Apple may add screens to MacBook Pro trackpads and keyboards

Posted:
in General Discussion edited June 2020
A future Apple MacBook Pro may have Touch Bar-like displays and controls in their trackpads or in the keyboard's space bar, to provide additional surfaces for information to be provided to the user like shortcuts or autocorrect choices.

AppleInsider mockup of a future MacBook Pro trackpad, based on drawings in the patent application
AppleInsider mockup of a future MacBook Pro trackpad, based on drawings in the patent application

After recent patents hinted that Apple may still be examining touch screens for the MacBook Pro, a new application shows that it also intends to built on its Touch Bar. Future MacBook Pro models may add integrated extra displays into their trackpads and keyboards.

The system would not replace whole of the regular keyboard with a touch-sensitive screen, but rather add displays into into the space bar or the trackpad.

"Auxiliary text display integrated into a keyboard device," US Patent No 10,585,494, shows multiple configurations of how such a keyboard would look, and what functions it would bring.

"[Few] advances have been made in recent years to improve typing efficiency for users operating desktop and laptop computers," says the patent. "Therefore, an improved keyboard design is needed in order to increase efficiency and improve the user experience when typing on desktop and laptop computers."

One part of the patent application describes what appears to be the existing Touch Bar, just concentrating on the displaying of autocorrect or autocomplete-like text. Apple refers to this as being one "example placement of the auxiliary display above a set of keys on the lower portion."

One suggestion is to bring Touch Bar-like autocorrection or autocompletion suggestions into the space bar itself
One suggestion is to bring Touch Bar-like autocorrection or autocompletion suggestions into the space bar itself

A similar example shows the space bar displaying autocorrect or autocomplete suggestions.

Throughout the patent application, Apple breaks down a MacBook Pro-like device into an upper portion with the main display, and a lower one with the keyboard plus this "auxiliary display" in the trackpad or space bar.

Apple does seem to rather assume that touch-typing is a thing of the past. "In a typical computer system, when a user is typing on a keyboard," says the patent, "it is difficult for the user to maintain visual focus on both the keys being typed and the main display rendering the typed characters."

"To view both the keys being pressed and the results of the typing presented on the display," it continues, "a user may be forced to repeatedly shift his or her field of view between the keyboard and the main display or monitor. This continual shifting may slow down or interrupt typing activity, which may limit or reduce the user's productivity and/or the efficiency of typing operations."

The presumption is that users are hunt-and-peck typists, so this "may help improve typing efficiency by allowing the user to focus on the auxiliary display within the keyboard during typing operations."

However, it will always be an auxiliary, or extra, display. "[The] auxiliary display may render a series of characters corresponding to the most recently typed keys," continues the patent, "[but the] same characters may also be rendered on the main display in accordance with a word-processing or text editing application."

The patent proposes that showing the most recently-typed words, and then proposing "suggested words or phrases to complete a word or sentence," will improve typing speed and accuracy.

Holding down a key could cause the trackpad to offer keyboard shortcut suggestions. Note how the drawing shows the Windows-like Control key being used instead of Command
Holding down a key could cause the trackpad to offer keyboard shortcut suggestions. Note how the drawing shows the Windows-like Control key being used instead of Command

Selecting a suggested word or phrase means that the auxiliary display would need to be touch-sensitive. Trackpads are already touch-sensitive, but this patent suggests a Force Touch-like feature where "a user may use a light touch to select a word."

With both the trackpad and a space bar containing an auxiliary display, there is the issue of how the user's own hand position can get in the way.

"Because the auxiliary display is located on the keyboard near the user's hands, the auxiliary display may be adapted to detect when a user's finger or other object visually obstructs a portion of the auxiliary display," continues the patent. "In response to the detection of an obstruction, the auxiliary display may be configured to adapt the arrangement of the information displayed to reduce or avoid the detected obstruction."

As well as autocorrection or autocompletion, the information that could be displayed includes possibly helpful instructions. For instance, holding down the Command key might result in the space bar showing the C, V and X keystrokes for Copy, Paste and Cut.

Curiously, the patent drawing that shows this has the user holding down the Control key rather than Command.

The patent is credited to John A. Porcella and Kyle J. Nekimken, neither of whom appear to have any previous patents.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Considering autocorrect in iOS quickly devolves into a random word nightmare for no apparent reason so often, this feature would immediately be disabled for me.
    javacowboy
  • Reply 2 of 16
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,931member
    The touch bar already has autocorrect on it and I never use it because my eyes are not the screen, not on the Touch Bar. Adding more 'screens' on the keyboard/trackpad would really be the same thing - a distraction from the screen which is what you're really interested in. 

