Apple isn't planning on limiting CarPlay just to a car's head unit

Posted:
in General Discussion edited March 2020
Instead of CarPlay stuck on a separate display on a vehicle's head unit, Apple is working on integrating CarPlay into a car's regular dashboard -- and it may be a hint at how Apple itself may implement it in the Apple Car.

Future CarPlay versions will take over a car's own dashboard displays and fit navigation instructions there.
Future CarPlay versions will take over a car's own dashboard displays and fit navigation instructions there.

While CarPlay saw its first major overhaul with iOS 13 in 2019, future versions may look radically different. A new patent application shows Apple looking to integrate CarPlay much more deeply into cars. To present its navigation information, especially, to drivers in the most useful, and least distracting way, future CarPlay may display its information in the car's regular dashboard controls.

"Instrument cluster metadata to support second screen," US Patent No 10,594,850, describes both the intention of keeping a driver's attention better focused, and also what CarPlay will have to do to achieve this.

"Over the past decade, user handheld device deployment such as the iPhone... have grown rapidly," says the patent, "The accuracy, functionality, and usability of navigation applications have made them some of the most used applications on handheld device platforms."

"However, barriers and limitations to a very desired use case, automobile navigation, persist," it continues. It describes how even when it's legal to hold an iPhone while driving, it is dangerous and cumbersome. "Past attempts at resolving these problems have involved interfaces to connect to head units in automobiles. However, this approach still can lead to the driver removing his [or her] visual focus from what is occurring in front of the car, and placing it on the head unit."

Under the new proposal, CarPlay will first of all either interrogate the car's systems for details, or more likely work from manufacturer-supplied information. In either case, it will be looking for what displays the car's dash already has, and then specific details about each one.

The current CarPlay using iOS 13. There's nothing wrong with that, but this display is to the right of the steering wheel, and so takes the driver's attention off the road.
The current CarPlay using iOS 13. There's nothing wrong with that, but this display is to the right of the steering wheel, and so takes the driver's attention off the road.

CarPlay will look for what fonts are used by the car, what the character size and width limits are, plus what graphics capability they have.

"Based on instrument cluster display capabilities, the smart phone packages metadata, including formatting information specific to the display on the instrument cluster, in order to indicate to the driver an upcoming navigation change," continues the patent.

"This includes formatting turn by turn navigations, distance until next turn, estimated time until next turn, and instructing them to load an appropriate graphic," it says.

This still requires the driver to look at the dashboard, so it isn't as conducive to keeping one's eyes on the road as a windscreen-projected heads-up display would be. However, it's significantly better than having to look to one side to a separate screen. Not only does it require less head and eye movement, but the driver is already used to registering information on the dash as he or she drives.

"The instrument cluster may be situated just beneath the driver's focus during operation so that when the driver needs feedback from the vehicle, the instrument cluster is in the optimal place for viewing without necessitating losing focus on the road in front of the vehicle," concludes the patent.

The majority of the patent description details how the most basic navigation could work, and how it needs to present relatively little information to the driver at any one time. Turn by turn details can be described in a few text characters, for instance, or perhaps with just an arrow.

Detail from the patent showing that navigation detail from an iPhone can be routed to one display showing just icons (top left), or full graphics (top middle)
Detail from the patent showing that navigation detail from an iPhone can be routed to one display showing just icons (top left), or full graphics (top middle)

Lane control needs more and so do options like rerouting for traffic, and recent additions such as sharing ETA. Depending on the car and its dashboard displays, CarPlay may be able to utilize any part of that to show extra information. It's more likely, though, that some kind of second display will be needed.

This could be the same kind of navigation or entertainment control screen we commonly see today, but CarPlay may route specific information to different types of display all at the same time. That can include these separate screens, the car's own dashboard ones -- or a heads-up display.

"[The] instrument cluster may contain a secondary display... [which] may be embedded in the center of the instrument cluster," says the patent. "Alternatively, the secondary display may be located outside of the instrument cluster. The secondary display may be of varying capability. [It] may be only capable of displaying text [or] displaying graphics in addition to text. One example of a secondary display outside of the instrument cluster include heads-up displays (HUDs)."

