Best Buy shifts to curbside store service to fight coronavirus [u: reopening]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2020
Best Buy is reducing its store services in the face of the coronavirus pandemic, with the major third-party Apple retailer moving to offering curbside service at all of its stores, with customers prevented from entering any of its US stores on a temporary basis.

Best Buy

Update, April 29, 2020: Best Buy is slowly moving forward with reopening plans after halting in-store sales at its chain of stores in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The big box retailer will in May begin offering scheduled in-store consultations at about 200 of its 1,000 U.S. stores, CNBC reported on Wednesday. This procedure calls for an employee to follow a customer around a store at a safe distance as they shop. The employee will wipe down products both before and after demonstrations.

Also to return are in-home delivery, installation and repairs, but with new safety precautions.

Original story follows.

In the latest move to provide services to customers while minimizing the spread of the coronavirus, Best Buy is shifting its retail strategy to an "enhanced curbside service" on an interim basis. Starting from Sunday and except where otherwise directed by state and local authorities, customers will have to make their purchases from outside the store.

Customers can order from the Best Buy website or app and request pickup at their local store, which will be handed over to them at the curb outside their selected location. In instances where a customer cannot place an online order but there is stock of the product in store, employees will retrieve the item from the store and sell it to the customer at the curb.

Orders for delivery direct to homes is still being offered, with slight changes for larger products such as washing machines. Appliances will still be delivered to a customer's door, but all in-home installation and repair has been temporarily suspended, with a view to later rescheduling. In-home consultations are also continuing, but virtually.

Employees at the retailer have been informed they do not have to work if they do not feel comfortable, and to stay home if they are feeling sick, with pay. Field employees who have lost hours will be paid for two weeks at their normal wage rate, based on their average hours worked over the last 10 weeks.

"The situation we're facing as a company and as individuals is unprecedented and changing at a pace all of us are working to keep up with," said CEO Corie Barry in a statement.

At the same time as announcing the restricted store policies, Barry advised Best Buy is "seeing a surge in demand across the country for products that people need to work or learn from home, as well as those products that allow people to refrigerate or freeze food."

Best Buy is the latest store to implement special measures in relation to COVID-19, but while relatively extreme, it isn't a complete closure of physical retail operations, such as the decision by Apple on May 17 to temporarily close all of its retail outlets.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    XedXed Posts: 2,568member
    I've been loving this option. In the past week I've used it twice to do a pick up in under an hour.  I hope it sticks around after everything is open again.
    StrangeDays
  • Reply 2 of 16

Update:
    Best Buy is slowly moving forward with reopening plans after shuttering in-store sales at its chain of stores in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. The big box retailer will in May begin offering scheduled in-store consultations at about 200 of its 1,000 U.S. stores, CNBC reported on Wednesday. This procedure calls for an employee to follow a customer around a store at a safe distance as they shop. The employee will wipe down products both before and after demonstrations.

Also to return are in-home delivery, installation and repairs, but with new safety precautions.
    That's crazy!  How many customers are going to be allowed in the store at once?  Five?  Or is BB going to hire a fleet of "shadows"?

Funny that at places like Costco and Sams Club, no "shadow" is needed.  Sounds sort of creepy...like shopping at a car lot!  Always that pesky salesman right behind you!

edited April 2020 cgWerks
  • Reply 3 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Isn't this old news?

I remember getting emails from best buy a long time ago about their curbside pickup.

As for employees following customers around the store and each customer getting their own personal shadow, I suppose that one added benefit is that it's a pretty good way to cut down on theft. :D

Anyway, more and more places are going to begin starting to open up soon I think. This lockdown stuff has outplayed its welcome in my opinion.

I also agree with Elon Musk about the comments he made during the TSLA conference call. 
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 4 of 16
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    apple ][ said:
    Isn't this old news?

I remember getting emails from best buy a long time ago about their curbside pickup.

As for employees following customers around the store and each customer getting their own personal shadow, I suppose that one added benefit is that it's a pretty good way to cut down on theft. :D

Anyway, more and more places are going to begin starting to open up soon I think. This lockdown stuff has outplayed its welcome in my opinion.

I also agree with Elon Musk about the comments he made during the TSLA conference call. 
    A cranky old man that has no care for other lives would agree with Musk. It’s funny how all healthcare workers are begging people to stay home so they don’t have to deal with more deaths and people like you who don’t care what the experts say. 
    chasmGeorgeBMacStrangeDays
  • Reply 5 of 16
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    A cranky old man that has no care for other lives would agree with Musk. It’s funny how all healthcare workers are begging people to stay home so they don’t have to deal with more deaths and people like you who don’t care what the experts say. 
    Many of the so-called "experts" have been wrong every step of the way now.  I don't listen to what those people say, especially when they've been proven wrong and their wild doomsday scenarios and ridiculous fear mongering hasn't come true.

Their predictions have been about as accurate as any random analyst asshat who makes predictions about Apple.

And no, not all healthcare workers are begging people to stay at home. Quite a few have come out and said the complete opposite.

There are certain state govts that have taken things much too far with their fascist nonsense. They're letting dangerous criminals out of jail, and the police are spending time on going after a mother who lets her child play with the neighbors child and the police are spending their time on harassing an old couple that is sitting on the beach minding their own business not in close proximity to anybody else. 

If somebody is very old or very sick or has pre existing conditions, then they are the ones who should isolate and quarantine, not the general public. Let them isolate for the next 10 years if they want, that's their choice. You can't keep everybody locked up inside forever. 
  • Reply 6 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    Did this the other day. It's nice but their "price match guarantee" service is an absolute NIGHTMARE. You have to send a link to a chat representative. Problem is, it'll take hours and if your display sleeps it kicks you out.

