macOS 10.15.4 brings enhanced HDR support, custom reference modes for Pro Display XDR

Posted:
in macOS edited August 2020
The newly released macOS 10.15.4 Catalina update for Mac has delivered improved support for any high dynamic range monitor as well as customized reference modes for the Pro Display XDR.

macOS Catalina
macOS Catalina

After updating to 10.15.4, users with monitors that support high dynamic range -- or HDR -- will now see a checkbox within the Display section of System Preferences. Ticking this box will automatically adjust the display to show high dynamic range content.

New high dynamic range option in Display settings
New high dynamic range option in Display settings

As it pertains to Apple's Pro Display XDR, the new customized reference modes came as a firmware update to the monitor itself. There does not appear to be any way to get the firmware update, without having macOS 10.15.4.

Custom presets for the Pro Display XDR
Custom presets for the Pro Display XDR

Apple highlighted the change in the macOS 10.15.4 release notes. The company specifically noted "customized reference modes that you can tailor to specific workflow needs by selecting from several color gamut, white point, luminance, and transfer function options."

Additionally, Apple has published a new support document that explains how to use the new reference modes. These modes will allow advanced users to create tailored modes for different workflows by choosing different "color gamut, white point, luminance, and transfer function options".

Stability improvements are also found in the 2.2.2 Pro Display XDR firmware.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    I have my mini with 10.15.4 hooked up to an HDR tv and I don't get that option.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    ciegetank said:
    I have my mini with 10.15.4 hooked up to an HDR tv and I don't get that option.
    We've seen it on a Mac mini connected to a TV through a receiver, a Mac Pro connected to a 4K HDR display, and several MacBook Pro models connected to a HDR display.  Without standing in front of your hardware, I suspect that your HDMI cable can't handle the bitrate, isn't plugged into what may be the only HDR-compatible port, or HDR isn't enabled on the television.
    edited March 2020 caladanianfastasleepciegetankwatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 9
    And finally the support for my eGPU is back... I use a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway box and and RX 580 on a 2019 13" MacBook Pro. Before Catalina, everything worked perfectly. Since Catalina, I was unable to start with the eGPU plugged in and many programs would ignore it unless in clamshell mode. Not to mention many other glitches that were fixed gradually in .2 and .3 revisions, but this one was by far the worst for my workflow. I swear I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever again update the MacOS before the .4 revision.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    And finally the support for my eGPU is back... I use a Sonnet eGFX Breakaway box and and RX 580 on a 2019 13" MacBook Pro. Before Catalina, everything worked perfectly. Since Catalina, I was unable to start with the eGPU plugged in and many programs would ignore it unless in clamshell mode. Not to mention many other glitches that were fixed gradually in .2 and .3 revisions, but this one was by far the worst for my workflow. I swear I will never, ever, ever, ever, ever again update the MacOS before the .4 revision.
    Probably good policy. I still haven’t upgraded either of my “working” Macs to Catalina. I plan to hold off until the betas of this years Mac OS are coming out. No rush here. 
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Updating to the latest Catalina immediate made my 3 external LG monitors look like trash. I had to turn off HDR to make them look decent again. 2 of the monitors running off an eGPU are running OK after turning off HDR, but the 3rd is ALWAYS receiving an HDR signal no matter how I set the settings. So annoying! Hope Apple fixes this soon.
    edited March 2020
  • Reply 6 of 9
    Well that was fun! My MacMini is hooked up using a Thunderbolt to DP cable and after the update I got a black screen. Couldn’t see anything in safe mode or recovery mode or internet recovery mode... In desperation I robbed the HDMI cable from our TV - it worked. Haven’t investigated HDR settings. Perhaps this was the cause?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    tnw2933tnw2933 Posts: 13member
    I have the late 2019 Mac Pro running Catalina 10.15.14 with the Apple Pro XDR Display.  Supposedly there is a firmware update to version 2.2.2 for the Pro XDR Display.  I have shut down the Mac, started it back up, disconnected the Pro XDR Thunderbolt cable and reconnected.  I have not been offered the new firmware and I have confirmed that I am still on the original firmware that shipped with the Apple Pro XDR display.  Has anyone with a late 2019 Mac Pro and the Pro XDR display been offered the firmware update for this monitor?

Tom 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 9
    webweaselwebweasel Posts: 137member
      “Perhaps this was the cause?“

Well it does look like it was some kind of display profile issue. I changed some settings and it seems to work fine with DP again. Shame it couldn’t fail more gracefully...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    Well this is update is buggy as hell on my late 2012 iMac. 10.15.3 was great no issues and now computer is crashing and seeing the spinning wheel of death when opening applications. No good. Hope they have a fix on the way. Stupes😭