Apple TV+ Review: 'Amazing Stories' gets off to a middling start

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 23
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,130member
    The basic problem with AppleTV+ is that the company approached it with the idea of throwing a bunch of money at creative people who have already made it decades ago and don’t have the hunger anymore. Oprah, Jen Aniston, Spielberg, etc... It’s all just tired stuff and incredibly safe. Of course they want the money, they all have expensive lifestyles to maintain. Apple is never going to have the same kind of creative success that Netflix has unless they really separate this division from the rest of the company.  They would be much better served owning a studio that is not called “Apple” that produces exclusive/non-exclusive content for them. This company could make creatively riskier and more interesting films and TV shows and not worry if the plot/themes will reflect on how people perceive iPhones and macs and the rest of the company.
    I agree entirely. This first episode is nothing more than a rehash of a plot that’s been done over and over, done in the style of a Hallmark syrupy love story. Apple should either bring these productions up to the excellent standards of their other products, or leave file and TV production to the people who know how. 
  • Reply 22 of 23

We seem to be in the "Apple can't crack this. This Apple product is mediocre. It will never pick up. This is a flop" stage of Apple TV+.

If nothing else, I'm glad that Apple TV + is not another channel of licenced content, further adding to the confusion of "which channel can I find this show/ movie".

lolliver
  • Reply 23 of 23
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,445moderator

We seem to be in the "Apple can't crack this. This Apple product is mediocre. It will never pick up. This is a flop" stage of Apple TV+.

If nothing else, I'm glad that Apple TV + is not another channel of licenced content, further adding to the confusion of "which channel can I find this show/ movie".

I think that kind of safe content is needed to keep a broad base of users interested in the platform. So many new shows these days seem to have a particular audience/demographic they want to target and when they don't perform amazingly well, they are only appealing to a fraction of a fraction of the user base. I always just wanted a streaming service to offer a library of all Blu-Ray releases and you get to view say 2-3 per month. These can be rented individually like here $3.99:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/wonder-woman-2017/id1235765633

If the AppleTV+ service had a list of all movies by year and allow 3 movie watches for $9.99/month (possibly with higher tiers) plus their original content, that would offer a much wider array of accessible content and they can allow 15 minute previews of movies so people can find something worth watching and add the movies to a watch list. If a user runs out of their allowance, the service can offer individual rentals.

There's not really an equivalent of Apple Music or Spotify for the movie industry just now and it can't be the same because of the nature of each industry but it can take some of the key elements. This includes discoverability, large content library, new and popular content, instant access.

They can link content together this way. A lot of Apple originals are made by people who have previously made popular content:

https://www.macworld.com/article/3245534/list-of-apple-tv-plus-shows-and-series-news-actors-trailers-release-dates.html

With The Banker, they could have an event that promotes Samuel L. Jackson movies. The Morning Show could recommend movies with Carrell, Anniston, Witherspoon. Amazing Stories could link to Spielberg movies.

It's easy to forget that old content is original content to new generations of people. Some people have never seen Indiana Jones, Star Wars or Back to the Future.

Some companies are locking down their content to their own services, which creates a problem. For example Disney removing content from Netflix to put on Disney+:

https://decider.com/2019/12/05/thor-ragnarok-streaming-on-disney-plus/

but they are available to rent on iTunes:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/thor-ragnarok/id1298386140 ($2.99)

Being able to tell people that the movies they really like will always be available and instantly accessible is reassuring. It would need a mixed-mode subscription and Apple would be in the position to aggregate the payments so if one user prefers original content and TV shows, they can offer better deals to people who prefer movies. And they have the capital to run this with their free trial.