Warning, don't expect this top be contactless, I had the window rolled down and the employee just walked up to me and handed me the stuff, touched my hand gloveless and everything haha. There is an option to have them drop it in your trunk which I would recommend if you don't want contact.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    apple ][ said:
    Many of the so-called "experts" have been wrong every step of the way now.  I don't listen to what those people say, especially when they've been proven wrong and their wild doomsday scenarios and ridiculous fear mongering hasn't come true.

Their predictions have been about as accurate as any random analyst asshat who makes predictions about Apple.

And no, not all healthcare workers are begging people to stay at home. Quite a few have come out and said the complete opposite.

There are certain state govts that have taken things much too far with their fascist nonsense. They're letting dangerous criminals out of jail, and the police are spending time on going after a mother who lets her child play with the neighbors child and the police are spending their time on harassing an old couple that is sitting on the beach minding their own business not in close proximity to anybody else. 

If somebody is very old or very sick or has pre existing conditions, then they are the ones who should isolate and quarantine, not the general public. Let them isolate for the next 10 years if they want, that's their choice. You can't keep everybody locked up inside forever. 

The only "expert" who has been consistently wrong is the orange colored, self proclaimed wanna be fascist dictator with the "greatest brain".
    ...  Oh!  I'm sorry!   I forgot!  It's all China's fault that 60,000 Americans suffered unnecessary death.   Never mind!
    StrangeDaysdewme
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I thought BestBuy had been doing this for awhile now...

In any case, it gets a big shrug from me because, effectively, that's mostly how I shop there anyway:   Order online and then pick it up at the pick up window about an hour later.

Especially with electronics I prefer shopping online because it gives me a better chance to get the detailed information on what I'm buying as well as comparison shop.  But, unless I need the thing immediately I tend to do most of my electronic type shopping on EBay.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    BeatsBeats Posts: 3,073member
    "This procedure calls for an employee to follow a customer around a store at a safe distance as they shop."

Funny. Looking for the women who will call him a creep.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    apple ][ said:

The only "expert" who has been consistently wrong is the orange colored, self proclaimed wanna be fascist dictator with the "greatest brain".
    ...  Oh!  I'm sorry!   I forgot!  It's all China's fault that 60,000 Americans suffered unnecessary death.   Never mind!
    Ha ha ha. TDS much? Most of us know how to wash our hands, cover our coughs and sneezes and can keep a reasonable distance. Not hard. It ain't voodoo - it's science!
  • Reply 11 of 16
    macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

Ha ha ha. TDS much? Most of us know how to wash our hands, cover our coughs and sneezes and can keep a reasonable distance. Not hard. It ain't voodoo - it's science!
    This shouldn't be difficult and yet these concepts are very hard to understand by a certain type of voter.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/30/pence-didnt-know-masks-required-at-mayo-clinic-wife-claims/
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/490758-georgia-governor-says-he-didnt-know-asymptomatic-people-could-spread
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 12 of 16
    macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

🦪🦪TDS?
      No, the derangement is all on the right.  
    I just have a preference for truth and reality.  
  • Reply 13 of 16
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

ߦ갟檔DS?
    Why are you talking about Trump again, and all those evil old Republicans? Really, every thread needs to be polluted with your partisan politics. Yes, we all know you don't like him. We get it. Gosh do we get it. What's that got to do with Best Buy? Geesh....

The one thing you've said today that I can agree with is that the current pandemic may be the final push towards online from a brick and mortar shopping experience. Personally I don't see in-store retail recovering to pre-pandemic levels, and that includes Best Buy.  
    edited April 2020
  • Reply 14 of 16
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,884member
    apple ][ said:

No, they haven’t. They’ve adjusted the estimated numbers based on high levels of compliance thus far. Yet we still have over a million infected and over 60,000 dead in just two months. More than US deaths in the entire 10-year Vietnam War. 

The only guy who has been wrong every step of the way is the president — claiming it would be down to 0 in weeks, would all go away, was a hoax, etc etc. 

We don’t need to keep people locked up forever, but we have the expendable GDP to pay people to stay home for months, until PPE and other equipment and testing can be ramped up. We need ample supplies of PPE and testing to eliminate quarantine and allow social commerce. It is a gross act of incompetence that the federal response has been so completely disorganized and still failing to provide PPE and test kit supplies. States should not be bidding against each other, and nurses shouldn’t be wearing trash bags — this is the USA, the richest nation in the world. Pathetic. 

You watch too much fake news. 
    edited April 2020 dewmeGeorgeBMac
  • Reply 15 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

ߦ갟檔DS?
    Why are you talking about Trump again, and all those evil old Republicans? Really, every thread needs to be polluted with your partisan politics. Yes, we all know you don't like him. We get it. Gosh do we get it. What's that got to do with Best Buy? Geesh....

The one thing you've said today that I can agree with is that the current pandemic may be the final push towards online from a brick and mortar shopping experience. Personally I don't see in-store retail recovering to pre-pandemic levels, and that includes Best Buy.  

Just calling bull to the pro-Trump, right wing propaganda being spewed by the Trumpers.  

• Reply 16 of 16
    gatorguy said:
    macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

macmarcus said:
    apple ][ said:

ߦ갟檔DS?

Just calling bull to the pro-Trump, right wing propaganda being spewed by the Trumpers.  

In your defense, Apple ][ opened the door when he parroted Trump with his "many of the so-called 'experts' have been wrong" comments. 
    GeorgeBMac