I can see potential use for something like this with applications that use a customized keyboard, but that's a more specialized application that I don't think would be broadly applicable
    cgWerksjavacowboy
  • Reply 3 of 16
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    MplsP said:
    The touch bar already has autocorrect on it and I never use it because my eyes are not the screen, not on the Touch Bar. Adding more 'screens' on the keyboard/trackpad would really be the same thing - a distraction from the screen which is what you're really interested in. 
    Agree with this.  I don't see why they're pursuing different places to put screens when it would be both easier and more effective to display autocorrect suggestions in line or close by the text on the main screen.  Software is fine, no new hardware required.
    javacowboy
  • Reply 4 of 16
    This could be useful in typing Chinese, where predictive technologies are central and the basic problem addressed in this patent application is paramount: “... a user may be forced to repeatedly shift his or her field of view between the keyboard and the main display ...” 

A display on the keyboard that shows options other than the one the predictive input method has chosen would be useful. I’ve never owned a Touch Bar, so I don’t know if the current Chinese input methods use it. I think I would probably have heard about it if they did, but perhaps not.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    You know the "killer app" for having the trackpad be a screen will be for selecting emojis.  At least that will be what's demoed.  

I agree that the predictive word thing is completely overrated.  I suppose there must be some people who use it, but I don't find it efficient to use even on a phone and never on a laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    This is what I wanted for the Mac before the Touch Bar was introduced. Even now, on the odd occasion when I go full screen I'd like for Menu Bar items to be placed in the top of the trackpad area with touch sensitive buttons and dropdowns akin to how the Menu Bar has always worked. But it's 2020 and this is the 5th year with having the Touch Bar so I don't see that happening.

Want I can see is this patent being used for another implementation where a trackpad does alter its text elements so it's dynamic utility is more clear to the user. For example, I like BMW's iDrive touch controller over having to extend my arm to use the infotainment system to control key aspects of the car, but without a display you can occasionally glance at you have to limit the controls. If Apple is still pursuing an automobile they could take the benefits of iDrive and make it more powerful and safer for the driver.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Wow - another TouchBar.. Follow me as well follow the bounding ball here, Apple: 1) Add it as a "up-sale gimmick" to the "high-end" models 2) Developers can't be sure that it will be there for *all* their potential users 3) Developers don't use it to it's full potential, because they have to either omit features for "low-end" systems, or duplicate the functionality in other ways. This will limit what they choose to do with a potential "track-screen" 4) Developers decide it's too much of a hassle to figure out this, so don't use it as Apple "intended" - as an "innovative new UX concept" Result: 5a) Apple doesn't get the message, and drops the it 2 or 3 iterations later. See iPhone Force Touch [1], or 5b) Apple maybe keeps it (TouchBar), but still only on the "high-end" systems, and it remains a "gimmick". Mission accomplished! Apple creates a potentially innovative technology that ends up not being used to its full potential because they *under*-use it (not putting T-Bar on everything, Force Touch [1]). Or they don't allow developers to access all of it (WatchKit [2]). Or they under-promote it (Ink, which is effectively dead because they haven't bothered to recompile it with the "64-bit" checkbox checked (Note I don't really know how difficult it would be for them to "update" it for 64-bit). I'd argue this all comes back to the Steve-Jobs-era idea (one of his worser ones) that "only we know best" how people "can" (read "should") use our technology. And sometimes they shoot themselves in the foot, at least temporarily. Witness the way they hobbled the original iPhone app model to be WebKit-and-JS only (mentioned in [2]). Apps didn't take off until they allowed developers access to (at least a good portion) of the underlying OS. Now apps are a multi-million dollar sub-industry for them (I'm assuming the numbers here). [1] "No One Knew 3D Touch Existed, and Now It’s Dead" (https://www.howtogeek.com/366074/no-one-knew-3d-touch-existed-and-now-its-going-away/) [2] "WatchKit is a sweet solution that will only ever give us baby apps" (https://marco.org/2018/02/26/watchkit-baby-apps)
  • Reply 8 of 16
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    Screens to MacBook Pro trackpads....

