Apple China leaks four new iPad Pro models coming soon

Posted:
in iPad edited March 2020
A new iPad user manual posted to Apple's Chinese-language website appears to have accidentally disclosed that the company is gearing up to release four new iPad Pro models sometime soon.

2019 iPad Pro on top of 2018 iPad Pro 12.9-inch
2020 iPad Pro mockup on top of 2018 iPad Pro 12.9-inch

All of the iPad Pro model numbers have been previously disclosed by regulatory filings by the European Economic Commission (ECC). Three of the models popped up in mid-2019, and the remaining model emerged on Monday.

New iPad Pro models spotted in Chinese documentation - photo credit iPhone in Canada
New iPad Pro models spotted in Chinese documentation - photo credit iPhone in Canada

However, the ECC doesn't detail specifics, beyond operating system and the fact that it is an iPad of some sort.

Four new iPad Pro models

• A2228 - 11-inch iPad Pro with Wi-Fi
  • A2229 - 12.9-inch iPad Pro with Wi-Fi
  • A2231 - 11-inch iPad Pro with LTE
  • A2233 - 12.9-inch iPad Pro with LTE
The manual, first spotted by iPhone in Canada on early Tuesday morning, details radio frequency exposure to users, as well as how iPads use wireless networks.

Beyond just a new camera lens, rumors predict that a 2020 iPad Pro revision will contain a more powerful variant of the iPhone 11 A13 Bionic processor, and one rumor from improved antenna tech is expected to arrive in the unit as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 14
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    At this point, I consider anything coming out of China untrustworthy. The US needs to do whatever it takes to decouple from reliance on that country.
    tmay
  • Reply 2 of 14
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Woohoo! Always good to have more and more rumors of a product that is coming. Confirms that it is going to ship. Still, I will hold out until the miniLED iPad comes out. miniLED and 8 GB RAM.

Still lots of conflicting rumors. A spring update, a fall update, 3-cam cluster and ToF sensor, glass backs, new keyboard accessory with trackpad, A14X, A13X, glass back, 5G, miniLED. miniLED and 8 GB are my most wanted features. The camera bump for the 3-cam cluster is my least wanted feature. It"s going to be even more bumpy isn't. Like, 8 to 9 mm thick.

A case that is flush with the camera bump will make it 8 to 9 mm thick. The Smart Folio will make it about 10 to 11 mm thick. A Smart Keyboard will make it about as thick as a MBP13. Ugh, hopefully a nice leather sleeve comes out. I prefer it to be as thin as possible.
    caladanian
  • Reply 3 of 14
    Why would the 2020 top-of-the-line iPad Pro come with a SoC (A13) from last year instead of the current chip (A14)? Makes no sense. 
  • Reply 4 of 14
    davgregdavgreg Posts: 1,037member
    I never use the camera on the iPad Pro and really think it should be left off. The FaceTime camera is fine.

Not seeing anything special as a reason to upgrade if this is the unit.
    agilealtitude
  • Reply 5 of 14
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    davgreg said:
    I never use the camera on the iPad Pro and really think it should be left off. The FaceTime camera is fine.

So just because you never use it, Apple should leave it off of all iPads?

The iPad Pro is a pricey device, the camera should remain.

When I buy my next iPad Pro, I will of course expect it to have a very good camera.
    OnPartyBusinesswatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    Why would the 2020 top-of-the-line iPad Pro come with a SoC (A13) from last year instead of the current chip (A14)? Makes no sense. 
    A13 is the current chip. A14 is expected in the fall.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 14
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    At this point, I consider anything coming out of China untrustworthy. The US needs to do whatever it takes to decouple from reliance on that country.
    Easier said than done. Nothing is coming back to the U.S. The U.S. has neither the workforce nor the talent and that's the truth. India may have the workforce but not the talent. Some random person off the street can't start assembling a iPhone without intense training and experience. It's taken years for Foxconn to assemble and train its workforce. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 14
    You did say a "variant of the A13". It's like the "variant" between an Intel Core Y and Core U/H processor. iPad Pro processors will be slightly faster in single core, have 1 or 2 more CPU core clusters, have double the memory channels and double the GPU performance. Amazing how much more performance another 3 to 4 Watts can afford here.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 14
    Who said that? The billionaire founder of a multinational that moved jobs to the cheapest country possible and that then tell the American workforce that they should do “more value added jobs” while doing tax elusion & BEPS for billions of dollars and probably lobby for “better education”. 
    At least do not repeat their marketing messages as universal wisdom.

lkrupp said:
    Easier said than done. Nothing is coming back to the U.S. The U.S. has neither the workforce nor the talent and that's the truth. India may have the workforce but not the talent. Some random person off the street can't start assembling a iPhone without intense training and experience. It's taken years for Foxconn to assemble and train its workforce. 

• Reply 10 of 14
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    tht said:
    You did say a "variant of the A13". It's like the "variant" between an Intel Core Y and Core U/H processor. iPad Pro processors will be slightly faster in single core, have 1 or 2 more CPU core clusters, have double the memory channels and double the GPU performance. Amazing how much more performance another 3 to 4 Watts can afford here.
    I'm not sure what you're responding to. I was responding to politicalslug who said that the A14 was the current chip -- that hasn't even been released yet.
    fastasleepwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 14
    tht said:
    I'm not sure what you're responding to. I was responding to politicalslug who said that the A14 was the current chip -- that hasn't even been released yet.
    An A13X would be a top of the line chip, especially if it is fabbed on 5 nm, and won't be slower than the A14 going into the iPhone. When you said "variant", that's what I thought you meant.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member
    So we basically don't know anything other than Apple is releasing new iPads "of some sort" someday.

Excellent work.  Report back when you have something. 
    canukstorm
  • Reply 13 of 14
    flydogflydog Posts: 1,123member

davgreg said:

I don't use the Maps or Music apps on my iPad.  Don't use Screen Sharing, FaceTime, or Siri either, so let's leave all of those out too.  
  • Reply 14 of 14
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    tht said:

A case that is flush with the camera bump will make it 8 to 9 mm thick. The Smart Folio will make it about 10 to 11 mm thick. A Smart Keyboard will make it about as thick as a MBP13. Ugh, hopefully a nice leather sleeve comes out. I prefer it to be as thin as possible.
    That was my only real complaint about the iPad Pro — no Smart Cover like on other iPads attached to the side, you had to get a full front/back Folio or whatever. Originally I ordered the Apple one ($80! For a thin plastic sleeve) and hated the feel of it — sharp corners, etc. Replaced it with a similar, only very slightly thicker 3rd party one off Amazon for $15 that I preferred the feel of a bit. Either way, both covers added quite a bit of thickness. Not sure why they couldn't have added some magnets into the side for a Smart Cover, but it's unfortunate. I kept mine in a double pocket sleeve with my Mac, so only needed the cover to protect the display somewhat as well as act like a stand.

That said, mine was stolen while on vacation a couple weeks ago, so I'm ready to replace it as soon as these come out. One of my favorite Apple devices ever in conjunction with the Pencil 2.
    watto_cobra