Achieving all of this requires the cooperation of car manufacturers, and Apple is likely to get that simply because of how many already support the current version of CarPlay. The one manufacturer it is certain to get doing this, though, is Apple itself.

As well as a useful addition for future versions of CarPlay in any car, this patent is a interesting insight into how Apple may be planning to use it in the forthcoming Apple Car. Previous patents have suggested that the Apple Car may even control CarPlay through a smart seatbelt.

The patent is credited to three inventors -- Joshua C. Weinberg, Thomas R. Powell, and David Rix Nelson. Weinberg has previous related patents such as ones on "Map application with improved navigation tools," and "Hierarchy of tools for navigation."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    I think HUD’s would be the most obvious choice. They aren’t in many modern vehicles so Apple could “help” create a standard format that would work well across all manufacturers. Every manufacturer has their own design language when it comes to the gauges. I can’t see any of them giving up or compromising on that space.
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 2 of 16
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Apple Car? Seriously?

The only hope for the Apple car is if TSLA plummets to $250 on low sales and plant closure, and Tim Cook finally has the guts to do a hostile takeover, offering about $60 billion for it. 
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 3 of 16
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    They is no “Apple Car” coming.  

Apple really shi* the bed here.  Huge amount of money spent,  no go to market plan, aimless research and patents

Window of opportunity rapidly closing

edited March 2020
  • Reply 4 of 16
    We own an ‘01 Silverado and an ‘01 Grand Am. I had to check Web to learn what head units are. Guess I should stop buying Apple gear and save for new rides. 

Nah. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 16
    NYC362NYC362 Posts: 80member
    This would be great. 
    I have a 2018 VW Tiguan.  The dashboard is one large electronic display.  If I use the VW nav system, it’s right in front of me.  If I use Apple Maps via CarPlay, it is only on the center display- I need to turn my head to the right to see what’s going on. 
    I always wondered why don’t they use the main dashboard display. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    We own an ‘01 Silverado and an ‘01 Grand Am. I had to check Web to learn what head units are. Guess I should stop buying Apple gear and save for new rides. 

Nah. 
    IIRC, both your cars are dual-DIN. You could always get a third party CarPlay head unit if you were so inclined.
    StrangeDaysrazorpitBeatsking editor the gratewatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 16
    We recently bought a very clean 2014 Mercedes ML 350 and have been looking and asking for how to make it CarPlay compatible. There's a lot of contradictory information out there. I'm still confused, but it looks as though I'm not able to buy a third party head unit and just pop it in, due to Mercedes using fiber optics in its connection. 

Not a fan of Mercedes' Comand system - anything requiring a half-inch thick instruction manual to explain how it works is not for me! 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    zimmiezimmie Posts: 651member
    CarPlay has actually supported this for a few years.

When a connection is established, the car sends data about its displays and controls to the phone. This data includes how many displays and their size, and as of iOS 13 a "safe" area for each display and optionally display area and safe area resize notifications. Check out the WWDC 2019 videos. There's a really cool session (Advances in CarPlay Systems) discussing this.

Once the phone knows how many displays and what size and type they are, it generates one or more MPEG-4 AVC video streams which it sends to the car. The car sends a stream of control data back to the phone (touchscreen events, "Hey Siri", dial/button events, and the aforementioned display area resize notifications). It's a pretty simple protocol overall.
    razorpitwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 16
    While CarPlay saw its first major overhaul with iOS 13 in 2019, future versions may look radically different. A new patent application shows Apple looking to integrate CarPlay much more deeply into cars. To present its navigation information, especially, to drivers in the most useful, and least distracting way, future CarPlay may display its information in the car's regular dashboard controls.

"Instrument cluster metadata to support second screen," US Patent No 10,594,850, describes both the intention of keeping a driver's attention better focused, and also what CarPlay will have to do to achieve this.“
    This functionality was added in iOS 10 and talked about during the WWDC Keynote.  That being said, I have yet to see it work in an actual car. Every time I take our 2017 car in for service I ask if there is a software update available for the car to see if this has been added but so far no.

