive, and utterly unethical business policy. This kind of abusive BS is why we need to regulate capitalism and corporations.
    mac_dog
  • Reply 10 of 25

ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

You don’t have to. Why would you if the software you use now meets your needs? 

I have 2 “truly obsolete products” myself. They meet my needs, too. 

It is nice to know that should some compelling new software feature become available, I can get a 30% upgrade discount from Sonos and keep/sell/recycle my old device at my discretion. 

It is unreasonable to expect Sonos to continue to make its latest software compatible with its oldest devices forever. 

How would customers feel if Sonos had presented this new software policy like this:

Our oldest hardware can no longer run our newest software. Good news, if you are happy with how your system works today, it will continue to work with the current software perpetually. However, if you want to follow where Sonos is going in the future, we will offer a 30% upgrade discount (one-per-serial-number) and you are free to sell or recycle your older device—even continue using it in legacy software mode if that would be useful. 

That is a policy that could have generated significant goodwill. Sadly, they botched it by trying to force retirement by bricking devices. Even now that they’ve reversed course, that’s all people want to talk about. 

What if Apple started offering 30% off a new iPhone if you still used one that no longer received iOS updates?
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 25
    We call what they did... "Doing a Ratner"

The owner of a chain or Jewellers, Gerald Ratner said that the stuff his shops sold was mostly cr*p. They didin't last very long after that.
    Shoot self in foot with gun.

I wouldn't own any of their kit now even if it was free.
    Companies that deliberately brick kit that you have bought need to be sued out of existence. This will come and it won't be far away.
    I'm not going to defend what was a dumb idea, except to point out that you voluntarily bricked your device in return for a 30% discount on a brand new device.

Bricking the old device was still a dumb idea and that requirement has been removed, but the 30% discount is still in effect.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 25

dysamoria said:

Initially, the Trade Up program required users to put their devices in "Recycle Mode," a mode that permanently bricked the devices so they could not connect to a home network or other Sonos gear.

An utterly environmentally offensive, and utterly unethical business policy. This kind of abusive BS is why we need to regulate capitalism and corporations.
    "regulation" was successful. The market spoke and the policy was reversed. Problem solved.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 25
    ITGUYINSDITGUYINSD Posts: 515member
    polymnia said:

ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

It is nice to know that should some compelling new software feature become available, I can get a 30% upgrade discount from Sonos and keep/sell/recycle my old device at my discretion. 

It is unreasonable to expect Sonos to continue to make its latest software compatible with its oldest devices forever. 

How would customers feel if Sonos had presented this new software policy like this:

Our oldest hardware can no longer run our newest software. Good news, if you are happy with how your system works today, it will continue to work with the current software perpetually. However, if you want to follow where Sonos is going in the future, we will offer a 30% upgrade discount (one-per-serial-number) and you are free to sell or recycle your older device—even continue using it in legacy software mode if that would be useful. 

That is a policy that could have generated significant goodwill. Sadly, they botched it by trying to force retirement by bricking devices. Even now that they’ve reversed course, that’s all people want to talk about. 

What if Apple started offering 30% off a new iPhone if you still used one that no longer received iOS updates?
    You missed my point.  You called them "truly obsolete products".  I say they are anything but obsolete.  Looking at the $450 Sonos PORT, it looks to do the same thing as my decade old ZP and Connect's.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    dysamoria said:

polymnia said:
    polymnia said:

The point is that they WERE demanding it of customers. The policy was made. Some executives at Sonos thought it was an acceptable policy. They’re paying some kind of negative PR price for this now, as they should. This kind of abusive capitalism needs to be regulated out of existence.
    My mistake. Your comment was written in the present tense. Your criticisms were of reversed policies.

You can choose to hold a grudge if you like.

I prefer to read this reversal as evidence that they have seen the light and won't attempt something as dumb as the "recycle mode" again.

If you look a bit more objectively at Sonos, they are the biggest, most accessible whole-home audio provider that doesn't require you to hire a certified installer. Sonos isn't owned by one of the major consumer electronics companies, they happily work with all hardware (phones, computers), digital assistant (Alexa, Google, of course, Apple won't let them at Siri) and streaming platforms (seriously, check out all the services they support, many I've never even heard of). They are a standard bearer for neutrality, when every other system I can think of wants to lock you in somehow.

Let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. "Recycle mode" was dumb. It was a mistake. But it never even happened before it was reversed. All the other things I love about Sonos have been built up over years and these attributes carry a lot more weight in my assessment.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

You missed my point.  You called them "truly obsolete products".  I say they are anything but obsolete.  Looking at the $450 Sonos PORT, it looks to do the same thing as my decade old ZP and Connect's.
    And you missed mine. "Truly obsolete", as in "Can't be upgraded to the new software"

From Wikipedia: Obsolescence is the state of being which occurs when an object, service, or practice is no longer wanted even though it may still be in good working order.

