Apple TV+ 'Oprah Talks COVID-19' launches as free-to-view show

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
A new series has launched on Apple TV+ starring Oprah Winfrey, with "Oprah Talks COVID-19" covering the ongoing coronavirus pandemic by holding discussions with experts and people affected by the globally-spread virus.

Tim Cook and Oprah Winfrey

In a bid to help people who may be affected by the coronavirus epidemic, or are worried by the virus' effect on society, the new show on Apple TV aims to examine how the virus is being fought. Through video calls, conversations are recorded between Oprah Winfrey and guests, discussing the virus, efforts to alleviate its effects, and how victims are coping.

"How can we mindfully move through a crisis while holding on to ourselves and our humanity?" the description for the show in the Apple TV app asks. "In this series, Oprah has remote conversations with experts and everyday people to provide insight, meaning, and tangible advice for the human spirit."

The first episode has Oprah speaking to actor Idris Elba his partner Sabrina Dhowre. Elba hit the news after he publicly confirmed on March 16 he was tested positive for COVID-19, and that he is self-isolating with his family to prevent further exposure of the virus.

In a tweet on Saturday, Oprah confirmed she had been isolating herself at home for a week. "I know a lot of people are feeling stressed, overwhelmed, and uncertain," wrote Winfrey. "Because of that, I want to offer some hope and gather thought leaders and people going through it to add some perspective."

"Oprah Talks COVID-19 is currently available to view for free to everyone, without the need for an Apple TV+ subscription.

The simply-produced and quickly-created show is a notable addition to the Apple TV+ roster, especially as other productions are temporarily shut down because of the coronavirus.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,858administrator
    As a reminder, we have commenting guidelines. They exist for a reason, and are conveniently available to you with a link on the bottom of every forum page.
    edited March 2020 EsquireCatsdjames4242fastasleep
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Oprah talking to other privileged celebrities is not worth watching, nor is she an expert on COVID. It is disgusting that celebrities and sports figures with no symptoms are getting tested, and then flaunting about it on their Twitter accounts from their mansions.  
    NotWhoYouThinkElCapitan
  • Reply 3 of 17
    markbyrnmarkbyrn Posts: 661member
    I'm glad I don't pay for Apple TV+ and never will. 
    ElCapitanlkrupptrashman69chemengin1
  • Reply 4 of 17
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,309member
    Oprah talking to other privileged celebrities is not worth watching, nor is she an expert on COVID. It is disgusting that celebrities and sports figures with no symptoms are getting tested, and then flaunting about it on their Twitter accounts from their mansions.  
    I saw this on twitter:

"For the average American, the best way to tell if you have covid-19, is to cough in a rich person’s face and wait for their test results,"
    StrangeDaysElCapitan
  • Reply 5 of 17
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    I don't like Oprah either but I don't see the negative in this. Seems good if anything.
    StrangeDaysEsquireCats
  • Reply 6 of 17
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,834member
    markbyrn said:
    I'm glad I don't pay for Apple TV+ and never will. 
    Hey thanks for letting me know, I was really worried you wouldn’t feel it was of value to you. Phew!
    EsquireCatsdjames4242ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 7 of 17

Reading not your thing? FTA:

“by holding discussions with experts”
    EsquireCatsronn
  • Reply 8 of 17
    It is actually quite good for everyone to watch.
    It is about a couple that is totally a-symptomatic yet are quarantined because they both tested positive.
    I imagine that there are many people like them who have not been tested.
    The interview appears to have been beautifully done over FaceTime.

EsquireCatsBeatstyler82ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 9 of 17
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    Considering that the message is still not being taken seriously, I think involving a popular and trusted celebrity is good way to package the information for a wide audience.

Despite consistent health warnings, we are constantly witnessing individuals who don't appear to fully grasp the seriousness of the situation. Worse still, there appears to be a small, but stubborn community of people who are sticking their head in the sand because the various curfews and closures are inconvenient for them.

No matter your opinion of Apple, Oprah, or seemingly how this has become a partisan issue in the USA (which utterly beggars belief) - you should all be cognisant of why throwing everything at this, including Oprah, is important.
    tmaydjames4242ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 10 of 17
    nethan9nethan9 Posts: 20member
    Oprah, cover-19 expert 🤔😂
  • Reply 11 of 17
    nethan9 said:
    Oprah, cover-19 expert ߤ䰟肦lt;/div>
    nethan9, spelling expert

I don’t see any issue with this. If it helps make some people realize the seriousness of the situation and maybe create behavioral change that’s good for all of us. 
    edited March 2020 Beatsdjames4242ronnfastasleep
  • Reply 12 of 17
    Oprah 😂😂😂

Apple TV is such a disappointment.  

• Reply 13 of 17
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    Oprah has about a 40-year track record of enthusiastic followers who hang on her every word. So the use of her as a host is a good tactic by Apple. Allowing her to lead technical or medical discussions, though, is kind of problematic given the mythologizing she has inflicted on people over that same period.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    13485 said:
    Oprah has about a 40-year track record of enthusiastic followers who hang on her every word. So the use of her as a host is a good tactic by Apple. Allowing her to lead technical or medical discussions, though, is kind of problematic given the mythologizing she has inflicted on people over that same period.
    Not really, it's not any different than any other other on any other network -- they host guest experts and merely facilitate the discussion. It's fine.
    ronn
  • Reply 15 of 17
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    She may not be an expert but she gives comfort to millions in America, like it or not. That comfort is needed to help people not explode out of panic and desperation. Unfortunately, our president is not up to the task on that.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 17
    1348513485 Posts: 343member
    Sorry, not fine at all.

Oprah has inflicted on us:

Dr Oz--certified cardio-thoracic surgeon, personal health pseudoscience crackpot. Dr. Phil--not an actual licensed psychologist.  Vaccine Denier Jenny McCarthy. Oprah's own promotion of The Secret--which basically says if you wish it to be so, it makes it so. The Universe will provide anything for you if you really, really want it to. Suzanne Sommers extensive mystical BS. John of God, the Brazilian faith healer / child rapist / sex slave farmer who Oprah almost fainted in the presence of, "an overwhelming sense of peace".

Yeah, no problem.

• Reply 17 of 17
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    Oprah 😂😂😂

Apple TV is such a disappointment.  

Your comment history is disproportionately Oprah-heavy. You clearly don't like her. WE GET IT.
    ronn