Edit: Eddy Cue talks about it right around the 1:08:30 mark... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5jXg_NNiCA
    edited March 2020 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member
    red oak said:

Apple really shi* the bed here.  Huge amount of money spent,  no go to market plan, aimless research and patents

Thanks for clarifying. How long have you sat in the executive suite?

Yeah no, you have no idea. We have no idea. And the window is hardly closing; poster boy Tesla is struggling to even generate profit, so it's anybody's game and will be for a long time.
    razorpitBeatsjony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,879member

Nah. 
    What's your point? You have nearly twenty-year-old cars. Besides CarPlay there are many other features (safety among them) your cars are lacking. But nobody is going to force you to upgrade.
    razorpitBeatsllama
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator

"Instrument cluster metadata to support second screen," US Patent No 10,594,850, describes both the intention of keeping a driver's attention better focused, and also what CarPlay will have to do to achieve this.“
    This functionality was added in iOS 10 and talked about during the WWDC Keynote.  That being said, I have yet to see it work in an actual car. Every time I take our 2017 car in for service I ask if there is a software update available for the car to see if this has been added but so far no.

Edit: Eddy Cue talks about it right around the 1:08:30 mark... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5jXg_NNiCA
    This is an expansion of what Cue was talking about -- and you're right, almost nothing has been said about it, and it hasn't really been implemented anywhere.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    sirozha said:
    Apple Car? Seriously?

The only hope for the Apple car is if TSLA plummets to $250 on low sales and plant closure, and Tim Cook finally has the guts to do a hostile takeover, offering about $60 billion for it. 

Huh?
  • Reply 14 of 16
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    red oak said:

Thanks for clarifying. How long have you sat in the executive suite?

Yeah no, you have no idea. We have no idea. And the window is hardly closing; poster boy Tesla is struggling to even generate profit, so it's anybody's game and will be for a long time.

9,600 posts in 4 years.  Remarkable.  This must be your full time job.  Hopefully, you own enough Apple stock to make it worth the time you’ve spent here 
  • Reply 15 of 16

Nah. 
    What's your point? You have nearly twenty-year-old cars. Besides CarPlay there are many other features (safety among them) your cars are lacking. But nobody is going to force you to upgrade.
    My intent was not primarily to trombone my ignorance nor to boast of the insanely economical value provided by our 20-year-old General Motors vehicles. Nay, t'was merely a note of the passage of time: At some point, the hole in the board's dash became the space for a Head Unit, which seemingly became such a commonplace term that it no longer required explanation. Meanwhile, a dotard who is modern on land with Apple products gets to enjoy a Head Unit (which as a dual-DIN could be replaced ... thanks, AI!) that lacks a functional CD, with FM that only appears, inaudibly, through the cracked front speakers,  but can reliably produce two AM stations via the rear speakers.

So, yeah, prolly no point, eh? Just enjoying life, learning about Head Units and whatnot. Stay Punk. (Or whatever genre grabs you.)
    watto_cobraFileMakerFeller
  • Reply 16 of 16
    dpkrohdpkroh Posts: 34member
    This is GREAT news.  We have a 2018 Mazda CX-5 with windshield projected HUD and a 2020 Kia Soul with a HUD that projects into a pop up panel above the dash behind the steering wheel.  The HUD are excellent for keeping eyes on the road.  Despite Apple & Google Maps, and Waze being far superior navigation apps, I often use the native navigation in the cars,  so everything can be seen on the HUD and eyes can stay on the road.

Even though both vehicles have CarPlay support and good sized central dash screens, those central screens are a distraction from the road, while HUD keeps your eyes on the road.  This is the Achilles heel of CarPlay... lacking HUD support,

IIRC CarPlay was also built to allow control of some car functions, like the climate control, door locks, etc using Siri, but I don’t think it has ever been implemented in any car.  Again the Mazda and Kia have their own voice command systems, but they suck compared to Siri.... and sometimes accidentally activate instead of Siri when giving commands.  
    watto_cobra