I own two of these obsolete Sonos devices myself. They are quite functional (with today's software, of course).

These are not mutually exclusive attributes. Many things I use everyday are obsolete, yet fully functional.

No one is coming for your Amps & Connects! You can keep them as long as you like. You just can't put new software on them and if you want to get a current device that will run the latest software, Sonos will give you 30% off on top of whatever you can get by selling the functional, obsolete device.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    Still won’t ever buy another Sonos product. Their support is flaky when it comes to airplay and their tech support never gets back to you when they say they will. And now this fiasco. I have 3 HomePods I bought at Best Buy, each bought separately when they knocked $100 off the price, and when they do that again, I’ll buy another one for the kitchen and sell my Sonos’s on eBay. 
    Wait, you can sell those?!? I though they were all bricked!

/s
  • Reply 17 of 25

ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

ITGUYINSD said:
    polymnia said:

Just to throw out a few things the new devices can do that yours (and mine) cannot:
    1. AirPlay 2
    2. HDMI ARC (for using with a TV)
    3. 4.1 surround modes using either conventional speakers of Sonos Speakers/subs
    4. Automation (switching inputs of connected 3rd party devices)
    5. Run future Sonos software
    I'd speculate there are other improvement that will only become apparent when new software the is released of the burden of backward compatibility becomes available. Some guesses:
    1. High Bitrate audio rendering
    2. More robust networking
    I'm not suggesting you want or need any of these things. Neither do I...Except maybe the AirPlay 2. I have a Beam and a Sonos One that have AirPlay 2 and it is pretty sweet!

• Reply 18 of 25
    rain22rain22 Posts: 132member
    dysamoria said:

It’s kinda like Apple soft-bricking phones to encourage upgrades. 
  • Reply 19 of 25
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Overall I agree with Polymnia, and I say this as someone who has dealt with Sonos many times over the years for others but have never bought a Sonos and never plan to.

His comment about getting 30% off a new iPhone for simply allowing one that is stuck on outdated version of iOS to be bricked and recycled help illuminate the scenario for me. I absolutely would do that and I would imagine that most others here would too, along with championing Apple's devotion to recycling and customer support as a result.

As Polymnia also points out, Sonos botched this brilliant idea. He's clearly not supporting the way they went about explaining what was going on to customers.

The only part of his comments that I'd take umbrage with is the term "truly obsolete" if it can still able to be used in its original manner for its original intention. With how slowly many update their HEC, an older Sonos on an older TV with an older sound system may still be a perfect fit. Now, Polymnia did qualify his term to include "truly obsolete product" which I could argue is different from device, as a product is from the seller's PoV and device is from their owner's, but in this case I'd have needed that to be elaborated on to take his side on that one specific point.

To re-ask his question: What if Apple started offering 30% off a new iPhone if you still used one that no longer received iOS updates?
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Soli said:
    Overall I agree with Polymnia, and I say this as someone who has dealt with Sonos many times over the years for others but have never bought a Sonos and never plan to.

His comment about getting 30% off a new iPhone for simply allowing one that is stuck on outdated version of iOS to be bricked and recycled help illuminate the scenario for me. I absolutely would do that and I would imagine that most others here would too, along with championing Apple's devotion to recycling and customer support as a result.

As Polymnia also points out, Sonos botched this brilliant idea. He's clearly not supporting the way they went about explaining what was going on to customers.

The only part of his comments that I'd take umbrage with is the term "truly obsolete" if it can still able to be used in its original manner for its original intention. With how slowly many update their HEC, an older Sonos on an older TV with an older sound system may still be a perfect fit. Now, Polymnia did qualify his term to include "truly obsolete product" which I could argue is different from device, as a product is from the seller's PoV and device is from their owner's, but in this case I'd have needed that to be elaborated on to take his side on that one specific point.

To re-ask his question: What if Apple started offering 30% off a new iPhone if you still used one that no longer received iOS updates?
    I do get the “obsolete” is a troublesome term, more appropriate from the manufacturer’s POV. I think using the word “functional” is more appropriate from the customer’s POV. And “non functional” when the device is so far gone that it can’t stream Apple Music (for example) due to changes in how it’s delivered that Sonos cannot or will not update their “obsolete” devices. 

Sonos is trying to adjust from the early growth stage of their platform to managing this mature, even aging, platform. The “recycle mode” upgrade discount fiasco shows their inexperience here. The reversal of the policy shows a willingness to learn from mistakes. Something we probably all wish Apple would do a little more often