YES, YES, YES! Waiting for that long. Why hunt pointer around screen when dialog buttons could appear on trackpad!

watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Re: Chinese input         (paragraph break simulated by space.. Why does AppleInsider think paragraphs are verboten? They make things easier to read - that's why paragraphs were invented.)             Add Apple Pencil support to the trackpad hardware (oh, the *horror*, as SJ rolls in his grave). Don't know if Chinese/CJK OCR is yet up to the task though. Or check the "64-bit" checkbox and recompile the Ink preference pane (see my previous comment).           Re: Touch typing is dead..           Sad. Just sad. I think the *single* most useful class after grade 5 was the 6-week touch-typing section. (US school system [1])           (2) After grade 5 in the US school system. Basically after learning "the basics" of reading, writing, arithmetic. Note: before Common Core and the "make a ten" nonsense they seem to teach now, and teachers not understanding that (non-quaternion [2]) multiplication is commutative [3], and when students knew that you could 83 centers in change without shelling out 8 dimes (another thing going to way of the dodo, maybe due to "make a ten" nonsense. But never mind that - "real money" is becoming obsolete too.. Wait till the zombies and/or robot overlords attack [4].)           (2) I think I actually *did at least glance at the concept of quaternions in 5th grade. I seem to remember looking at a picture of Hamilton's famous "quaternion plaque". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Inscription_on_Broom_Bridge_(Dublin)_regarding_the_discovery_of_Quaternions_multiplication_by_Sir_William_Rowan_Hamilton.jpg)              (3) "Why '5+5+5=15' is wrong under Common Core" (https://www.businessinsider.com/why-55515-is-wrong-under-the-common-core-2015-10)             (4) "The Unnatural Ethics of AI Could Be Its Undoing" (https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-unnatural-ethics-of-ai-could-be-its-undoing)
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 10 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,452member
    Apple should just go all the way and put an iPad 13” touchscreen in place of the hardware keyboard and trackpad. No point going in with half measures. 
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    jswitte01 said:
    Re: Chinese input (paragraph break simulated by space.. Why does AppleInsider think paragraphs are verboten? They make things easier to read - that's why paragraphs were invented.)       Add Apple Pencil support to the trackpad hardware (oh, the *horror*, as SJ rolls in his grave). Don't know if Chinese/CJK OCR is yet up to the task though. Or check the "64-bit" checkbox and recompile the Ink preference pane (see my previous comment).         Re: Touch typing is dead..       Sad. Just sad. I think the *single* most useful class after grade 5 was the 6-week touch-typing section. (US school system [1])       (2) After grade 5 in the US school system. Basically after learning "the basics" of reading, writing, arithmetic. Note: before Common Core and the "make a ten" nonsense they seem to teach now, and teachers not understanding that (non-quaternion [2]) multiplication is commutative [3], and when students knew that you could 83 centers in change without shelling out 8 dimes (another thing going to way of the dodo, maybe due to "make a ten" nonsense. But never mind that - "real money" is becoming obsolete too.. Wait till the zombies and/or robot overlords attack [4].)       (2) I think I actually *did at least glance at the concept of quaternions in 5th grade. I seem to remember looking at a picture of Hamilton's famous "quaternion plaque". (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Inscription_on_Broom_Bridge_(Dublin)_regarding_the_discovery_of_Quaternions_multiplication_by_Sir_William_Rowan_Hamilton.jpg)         (3) "Why '5+5+5=15' is wrong under Common Core" (https://www.businessinsider.com/why-55515-is-wrong-under-the-common-core-2015-10)        (4) "The Unnatural Ethics of AI Could Be Its Undoing" (https://getpocket.com/explore/item/the-unnatural-ethics-of-ai-could-be-its-undoing)
    We don't.

As demonstrated, paragraph breaks work fine.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Apple at it again, patent-trolling innovations someone else created. (i.e. Asus Zenbook which came out 2 years ago.)
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Apple at it again, patent-trolling innovations someone else created. (i.e. Asus Zenbook which came out 2 years ago.)
    The patent was filed for in 2008.
    edited March 2020 rundhvidfastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Apple does seem to rather assume that touch-typing is a thing of the past.
    I can assure you this is not true for many people, including myself.  My external keyboard has blank keycaps.

• Reply 15 of 16
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 756member
    tht said:
    Apple should just go all the way and put an iPad 13” touchscreen in place of the hardware keyboard and trackpad. No point going in with half measures. 

It is about price, power consumption and user experience. I would say that many people still prefer mechanical keyboard. It will end up like that once probably. Wen price and power consumption of display will meet requirements. Mayne Mini or Micro LED displays could bring this.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,305member
    These things already exist on some Windows laptops, and I think they look terrible. That said, for some strange reason a LOT of people don't know how to touch-type, and so they're already looking down and it could be a benefit to them. Make it optional, and translucent rather than an obvious screen, and I could see the value of it even though I'm a touch-typist.

I'd worry a lot about how abusive some people are with their trackpad, but I'm sure Apple will have thought of that.

For the record, being able to easily get to the emojis and/or predictive text via the touchbar when using Messages is a great help, and I do use the touchbar in other apps (especially audio and video editing, and Photos). I find it very useful in a number of ways when presenting a slideshow, as well. Haters should be more open-minded, but then they wouldn't be haters and we can't have that, now can we? 😜